Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've always wanted a thyme lawn but constant bees;
Learn to love the bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Some people are pissed Junipero Serra is going to be a Saint.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-junipero-serra-vandalized-20150927-story.html

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Shh, Hitlers Gay Secret might hear you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Bah, that's old news. The new outrage is old Homophobe Francis saying Christians should reject gay marriage in America.

I really hope that old fucker dies on the way back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

By which you mean Southern California?

ill fight u irl

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I guess they figured "Hey now that we have a pope who is finally more or less from the New World, its all good and we can start canonizing all those genocidal, native-enslaving monks!" Something about the end of racism and Obama black President.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When has being complicit in a genocide ever stopped the Catholic Church from canonizing anyone?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Um, you mean like us? The classic expose on California water use is called Cadillac Desert for a reason. I am down with saying "death to non-native grasses", but we're in no position to cast stones with regard to our existing practices. Speaking of which, I did an investigation of low-water low groundcovers this spring. Every single one recommended for California was an invasive plant. :( I've always wanted a thyme lawn but constant bees; a chamomile lawn is water-needy. More research is needed. Before you ask "why low?" I have a tiny snip of lawn in the front and a tiny strip in the back that need to be walkable-on.

I'm a landscape architect; there are tons of great low-water use plants for this application. I don't want to make a big derail unless there's interest, but you can PM me.

Leperflesh posted:

Basically all California-native plants are drought-resistant so just search for CA-natives and you'll have choices. There are also nurseries specializing in natives. If you're in the bay area, check Annie's Annuals in Richmond, they have a massive natives section.

This is ... mostly correct, it all really depends on the type of habitat they are suited to. Tree of Life in Orange County is a great resource for SoCal, as is Recon Native Plants in Chula Vista.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Tear it out and put stepping stones.

Or gravel. Stone dust/decomposed granite can be good but gets messy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Governor Jerry Brown signed the right-to-die legislation into law today :unsmith:

quote:

“In the end, I was left to reflect on what I would want in the face of my own death,” Brown added. “I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain. I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the options afforded by this bill. And I wouldn’t deny that right to others."

Modeled after Oregon's lay, it should take affect sometime next year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

Governor Jerry Brown signed the right-to-die legislation into law today :unsmith:
Jerry's the best.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FMguru posted:

Jerry's the best.

I have no Idea how he manages it, but he is the only politician I can think of that hasn't been a disappointment to me once in office. It is almost as if he is trying to make the hard decisions to improve California even if they are unpopular.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

CopperHound posted:

I have no Idea how he manages it, but he is the only politician I can think of that hasn't been a disappointment to me once in office. It is almost as if he is trying to make the hard decisions to improve California even if they are unpopular.

That's because he is an immortal time traveling space alien. How else can you be the governor in 1975 and the governor in 2015? So was his dad. He is from the moon. Connect the dots, people!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My dad still calls him "moonbeam", with disgust, any time he comes up in conversation.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Space-Bird posted:

That's because he is an immortal time traveling space alien. How else can you be the governor in 1975 and the governor in 2015? So was his dad. He is from the moon. Connect the dots, people!

Oddly, he proposed a Herman Caine 9-9-9 style flat tax plan in 1992 when he was running for president.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Jerry Brown's definitely been good at a lot of things, but he's far from perfect. For example, he vetoed some legislation a few years back which would have allowed graduate student researchers to unionize, and he redirected a bunch of funds from prop 30 into prisons. Actually, the fact that he has done almost nothing to fix overcrowded prisons, despite an order from the Supreme Court, is pretty damning in and of itself.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles and never frowns
Soon I will be President

Carter power will soon go away
I will be fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school (2x)

California Uber Alles (2x)
Uber Alles California (2x)

Zen fascists will control you 100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face
Close your eyes, can't happen here

Big Bro' on the white horse is near
The hippies won't come back, you say
Mellow out or you will pay (2x)

(Chorus)

Now it is 1984
Knock, knock at your front door
It's the suede-denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes, here's a pretty flower

Die on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown (2x)

(Chorus)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A UC Berkeley professor is being "punished" by a zero-tolerance sexual harrassment policy: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_28961462/uc-berkeley-says-astronomer-was-appropriately-disciplined

quote:

After the probe and the nature of the complaints first were reported by BuzzFeed News on Friday, UC Berkeley said Marcy had agreed to clear parameters around his behavior with the knowledge he would be subject to automatic suspension or dismissal for any violations.
"The university has imposed real consequences on Professor Geoff Marcy by establishing a zero tolerance policy regarding future behavior and by stripping him of the procedural protections that all other faculty members enjoy," the statement said

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Story of Stuff Project, Center for Biological Diversity and Courage Campaign Institute have filed suit against the US Forest Service for allowing Nestlé to continue pumping Arrowhead water from the San Bernardino National Forest without a valid permit.

EDIT:

Oh and the latest challenge to Top Two was rejected by SCOTUS.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 13, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess it's local referendum season again, got a good laugh out of radio ad in SF opposing proposition F.

Please vote against it or Gavin Newsom will show real emotion.

