Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

redwalrus posted:

I can't believe... actually I can believe it, but I'm very disappointed they're now releasing the smaller new 3ds in NA. :argh:

The games look so much sharper on it since they're not blown up like on the XL. I just hope they release a black one since I want it to match my Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont know, if you're able to run CIAs you can get PSX games at full 60 FPS. If you have to run 3dsxl some are 20 some are 50 and they only just started working last week. it's only uphill from here.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I love Animal Crossing to death, but Happy Home Designer doesn't look that interesting to me. I haven't played New Leaf yet, does it still have anything resembling a community around it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You should play New Leaf regardless.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

homeless snail posted:

You should play New Leaf regardless.

Probably!

$30 seems like a pretty good price, but is there any chance of there being an additional sale in the wake of the new game's release?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Target has it for $21: http://www.target.com/p/animal-crossing-new-leaf-nintendo-3ds/-/A-14540659

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

SeANMcBAY posted:

The games look so much sharper on it since they're not blown up like on the XL. I just hope they release a black one since I want it to match my Wii U.

yea I want a black one also, I haven't seen the screen in person or a video of a comparison but I figured it would be better since they're the same reso...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are Transcend cards good with regular XLs? I absolutely love the brand and I need to update from the base 4gb.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unfortunately, the nearest Target's a several-hour drive away from me. :v:

Animal Crossing's a game I'd rather have digitally, anyway. Being able to easily check in on your village for 20 minutes a day without swapping cartridges is too nice to pass up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spintzel posted:

If you don't have at least 2 real life friends then maybe Tri force heroes isn't for you

My real life friends have different regions hardware between them based on how keen they are on imports/exclusives.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
should i wait for a black new 3ds or get the white one before it becomes rare as dick

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

noirstronaut posted:

should i wait for a black new 3ds or get the white one before it becomes rare as dick

You should just buy a black New XL because

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fuzz posted:

You should just buy a black New XL because

i have the majora one from Rick and morton

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Anyway, has anyone with a JP 3DS tried the 7th Dragon demo?

Yeah, it's pretty decent! I didn't play the PSP games but visually it seems the same right down to there being no stereoscopic 3D. There's only four preset characters to use in the demo, but the different classes are pretty fun to use. I particularly like the Duelist since it's a mage that uses Magic the Gathering cards instead of magic. They draw a different elemental card each turn which can then be played by itself (plus the mana cost) to summon a monster, or combined with other cards for traps that trigger counterattacks or field effects that target all opponents. The battle system is the same, although you can retry battles when you die even on the standard difficulty level.

I don't really know what's happening with the story at all, but you fight a dragon and that's cool. Then you fight an unwinnable battle with an even bigger dragon and get saved by some psychic guy showing up and punching it? This seems like a good video game.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
About to get on a plane for 9 hours in a little under two weeks, so I'm looking for a new game for my Old 3DS XL

Loved
Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Started but not fussed
New Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario 3D Land (Mario games seem a little bit "whatever" after Galaxy and Galaxy 2)
Luigi's Dark Moon Mansion Ghost Thing

Started and dislike
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Considering
Smash Brothers 3DS
Shovel Knight
Bravely Default

Anyone able to steer me towards anything in particular?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Majora's Mask, obviously. Shovel Knight's a good pick but you'll probably be done before your flight's over.

I wouldn't really suggest Smash as a game to play on a long flight.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah if you loved OoT and LBW, then Majoras Mask is the obvious choice there, unless you're burned out on Zelda.

Bravely Default is a great game but somewhat divisive, plus it's not like any of the games you mentioned as liking or disliking. I clocked up over 100 hours in my playthrough of it, which I think is the most I've ever played any game. Except maybe Super Mario 3D Land, which I think I've spent 100 hours attempting Special 8-Crown on its own. :argh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
knjm

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Majora's Mask, obviously. Shovel Knight's a good pick but you'll probably be done before your flight's over.

I wouldn't really suggest Smash as a game to play on a long flight.
I remember playing MM on the N64 and it literally depressing the poo poo out of me.

Also aren't there only three dungeons?

