Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Merijn posted:

We use svn

What year is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

deimos posted:

What year is this?

The year that you learn that SVN is just fine for lots of companies. The learning hump for switching to a DVCS is significant and the added benefits will often be minimal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Especially since there seems to be a new hot poo poo source control system cropping up every 18-24 months. It's like linux and audio subsystems. :can:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Supervisor's catch-phrase is alive and well.

One of our creative designers came down to pick my brain about backup options for their department. I suggested Synology if they wanted something in-house, or a cloud service like Google Drive or AWS. We were discussing their options when supervisor walks by and has his little ears prickled by the sound of someone making a decision without his input. He blasts into my office and immediately starts bellowing as I was mid-sentence.

:v: "You're currently using about 8TB of space so-"
:downs: "What are y'all talking about?"
:v: "We're discussing backup options for the Promotions department.
:downs: "What are you telling him?"
:v: "I suggested a Synology for in-house storage and a few cloud options. It'll depend on what their budget is and how they want to use the data."
:downs: "You don't need all that. We'll just get you a Buffalo! They're really cheap!

At this point, the creative designer and I both broke out in simultaneous raucous laughter. He, due to the absurdity of a Buffalo NAS unit for data retention, and I because my mind has finally snapped and I am beginning my slow decent into madness.

Regardless, we literally laughed him out of the office.

It was beautiful.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

It was beautiful.

I've never heard of someone loving such a lovely product so much. Does he have Buffalo stock or something?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

He's probably just buying the cheapest crap he can find because he thinks it makes him look good when he's "saving a lot of money".

The term Total Cost of Ownership is completely alien to him.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor's catch-phrase is alive and well.

One of our creative designers came down to pick my brain about backup options for their department. I suggested Synology if they wanted something in-house, or a cloud service like Google Drive or AWS. We were discussing their options when supervisor walks by and has his little ears prickled by the sound of someone making a decision without his input. He blasts into my office and immediately starts bellowing as I was mid-sentence.

:v: "You're currently using about 8TB of space so-"
:downs: "What are y'all talking about?"
:v: "We're discussing backup options for the Promotions department.
:downs: "What are you telling him?"
:v: "I suggested a Synology for in-house storage and a few cloud options. It'll depend on what their budget is and how they want to use the data."
:downs: "You don't need all that. We'll just get you a Buffalo! They're really cheap!

At this point, the creative designer and I both broke out in simultaneous raucous laughter. He, due to the absurdity of a Buffalo NAS unit for data retention, and I because my mind has finally snapped and I am beginning my slow decent into madness.

It was beautiful.

16TB Synology + Crashplan Pro is probably the safest option within your nonexistant budget here btw. Also take into account the amount of data that's gonna get transferred for the initial backup.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
A ticket came in: my headrest entertainment system is not working. Can you send someone to 30,000 feet ASAP, this is affecting (movie viewing) production.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tomapot posted:

A ticket came in: my headrest entertainment system is not working. Can you send someone to 30,000 feet ASAP, this is affecting (movie viewing) production.
Looks like it's still booting up.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

tomapot posted:

TIL

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tomapot posted:

You should report that dangerous boot attempt.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Collateral Damage posted:

He's probably just buying the cheapest crap he can find because he thinks it makes him look good when he's "saving a lot of money".

The term Total Cost of Ownership is completely alien to him.

Bingo.

I mentioned it before, but there's this bizarre competition between the CEs at all of our stations. If one CE comes up with a solution to something for $15, corporate will only alot for $15 for every other station should the same problem arise. If another CE manages to figure out a solution for $4, then everyone else is required to do the same thing because it's cheapest. So the engineer that comes up with the cheapest solution is some sort of frugal rockstar. Buffalos are the cheapest NAS available from our vendors, so guess what product every other station is required to use :downs:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

tomapot posted:

"built 12:00:35, Nov. 19, 2004"

:stare:

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Currently in the same room as a new hire. She's on the phone with the help desk and is really mad at them that her Citrix login doesn't work.....her Citrix login from her previous job at a different company. She does not understand why it doesn't work and is very mad at the help desk. "Don't give me all that computer mumbo jumbo, Citrix is Citrix and this worked for years, there's no reason for it to suddenly stop working now for no reason." I'm wondering if I should say something.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Xequecal posted:

Currently in the same room as a new hire. She's on the phone with the help desk and is really mad at them that her Citrix login doesn't work.....her Citrix login from her previous job at a different company. She does not understand why it doesn't work and is very mad at the help desk. "Don't give me all that computer mumbo jumbo, Citrix is Citrix and this worked for years, there's no reason for it to suddenly stop working now for no reason." I'm wondering if I should say something.

Is she an IT New Hire?

Because that poo poo's ridiculous if so.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Is she an IT New Hire?

That sounds like medical new hires from my experience...

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

Is she an IT New Hire?

No, this is a hospital lab, she's one of the new group leads.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Xequecal posted:

No, this is a hospital lab, she's one of the new group leads.

Bam.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nexxai posted:

"built 12:00:35, Nov. 19, 2004"

:stare:

That's just the bootloader build date I think. What's wrong with old bootloaders?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

This is funnier than it should be

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
and it's the OS for a back-of-seat video screen. Which is in all likelyhood not hooked up to anything related to keeping the plane in the air. Who cares if a video player is out of date?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do they still give out headsets if there isn't any sound?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

tomapot posted:

Please tell me you at least work for that airline.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

and it's the OS for a back-of-seat video screen. Which is in all likelyhood not hooked up to anything related to keeping the plane in the air. Who cares if a video player is out of date?

As has been shown in pentests recently, you might think that's the case, but probably isn't.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Have you ever used one of the old clunky in-flight entertaining systems? It is mildly annoying my good sir.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

ponzicar posted:

Please tell me you at least work for that airline.

