Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

a shameful boehner posted:

I really want this as an avatar now.

e: Can someone resize this for me to be avatar sized? I've been needing a replacement for a while

Here's a version with better looping:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I think the craziest thing to do would be to leave Rick in his cell all season. Same spot. The high concept sci-fi rigamarole could be handled by Federation Earth.

It would also probably be hugely unsatisfying to leave Rick out of most of the season.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ I was actually thinking about this too, it'd be interesting if the new season shifted focus to Morty digging through Rick's old stuff, maybe in response to Earth chafing under Federation control. It'd be a good way to develop more independence and maybe grow into a Rick-like role, and he could still possibly interact with the other Ricks. If they don't want to exclude Rick entirely they could have him escape (or be taken out of prison for some purpose) and spend time working to get back to Earth.

I though it was cool during Get Schwifty, when Morty met Bird Person and learned more about Rick's life while he'd been away. Rick spending time in prison and Morty learning about him indirectly through things he's left behind or people he's interacted with would be cool.

Guy A. Person posted:

I agree with everything you are saying here, but don't see how it applies to what I was asking.

Their point was "we love Rick because he is family, it is not conditional on anything and will not stop because he hurts us". None of what they or Jerry said or who had what good points implies that the unconditional love doesn't apply to Jerry as well.

Oh right, yeah, I don't think I was disagreeing with you, I just thought it was an interesting bit of dialogue for riding the line about who was in the right. Jerry's clearly also a benefactor of that same sort of unconditional... well, maybe not love in his case, more like tolerance. Or clingy codependence.

I might say that Rick and Jerry don't have that kind of unconditional feeling between them, hence why Jerry was the one who brought up ditching him, since their connection is just via Beth, Summer and Morty.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 6, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the craziest thing to do would be to leave Rick in his cell all season. Same spot. The high concept sci-fi rigamarole could be handled by Federation Earth.

It would also probably be hugely unsatisfying to leave Rick out of most of the season.

I can see that for maybe most of S3E1, but by the end, Rick really needs to be back in action.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can have the opening titles with just Morty doing mundane things around his house and school and the title card will just say MORTY.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MPB & Morty

oo-wee!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lareine posted:

So uh.... what's exactly wrong with Cob Planet?

When he looked at the cob atoms through the microscope my mind immediately went to Isaac Asimov's "Green Patches." My guess is that the planet would have gradually transformed the family into cob people.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

To my mind Rick and Morty has always been as crazy as possible but the craziness always served a purpose. It was never crazy for the sake of being crazy disregarding negative effects on the show itself. Unless they find a way for Rick to be heavily involved while Morty takes the lead in new crazy adventures it wouldn't work.

Now, if Rick is moved to some relatively low security holding cell in exchange for information/help the Federation needs and is able to involve himself illicitly in that way, eventually leading to him either crafting a plan to break out or take out the Federation totally, that could work.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I really like the turn they went with this episode and stuff and I'm gonna be sitting at my chair waiting but I can't help but get a little worried. This has happened a lot in Adult Swim's history where you've got a funny show that parodies something then slowly unveils a serious plot and it eventually gets killed for one reason or another. I dunno if it's a matter of the writers kinda starting to burrow into their own asses or what but it happens way too often, take too loving long to actually explain their serious story, and they're canned. And I know some goons in here love Morel Orel, but I really hope Rick and Morty don't commit to that path fully. They already got the folksy music thing going on (though NIN's version of Hurt was a serious departure from that) and all they need is to go way too far off the deep end and we'll never see funny poo poo again.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 6, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Servaetes posted:

I really like the turn they went with this episode and stuff and I'm gonna be sitting at my chair waiting but I can't help but get a little worried. This has happened a lot in Adult Swim's history where you've got a funny show that parodies something then slowly unveils a serious plot and it eventually gets killed for one reason or another. I dunno if it's a matter of the writers kinda starting to burrow into their own asses or what but it happens way too often, take too loving long to actually explain their serious story, and they're canned. And I know some goons in here love Morel Orel, but I really hope Rick and Morty start going that path completely. They already got the folksy music thing going on (though NIN's version of Hurt was a serious departure from that) and all they need is to go way too far off the deep end and we'll never see funny poo poo again.

