Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CrazyTolradi posted:

Has there been any report on this? I've been looking around news sites all night for any update to see if it fell over or went ahead. I know the current round of negotiations were extended by a day and that Australia and Japan were heavily opposed t0 extending medical patents to 8 years.

Hopefully they can't come to an agreement because there's a lot of talk that if they can't reach a deal during this round, it's not going to happen,

They keep this poo poo pretty tight lidded, generally. The press release keeps getting delay after delay, but there'll be definite word on what happened exactly pretty soon.

I honest to God cannot remember where the article was, but there was a headline that they'd reached an agreement last night in Atlanta, and the US would absolutely not go lower than what the pharma industry lobby has legislated there, which is technically, I think, seven years.

There are lovely little loopholes they could do here to have it stay at five years, and then have "administrative periods" that include data protection and market exclusivity, which works functionally the same as extending it, which might be the agreement they met at.

#TPP on twitter is a pretty good resource, but you gotta sift out the Metal Gear Solid V stuff lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also trade deals can't die, they got volcano rules, they only go sleepy for a while

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Pickled Tink posted:

I never said it was plain or regular.

What I said was that when the person who committed it was revealed to be muslim, the press simply declared it was terrorism when the facts then were very much not in evidence to support that (And still aren't). It certainly wouldn't be the first time an angry and alienated youth has lashed out at an authority figure.

Nah actually you said, twice, that if this kid wasn't Muslim then this would be considered "sad but regular crime" or "plain crime", and that's complete bullshit. An angry and alienated youth lashing out at an authority figure draws hitler moustaches on a picture of their school principal. This kid shot a police employee in the head outside a police station and attempted to kill a bunch more. Pretending this is a case of hormonal angrybrains is insulting to the large number of confused teenagers that manage to make it through puberty without shooting cops in the head. And pretending that people would go "ho hum, another day another cop employee gunned down" if the gunman was white is similarly at odds with reality.

quote:

If he wanted to commit an "act of terrorism" that resonated strongly, he could have gone virtually anywhere else there. There are literally tens of thousands of potential victims there at any given time during the day. He could have walked into the food court at the Parramatta Westfield and had his choice of random stationary targets to plug. Instead he went to the police and shot a police worker.

Claiming that it can't be terrorism because he chose to shoot cops rather than civilians at a shopping mall is wrong as well! Terrorism is about symbolism, not simply body count. Unless you're suggesting (e.g. with your "just an attack on the state" comment earlier) that this is politically motivated violence but not terrorism because cops are legitimate representatives of the state, in which case you can get hosed there too.

quote:

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to go to such lengths to respond to you since you have been so intellectually dishonest here, but what the hell. Let's pick apart a random article on it I found on the SMH (Basically the first one I found. I'm lazy and need to piss off to a barbeque shortly).

Parramatta shooting: Gunman identified as Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar
There we have assumption one, in the first paragraph. "politically motivated". The kid is dead and he left nothing to explain his actions, so how would anyone know what his motivations are? Notice the use of quotation marks around it to signify that they are quoting, but not specify who they are quoting. Placing it right there gets people thinking along the lines of terrorism.
"We have no idea why he did what he did, but we are assuming it is terrorism"
"We've got nothing but the fact he visited a house of worship before he did something violent."
"We know gently caress all about him, but he is from the middle east."
I wasn't aware shooting a cop was a chilling act that would be felt around the world. It sounds more like simple murder to me, but then again I'm not the one with a vested interest in ensuring it is seen as terrorism (Remember, no evidence at all has been presented to say this is terrorism. Thus far all they have is "middle eastern", "attended a mosque", and "did something violent").

Yeah it's me that's being intellectually dishonest here. The cops saying "we didn't have prior knowledge of this kid" is completely different from "we have no idea why he did it" and you're making a massive leap by assuming that they're saying that this was politically motivated with no evidence to back that up. Despite your fantasies cops don't have a vested interest in declaring attacks like this terrorism. In fact in the hours after the shooting the media were quoting police sources saying that it wasn't terrorism, which led to auspol covering itself in its usual glory by joking that the shooter therefore wasn't brown.