Is Pokemon X any good or is it all still autismal scrabbling for EVA values and terrible "watch this animation" combat grinding.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You only need to care about stat tweaking if you want to play multiplayer or get huge runs in the postgame Battle facility. The campaign of XY is the easiest Pokemon has ever gotten.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Evfedu posted:

I remember playing MM on the N64 and it literally depressing the poo poo out of me.

Is Pokemon X any good or is it all still autismal scrabbling for EVA values and terrible "watch this animation" combat grinding.

There's 4 big ones but a couple of little side areas, plus each region has a bit to do in it after the swamp. Not to mention Clock Town itself has a ton of stuff to do in it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; Majora's Mask is one of the best examples of the "side content" being just as expansive and engaging as the dungeons themselves.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Evfedu posted:

That stuff has never been necessary to just play the game. You can still run around and collect them all just like you did as a kid. In fact, collecting them all is even easier now that you can trade online. The difficulty is even sort of adjustable now in the form of the EXP share. It's a key item now. Turn it on and you will quickly steamroll everything. Keep it turned off and enjoy a nice smooth level curve balanced for you having the usual team of 6. Or do what I did and turn it on and use a rotating stable of 10-12 guys as you see fit.

Also you can turn off the battle animations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Evfedu posted:

Anyone able to steer me towards anything in particular?

My recommendations would be:

1. Fantasy Life - pocket size ARPG that's surprisingly addicting. I put in way too many hours. If you do decide to get it, buy the Origin Island DLC from the get go.

2. Majora's Mask - It's Zelda and it's amazing. My only concern is that there are some parts where I had to refer to a guide, which you might be able to do so.

3. LBX - miniature robot fights with a poo poo load of customization. Really fun and deep. Made by the gods that are Level-5.

4. Senran Kagura 2 - Tits with some fighting. Your flight neighbor might be wary of you though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

glassyalabolas posted:

My recommendations would be:

1. Fantasy Life - pocket size ARPG that's surprisingly addicting. I put in way too many hours. If you do decide to get it, buy the Origin Island DLC from the get go.

3. LBX - miniature robot fights with a poo poo load of customization. Really fun and deep. Made by the gods that are Level-5.

I can vouch for these two. I absolutely could not put Fantasy Life down, and should really try the post game. I beat the game, but I have no idea where to start the DLC content.

LBX is my most recent game. Solve the world's problems with Pokemon kickin' rad mini robots. Tons of customization from arm, leg, torso and head gear (which change your appearance and armor level/types) to CPU, battery, modules, etc. (which change your performance). Also a very challenging post game I hear, if that's your thing.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

That stuff has never been necessary to just play the game. You can still run around and collect them all just like you did as a kid. In fact, collecting them all is even easier now that you can trade online. The difficulty is even sort of adjustable now in the form of the EXP share. It's a key item now. Turn it on and you will quickly steamroll everything. Keep it turned off and enjoy a nice smooth level curve balanced for you having the usual team of 6. Or do what I did and turn it on and use a rotating stable of 10-12 guys as you see fit.

Also you can turn off the battle animations.
Good post, thank you. I'm leaning in between MM and Pokemon X, I think. Thank you all!

E: Also Link Between Worlds owned so hard. Like, that was the most I've enjoyed a 2D Zelda since Link's Awakening.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 5, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The whole "ONLY 4 DUNGEONS!" complaint was stupid when Majora's Mask was new and it's even stupider now since Ocarina of time isn't fresh in our minds like it was back then. The idea that a Zelda game has to have some arbitrary number of dungeons to be good is asinine and really undersells what makes Zelda a worthwhile series in the first place. In terms of actual, meaningful content, Majora's Mask at the very least matches Ocarina. And I'd say it far surpasses it when it comes to story, characters, and variety of content.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Evfedu posted:

I barely played through it on N64 and mostly had a friend play while I watched. The constant cycle of failure was too psychologically challenging for little Manky Jr. Playing it from start to finish on 3DS made it my favorite Zelda game. There are a lot of practical improvements in playability, for one thing, regarding save points and the time travel mechanic that are much appreciated. And it looks a lot better. It can be depressing in parts but there are regular moments of humor and beauty that stand out the more for it. The music is fantastic and deserves decent headphones if possible.

