Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I have a game going as Ottomans that I was doing as some kind of test for the Silk Road achievement but I was having fun and got distracted and I am just conquering India now it seems, any suggestions for my next idea group? Also are Ottomans eligible for the Master of India achievement?

I Westernized by grabbing Vienna and I'm caught up on Admin tech, 2 tech levels behind current on Dip, 15 years ahead on Mil. France is the big bad guy in Europe, having inherited Castile.

I decided to go Orthodox because both Lithuania and Aragon in my first 10 years were without heirs, but I never did manage to get a personal union, still, didn't slow me down any.

Unfortunately, France grabbed a province in India, I had nearly cut off the competition there, but I should be able to beat them and their allies Poland and Portugal.

My idea groups right now are Humanist, Offensive, Influence, and Quality. I don't think I need anything income-related as I have a monthly income of +70 at peace with 3 +3 advisors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Ottomans are eligible for Master of India, as their starting capital is in Europe:

code:
achievement_master_of_india = {
	id = 24

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		capital_scope = {
			continent = europe
		}
	}

happened = {
		indian_region = {
			type = all
			owned_by = ROOT
			is_core = ROOT
		}
	}
}

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wow. France was extra upset with Castille in your game. I've never seen them go that far before.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stevefin posted:

This

So I decided to have an Ironman Russia game with no real goal in mind. And I have hit a little snag when it comes to the Europe theater.

For being heavy on lucky nations, Not many managed to survive to keep it.

The Ottomans had a very bad first war, in that they got dog piled by Venice, Mamluks and even Byzantium. keeping them alive a little longer than expected, Ottomans did come back, But not for long.

France...I am not sure what happened here, Burgandy seems to want to go big red blob, Netherlands revolted, and was quickly suppressed violently

Spain and GB have had very normal games, Austria too if you don't count loosing the HRE in the first week, giving it to Bohemia. like to belive I am in a strong position, But some one is in an even stronger one, The Commonwealth .

They are really insanely powerful and seem to have kept their lucky nation tag. wars are very painful since if I don't have stacks twice as large I will get destroyed in the first month from moral depletion . He is running around with 100k stacks. I can run around with 300k, if I could afford that in manpower and in gold per month.

I think I found my goal, Live long enough till I can throw enough manpower at the problem :v:

Why does it look like comic sans? How could you do this?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Tsyni posted:

Why does it look like comic sans? How could you do this?

he has that stupid polandball mod because I guess he really likes racist reddit comics

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Node posted:

Wow. France was extra upset with Castille in your game. I've never seen them go that far before.

I had France PU and integrate Castille once. It was actually great since A) I wasn't in Europe and thus it wasn't my problem and B) it stopped Castille from colonising all over the place.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my current game Spain formed with Aragonese ideas. Castille is still around with about 3 provinces to its name (and some colonies). They are allied to one another AND to France. It's an awful alliance to break apart.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Node posted:

Castile

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Not a question about the DLCs, but instead, as someone who played EU3 a LONG time ago and played a fair bit of CK2, I have EUIV and the first two expansions from a Humble Bundle, but I picked up Art of War in the sale. Whats a good tutorial series to watch considering I'll be starting from Art of War? I wouldn't have got anywhere in the other two games without a Youtube tutorial series!

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

he has that stupid polandball mod because I guess he really likes racist reddit comics

I just like the look of it and adds a little sillyness changing flags and units to balls with eyes

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fat Turkey posted:

Not a question about the DLCs, but instead, as someone who played EU3 a LONG time ago and played a fair bit of CK2, I have EUIV and the first two expansions from a Humble Bundle, but I picked up Art of War in the sale. Whats a good tutorial series to watch considering I'll be starting from Art of War? I wouldn't have got anywhere in the other two games without a Youtube tutorial series!

I'd say if you're already somewhat familiar with EU and paradox games in general, search youtube for "EU4 common sense <country>", where <country> is a nation that you're thinking about playing as. Then watch any series that comes up that isn't too obnoxious or low quality. There aren't really tutorial series afaik because of how much the game has changed with some of the major patches and expansions, but watching a competent and non-annoying LP of any country post-common sense should give you a decent idea of how to go about doing things.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Quill18 and Arumba are popular youtubers that play eu4, and their videos do show a lot about the game, I personally learned about the game from Shernryyr though...

