Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

The screaming sun might be one of the funniest gags the show has ever done.

"Dad, how long do the days last on this planet?"

"48 hours"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Both of the other planet gags were great too (Too tiny, too on a cob). I liked how Rick had written "Trail off and crumple up speech" on a piece of paper for his wedding toast, it seemed like a very Rick thing to plan out doing something spontaneous. Squanchy had a lot of funny bits (tossing his BFF bracelet, getting grossed out at Beth using squanch wrong), I hope he didn't die at the wedding after he hulked out :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Season 1 last air date: April 14, 2014
Season 2 first air date: July 26, 2015

So... not quite a year and a half. More like a year and a quarter. So there's that.

That was last season and this season though. Mr. Poopy Butthole was talking about next season.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Guy A. Person posted:

Squanchy taking off his "Rick's BFF" bracelet during Rick's speech.

And despite that, he still ended up sacrificing (possibly) himself to save Rick and his family. A true Squanchy

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Away all Goats posted:

And despite that, he still ended up sacrificing (possibly) himself to save Rick and his family. A true Squanchy

Whoa, I don't think it's cool for you to use that word. In that specific context, that's their word.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

Funny parts, in no particular order:

Bumping into the Little Prince planet and only then realizing how tiny it is.

Screaming sun. Oh my God, the Screaming sun that's in the sky for around 21 hours, give or take a few depending on the time of year and latitude.

The cob planet... stuff on a cob wasn't funny. Everything on a cob wasn't funny. But Rick being scared to death that everything was on a cob was hilarious.

Opening Earth up to space tourists and we're immediately selling Earth souvenirs was pretty good.

The android who isn't staring at you made me chuckle, especially when more models began to appear.

Squanchy.

Those weird blue scrotums that were used as cover during the firefight made me laugh.

Of course Jerry grabs a confetti gun when there had to be about 100 actual space guns available to him.

Just about every size gag on Little Prince planet, like the lonely frisby.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Hey, guy who does the prop designs: Whose decision was it incorporate testicles so blatantly into the design of so many aliens and alien things? Because that person deserves a medal.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys.

quote:

So take your attitude to the men's section of K-Mart, because you need to cut me some slack!

...s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Typical posted:

oh yeah, I saw her at the party last night. she comes around the office sometimes. I've never talked to her though. Im not sure what to say besides. Oh hey your Elliot right ? Do you really like wine that much? I draw all your wine glasses.
Yea man, sounds like a convo starter to me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I hope S3 is just a little more self-serious than the show's been so far. Not that I want a sci-fi epic, no jokes allowed or whatever but the episodes that follow the continuity (or even just have more of a focus on character building) are always my favorite. This and Auto Erotic Assimilation were my two favorite episodes this season, and Rick Potion No. 9 into Rixty Minutes gave us one of the absolute best moments of the show. And I love how this last episode put Ricksy Business into context, too, and it makes more sense to me now why that's the S1 finale rather than Close Rick-Counters. I wonder if there's a general story outline going forward or if they're just winging it.

Basically I just want more of this and less Get Schwifty/Interdimensional Cable 2.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I liked when the bug cops arrive to pick up Rick's family and that one bug cop says "good morning" and then it's instantly morning because the planet is so darn tiny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Philip Rivers posted:

I hope S3 is just a little more self-serious than the show's been so far. Not that I want a sci-fi epic, no jokes allowed or whatever but the episodes that follow the continuity (or even just have more of a focus on character building) are always my favorite. This and Auto Erotic Assimilation were my two favorite episodes this season, and Rick Potion No. 9 into Rixty Minutes gave us one of the absolute best moments of the show. And I love how this last episode put Ricksy Business into context, too, and it makes more sense to me now why that's the S1 finale rather than Close Rick-Counters. I wonder if there's a general story outline going forward or if they're just winging it.

Basically I just want more of this and less Get Schwifty/Interdimensional Cable 2.

Give me both.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Give me both.

Let's not have a Rixty Minutes 3 though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

Ugh, I really hope they do the opposite... I would really enjoy if they just start the next season with no explanation and just destroy the planet and they all live in space now or something.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Typical posted:

I really liked it; Rick and Morty has always flirted with these kinda heavier themes and balanced Rick's misanthropy with a hidden, genuine care for his family, and I feel like this episode went the hardest into this territory with great results. I wouldn't want all of Season 3 to be like this; I do think R&M works best with episodic adventures as its backbone, but I really love these little moments of sobriety and continuity sprinkled around.

Standout was Rick turning himself in. The contrast of his noble self-sacrifice with all his homophobic slandering of Jerry was pure gold.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Typical posted:

oh yeah, I saw her at the party last night. she comes around the office sometimes. I've never talked to her though. Im not sure what to say besides. Oh hey your Elliot right ? Do you really like wine that much? I draw all your wine glasses. Which I'm sure she would not really have a response to.

