Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hooman posted:

Bill Shorten is a counter to Tony Abbott in the same way a grapefruit is a counter to Tony Abbot. It just has to sit there and do literally nothing while ole Tones shits in his own mouth. Shorten is worthless and I really hope he doesn't get elected but I'd still prefer him over Turnbull.

My preference for the leader of this country at the moment is actually "Someone else".

I'm someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm someone else.

SOLD TO THE GUY WHO ISN'T THOSE GUYS!

EDIT: OR GAL.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please source your BackBurner quotes, they're nice people and could use the clicks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BBJoey posted:

please source your BackBurner quotes, they're nice people and could use the clicks.

Sorry! http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...006-gk25wf.html

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:negative:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

The thing is, it isn't the quality of the education in private schools that made Prime Ministers be able to become PM, but their socioeconomic backgrounds and contacts/social circles/loving a dead pig that got them on that path.

I was making the same point, they're all just different shades of poo poo in the political class.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Is Australia's number one illegal immigrant population still backpackers overstaying their visas or did that change in the last couple years

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jintor posted:

Is Australia's number one illegal immigrant population still backpackers overstaying their visas or did that change in the last couple years

That, or international students working more than their allowed hours.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wasn't there a 4 corners episode about farmers trapping female backpackers on farms and essentially holding them as sex slaves and only paying them 50c an hour and like 20 of them slept in sheds?

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
They will argue that hospitality/retail workers are the most casualized workforce, that their workers aren't doing it as a career like in nursing, but just to earn some money while they are studying. And you see the workers quite enjoy this arrangement, because they have the flexibility to work whenever they want around their uni/TAFE timetable!

Oh and the cost of business for oz retail is so high, what with all those online retailers we can barely pay to keep the lights on and please sir, can I have some more sir

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
gently caress your 7 day week. gently caress it into the ground.

How about you tell those working salary mon-fri that every week they'll be assigned their working days, and if it's on a Saturday or Sunday then, oh, that's just the 7 day week mate, gotta move with the times.

Our whole societal structure is built around the Sat/Sun weekend, don't give me some modernist bullshit that it isn't. If people want to go shopping or eat out on the weekend it's because they have the means to do so and that business recognises that it's an opportunity for sales. But don't tell me it's the norm.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It'll be framed as affecting children doing it for extra money.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

It'll be framed as affecting children doing it for extra money.

These rich kids picking up some pocket money don't need penalty rates! They're not missing out on anything!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Politicians should be in Canberra sittings 7 days a week.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DancingShade posted:

Is Canberra sitting a colloquialism for prison?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

DancingShade posted:

Having had jobs that are both on weekends and through the night, they should start sitting at midnight.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Having had jobs that are both on weekends and through the night, they should start sitting at midnight.
It's not like they could do a worse j... Oh gently caress we've played this game before and it didn't end well :eng99:

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I agree, evening and nightshift work can be even worse than weekend shifts. Of course many of us have had to do both, hooray for the 7 day economy! (only if you're working or lower middle class, otherwise enjoy your time off with family and friends).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im drinking wine, u dickheads. >: D

e: it pains me to say it but, ur all going down. im so sorry. im about to own yous *reveals beatbox & freestyle rap chops*

e2: mods pls change my name to 'freestyle rap chops'

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-probe-teen-gunmans-school-connections-and-group-spreading-islamic-state-ideology-20151006-gk2pmp.html

quote:

Police probe teen gunman's school connections and group spreading Islamic State ideology

The teenage killer responsible for gunning down a police employee in Parramatta turned "distant" in the weeks prior to the shooting but was still diligently attending voluntary lunchtime prayer sessions that are now the subject of a state government audit.

Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar's playground connections have become a key focus for authorities who are trying to piece together the quiet teen's sudden radicalisation.

Fresh details have emerged of a small group of students at Arthur Phillip High School spreading Islamic State ideology.

Fairfax Media can reveal that Jabar was in the same year as a 15-year-old Islamic State supporter who yelled abuse outside a Christian school and flew the terror group's flag through western Sydney.

The teenager, who cannot be named, was ordered to participate in a youth offenders conference for driving past the Maronite College of the Holy Family in Harris Park on September 16, 2014 yelling death threats. He was flying an Islamic State flag out the passenger window.

Two days earlier, the boy's older brother and one of the brother's friends, both former Arthur Phillip students, were targeted in pre-dawn anti-terrorism raids across Sydney.

On Tuesday, police arrested another year 10 student on his way to school because of social media posts he wrote in the aftermath of Friday's shooting, including a threat that Merrylands police station "is next, hope they all burn in hell".

Several students have confirmed to Fairfax Media that Jabar would, without fail, attend voluntary lunchtime prayer groups every Friday with a group of Muslim students and supervising teachers.

The state government is auditing all voluntary lunchtime religious groups following allegations that students were preaching extremism in sessions at Epping Boys High.

"No matter what he was doing, he would always drop it to ask the teacher if he could go into the classroom and pray," said one student.

Jabar was a talented basketball player and considered the best in the school's under-15s team however he became distant in the weeks before the end of the last school term.

"He didn't show up to any of our games, he would just disappear," said a close friend and teammate, Peter, whose surname has been withheld.

"I asked him what was happening and he just said 'Oh I had to go home to finish off some assignments'."

Peter said Jabar would go to Parramatta mosque every afternoon unless he had basketball training or tutoring.

