Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

What's the dig at Japan? Are they especially racist? Asking for info here, I have no idea where this remark came from.

Japan is remarkably racist and isolationist. That figure about how Europe's population is going to drop sharply? It's a lot worse for Japan, partly due to the geology involved. Japan was one of the hardest countries to invade for a very long time simply because of how cut off they are from the rest of the world thanks to storms and crap. They also have a dwindling population, for a lot of reasons, but they aren't exactly big fans of bringing in immigrants.

Nor realistically do they have a lot of draw for them.

If anything throws out the existing power structures of the world as it currently is, it may just be underpopulation problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

double nine posted:

What's the dig at Japan? Are they especially racist? Asking for info here, I have no idea where this remark came from.

Japan is well known for being xenophobic as gently caress.

They also aren't having enough babbies to maintain their population level (which is a problem in a lot of developed nations but especially japan), and also they live a really long time so that's going to become a huge problem in the not too distant future.

:thejoke:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

Japan is a very homogenous society that is extremely hostile to the immigration of people who aren't Japanese. It is consequently one of the safest nations on Earth, with an almost non-existent violent crime rate. The downside is, I guess, that its population is aging and declining due to an overall decline in birthrates. Most first world countries have been experiencing the same decline, but have been bolstering their numbers through immigration. Japan has not, which means that, in a few years, a smaller number of workers will be supporting an ever increasing number of retired persons. This, of course, will cause an economic and social collapse because reasons.

Edit: beaten, but take a minute to compare my post to the two foaming-at-the-mouth posts above it. We're all describing the same thing, but notice how much more reasonable it sounds when its not littered with ignorant accusations of racism and xenophobia?

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 29, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Japan is a very homogenous society that is extremely hostile to the immigration of people who aren't Japanese. It is consequently one of the safest nations on Earth, with an almost non-existent violent crime rate. The downside is, I guess, that its population is aging and declining due to an overall decline in birthrates. Most first world countries have been experiencing the same decline, but have been bolstering their numbers through immigration. Japan has not, which means that, in a few years, a smaller number of workers will be supporting an ever increasing number of retired persons. This, of course, will cause an economic and social collapse because reasons.

Edit: beaten, but take a minute to compare my post to the two foaming-at-the-mouth posts above it. We're all describing the same thing, but notice how much more reasonable it sounds when its not littered with ignorant accusations of racism and xenophobia?

Sounds reasonable sure, but it's still ignorant and filled with racism and xenophobia. You can state two facts next to each other but that doesn't mean one causes the other.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pews posted:

Sounds reasonable sure, but it's still ignorant and filled with racism and xenophobia. You can state two facts next to each other but that doesn't mean one causes the other.

Don't engage Irish Joe

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pews posted:

I don't think its inappropriate to make assumptions based on the facts.

Burkion posted:

Don't engage Irish Joe

Looks like the TVIV IRC crew is mad at me again. :lol:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The migration issue is crazy complex, but every comment about it does seem to basically devolve into "BUT SOME OF THEM ARE BAD!" and just "fuckin' muzlims". Call this a win for Joliver.

Kinda wonder if/when Trevor Noah will get this divisive. They went pretty standard with the first new Daily Show and that was probably the right call.

Burkion posted:

Don't engage Irish Joe
The people that regularly do this are worse than he is.

Also seriously wondering who I have to piss off in just the right way to stay on the good side of the mods and get a funny string of avatars. :smith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't Japan overpopulated in the first place? I'd think they're one of the places where a dwindling population would actually be beneficial.

I mean it doesn't excuse the xenophobia, but slowing down immigration is certainly a better solution than some other countries have had (looking at you, China).

That said, the segment was about Europe, who absolutely DO need the numbers.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The problem is Japan's dwindling population is in part caused by economic policies that basically cannibalize the young in favor of the old, which isn't sustainable. (Off the top of my head, I know their olds are cool with deflation because deflation works in your favor if you have a lot of savings but it's awful in a consumer economy because people aren't as willing to buy poo poo.) A cause of the not-baby-having in Japan is that it's just fuckin' hard to get by as a youngish person there and bringing in a bunch more young people isn't going to fix that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Isn't Japan overpopulated in the first place? I'd think they're one of the places where a dwindling population would actually be beneficial.

They're less densely populated than Belgium.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's really weird that population growth is declining in all these developed nations.

Legally, the easiest solution to immigration is to just bounce immigrants around forever in weird official statuses so that they never officially immigrate, they're just staying in the country temporarily. It gives you all the benefits of cheap foreign workers without having to deal with changing voter demographics. All you have to do is dump a ludicrous amount of paperwork all over everything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really weird that population growth is declining in all these developed nations.

Legally, the easiest solution to immigration is to just bounce immigrants around forever in weird official statuses so that they never officially immigrate, they're just staying in the country temporarily. It gives you all the benefits of cheap foreign workers without having to deal with changing voter demographics. All you have to do is dump a ludicrous amount of paperwork all over everything.

