Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

lordsummerisle posted:

My girlfriend is going to purchase adventure time love letter for her nephew and I am gonna let her use my free shipping to do so. Was thinking of adding something for myself, but I just got a gigantic box of great games.

So the question is: If I like Valley of the Kings after having just gotten it, is it safe to buy Afterlife this soon after? Seems like it expands the games possible set ups without adding any new rules....

Go for it. Afterlife gives you a new set of each type, so you can mix, match, and bring in two more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Taear posted:

I think the men are quite sexualised as well, kinda feel like it's moving towards an 80s B movie style. There's women in there that don't have that sort of breasts out look - Rosario, Elle and Kanga for sure.

I'm fairly sure that the definition of over-sexualized isn't just limited to gigantic tits, but also includes tits that are falling out because the shirt is only buttoned at the waist. Also, from what I can see, and admittedly the pictures aren't the best for making the determination, the male figures are not nearly as sexualized as the female ones. Also as was already pointed out, there's a huge difference in what that sexualization implies.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Why would an avatar of Sloth even bother showing up?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Go for it. Afterlife gives you a new set of each type, so you can mix, match, and bring in two more players.

Thanks. More than 4 sounds like a bit much though. Our 3 player game dragged on a bit. Though one of the players had never played a deckbuilder before, so was a bit confused.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

JohnnySavs posted:

Why would an avatar of Sloth even bother showing up?

The story seems to be that the "sins" are just named that way because the Hell Club (aka the Cenobites) think of them that way, not because they're literal incarnations of those sins. Both an easy cop-out for mismatched concepts/design and a way to keep them "unknowable otherworldly entities".

Thankfully there are (with add-ons) enough not-terrible female heroes available that I could get away with at least one or two sessions of this at the table before the questions started. Green-stuff away Nichole's cleavage and she might make one friend very happy.

Worst case scenario should this wind up being Eric Lang's worst game, I'll wind up with minis for a very dark DnD campaign.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Taear posted:

Not much different from the Hellfire Club in the Xmen comics tbh. Seems like a pretty normal name to me.

X-Men has spent decades trying to post facto justify a group using the word "evil" to describe themselves. It's not a source I would go to for reasonable names for things.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well, the Hellfire Club was literally a thing irl although I don't think they summoned diarrhea monsters irl, not sure tbh. maybe rutibex knows, he's a history buff

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

I've only played the original but it's super good.

I want to try all the Mac Gerdts crap, although a few people in my group don't like Navegador but it seems well liked internet wise so we'll see.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big McHuge posted:

I'm fairly sure that the definition of over-sexualized isn't just limited to gigantic tits, but also includes tits that are falling out because the shirt is only buttoned at the waist.

The definition of "over" sexualization is subjective. Some people like it, and they are the audience for that game. Unfortunately we don't live in a puritan theocracy, so people have the right to express themselves freely, and sell things that are of only a limited appeal.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well, the Hellfire Club was literally a thing irl although I don't think they summoned diarrhea monsters irl, not sure tbh. maybe rutibex knows, he's a history buff

As a knower of history, I can say with 120% accuracy that this is true.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The definition of "over" sexualization is subjective. Some people like it, and they are the audience for that game. Unfortunately we don't live in a puritan theocracy, so people have the right to express themselves freely, and sell things that are of only a limited appeal.

Thanks to our glorious people's democracy, I'm fully within my rights to tell you to shut the gently caress up when you trod out tired "free speech" arguments in favor of titty miniatures that keep this hobby inaccessible.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes let's do this here good idea

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Thanks to our glorious people's democracy, I'm fully within my rights to tell you to shut the gently caress up when you trod out tired "free speech" arguments in favor of titty miniatures that keep this hobby inaccessible.

:ssh: It's not the titty miniatures that keep women from playing nerd games.

Woman just don't like board games on average. There are currently 1463 male chess grandmasters in the world, and only 33 female. Chess is not a sexualized game at all, so it can't be misogyny that's keeping woman from playing it. Given that any board game is going to have a 98% male audience, it stands to reason that it should be marketed in ways that appeal to men.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rubitexed again

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Please source your quotes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

Woman just don't like board games on average. There are currently 1463 male chess grandmasters in the world, and only 33 female. Chess is not a sexualized game at all, so it can't be misogyny that's keeping woman from playing it. Given that any board game is going to have a 98% male audience, it stands to reason that it should be marketed in ways that appeal to men.