However, he also said Jabar was a cheerful, smart, private student who never spoke about religion openly at school and was not a ringleader.

"He would go to the mosque but he didn't like talking about religion. He'd rather joke around so it doesn't make any sense what he's done.

"We had some teammates who were always talking about religion and extremist stuff and he would always tell them to be quiet, he'd change the topic."

A year 11 student who knew Jabar said he didn't show any signs of radicalisation.

"I couldn't believe it, I never thought it could be him," he said. "He got brainwashed.

"I have seen the mosques around here ... they tell you all this stuff and fill your head with it. Once you get brainwashed they show you books ... and makes you hate other sectors."

Fairfax Media has been told by a source at Parramatta mosque that Jabar was among a group of friends who sometimes wagged school to pray there.

One month of CCTV footage from the mosque has been handed to police.

He attended the mosque again on Friday afternoon before walking to the police building on Charles Street and opening fire, killing accountant Curtis Cheng.

Commissioner Andrew Scipione, Premier Mike Baird and Police Minister Troy Grant were among those who laid flowers at the scene on Tuesday before speaking with the special constables who killed Jabar in a short gun battle.

Mr Scipione vowed that "everything ... will be done" to understand how a 15-year-old schoolboy could kill a well-respected employee as he left work.

"There is no way you can describe the hurt inside that building and right across the NSW Police force at the moment," he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-pr...l#ixzz3nmNFdiGS
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Two days earlier, the boy's older brother and one of the brother's friends, both former Arthur Phillip students, were targeted in pre-dawn anti-terrorism raids across Sydney.
well golly gee what possibly could have caused this boy to become radicalised, who knows

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Patriots are flooding my inbox in support of Stopping the Mosque in Bendigo. Aussie Oi. Rise Without Fear

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey, how did he get ahold of an ISIS flag? I thought the AFP and Customs were hawking that sort of stuff after the Sydney Siege.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Like, not that religion isn't a factor or anything, but do they know exactly who gave him the gun yet, or what

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Hey, how did he get ahold of an ISIS flag? I thought the AFP and Customs were hawking that sort of stuff after the Sydney Siege.

the Siege was in December, this was in September.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Still, I'd like to think an ISIS flag would be found before it was delivered to the recipient if it was ordered online.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just got mine. a+++ would order again

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The ban on ISIS flags is crypto-protectionism and will be dismantled under the TPP.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Literally where were the parents.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdC9WtbEpWE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So when are we negotiating a free trade deal with the Islamic State?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

hawaiian_robot posted:

Patriots are flooding my inbox in support of Stopping the Mosque in Bendigo. Aussie Oi. Rise Without Fear

Yeah, they've gone into overdrive regarding that.

On a related note, get ready for QLD Senator Pauline Hanson.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Pred1ct posted:

They will argue that hospitality/retail workers are the most casualized workforce, that their workers aren't doing it as a career like in nursing, but just to earn some money while they are studying. And you see the workers quite enjoy this arrangement, because they have the flexibility to work whenever they want around their uni/TAFE timetable!

Oh and the cost of business for oz retail is so high, what with all those online retailers we can barely pay to keep the lights on and please sir, can I have some more sir

The hospitality industry is extremely casualised to the point that there are significantly less full or part time positions than in other industries. Has the government ever officially queried why this is? I don't think "oh all our workers are students" could adequately describe the discrepancy.

Complaining about the high costs of running a business is effectively shooting yourself in the foot then crying that you're bleeding. Nobody made small business owners start their own businesses.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

gently caress me even jokes about Bill Shorten are boring.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe that's the idea.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, they've gone into overdrive regarding that.

On a related note, get ready for QLD Senator Pauline Hanson.

Another Patriot pumped and ready for Bendigo this Saturday.

edit: holy gently caress the Great Aussie Patriot Facebook page is unintentionally hilarious as gently caress

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

hawaiian_robot posted:

edit: holy gently caress the Great Aussie Patriot Facebook page is unintentionally hilarious as gently caress

This gem was from the UPFs page.

Keep in mind, this was posted on their own page, which either means they are too dumb to know they are obviously being trolled, or their supporters are too dumb to realise that putting 15 full colour posters on the side of a bun is actually pretty dumb.

Also I just noticed that "Aussie Pride, Nation Wide" is pretty close to another phrase.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Is it OK to fatshame middle aged men who post shirtless photos of themselves on the internet

The gut hanging out below the sign written in texta really makes the image

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

Zenithe posted:

This gem was from the UPFs page.

Keep in mind, this was posted on their own page, which either means they are too dumb to know they are obviously being trolled, or their supporters are too dumb to realise that putting 15 full colour posters on the side of a bun is actually pretty dumb.

Also I just noticed that "Aussie Pride, Nation Wide" is pretty close to another phrase.

I swear to god either the Great Aussie Patriot (ugh) or the UPF page had pretty much the fourteen words on one post. No Nazis allowed though, guys, for real!

edit: and some "anti-racist is codeword blah blah"

Negligent posted:

Is it OK to fatshame middle aged men who post shirtless photos of themselves on the internet

The gut hanging out below the sign written in texta really makes the image

just leave it at boganshaming

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

hawaiian_robot posted:

I swear to god either the Great Aussie Patriot (ugh) or the UPF page had pretty much the fourteen words on one post. No Nazis allowed though, guys, for real!

edit: and some "anti-racist is codeword blah blah"

lol the crocodile tears over "indigenous genocide" is rich

• Locked thread