Isn't that basically what they're already doing?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

double nine posted:

There are large sections of Japanese, largely among the elderly, that still have a mad hate on for Okinawans. Despite Okinawa being an actual part of Japan. Similarly, despite feudalism ending over 150 years ago Japanese descended from the lower castes still face an enormous amount of bigotry should their ancestry be discovered.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There are large sections of Japanese, largely among the elderly, that still have a mad hate on for Okinawans. Despite Okinawa being an actual part of Japan. Similarly, despite feudalism ending over 150 years ago Japanese descended from the lower castes still face an enormous amount of bigotry should their ancestry be discovered.

To bad they can't be like America, where no one really knows poo poo about their ancestry other than they totally have a Cherokee princess in the family tree. Totally like 1/19th Native, man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not really. Having a kid is expensive and we've figured out how to avoid accidentally having one (mostly).

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Isn't that basically what they're already doing?

No country (not even the EU ones) are doing that to the best of my knowledge, but what does happen is that you can have multiple generations of people who were born in a country but weren't citizens. That's why birthright citizenship is one of the best things the US has.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gyges posted:

To bad they can't be like America, where no one really knows poo poo about their ancestry other than they totally have a Cherokee princess in the family tree. Totally like 1/19th Native, man.

Well, after reading that goon's reply about Japanese ancestry sometimes leading back to a lower caste during the feudalism period, it's kind of like black people in the states. It's just that black people obviously look different than white people, so it's easier to assume that their ancestors, had they lived in the states, were probably slaves. At least on the surface, a Japanese person isn't immediately identified as descending from the lower class/caste.

Goddamn history sucks :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interestingly enough a bunch of celebrities have put out a video telling people to stop calling them "migrants" and instead use refugee.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, after reading that goon's reply about Japanese ancestry sometimes leading back to a lower caste during the feudalism period, it's kind of like black people in the states. It's just that black people obviously look different than white people, so it's easier to assume that their ancestors, had they lived in the states, were probably slaves. At least on the surface, a Japanese person isn't immediately identified as descending from the lower class/caste.

I don't think you understand how caste systems work. Nobody in America treats black people poorly because their ancestors were slaves because we don't, with a few exceptions in the northeast, consider lineage all that important. But in certain parts of Asia, lineage is everything.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

This makes me very happy after a rough day

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Irish Joe posted:

I don't think you understand how caste systems work. Nobody in America treats black people poorly because their ancestors were slaves because we don't, with a few exceptions in the northeast, consider lineage all that important. But in certain parts of Asia, lineage is everything.

Well, it was just me thinking out loud, really. The situations seemed similar, is all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah it's really shocking that fewer and fewer people want a screaming poo poo factory money vampire that will haunt them for 20+ years, longer in Japan where housing is San Francisco cubed hosed and the economy is garbage and said thing is completely preventable. From what I understand the culture is such that you need to be able to have a place to live before you get married, which is currently nearly impossible there. It's like goons living in their parents' basements with anime pillows into their 30s only because there aren't any alternatives.

muscles like this? posted:

Interestingly enough a bunch of celebrities have put out a video telling people to stop calling them "migrants" and instead use refugee.

Well that's what they are so ????

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

xcore posted:

Is this same Scandinvia that they literally just showed in the episode taking out full page ads in newspapers attempting to drive people away?
While not their finest moment, that is not exactly what it was. It was also mostly one politician's project.
Denmark is still among the top contributors to foreign aid in the world and right near the top as far as refugees/asylum seekers accepted per capita.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheRealGunde posted:

While not their finest moment, that is not exactly what it was. It was also mostly one politician's project.
Denmark is still among the top contributors to foreign aid in the world and right near the top as far as refugees/asylum seekers accepted per capita.

Being near the top doesn't say much when Germany and Sweden are the only ones still playing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IRQ posted:

Well that's what they are so ????

It's a similar point to the 'swarm' thing John brought up in the LWT segment, though. It's using language to victim-blame. Migrant sounds like everyone fleeing Syria decided that their perfectly safe, economically, politically and physically stable homes weren't good enough and chose to leave and can go back whenever they want. Refugee makes it clear they are running from some kind of danger and need refuge. Turning away refugees makes you sound like a dick. Turning away migrants... makes you sound like a dick unless you're talking to nationalistic xenophobic jerks who are an unfortunately loud voice in the developed world's political climate right now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

John Oliver is on Colbert tonight

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Migrant sounds like everyone fleeing Syria decided that their perfectly safe, economically, politically and physically stable homes weren't good enough and chose to leave and can go back whenever they want. Refugee makes it clear they are running from some kind of danger and need refuge.

I think the problem is that, for every actual refugee, you have a bunch of former refugees who were camped out in Greece or Turkey making their way from safehaven to.. more safehaven? Like that idiot who drowned his kid. They were both perfectly safe in Turkey until he decided to grab his son and jump on a dingy headed to Western Europe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tonight's episode was straight fire. And I'd never heard of Greyhound Therapy before. JESUS .