I guess the techies finally realized lobbying and running ad campaigns is really important for morally dubious high valuation startups that encourage illegal behavior.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabisnikof posted:

A UC Berkeley professor is being "punished" by a zero-tolerance sexual harrassment policy: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_28961462/uc-berkeley-says-astronomer-was-appropriately-disciplined

... and he's resigned. I'm sure offers of tenure at other institutions were flooding in as soon as the scandal went public. Everybody wants a future Nobelist doing research on their campus, and a few grabbed asses are negligible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's pretty disappointing. I was around when Marcy & Butler were first doing their exoplanet research and discovered the first few, at SF State - I even went to a talk on campus featuring not only Marcy, but also Dr. Frank Drake, who gave a talk about the Drake Equation and why discovery of exoplanets was a critical part of SETI.

I never met him in person though or knew anyone who worked with him.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
My friend, who was in that department with him, said "everyone knew he was a sociopath" but I'm not sure if "everyone" was the larger exoplanets community or just the department.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

My friend, who was in that department with him, said "everyone knew he was a sociopath" but I'm not sure if "everyone" was the larger exoplanets community or just the department.

Probably the former. Astronomy is a pretty small field to begin with, so everyone established within a given subfield knows most everyone else within that subfield. Rumors get around, and the guy had been abusing his students for literal decades. So chances are this was widely known in the exoplanets community.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

"Women are not lining up at their poster for speed dating; they aren't signing up to work in your lab because they want to be sexualized or objectified

So why are they wearing those sexy distracting lab coats?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The problem with women in science is they're always making people fall in love with them or crying.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In a surprise to no one, its been found that Bel Air residents suck down water like El Niño.

One house in particular had a $90,000 bill for, like, June.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
KQED is trying to name names and it's great. Put these assholes up against the wall.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FilthyImp posted:

In a surprise to no one, its been found that Bel Air residents suck down water like El Niño.

One house in particular had a $90,000 bill for, like, June.

How the gently caress. My bill for my apartment this month wasn't even 10

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How the gently caress. My bill for my apartment this month wasn't even 10

Rich people making their own version of Versailles with a lot of water features. Also a lot of tropical ornamental plants that have no business living north of the Yucatan so they have to dump water on them 24/7.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Minarchist posted:

Rich people making their own version of Versailles with a lot of water features. Also a lot of tropical ornamental plants that have no business living north of the Yucatan so they have to dump water on them 24/7.

Doesn't even have to be that complex. Could be as simple as somebody owning acres upon acres of land that they insist be covered in Kentucky Blue that's perfectly manicured & vibrant green. Or poo poo like that rear end in a top hat from a few months back who was trying to get an agricultural water exemption for his loving backyard golf course.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kobayashi posted:

KQED is trying to name names and it's great. Put these assholes up against the wall.
Mercury News requested a freedom of information act from EBMUD and listed the highest water users in the bay area.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/data/ci_28974747/database-east-bay-mud-excessive-water-users?source=pkg

Much to no one's surprise, it's all you're standard rear end in a top hat sociopaths from Danville and Alamo, with some Orindians thrown in for good measure

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
#3 is A's GM BIlly Beane who was quoted in the paper today "yeah, well I pay a lot for it"

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Xaris posted:

Mercury News requested a freedom of information act from EBMUD and listed the highest water users in the bay area.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/data/ci_28974747/database-east-bay-mud-excessive-water-users?source=pkg

Much to no one's surprise, it's all you're standard rear end in a top hat sociopaths from Danville and Alamo, with some Orindians thrown in for good measure

Dennis Baca has three separate listings totaling almost 13k GPD, which is a mind-bogglingly huge amount of water. That makes him the #1 user! :eng101:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Xaris posted:

given the extreme wealth and massive hillside estates in parts of fremont, i'm surprised no one from fremont landed onto the top 25 oh, fremont isn't included in the cities on this list

code:
Khanna, Rohit	San Ramon	2,480.87
could this be the ro khanna i'm thinking of?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 18, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

given the extreme wealth and massive hillside estates in parts of fremont, i'm surprised no one from fremont landed onto the top 25 oh, fremont isn't included in the cities on this list

code:
Khanna, Rohit	San Ramon	2,480.87
could this be the ro khanna i'm thinking of?

Nope http://www.ibabuzz.com/politics/2015/10/16/ca17-this-is-not-the-ro-khanna-youre-looking-for

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://grandlakeca2.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=17029550

One of the people on the list is there because they had a $2700 leak the month that the data was requested.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How do you not notice a leak big enough to bleed off $2700 of water in one month? That's many swimming pools' full of water, at least.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

How do you not notice a leak big enough to bleed off $2700 of water in one month? That's many swimming pools' full of water, at least.

She says it was "far below the hillside" so there was no surface evidence. Apparently the repair cost $18,000.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Its as simple as a pipe breaking overnight, or on a holiday. And really, the water bill is just the insult on top of the injury from the leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

If a pipe bursts when you're out of town it can fill your house with an absolutely ungodly amount of water.