I probably wouldn't know what to say to her either, but then again I'd be a bit starstruck because I had a bit of a crush on her in my late teens when she played Elliot.

I'd have to rewatch the episode to give you what I thought were the funny bits, but I do understand where you're coming from. All the individual elements seem pretty heavy but the gags really tie it together. Even the little things such as one of the girls at the wedding whistling and her friend asking "Are you hyphenating that?" keeps it comical enough for it to work, breaking up the more serious moments. It also helps this is the season two finale and we've been exposed to Rick and Morty dealing with serious themes. I don't think an episode like this could've worked as well early in season one because without a proper build up to it it would've seemed like trying too hard or something.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I always love when shows incorporate serialized aspects- Loved it in Moral Orel, loved it in South Park, and I'll love it in Rick and Morty.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gonna drift in here just to agree with Philip Rivers. I sympathize with the desire to keep the story from becoming the sci-fi cliche it's normally parodying, but the purely gag-driven formula gets staler faster than trying to tell a story and shaking up the status quo from time to time. It's certainly what got me to pay attention to the show rather than just drifting in and out when my friends would have it on.

I guess it depends a lot on how you feel shows like Adventure Time, Archer, Venture Bros and such evolved over time, maybe some people are tired of irreverent shows gradually building up a serious continuity and overarching plot.

Edit: I wonder if all the Ricks were arrested in their parallel universes by their parallel Federations, or if it's just this one who was wanted?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 5, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Give me both.

so you want a realistic, down to earth show...that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Very good episode.

I'm fine with having the premiere of season 3 be the follow up to this, but I really don't want this to become heavily serialized, and I hope this isn't a sign of that happening. Every show is serialized now and the fun of Rick and Morty is that you you can simultaneously turn off your brain and also experience a mindfuck adventure without having to follow an ongoing story.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
actually the best joke was the family saying they unconditionally love rick despite his faults, with the implicaiton that they dont unconditionally love jerry

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dolash posted:

Gonna drift in here just to agree with Philip Rivers. I sympathize with the desire to keep the story from becoming the sci-fi cliche it's normally parodying, but the purely gag-driven formula gets staler faster than trying to tell a story and shaking up the status quo from time to time. It's certainly what got me to pay attention to the show rather than just drifting in and out when my friends would have it on.

I guess it depends a lot on how you feel shows like Adventure Time, Archer, Venture Bros and such evolved over time, maybe some people are tired of irreverent shows gradually building up a serious continuity and overarching plot.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of, a bunch of stupid continuity and back story making things less fun. It's no surprise I stopped watching all of those shows the deeper they got into their story. I just want crazy poo poo to happen and if they want to throw in a few sad things that's fine with me. I just don't want Harmon to get so caught up in story that he spends more time examining relationships than he does purging alien cat people and dancing in their blood while wearing an iron man suit. Nobody would've cared if the cast of community never graduated.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Very good episode.

I'm fine with having the premiere of season 3 be the follow up to this, but I really don't want this to become heavily serialized, and I hope this isn't a sign of that happening. Every show is serialized now and the fun of Rick and Morty is that you you can simultaneously turn off your brain and also experience a mindfuck adventure without having to follow an ongoing story.

Yeah, the continuity at the current level is very good: a wink here and a reference there. Having a 2 part'er as a season bridge is fine, but I wouldn't want the show to go much more plot-driven than that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Excelzior posted:

so you want a realistic, down to earth show...that's completely off the wall and swarming giant pooping clampers and schmuzzles licking giant shizzers voiced by drunk people.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Excelzior posted:

so you want a realistic, down to earth show...that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots

I think this is a good description of the show so far.

Also, Tiny Rick was the best thing ever and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Season 3 premiere is going to be Part 2 of a 2-parter cliffhanger that we never saw before. Like, instead of Rick in Galactic Federation Prison, he'll be running from monsters on a planet on the edge of a black hole and making references to earlier events we haven't seen.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The thing is that you're always gonna have Roiland around to keep the show from getting too far up its own rear end. We saw what the show looked like when Harmon wasn't reigning him in and that wasn't what people want for the show either I don't think. I don't want a large overarching storyline driving the show, but I do want character development and some degree of consequence/repercussion for things in the show.

It does really hinge on whether or not there was a story planned out from the beginning though. Archer and Adventure Time eventually went off the rails because there was no real backbone supporting the plot as they built up. AT ended up being weird as hell in a bad way (still a good show imo but nowhere near as good as it was) and Rebecca Sugar ended up writing out the whole plot of SU to avoid that happening.

I don't want Rick and Morty to be Steven Universe though, I just want it to not end up directionless, and I hope Harmon and Co. have some general idea of where they want to take the show.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

I really want this as an avatar now.

e: Can someone resize this for me to be avatar sized? I've been needing a replacement for a while

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The show is never directionless. Even when it seems like it is. It always has structure. There are always arcs. Even if the episode revolves around a penis and a man who rips off his own skin for personal space.