I'd say Metalocalypse is the perfect example of what you're talking about. Great show ruined by having an ongoing plot taking the spotlight (and moving to 22 minutes). Morel Orel mainly just stopped feeling any obligation to have jokes after a point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked Metalocalypse's arching plot, though it really took its time to kick in. The 22 minute length was only one 10-episode season though, and advanced the plot about the same amount as their regular seasons. It went back to 11 minutes after that.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

I'd say Metalocalypse is the perfect example of what you're talking about. Great show ruined by having an ongoing plot taking the spotlight (and moving to 22 minutes). Morel Orel mainly just stopped feeling any obligation to have jokes after a point.

Yeah, Metalocalypse was the one that immediately came to mind, but I think Frankenhole started doing it, Morel Orel was very obviously guilty of it, and Venture Brothers, while still really good and has a gigantic fanbase is wrapped up in their own universe and takes forever for a season to complete. I joke around with friends but Venture Brothers nowadays takes what, like two to three years before cranking out one of those lovely 6 episode "seasons?" I'll have been watching VB since I was in highschool, and I'm seven years outta college and it still is nowhere near done.

I didn't even know they canned Metalocalypse until about two weeks ago. Really unfortunate too because I was curious how it was all going to culminate but it I'll never know. Brendan Small is supposedly trying to figure out a way to resolve the story but has no idea how to go about it. I figure the big opera episode was as much as Adult Swim was going to give him.

e: forgot how old i am

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 6, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

For what it's worth, if this were the last season it'd work as an epilogue for the series - the family returns home and to their relatively normal lives, Rick stays in jail, the Earth is forever changed by joining the Galactic Federation. The end of Rick's arc is finally sacrificing for his family's sake and taking himself away so his toxic presence can't endanger them further. If they want to do some serious stuff but end each season on a note that could wrap things up, rather than scaffolding out some big six-season plot that collapses four seasons in when they're canned, that might be a good balance. Season-bridge finales/openers with regular use of recurring characters and continuity references are pretty mild.

They did say something about next season going in a different direction, right? It's probably too early to tell exactly what direction that'll be, if they've even decided yet themselves.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Cryophage posted:

Sure, no problem.

Do you want a version without that weird tearing around the face?

Yes, please and thank you. :)

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Yes, please and thank you. :)

It's up at the top of the page. Enjoy!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

Jerry taking happy pills (& subsequent debt) and Poopy Butthole's Guns Are'nt Fun wall hanging were funny after the whole Oregon shooting.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

sticklefifer posted:

I liked Metalocalypse's arching plot, though it really took its time to kick in. The 22 minute length was only one 10-episode season though, and advanced the plot about the same amount as their regular seasons. It went back to 11 minutes after that.

i actually liked metalocalypse's overarching apocalyptic plot just because there were still 5 dumbasses oblivious to it the whole time.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I really hope they tone it down a little next season, they're trying way too hard for those feels

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

i actually liked metalocalypse's overarching apocalyptic plot just because there were still 5 dumbasses oblivious to it the whole time.

So did I, but somewhere between the brief jump to 30 minute episodes to Tommy Blacha leaving (probably to do Mongo Wrestling Alliance lmao) people lost interest and they were pretty fast to stop renewing the show.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ending a season with main characters in prison? Obviously next season will open with Rick getting out of jail, having gained a few new PhDs and also having formulated a new plot, Trailer Park Boys style.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I really hope they tone it down a little next season, they're trying way too hard for those feels
Why does this show about a nihilistic alcoholic have to try and make me feel things occasionally?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mutation posted:

welp, time for the show to go up it's own rear end like every other harmon project.

Congratulations, you totally called it. It was a great episode and then when the post-credit gag with Mr. PBH started I did the internal equivalent of diving in slow-motion while yelling "nooooo" because they were this close to having an amazing finale and then they just had to cram in some wink-at-the-camera bullshit and run Mr. PBH into the ground in the process.

robot roll call posted:

That was some Venture Bros level poo poo right there.

Agreed, much like Venture Bros it's going from being a funny parody of genre fiction to an actual example of said genre fiction because the creators are too in love with their own characters and mythology for their own good, no matter how much irony and lampshading they cram in around it.