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
re: Refugee numbers worldwide

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tonight's episode was straight fire. And I'd never heard of Greyhound Therapy before. JESUS .
It was more like straight garbage. I tried to soldier through it because mental illness and disability are two of the most horrifically misunderstood things in American society. Yes, of course it's American society, it's a Last Week Tonight main story- granted, last week's was about Europe and it still sucked for reasons that I'm about to get into.

By the time John made a joke (well, more like a glorified cultural reference) to Lil Wayne, I just couldn't progress any further. Every joke on this show involves him repeating what a news anchor said 5 seconds ago in a clip and either yelling or making some pop culture reference. And during the main story, no matter what it is, it's 15 to 20 minutes of that plus a really preachy ending. The skit at the end of the refugee crisis main story is the perfect example of that- it's just two soap opera characters recapping what John spent an entire chunk of time talking about.

There is no effort put into Last Week Tonight anymore. It's less like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert, and more like Jimmy Fallon or Family Guy. Unlike Fallon or MacFarlene, John Oliver has talent, but he clearly isn't using it. I'm just glad that Trevor Noah made a positive impact to The Daily Show and Colbert is about as sharp as ever, because if it weren't for them, the landscape for this kind of show would be barren. But hey, at least he isn't mugging for the camera with funny faces like Jon Stewart did. You don't want to waste time that could be spent making a joke about Taylor Lautner, after all!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, he is phoning it in. Wonder why.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

There is no effort put into Last Week Tonight anymore. It's less like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert, and more like Jimmy Fallon or Family Guy. Unlike Fallon or MacFarlene, John Oliver has talent, but he clearly isn't using it. I'm just glad that Trevor Noah made a positive impact to The Daily Show and Colbert is about as sharp as ever, because if it weren't for them, the landscape for this kind of show would be barren. But hey, at least he isn't mugging for the camera with funny faces like Jon Stewart did. You don't want to waste time that could be spent making a joke about Taylor Lautner, after all!
But Colbert isn't doing that kind of show anymore. :confused:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

By the time John made a joke (well, more like a glorified cultural reference) to Lil Wayne, I just couldn't progress any further. Every joke on this show involves him repeating what a news anchor said 5 seconds ago in a clip and either yelling or making some pop culture reference. And during the main story, no matter what it is, it's 15 to 20 minutes of that plus a really preachy ending. The skit at the end of the refugee crisis main story is the perfect example of that- it's just two soap opera characters recapping what John spent an entire chunk of time talking about.

Honestly, I've never found Last Week Tonight that funny. It's the straightest of the "fake news" shows, and it fills that niche extremely well. I'm not seeing at all how you think there's no effort put into it. The effort is there, but the majority of it seems to go into research, which is fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nichael posted:

Honestly, I've never found Last Week Tonight that funny. It's the straightest of the "fake news" shows, and it fills that niche extremely well. I'm not seeing at all how you think there's no effort put into it. The effort is there, but the majority of it seems to go into research, which is fine.
Agreed. Last Week Tonight is not a comedy show. It's a news show with a few random jokes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, he is phoning it in. Wonder why.
People who share the main story on Facebook the following morning aren't doing it because they're saying "watch this funny take on a serious issue," they're doing it because it's cathartic to see someone talk passionately and/or angrily about something they like regardless of whether it's funny or not (usually they're not). My theory is that John Oliver realizes that and he doesn't bother to put too much effort into things because it's gonna go viral on social media and posted as a news item on Gawker and the like no matter what he does. It's sort of like The Daily Show, in its past couple of years with Jon Stewart hosting, stopped being a comedy show and became more "middle-aged man yells about the news."

Josh Lyman posted:

But Colbert isn't doing that kind of show anymore. :confused:
Well, Colbert's not doing the fake pundit character anymore, but The Late Show is still pretty political, especially when compared to its competition on network late night. And not all of his guests are actors shilling whatever thing they're doing and then screwing around with the host in some skit. The Joe Biden interview in Colbert's first week was apparently very good (I didn't watch it, but my friend was very impressed), and he did a great interview with Malala.

Josh Lyman posted:

Agreed. Last Week Tonight is not a comedy show. It's a news show with a few random jokes.
There were plenty of funny moments with big payoff early in the show's run, though (Jeff We Can was my personal favorite). It started out smart and funny, and now it's just... well, what you said it is now. It should be more than that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 5, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

The Joe Biden interview in Colbert's first week was apparently very good (I didn't watch it, but my friend was very impressed)

you should really correct that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVaEC_WxWs

Probably the best interview on late night since Letterman had his Warren Zevon episode

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you should really correct that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVaEC_WxWs

Probably the best interview on late night since Letterman had his Warren Zevon episode
My friend loves Bernie Sanders and has loved him since he was the mayor of Burlington, VT, and even she thought the interview was outstanding. I gotta get on this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Tonight's story is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGY6DqB1HX8

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I love that Colbert's new schtick is getting him all the interviews, but while Biden looked like a young girl on her wedding day, so did Trump. I wish Steve would bring just a bit more bite to it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
did u see his cruz interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Baloogan posted:

did u see his cruz interview?

Is it good? Is there a link?