The show's fine. Stop worrying. They have the Harmon Circles. Which are legit the easiest way to tell a story. Use that and you're golden.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harmon is too much of a TV lover to not deliver on a cliffhanger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Although if you think about it, the circle was completed. They all did return, having changed. It's just one of the main characters is in prison now. Which makes it unsatisfying.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Season 3 premiere is going to be Part 2 of a 2-parter cliffhanger that we never saw before. Like, instead of Rick in Galactic Federation Prison, he'll be running from monsters on a planet on the edge of a black hole and making references to earlier events we haven't seen.

I'd love that!

Philip Rivers posted:

It does really hinge on whether or not there was a story planned out from the beginning though. Archer and Adventure Time eventually went off the rails because there was no real backbone supporting the plot as they built up. AT ended up being weird as hell in a bad way (still a good show imo but nowhere near as good as it was) and Rebecca Sugar ended up writing out the whole plot of SU to avoid that happening.

I don't want Rick and Morty to be Steven Universe though, I just want it to not end up directionless, and I hope Harmon and Co. have some general idea of where they want to take the show.

There's nothing wrong with being directionless, things can be fun without having meaning or consequences. Not that the show is directionless or free from consequence.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

actually the best joke was the family saying they unconditionally love rick despite his faults, with the implicaiton that they dont unconditionally love jerry

errr...why would that be implied? The point seemed to be that family members get unconditional love, why would Jerry be exempted?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

a shameful boehner posted:

I really want this as an avatar now.

e: Can someone resize this for me to be avatar sized? I've been needing a replacement for a while

Sure, no problem.

Do you want a version without that weird tearing around the face?

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

errr...why would that be implied? The point seemed to be that family members get unconditional love, why would Jerry be exempted?

Because Jerry just sucks. This can explain just about anything in Jerry's life.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Oh okay, I'll post one more time.

Typical posted:

Oh, squanchy was cool, no doubt. But like others have said, the screaming sun was great. The Rick explores mini-planet animation was cute as all hell (okay, maybe not that funny, but still). Birdperson basically detailing what sort of poo poo he and Rick were up to, topped with in his weird voice: "I would normally not talk like this, but I am inebriated." and Beth concluding: "Like talking to a stone wall." And Jerry at the end winding up actually liking the Galactic Federation a lot while the rest of the family is really not digging it is pretty cool dark humor too.

I love you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't know, the conversation seemed structured like Jerry's the bad guy and Summer and Morty are good for supporting Rick unconditionally, but at the same time he's not wrong that it's unfair they should have to live their whole lives on the run because of him - love should be unconditional, but it should also be reciprocal, which Rick shows when he decides to turn himself in. Beth snapping at Jerry that she doesn't want Rick to leave again is a particularly clear example of her attachment being unhealthy.

If Rick was some hero trying to bring down the Federation for being an evil empire or some thing, it might be easier to argue about sacrificing for a good cause, but Rick's cause is mostly being a rebellious, amoral scientist. They're paying for his mistakes, and especially when it comes to family it's usually the responsibility of the older generation to do what's best for their children and grandchildren.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Guy A. Person posted:

loving jerry is like building a homeless shelter, everyone inside should get a job.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

On the other hand, there is an entire universe out there and while dangerous, Rick never really leaves them to die, does he? I mean, it's kind of like living in a big city with bad neighbourhoods and crime poo poo. Sure, you can live your life as a shut in and never experience the world you live in and be safe but that's not the way you should live your life, right? It's just that Rick's world is exponentially more exciting and dangerous but then again, so are his capabilities, so in his mind it sort of evens out. The risks to Morty's life every time he steps in a car with Jerry or Beth are no greater than when he takes a trip with Rick because Rick is, or at least thinks he is, capable enough to handle those risks, and so far he's been mostly right.

Add to that his self destructiveness and alcoholism and criminal past and stuff and that's where the great stories come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dolash posted:

I don't know, the conversation seemed structured like Jerry's the bad guy and Summer and Morty are good for supporting Rick unconditionally, but at the same time he's not wrong that it's unfair they should have to live their whole lives on the run because of him - love should be unconditional, but it should also be reciprocal, which Rick shows when he decides to turn himself in. Beth snapping at Jerry that she doesn't want Rick to leave again is a particularly clear example of her attachment being unhealthy.

If Rick was some hero trying to bring down the Federation for being an evil empire or some thing, it might be easier to argue about sacrificing for a good cause, but Rick's cause is mostly being a rebellious, amoral scientist. They're paying for his mistakes, and especially when it comes to family it's usually the responsibility of the older generation to do what's best for their children and grandchildren.

I agree with everything you are saying here, but don't see how it applies to what I was asking.

Their point was "we love Rick because he is family, it is not conditional on anything and will not stop because he hurts us". None of what they or Jerry said or who had what good points implies that the unconditional love doesn't apply to Jerry as well.

• Locked thread