I was mostly having a go at you earlier for saying that the media would play this down if the shooter was white, rather than play it up because he was Muslim. But goddamn if you haven't doubled down on this. Tell me, what evidence do you think is required before the police and the media are allowed to use the t word?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
@ABCNews24: Shorten: For people on $40-$60,000, #penaltyrates are the difference whether they can afford to send their kids to a private school. #auspol

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

@ABCNews24: Shorten: For people on $40-$60,000, #penaltyrates are the difference whether they can afford to send their kids to a private school. #auspol

lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The shovel should just employ bill shorten to write for them directly, far more efficient

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

"... and Christ knows you wouldn't want to send them to a Government school, especially if we get elected."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh yeah, that's the big issue when we're talking about penalty rates, not the people who are reliant on casual work for whom penalties means they can pay their power bill. No, it's the poor downtrodden middle class. :wtc: Shorten.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tirade posted:

I was mostly having a go at you earlier for saying that the media would play this down if the shooter was white, rather than play it up because he was Muslim. But goddamn if you haven't doubled down on this. Tell me, what evidence do you think is required before the police and the media are allowed to use the t word?

I'm going to be really ugly about this but it's an ugly thing.

Shooting a police employee in the head isn't an act of terrorism. Police are killed all the time. This is acknowledged and expected by the general public, and a huge part of the reason that the police are entitled to any respect at all.

An act of terrorism has to inspire terror. There are many ways to go about this, but what it comes down to is that an act of terrorism has to elicit a response in the general public of "My God, that could've been me!". As the victim worked for the police, the general public are not worried in this way. Had this been the kid instead shooting a random person for the same reasons, then yes, it could be fairly described as terrorism.

This murder was definitely politically motivated, but not terrorism. It's just the grim, inevitable outcome of cultivating an "us vs them" mentality between the police force and islamic youth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Oh yeah, that's the big issue when we're talking about penalty rates, not the people who are reliant on casual work for whom penalties means they can pay their power bill. No, it's the poor downtrodden middle class. :wtc: Shorten.

We can laugh at Shorten all we want but the only people who actually parse political messaging to this degree are people like us. The vast, vast majority of Australians (and swing voters) hear this and think "hmmm yeah."

The ALP cops so much flak for their focus groups and poll-driven policy, but in a country with compulsory voting I'm not sure a Corbyn-like figure would actually work.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What kind of difference does it make if it was terrorism or not? I know it's fun to complain about the Telegraph being hysterical and all, but honestly who cares?

Is it something like 'Well if they can show it was terrorism then they'll have more legitimacy when they try to take away our rights to counter it'? Because it seems like you'd have to buy into the idea that taking away your rights to fight terrorism is an acceptable thing to do for that to be an issue.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The ALP spends so much of its energy polling that they are able to identify the hot button issues for this important block of voters.

Either that or members actually spent time talking to their constituents?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

freebooter posted:

We can laugh at Shorten all we want but the only people who actually parse political messaging to this degree are people like us. The vast, vast majority of Australians (and swing voters) hear this and think "hmmm yeah."

The ALP cops so much flak for their focus groups and poll-driven policy, but in a country with compulsory voting I'm not sure a Corbyn-like figure would actually work.

Well yeah, no poo poo it's aimed at aspirational class voters who hope that if they can somehow manage to send their kids to St Swanky McSwank School that it might give their kids the chance to gently caress a dead pig and join an exclusive club.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
As if a private school education makes a lick of difference. Nationalize education.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tirade posted:

Nah actually you said, twice, that if this kid wasn't Muslim then this would be considered "sad but regular crime" or "plain crime", and that's complete bullshit. An angry and alienated youth lashing out at an authority figure draws hitler moustaches on a picture of their school principal. This kid shot a police employee in the head outside a police station and attempted to kill a bunch more. Pretending this is a case of hormonal angrybrains is insulting to the large number of confused teenagers that manage to make it through puberty without shooting cops in the head.