There are four dungeons then sort of a weird fifth one, and the amount of time it takes to get to new areas to get to the next dungeon is on par with a dungeons-worth each of puzzles and monster-slaying. Adding in all the stuff you can do if you talk to everybody, and especially if you're going for every mask (and you better), I put something like 36 hours into MM vs. 23 in OoT.

As for Pokémon X, I got it on release and pick it up now and then but only just got eight badges. It feels incredibly bland and lazy and it actively bothers me that barely any of it is in 3D and the battles are near-unwatchable with the frame drop. (Yes MM drops frames in 3D, especially if you always wear the bunny ears and spin the camera a lot, but it would last a few seconds max.) I wish I had gotten X on cart so I could resell it. But if you're fine with a nothing-interesting-new, three-quarter-assed retread and just want a 2D Pokémon game, well, it's perfect by that standard.

e: Very much this

PantsBandit posted:

In terms of actual, meaningful content, Majora's Mask at the very least matches Ocarina. And I'd say it far surpasses it when it comes to story, characters, and variety of content.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

To jump in with useful suggestions other than what was given, if you don't mind having more than one game to mix it up, I'd say:

1- SHOVEL KNIGHT (with the free DLC, this might last the entire flight)
2- Monster Hunter 4 (this can easily eat up millions of hours)
3- StarFox 64 (if you've never played it)
4- Luigi's Mansion
5- Resident Evil (if you like the RE4 style, it's pretty good)

Make sure you bring a USB cable.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I mean dungeons are my favorite part of Zelda games, so Majora's Mask only having 4 dungeons (with only one of them being any good) is pretty disappointing :shrug:

Majora's Mask is still good but I think dismissing complaints about the dungeons is dumb because its dungeons are probably some of the worst in the series

~Coxy posted:

My real life friends have different regions hardware between them based on how keen they are on imports/exclusives.

Your friends are huge loving nerds and you should get better ones

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's wrong with the dungeons?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

What's wrong with the dungeons?

Nothing. He just doesn't happen to like them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Actually, Majora's Mask has some of the best and most interesting dungeons in the series :eng101:

Also, just because you aren't in a modular dungeon doesn't mean you aren't doing "dungeon" tasks all throughout that game. Off the top of my head you've got Under the Graveyard, Ikana Castle, the Pirate Fortress, pretty much the entirety of the Goron Village area. They all require you to do puzzle-solving to progress they just happen to not be inside a dungeon.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 5, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Evfedu posted:

Pokemon is a game series played and enjoyed by literal ten year-olds and younger who do not know what they're doing and never even look at the stats page, you weirdo. All you really need to know is that water beats fire and you can probably complete the game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Actually, Majora's Mask has some of the best and most interesting dungeons in the series :eng101:

Also, just because you aren't in a modular dungeon doesn't mean you aren't doing "dungeon" tasks all throughout that game. Off the top of my head you've got Under the Graveyard, Ikana Castle, the Pirate Fortress, pretty much the entirety of the Goron Village area. They all require you to do puzzle-solving to progress they just happen to not be inside a dungeon.

My hot take is that it's got the best 3D dungeons except maybe Skyward Sword.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
4 dungeons is about 4 too few imo. I like the big boss fights and new item you get from dungeons. Link Between Worlds was probably as fun as it was because I got ten dungeons worth of stuff to do! Plus a pretty packed over world :)

Hmmm. Still kinda torn, might just grab shovel knight and force myself back into Luigi Big Dark Ghost House

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evfedu posted:

4 dungeons is about 4 too few imo. I like the big boss fights and new item you get from dungeons. Link Between Worlds was probably as fun as it was because I got ten dungeons worth of stuff to do! Plus a pretty packed over world :)

Hmmm. Still kinda torn, might just grab shovel knight and force myself back into Luigi Big Dark Ghost House

Not having enough stuff to do really isn't a problem in Majora's Mask.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Nope! They're bad. Sorry!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fuzz posted:

Make sure you bring a USB cable.

Wait, the 3DS can charge off a USB cable? This may revolutionize my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

deadly_pudding posted:

Wait, the 3DS can charge off a USB cable? This may revolutionize my life.

Get a cheap 3DS USB charger off Amazon for like $2-3. It's really handy to have and cuts down on wall warts.