Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Also not merging servers.

Also by firing half of the team immediately after launch and moving the other half to try and salvage TOR.

Minsky posted:

Man, I remember all of the above. Turns out I've been wearing some pretty rose-tinted glasses about DAOC.

I still probably won't learn anything and will play this dumb game too.

At release DAoC was pretty brutal. It loosened up over time.

The thing I miss most about DAoC was the class design. EQ/WoW and most mainstream MMOs have been cribbing the D&D Players Hand Book for almost 20 years now. There are been almost no innovation in class design since EQ1. The mechanics have changed, but the theme and archetypes behind the classes are unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The only original/interesting MMO class i can remember from any of the newer games is GW2's Mesmer, apart from that you have to go all the way back to DAoC or Shadowbane before you find anything vaguely interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Herald of Xotli from Age of Conan engendered a lingering affection for melee clothies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xae posted:

Also by firing half of the team immediately after launch and moving the other half to try and salvage TOR.

At release DAoC was pretty brutal. It loosened up over time.

The thing I miss most about DAoC was the class design. EQ/WoW and most mainstream MMOs have been cribbing the D&D Players Hand Book for almost 20 years now. There are been almost no innovation in class design since EQ1. The mechanics have changed, but the theme and archetypes behind the classes are unchanged.

Except Daoc had like 20+ classes and it was balanced stupid awful. Best example midguard thralls(?) the melee wizard hybrid. They were god tier in till you couldn't stun lock entire zergs, then they turned into trash tier forever.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Except Daoc had like 20+ classes and it was balanced stupid awful. Best example midguard thralls(?) the melee wizard hybrid. They were god tier in till you couldn't stun lock entire zergs, then they turned into trash tier forever.
Thanes, not Thralls. Yes, the number of classes made balance difficult. So did Mythic ignoring balance. Part of that was a product of the times. Balance wasn't a big deal for developers. They expected that people would group with their friends and not Min-Max. They were wrong.

To me it is more about the variety of classes, not the number of classes.

Lets rip on WoW for a second here:
WoW - AD&D Second Edition (1989)
Warrior - Fighter
Paladin - Paladin
Hunter - Ranger
Priest- Cleric
Druid - Druid
Mage - Evoker
Warlock - Necromancer
Rogue - Thief
Shaman - Specialty Cleric

If you go back to EQ1 the Copy and Paste is even more obvious.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Here's some screenshots of the terrain (phone posting, so I hope this comes out right). Given the editing tool they described, it is much prettier than I expected:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone remember team wizzy? The guy on merlin that multi-boxed a full team of wizards led by a minstrel for runspeed and CC? That was cool.

I remember him rescuing us often and breaking quite a few sieges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O68N6PIqfQ
DAOC looks terrible, im glad modern computers can run games with effects turned on

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Its actually pretty remarkable how much the textures/terrain has improved in the last few months.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Thanes were god tier? From what I remember they were trash compared to e.g. skalds: their self buffs were weaker than full shaman buffs, their nukes were lame, and they didn't bring any utility except maybe a party damage buff that I want to say again was weaker than some other classes. They had the sweet-looking AOE hammer spell but all it did was break your healer's AOE mez and didn't do much damage. I think once AOE stuns became a thing, PBAOE became the real damage dealer anyway.

I played a thane and all I remember is wishing I had made a skald instead for the sweet run speed buff. But then again it was my first MMO and I was probably really bad at the game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanes were pretty lovely until high realm ranks and then they were only a little less lovely. They were ok babysitters for healers against stealthers.

Their pvp ability was pretty excellent, but it wasnt worth being a thane for.

Targeted aoe stun that triggers every 5s with a 3s stun over a period of time up to 35s. It was amazing when defending a chokepoint.

Too bad no one actually got a thane high enough RR to get it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

does anyone remember team wizzy? The guy on merlin that multi-boxed a full team of wizards led by a minstrel for runspeed and CC? That was cool.