Lmao.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If people have already decided for themselves private school = better, why try to improve public education, right Bill?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looking forward to the ALP introducing a national school vouchers program

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

So it uh looks like concentration policy just ended

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

As if a private school education makes a lick of difference.

Nonsense. It was only in uni I learnt how to do a full windsor.

e. wow, so that happened. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/asylum-seekers-on-nauru-to-be-processed-within-the-next-week/6828130

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 5, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

So it uh looks like concentration policy just ended

Hello what?

E: wow good news maybe?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Given the horrendous bad blood that's been fostered between the locals and the refugees I can not see how this can possibly end in anything but disaster.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Zenithe posted:

Nonsense. It was only in uni I learnt how to do a full windsor.

e. wow, so that happened. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/asylum-seekers-on-nauru-to-be-processed-within-the-next-week/6828130

:toot: Please let this stay as good news, it's step away from the 'Australia being loving awful to refugees' thing so I really don't want the other shoe to drop...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's pretty clear Turnbull is giving us an early and extended christmas to try wash the taste of Abbott out of our mouth before the election. It will be interesting to see how much the greens will be able to take them for before the lnps newfound cooperativeness dries up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao the ALP is hosed. Turnbull is going to corner them on centre right policy and call an election and win because the swing voters will look at the headlines and declare all is well while Shorten stutters about NBN and Carbon Pricing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I wonder if Alan Bolt or Andrew Jones are still saying that they Tamed Turnbull?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

hooman posted:

Given the horrendous bad blood that's been fostered between the locals and the refugees I can not see how this can possibly end in anything but disaster.

Probably, but holy poo poo, encampment's ending

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Probably, but holy poo poo, encampment's ending

Encampment ending is definitely a good thing. Encampment ending in a way that means they're less safe from locals is a bad thing.

I'm impressed that once again there's apparently a worse/more harmful solution and it is the one that has been implemented.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Link please I'm not seeing anything

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SynthOrange posted:

Link please I'm not seeing anything

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/asylum-seekers-on-nauru-to-be-processed-within-the-next-week/6828130

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
According to today's Crikey, this change has been conveniently made two days before the High Court is due to hear a case on whether it is constitutional for the Australian Government to detain asylum seekers offshore indefinitely.

Ha - sif they'd do something without an ulterior motive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

sidviscous posted:

According to today's Crikey, this change has been conveniently made two days before the High Court is due to hear a case on whether it is constitutional for the Australian Government to detain asylum seekers offshore indefinitely.

Ha - sif they'd do something without an ulterior motive.

This won't affect that given a)they're still in detention, and b)it means nothing for other places like Manus

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Definitely, especially with the PR about the run for UN human rights council, but we might be stopping having concentration camps

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

This won't affect that given a)they're still in detention, and b)it means nothing for other places like Manus

It means a lot! Haha

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

Definitely, especially with the PR about the run for UN human rights council, but we might be stopping having concentration camps

they are using the whole island as the camp :ssh:
it will be just as poo poo outside as it is inside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vic Libs are making a brave stand.

quote:

Victoria's grand final public holiday will almost certainly be dumped if the Coalition wins the 2018 state election.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy has warned Victorians are getting too many days off, arguing the increased leisure quota will hurt the state's ability to compete and create jobs.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

SynthOrange posted:

Vic Libs are making a brave stand.

That extra day off a year is just loving KILLING our economy!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Tokamak posted:

No, a given island might be a hosed up place to live, but it is not prison camp.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Starshark posted:

Yeah I dont understand why theres this random 'uproar' over something that is ultimately pretty minor.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/sweden-embraces-the-six-hour-work-day/story-e6frfm1i-1227553714473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tokamak posted:

Yeah I don't think a lot of people realise how tiny Nauru is. From https://www.thetruesize.com:

• Locked thread