Actually, telling girls that chess is a boy's game *is* misogyny, and it is keeping women from playing it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Toshimo posted:

Want to grab a new game for a local bg theme night. What's the best thing that would fit "Rolling Dice"? Also prefer something that does 4 people (or 5-6, minimum 4) well, is more towards 60 minutes or less, and is maybe in the $50 or lower range.

The best dice rolling game I've played is Troyes, but it's also probably among the heaviest ones. Seasons is much, much more of a drafting game than a dice rolling game.

Taear posted:

Has anyone mentioned The Others: Seven Sins yet? It's the last 15 hours of it on Kickstarter and the first boardgame I've backed. Tonnes of extra stuff and made by the Chaos In The Old World guy.

I don't think I've seen a single CMON game that has received unqualified praise yet, and I imagine most of them are situated firmly in the mediocre to terrible range. Given how their business model works, you have to think of it as buying minis with an optional game to use them with, rather than buying a game that uses minis. Even besides that, locking out game content with Kickstarter exclusives is a lovely practice, but I guess it also means that the game is a pretty easy resell if you end up not liking it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know most people here are neckbearded Ascension haters (that game that's like Dominion but better), but the next (8th) expansion was announced.

The new mechanic, Dreamborn, gives players an insight token (a currency that carries over at the end of the round) when it flops, as well as one to the acquiring player (and other card effects).

With these tokens, players can buy cards from their "dream deck", which they draft at the start. You get 5 dream cards and keep 3 (hidden), and then start the game as normal. Dream cards can be things you acquire to your deck, or one-shot effects. The idea is that it gives you some sort of direction or strategy to aim for at the very start, and lets you keep late-game cards in reserve for later (which would just poo poo up the center row for 10 turns otherwise)

They also have a different art style for dream cards, which seemed to be the source of the most bitching about the game.

Lol.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Want to grab a new game for a local bg theme night. What's the best thing that would fit "Rolling Dice"? Also prefer something that does 4 people (or 5-6, minimum 4) well, is more towards 60 minutes or less, and is maybe in the $50 or lower range.

RftG? Seasons?

It is not renowned as an excellent game, but Quarriors is supposed to be fun for rolling huge handfulls of die. It's sort of a dice building Pokemon game, which was later reimplemented as the Dice Masters series. 30 mins per game, 2-4 players. Decent family game if that's the population expected.

Edit: Almost forgot about Escape, not sure if that was mentioned before. These are both more casual-style games, maybe not the favored type for grognards at a FLGS.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:yikes:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

drat, you just logicked the hell out of this one Rutibex.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Inb4 the discussion on the inherently sexist culture that currently occupies the chess playing community.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's hard being a woman sometimes in gaming (and this is discussing tabletop, it's insane in electronic). The poo poo that has gone on in MtG with women is horrible frankly. I can imagine some crap in chess tournaments as well. When you are doing something for entertainment there's only so much crap you want to put with before leaving the hobby. For me, gaming has been my passion for my entire 58 years (my first three syllable word was singleton, my parents were avid Bridge players) and I wouldn't let anything stop me. Most women don't feel this way.

It's changing though. Here in Los Angeles, there are plenty of women gamers, so many that the balance isn't even noticeable. At the cons, in RPG's, LARP, board games, and party games. The only genre where men totally dominate still is war games. Other than that, you'll see women gaming in LA wherever you see gaming.

And this has been a good thing. Gone are the days of showing up to a game session all smelly or whatever and expecting to play. No more just grabbing stuff from people while they are holding it. A much broader spectrum of games to play, and they aren't pink :). But they are socially engaging, something the men forgot back in the day :).

Still not enough women designers however. For whatever reason the ratio of men/women designers seems to be a lot different than the ratio of men/women players. Why that is, I don't know. I don't design myself, I'm too much of a perfectionist. But I hope someday more women get into it, as more is better, particularly when it comes to game choices ).

e: Rutibex, it's not that women don't' like gaming, it's that they aren't exposed to it as much as men have been in the past. My meetup was filled with women who wanted a safe place to game, and they knew that me being a woman, I would not harass them and I would treat them with respect. My reputation was such, many women played hobby games for the first time at my meetup.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Inb4 the discussion on the inherently sexist culture that currently occupies the chess playing community.