No, just a traveler. After the reboot it never came back up. It did play the safety video though.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ Came up today in our company chat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I massively prefer the "use your iPad with our in flight Wi-Fi" option that a lot of airlines are using now to the barely responsive tiny low res pieces of poo poo in the back of the seats. As long as they provide USB ports for charging stuff.

Either that or the huge TVs that you get up front, but that tends to never really happen.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm about done spending time with this issue but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has some ideas:

User's mechanical keyboardS (only uses one at a time, but happens with multiple different keyboards) that he picked up on his own dime (which is okay here) sporadically and frequently lose wired USB connection on his Windows 7 Enterprise desktop machine. Problem does not reoccur if keyboard is used on another computer in a different room. Problem also does not occur if his computer is installed in a different room.

He has his own budget, and requested that we spend some money out of it to purchase him a new computer. Okay, fine - we did so (I told him this would almost definitely not resolve the problem), with one of our standard models (his was getting old anyway), a Dell Optiplex 9020 Small form-factor, imaged with our standard image that never has this issue - and performed a USMT scanstate on his old machine. Got the new PC set up with loadstate and installed it in his office and, while I was there for about 10 minutes just waiting to hear if the keyboard lost connection, it never did. That was Friday, while he was gone - today, he got in, and the problem is still there.

At this point I'm all but convinced that it's some sort of weird issue with the room's electricity, which is well beyond my knowledge set, but I did replace the surge protector he was using and replaced power cables, to no avail.

Is there anything stupid I'm possibly missing? The keyboard just uses standard drivers, and no devices are missing their drivers. No other USB devices ever appear to lose connectivity. I'm probably going to have some electricians come out and see if his room has some power fluctuations or something because I have no other ideas now.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

You might need this then too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So I'm about done spending time with this issue but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has some ideas:

User's mechanical keyboardS (only uses one at a time, but happens with multiple different keyboards) that he picked up on his own dime (which is okay here) sporadically and frequently lose wired USB connection on his Windows 7 Enterprise desktop machine. Problem does not reoccur if keyboard is used on another computer in a different room. Problem also does not occur if his computer is installed in a different room.

He has his own budget, and requested that we spend some money out of it to purchase him a new computer. Okay, fine - we did so (I told him this would almost definitely not resolve the problem), with one of our standard models (his was getting old anyway), a Dell Optiplex 9020 Small form-factor, imaged with our standard image that never has this issue - and performed a USMT scanstate on his old machine. Got the new PC set up with loadstate and installed it in his office and, while I was there for about 10 minutes just waiting to hear if the keyboard lost connection, it never did. That was Friday, while he was gone - today, he got in, and the problem is still there.

At this point I'm all but convinced that it's some sort of weird issue with the room's electricity, which is well beyond my knowledge set, but I did replace the surge protector he was using and replaced power cables, to no avail.

Is there anything stupid I'm possibly missing? The keyboard just uses standard drivers, and no devices are missing their drivers. No other USB devices ever appear to lose connectivity. I'm probably going to have some electricians come out and see if his room has some power fluctuations or something because I have no other ideas now.

Has it ever failed with you around?

Because if not, he's unplugging it and claiming there's something wrong with the room because he wants to move rooms?

Alternatively: His desk setup is making him kick the wire.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

tomapot posted:

No, just a traveler. After the reboot it never came back up. It did play the safety video though.

Ah, I thought you meant that someone else was on the plane, and expected you to fix it. Maybe I've been reading this thread too much.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mech. KB Shenanigans

I'm kinda wondering if it's something with Dell systems. I've had a 9010 and a 9020 have issues occasionally dropping my mechanical keyboards. I've tried both a Kinesis Advantage and now my Code. Both occasionally drop and re-connect. Doesn't seem to happen with the cheapy rubber domes that come with the Dells. USB selective suspend is disabled on all systems.

I've also used both of these keyboards at home and never had this issue on my personal machine (non-Dell, homebuilt). :shrug:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A ticket came in:

quote:

When I was out shooting football on Friday night it was raining. I had the camera covered up and everything was working fine while I was shooting my first game. However when I tried turning the camera back on to shoot my second game, the camera started acting funny. It would cut on, but I couldn't see out of the view finder or record anything.

I went to ask the reporter in question about it.

:v: So you had the camera covered up?
:downs: Yes.
:v: You had it completely covered the entire time?
:downs: Yeah.
:v: You had the rain gear completely sealed up and no part of the camera was exposed to rain, even when you weren't recording?
:downs: I wasn't using rain gear.
:v: You just said you had the camera covered.
:downs: Yeah, I put a towel over it. There's no way it could get wet.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OwlFancier posted:

Has it ever failed with you around?

Because if not, he's unplugging it and claiming there's something wrong with the room because he wants to move rooms?

Alternatively: His desk setup is making him kick the wire.

Check to make sure in device settings that the USB root hub has the following setting unchecked:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Plug it into a powered USB hub

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Plug it into a powered USB hub

Hm, hadn't thought of this. I'll try this, seems like a near-guaranteed fix if it's not a short on the keyboard itself.

And yeah I've seen it happen first-hand. Happen even if no one's doing anything on the computer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Brought this up with my boss since this was a headscratcher and he suggested moving the phone away from the keyboard, if it's nearby. He seems to think that the keyboard's causing some kind of bizarre interference.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Today's XKCD is on-topic: http://xkcd.com/1586/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nexxai posted:

As has been shown in pentests recently, you might think that's the case, but probably isn't.

He has a bad habit of greatly exaggerating what he can do / did do. Combined with the usual press distortions, it sounds like he did something really scary when in actuality he did nothing too crazy or possibly nothing at all and is making it all up.

• Locked thread