I remember him rescuing us often and breaking quite a few sieges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O68N6PIqfQ
DAOC looks terrible, im glad modern computers can run games with effects turned on

Team Wizzie was from Igraine

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Thanes were great until CC immunity timers were implemented, 3 months after release. After that, they were a joke.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Team Wizzie was from Igraine
The real team wizzy was.
we had 3 on merlin, there were like 12 "team wizzie's" as far as i know

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Drop the ground foliage and use a brighter/saturated green, you've got the old hibernia frontiers right there.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanes were excellent in duels, or 1 vs 1, and that's about it. Not to mention hammer spammers ruined the image of any good players.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

thanes were pretty lovely until high realm ranks and then they were only a little less lovely. They were ok babysitters for healers against stealthers.

Their pvp ability was pretty excellent, but it wasnt worth being a thane for.

Targeted aoe stun that triggers every 5s with a 3s stun over a period of time up to 35s. It was amazing when defending a chokepoint.

Too bad no one actually got a thane high enough RR to get it.

Oh, yeah I think it was called static tempest or something. I switched to WOW and never got it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I loved playing a big rock dude skald because I didn't have to switch to a flute or lute to do the runspeed etc stuff, you just shouted.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
The terrain is looking nice. Sounds like the game is coming along nicely... looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The goon cautious optimism is slowly building.

Sort of like this game, but that is totally okay.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I don't know why I looked in MMO HMO but I did not expect to see this and I kind of hate you people for reminding me of DAoC, the first non-UO MMO I didn't hate.

Also Obsidian, inXile, and Larian are ~friends of CSE~ which causes my nostalgia to make me even more hopeful.

I really hope they don't do that stupid "well see your level impacts how accurate you are and how much damage you do, so a level difference of 7 or so means you can't do poo poo," though at least they eventually fixed it so that you could chip the armor of someone higher level than you.

How they plan on adding stealth without enabling stealth ganksquads is beyond me. I feel like the best they can do is limit such a group to ambushes (i.e. nonmobile stealth) rather than a roving gank squad, because how else are they going to reconcile custom skills with stealth? Unless they outright disallow stealth healers or something.

E: Even though their videos have less than 5k views each, I'm confident this game will have a healthy population and longevity due to how well-made it will be.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

S.T.C.A. posted:

I don't know why I looked in MMO HMO but I did not expect to see this and I kind of hate you people for reminding me of DAoC, the first non-UO MMO I didn't hate.

Also Obsidian, inXile, and Larian are ~friends of CSE~ which causes my nostalgia to make me even more hopeful.

I really hope they don't do that stupid "well see your level impacts how accurate you are and how much damage you do, so a level difference of 7 or so means you can't do poo poo," though at least they eventually fixed it so that you could chip the armor of someone higher level than you.

How they plan on adding stealth without enabling stealth ganksquads is beyond me. I feel like the best they can do is limit such a group to ambushes (i.e. nonmobile stealth) rather than a roving gank squad, because how else are they going to reconcile custom skills with stealth? Unless they outright disallow stealth healers or something.

E: Even though their videos have less than 5k views each, I'm confident this game will have a healthy population and longevity due to how well-made it will be.

Best I can figure is that stealth will have a timer, be terrain based, or will only function sitting still.

Ideally there will be power scaling through levels, but won't use the WoW system of not being able to hit mobs/players for poo poo damage more than like 5 levels above you. Hopefully it will be a linear scaling that's impacted by gear, so everyone can feel useful in fights.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's pretty, but that water texture reminds me of trials of atlantis because of the repeated square pattern.

Afew things I remember from DAoC that are a relic of old game design.

Disease effects that stopped your health regen and made heals half as effective, they could last 10-30 minutes depending on what was diseasing you, I also remember the parthenon farm in hibernia, a popular lowbie leveling spot that would disease people for minutes at a time.

ToA requiring water breathing potions, better hope you didn't run out if you died and got revived underwater.

Buffbots, hated them, hated the idea of people being able to pay 50$+10 per month for a huge advantage, a concept of pay to win a few too many games and people don't mind having these days, when mordred came online a major reason I liked it was that I could hunt down the buffbots because they couldn't hide in a safe zone.