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Turkey posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Europa%20Universalis%20IV

Anyone with more than 50'ish viewers is usually a competent player doing achievement or gimmick runs. If you tune in live they are usually pretty responsive to chat and will answer questions or at least talk about their decision making

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

I really like Marbozir's EU IV Let's Plays

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Stevefin posted:

I just like the look of it and adds a little sillyness changing flags and units to balls with eyes

If only it were possible to change the eyes based on their attitude towards you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just for shits and giggles I chose illinois. Just lol what is the point even. You can't do anything at all. Is there some value to playing as the Natives that doesn't have yiu just sitting around?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jastiger posted:

Just for shits and giggles I chose illinois. Just lol what is the point even. You can't do anything at all. Is there some value to playing as the Natives that doesn't have yiu just sitting around?

You can migrate every few years. Try doing that, then go conquer everyone.

e: that requires conquest of paradise; if you don't have that dlc, do not play north american natives. just don't.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Yeah that's Illinois for you

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
North American natives are basically just map filler. The Inca, Aztec, and Maya have some mechanics to make for interesting but difficult runs. North America is mostly just waiting for the colonizers to show up and take your land.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Common Sense is on sale, but Steam reviews are Mixed. Is CS worth it at $10?

I should have just checked the last page, getting it now.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kalos posted:

North American natives are basically just map filler. The Inca, Aztec, and Maya have some mechanics to make for interesting but difficult runs. North America is mostly just waiting for the colonizers to show up and take your land.

So you're telling me that EUIV is historically accurate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It sucks because the Cherokee, Iroquois, and Huron have great idea sets.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Star posted:

Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

It was still one of the most fun games I've had. I guess it's the most difficult achievement for people in this thread because it's impossible to do while maintaining pretty borders.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Tahirovic posted:

It was still one of the most fun games I've had. I guess it's the most difficult achievement for people in this thread because it's impossible to do while maintaining pretty borders.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was to fun try and balance your AE in the HRE until you became large enough to just not give a drat. But the first century or so was kind of rough, especially since Austria allied all the minor Italian powers meaning I had to expand northwards until I could take them on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yeah. I have absolutely NO DLC, so I have no idea what I can do with the Illinois. I wanted to make Colonists and take the Glorious Iowa province, but It was literally 1500 and I hadn't figured out how to colonize an unpopulated province yet. So..yeah, thats a little frustrating. I really wanted to build a Midwestern United States alliance that fucks up the United States when they show up.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Ah yeah. I have absolutely NO DLC

I know it sucks to buy the game and then be told that you have to buy the DLC to make it fun, but seriously, buy the DLC if you plan on playing more than like two hours ever. At least the big expansion packs - Common Sense and Art of War are basically must haves, and really Res Publica and Wealth of Nations are worth getting too. You can probably skip the natives-centric ones (Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado) if you don't plan on colonizing/exploring or playing in America.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Ah yeah. I have absolutely NO DLC, so I have no idea what I can do with the Illinois. I wanted to make Colonists and take the Glorious Iowa province, but It was literally 1500 and I hadn't figured out how to colonize an unpopulated province yet. So..yeah, thats a little frustrating. I really wanted to build a Midwestern United States alliance that fucks up the United States when they show up.

Doing what you're trying to do is a) one of the most difficult things to do in EU4 and b) literally impossible without DLC.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep posted:

I know it sucks to buy the game and then be told that you have to buy the DLC to make it fun, but seriously, buy the DLC if you plan on playing more than like two hours ever. At least the big expansion packs - Common Sense and Art of War are basically must haves, and really Res Publica and Wealth of Nations are worth getting too. You can probably skip the natives-centric ones (Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado) if you don't plan on colonizing/exploring or playing in America.

Thats frustrating. I was going through my backlog of games to play since I'm on a game buying freeze, and the expansions are quite a bit of cash, even on sale. Bleh. I guess I'll just stick with a European focus then.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first time I've seen someone besides the Emperor inherit Burgundy. :staredog:

Savoy was RM'd and allied so according to the events, they are in fact supposed to inherit over the Emperor. Unfortunately I'm the Switzerland right there so this will probably be a restart, lol.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Larry Parrish posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone besides the Emperor inherit Burgundy. :staredog:

Savoy was RM'd and allied so according to the events, they are in fact supposed to inherit over the Emperor. Unfortunately I'm the Switzerland right there so this will probably be a restart, lol.

Don't you have to share a land border too?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Probably Emperor passed to some small power like lol Hesse. You have to be 8+ provinces as non-Austria Emperor to inherit during the Burgundian Inheritance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalos posted:

If you know what you're doing and prepare with the right ideas, you can survive and thrive after first contact. The most important thing is westernizing and getting the event to switch to Christianity ASAP, which will remove the colonizers' casus belli and desire to go to war with you.

e: although, I do thing the NA natives need a bit of a redo after Common Sense, since most of their buildings are still balanced without the changes in mind.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 5, 2015

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
So...I think I've found a bug. Bremen was the emperor. I took their capital (Bremen, obviously) in a war. Someone else--Luneburg, I think---forced them to release Brunswick, which was both of their remaining provinces. So Bremen no longer exists, right?