Lorini posted:

e: Rutibex, it's not that women don't' like gaming, it's that they aren't exposed to it as much as men have been in the past. My meetup was filled with women who wanted a safe place to game, and they knew that me being a woman, I would not harass them and I would treat them with respect. My reputation was such, many women played hobby games for the first time at my meetup.

I suspect that the attitude in many gaming communities is fairly anti-woman, just for the fact of who exactly these kinds of game appeal to. It is not a coincidence that most Magic players (or any nerd gamers in general) are the lower class of sexually appealing. Being nerdy and fat/awkward I'm sure an all-male environment appeals to them as an escape from women.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Rutibex posted:

ahahahahaha you dumb nasty motherfucker, you come into my house

Y'know what? You're right. It's not the titty miniatures that keep women out of gaming. It's the people who sell the titty miniatures, and the people who buy them. It's the corporate culture that values the male 20-35 demo so goddamn much for some reason that it acts like half the population is an unsellable market, and thus busts out male power fantasy after male conquest fantasy after male tits-or-GTFO fantasy. And it's the greasy fedoras n' cheez cesspool of geek culture that can't tell the difference between /tg/ and real life, and won't keep its goddamn elf-rape fantasies in the private spank folder it belongs in. Hell, ignoring the cat piss legions, it's the goddamn condescending "Are you here with your boyfriend?" milieu that assumes we're intruders no matter how goddamn long we've been here. (Which let me tell you, is just as loving rampant in FIDE as on BGG or the back tables of the Goblin's Prostate Game n' Jerk. Chess is rife with innumerable loving "Are men inherently better at chess than women?" discussions.)

And y'know what else? It's not loving working anymore.

Arguably it never loving worked, women have been part and parcel of the nerd market since the good ol' Star Trek slash-fiction days of the seventies, but we were bottlenecked by hostile retail environments that doubled as stanky boys' clubs. But tabletop gaming (and comics and SFF and everything else territorial nerd babies get butthurt about) has seen an increasing female audience since since the rise of Amazon et al, which lets gal hobbyists bypass the comic shop creepshows and create our own enclaves. And the tradgames industry players need to adapt or die, because they're getting hardcore competed out of the profitable sectors of the niche by publishers that treat us like humans.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Toshimo posted:

So, they cranked variance TO THE XTREME on Coinflip: The Deckbuilder and you think the chief complaint about the game was the art?

See, there are people who are just going to cry about the gameplay no matter what because they hate the idea of having unknowns to work with, and prefer neat little piles of identical cards every single game. Those players will never like Ascension, just like some players will never like Magic because, god forbid, you get bad draws and lose a game occasionally.

However, there's a group of people who thought the game was great, but were put off by the original art style, which has changed for various expansions as time went on:

(original / first change / last year / new set)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PRADA SLUT posted:

See, there are people who are just going to cry about the gameplay no matter what because they hate the idea of having unknowns to work with, and prefer neat little piles of identical cards every single game. Those players will never like Ascension, just like some players will never like Magic because, god forbid, you get bad draws and lose a game occasionally.

However, there's a group of people who thought the game was great, but were put off by the original art style, which has changed for various expansions as time went on:

It's adorable that you think the gameplay complaints can be summed up by ~hurr durr hidden information~. Magic, this ain't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think I've seen a single CMON game that has received unqualified praise yet, and I imagine most of them are situated firmly in the mediocre to terrible range.

Dogs of War and Guilds of Cadwallon deserve unqualified praise. World of Smog would as well, were it not that one of the special action cards is a little swingy. It's only their minis games that are weak; if they concentrated on making pretty bits for other people's good games I wouldn't complain at all.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

People have also been very into Blood Rage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gutter Owl posted:

Y'know what? You're right. It's not the titty miniatures that keep women out of gaming. It's the people who sell the titty miniatures, and the people who buy them. It's the corporate culture that values the male 20-35 demo so goddamn much for some reason that it acts like half the population is an unsellable market, and thus busts out male power fantasy after male conquest fantasy after male tits-or-GTFO fantasy. And it's the greasy fedoras n' cheez cesspool of geek culture that can't tell the difference between /tg/ and real life, and won't keep its goddamn elf-rape fantasies in the private spank folder it belongs in. Hell, ignoring the cat piss legions, it's the goddamn condescending "Are you here with your boyfriend?" milieu that assumes we're intruders no matter how goddamn long we've been here. (Which let me tell you, is just as loving rampant in FIDE as on BGG or the back tables of the Goblin's Prostate Game n' Jerk. Chess is rife with innumerable loving "Are men inherently better at chess than women?" discussions.)