Longass horse rides where you had to jump off at certain points to buy rides in another town because despite there being only one long road in hibernia, the horses would only go to certain towns on that road and you had to jump off at towns that had the ticket you needed, and you better hope you didn't disconnect off your horse during a long lonely stretch of road.

Forgetting to equip your portal medallion on the frontier warp pad.

That giant rat in hibernia that would occasionally wander around and kill lowbies at another leveling spot every few hours randomly, for no other purpose then to sneak up on people.

No itemization beyond a certain level for most of the realms, hibernia being stuck in level 35 gear while midgard or albion had access to level 50 dropped gear.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's pretty, but that water texture reminds me of trials of atlantis because of the repeated square pattern.

LOTRO is 8 1/2 years old and has better looking water than that. Hopefully the live version of the game looks better.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
also a dumb thing from daoc

you had root and snare but against wizards the best thing was debuff strength since they had such low strength and equipment weighed something

no one would let wizards roll on strength gear

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember that, strength classes could carry around the parts for one or two battering rams in their back pocket, but a wizard would be crumbled in place from a single piece.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Third World Reggin posted:

also a dumb thing from daoc

you had root and snare but against wizards the best thing was debuff strength since they had such low strength and equipment weighed something

no one would let wizards roll on strength gear

it was especially funny since AE debuff str/con was insta cast if I remember right, if you were running up on a big group and dropped it all the cloth casters would be stuck in place and get brutally slayed. Archers would also be in trouble since ammo was heavy

the con debuff also knocked a ton of hp off regardless of class, I think they ended up nerfing it later on

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had forgotten about carrying ammo. I liked how they had different damage types so you could select the right arrows for the target ahead of time and do extra dmg.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I'll play a video game if its a good video game

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'll play a video game if its a good video game

You're in the wrong forum.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

post post post

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249828843

just lol at green light

also if you want a horrible daoc experience we can all go play this game this week end

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222520/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Archers revealed this week.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I recently just saw those and the devout.

The bane and boon is just funny. Can't use metal bane on irish archers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kimsemus posted:

The goon cautious optimism is slowly building.

Sort of like this game, but that is totally okay.

Just enough time for my heart to heal from the last MMO shitfest.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

What you have all forgotten about DAOC was Speedy speedy speedy boots of speed.

The crafting of equipment became ridiculous, and Shrouded Isle had a great (read: goofy) random item generator. It was awesome. Too bad ToA hosed everything up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I keep remembering more and more things about how dated that game was.

While it was neat to finally have a ground targeted aoe, the default way to cast them as to hold F5, wait for a cusor to appear, then use WASD to move it to where you thought you wanted it cast.

This was neat since you could cast things right behind walls using it and very few people got the ability.

Then wow came about and said lol just aim your mouse idiots

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Xposting this from the Albion thread, because I think it is an idea that would fit well into CUs crafting scheme:

ThndrShk2k posted:

Too bad this game doesn't mimic RPG mangas and have blacksmith levels and equipment quality that isn't initially visible stats which can be discovered via using the equipment (or leveling an appraisal skill)
If it did, in the end it wouldn't end up "Who has the best price for SWORD 67 that's convenient for me to buy?" like most MMOs.

I just want a fun less homogenized market

I don't have access to the forums, but could someone who does post it (unless the concept has already been brought up)?

I think not having immediately visible stats on purchaseable gear, maybe just display the name/level of the crafter would improve the market. Moving away from the standard market of "pick item I want, scan for best cost/quality" would make the market more engaging amd increase the focus on crafters who spend a lot of time specializing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I keep remembering more and more things about how dated that game was.

While it was neat to finally have a ground targeted aoe, the default way to cast them as to hold F5, wait for a cusor to appear, then use WASD to move it to where you thought you wanted it cast.

This was neat since you could cast things right behind walls using it and very few people got the ability.

Then wow came about and said lol just aim your mouse idiots

A game released in 2001, dated? Tell me more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sure. People seem to think it was great. It wasn't.

You are off so many lists now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I AM THE LIST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

DAoC wasn't just great, it was the greatest.

• Locked thread