But they're still the emperor. On the HRE panel, Bremen shows up as the emperor, but they're missing from the elector window (they were also an elector). I've waited a couple of months, and there hasn't been an election. Does this mean the emperor will never change, since Bremen doesn't technically have a ruler? When I mouse over their shield on the HRE panel, it says that Heinrich II Savoia is the emperor, but right-clicking and choosing the diplomacy option just takes me to my own diplomacy screen.

I checked to see what would happen if I declared war on a member state, and while Bremen said they would join, they didn't actually, presumably because they don't exist. They also show up as still at war with Trier, whom they were fighting when they were destroyed. I guess that ends the HRE as a going concern, then. Anybody seen this before?

edit: Saving and loading doesn't change anything, even after waiting a couple of months. Bizarre.

jwalrus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fister Roboto posted:

If you know what you're doing and prepare with the right ideas, you can survive and thrive after first contact. The most important thing is westernizing and getting the event to switch to Christianity ASAP, which will remove the colonizers' casus belli and desire to go to war with you.

e: although, I do thing the NA natives need a bit of a redo after Common Sense, since most of their buildings are still balanced without the changes in mind.
Frankly, I'm annoyed that the central and south american natives have access to religious reforms that make their religion pretty amazing, while the north americans still need to go christian.

This is on top of the laughable poverty of the entirety of the north america - I guess somebody said that was inadvertent, though.

Really, I'm rather unenthused with common sense in general. Wish I hadn't dropped the ten bucks, even with the sale.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BeAuMaN posted:

So you're telling me that EUIV is historically accurate.

Not at all. There was a huge amount of people in the Americas, and loads going on. Then the Europeans (and their animals) showed up, and disease hosed everything up and killed >90% of the population. None of that is modelled in the game at all really, because Johan and Wiz think it wouldn't be fun. I disagree.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kalos posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Strudel Man posted:

Frankly, I'm annoyed that the central and south american natives have access to religious reforms that make their religion pretty amazing, while the north americans still need to go christian.

This is on top of the laughable poverty of the entirety of the north america - I guess somebody said that was inadvertent, though.

Really, I'm rather unenthused with common sense in general. Wish I hadn't dropped the ten bucks, even with the sale.

You are hurting me :cry:

North America is poor for tastefulness reasons. You could make North America substantially less poor, but then you'd have to simulate a rolling disease holocaust wiping out everything you've worked for about 50 years into the game. Maybe that's what needs to happen, maybe players will just be pissed off. It's hard to figure out where to draw the line in a game about imperialism.

It's definitely possible to do well as a north american native and I encourage you to try playing them. You can definitely survive, although almost all games end up like this:
  • Get big
  • Border Europe
  • Tech up
  • Westernize
  • Continue as normal

One problem that can happen as a result is that your peers won't often do this, meaning that you either get wiped out by Europe or end up devouring everyone else. When you gaze into the abyss, etc. etc. Tech groups need to really turn into something more like "techno-cultural spheres" where the actions of some members can affect the priorities of other members, etc.

It's hard to do north america right, in part because many of the groups in north america only have alt-history :( Still, I think that the confederation mechanics should be fleshed out more to better represent the ohio river valley confederations and especially the plains confederations.

For what it's trying to do, though, it does a reasonable job. North Americans are under a ton of pressure and will generally only survive as substantially reduced (and often christianized) states. It's harsh, but it's a harsh game sometimes.

North America is waaaay better than it was on release.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Not at all. There was a huge amount of people in the Americas, and loads going on. Then the Europeans (and their animals) showed up, and disease hosed everything up and killed >90% of the population. None of that is modelled in the game at all really, because Johan and Wiz think it wouldn't be fun. I disagree.
Getting an event that kills of 90% of your development and shatters your country into several migrating tribes when your government collapses would be fun?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A problem with modeling pre-Columbian North America is just how murky our knowledge of it gets. Archaeology and oral history only take you so far, especially out west.

The Comanche shouldn't even be separate from the Shoshone (and the Shoshone shouldn't have Cherokee names) before the 1700s.

Maybe some Aleut/Inuit/Eskimo peoples up in Canada can make it seem more busy than the game makes it look. Put some more dudes in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If you go Christian as a native American state you have failed your people and your ancestors and the Wolf Spirit spits on you.

:mad:

EDIT: it is a defacto game loss state

• Locked thread