Arguably it never loving worked, women have been part and parcel of the nerd market since the good ol' Star Trek slash-fiction days of the seventies, but we were bottlenecked by hostile retail environments that doubled as stanky boys' clubs. But tabletop gaming (and comics and SFF and everything else territorial nerd babies get butthurt about) has seen an increasing female audience since since the rise of Amazon et al, which lets gal hobbyists bypass the comic shop creepshows and create our own enclaves. And the tradgames industry players need to adapt or die, because they're getting hardcore competed out of the profitable sectors of the niche by publishers that treat us like humans.

I agree with you on everything (especially that the audience causes the issue, not the components), except it obviously does work. The ridiculous amounts of money these companies pull in through Kickstarter is proof of that, unfortunately. Luckily, the people I play with are pretty diverse and socially adjusted, so I don't have to worry about someone showing up with Tanto Cuore and the corresponding behavior.

Jedit posted:

Dogs of War and Guilds of Cadwallon deserve unqualified praise. World of Smog would as well, were it not that one of the special action cards is a little swingy. It's only their minis games that are weak; if they concentrated on making pretty bits for other people's good games I wouldn't complain at all.

Arcadia Quest is legitimately good if you like dungeon crawlers and don't mind pvp. Blood Rage is supposedly great too, my friend that has it said it has killed Kemet for him.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Toshimo posted:

It's adorable that you think the gameplay complaints can be summed up by ~hurr durr hidden information~. Magic, this ain't.

See, this is what I'm talking about. There are some people that just can't handle the idea that they'll lose an occasional game due to really bad draws, even if they think they did everything absolutely perfectly. There's no way to convince those people that any expansion is going to be fun, so they probably shouldn't even play the game at all.

They seem like the kind of people that throw a similar, self-righteous fit if another player gets a fantastic roll and knocks them out of King Of Tokyo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gutter Owl posted:

This is a great post.

Also, Goblin's Prostate Game n' Jerk. This needs to be a band, user name, or something.

Edit: Traditional Games > Board Game Thread 4e: Goblin's Prostate Game n' Jerk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. There are some people that just can't handle the idea that they'll lose an occasional game due to really bad draws, even if they think they did everything absolutely perfectly. There's no way to convince those people that any expansion is going to be fun, so they probably shouldn't even play the game at all.

They seem like the kind of people that throw a similar, self-righteous fit if another player gets a fantastic roll and knocks them out of King Of Tokyo.

I play a lot of Ascension on the iPad, and I think that Dawn of Champions and this new expansion is a step back from the last few. I think the game peaked at Rise of Vigil and Darkness Unleashed, playing with 120 stars. With that setup, RNG was minimized and you could reliably build towards certain engines and capitalize on a certain strategy the majority of the time. The new ones that give you a champion or the draft cards are a cool idea, but then if the corresponding cards don't reveal themselves at the right time you get completely screwed and can't compete with someone that got what fit their preselected stuff.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The problem with Rise of Vigil was cards like Lifebound Muse and Righteous Templar (and to a lesser extent Tablet of the Dreamer) being extremely swingy at 60-80 because of the distribution of 2-3 energy in your deck possibly giving huge economy swings really early in the game.

Maybe it's better at 2p 120 honor but I haven't messed around much with that. It would give more time for decks that fall behind early to stabilize.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I don't even like playing at 60 because it has the problem of the game ending just as you get going a lot of times and lets lucky draws play more of a role in the outcome than 120 point games. My last game this morning was 160-165 for instance, pretty good game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

120 seems like it would make Void heroes basically mandatory, though. At 60 you can get away with not trashing but trashing is still strong for later in the game, I don't see that happening at higher-point games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there some sort of magic configuration I should play with in terms of sets and honor? Because I usually play with a random 3 sets and whatever the game starts you at for honor, and it seems like a hilariously poorly designed game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

120 honor is the best for actually building an engine, but also allows you to achieve broken combos more reliably, but honestly that's the best part of the game, when both players have crazy turns going off back and forth.

Sets should be played in ones or two of consecutive releases. Otherwise you get a scarcity of mechanics that leads to bad decks with no synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The last two are okay together, as they're both standalone that have multi-type nonsense. Rally is super random (moreso than any other mechanics in the game, I've found) but you need some ways of boosting the odds - which means it's reasonable in the multitype sets and hideous otherwise.