For other TV shows, this feels like a lead-in to a topical episode on illegal immigration, but with Rick and Morty I feel like it's a lead-in to Jerry getting cuck'd by Krombopolous Michael.

Are you kidding, they weren't on earth for five seconds before they started with the tired "bureaucracy is inefficient" and "psychology is just the man trying to keep you down, maaaan" social commentary non-jokes. I'm really not looking forward to a whole season built around the parts of Harmontown that everybody fast-forwards to to get to the actual jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good god.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Lareine posted:

So uh.... what's exactly wrong with a puffy vagina?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ignore Jerry.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sleeveless posted:

Congratulations, you totally called it. It was a great episode and then when the post-credit gag with Mr. PBH started I did the internal equivalent of diving in slow-motion while yelling "nooooo" because they were this close to having an amazing finale and then they just had to cram in some wink-at-the-camera bullshit and run Mr. PBH into the ground in the process.

Agreed, much like Venture Bros it's going from being a funny parody of genre fiction to an actual example of said genre fiction because the creators are too in love with their own characters and mythology for their own good, no matter how much irony and lampshading they cram in around it.

Are you kidding, they weren't on earth for five seconds before they started with the tired "bureaucracy is inefficient" and "psychology is just the man trying to keep you down, maaaan" social commentary non-jokes. I'm really not looking forward to a whole season built around the parts of Harmontown that everybody fast-forwards to to get to the actual jokes.

Jerry get a job

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everything about Tiny Planet had me in stitches.

Shindragon posted:

Ignore Jerry.

CONFIRMED IGNORING JERRY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shindragon posted:

Ignore Jerry.

Which one.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sleeveless posted:

It was a great episode

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

I know, right? Who needs that?

It's like a Jerryboree in here.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
NWFS - www.fucktammy.com

Someone posted it on reddit earlier and just said "What do I do with this URL I bought it drunk last night".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus christ

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dolash posted:

Edit: ^^^^ I was actually thinking about this too, it'd be interesting if the new season shifted focus to Morty digging through Rick's old stuff, maybe in response to Earth chafing under Federation control. It'd be a good way to develop more independence and maybe grow into a Rick-like role, and he could still possibly interact with the other Ricks. If they don't want to exclude Rick entirely they could have him escape (or be taken out of prison for some purpose) and spend time working to get back to Earth.

I though it was cool during Get Schwifty, when Morty met Bird Person and learned more about Rick's life while he'd been away. Rick spending time in prison and Morty learning about him indirectly through things he's left behind or people he's interacted with would be cool.

Was Reboot popular outside Canada? Because they did something really similar to this. At the end of the second season the main character is "killed" off and most of the third season was the goofy kid sidekick trying to step up and be a hero. He mostly does a lovely job of it until he fucks up so bad that he gets trapped outside his system. Next episode skips ahead 20 years and he's suddenly every stereotype of a 90s antihero. He eventually rescues the main hero returns home and kicks the poo poo out of the badguy. It might not be the best match for Morty, but I'd like to see how he manages on his own for a bit.

Or just use the Meekseeks box and tell him to rescue Rick.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Applewhite posted:

When he looked at the cob atoms through the microscope my mind immediately went to Isaac Asimov's "Green Patches." My guess is that the planet would have gradually transformed the family into cob people.

Firstly, thank you for giving a name to a story I read ages ago and can now finally find again. Secondly, I got the same sense that this was the "Rick and Morty" version of "This place is perfect... But something feels off... Oh my God, this seemingly perfect place hides a horrifying secret!?"

That was my favorite moment if o had to pick but I freaking lost it at all the "potential new Smith homes". That screaming sun...

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 6, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You want me to take the season 3 thread?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You want me to take the season 3 thread?

gently caress you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hate myself far too much to ever give this thread to anyone else

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I ever meet Harmon I'm telling him to go gently caress himself.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Shindragon posted:

Ignore Jerry.

Acne Rain posted:

Jerry get a jb

Fister Roboto posted:

CONFIRMED IGNORING JERRY

Remember that hilarious Britta meme that totally got run into the ground by Community and its fans when the show started to go to poo poo? It's back, in Jerry form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Taeke posted:

On the other hand, there is an entire universe out there and while dangerous, Rick never really leaves them to die, does he?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, do you not remember cronenburg world?

• Locked thread