Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The dGPU piqued my interest for a second but then I remembered XPS15 4 LYFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Will that Surface Book have user upgradable HDD and RAM?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

havenwaters posted:

Press kit Fact Sheet for the Surface Book showed up, it's a docx file: http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfacebookfs.docx

Intel GPU is the HD 520 (so Skylake GT2) and the Nvidia GPU is still not specified but has 1 GB of GDDR5 ram. 100 % sRGB display that is individually calibrated. It's using PCIe 3.0 SSDs. 1 TB is listed as an option but is not available right now.

So not a gaming book then

Which is find mind you, but don't expect gaming performance on this thing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Looking at the difference in the power bricks (36W and 65W) and just one gb vram points in an awful direction. 930M or there about.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

The Iron Rose posted:

So not a gaming book then

Which is find mind you, but don't expect gaming performance on this thing.

He did demo playing Gears of War on stage, then some footage editing. It can do some gaming, the question is, exactly how much?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Skandranon posted:

He did demo playing Gears of War on stage, then some footage editing. It can do some gaming, the question is, exactly how much?

The demo was actually a video of gameplay footage from a Surface Book playing Gears HD so *shrug* It wasn't exactly a live demo.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

MrChupon posted:

Will that Surface Book have user upgradable HDD and RAM?

Almost certainly not

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's completely closed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TopherCStone posted:

Most certainly not

The form factor just doesn't allow for anything except maybe an ssd swap. However since the book need to be able to run without being hooked to the dock and it's one big tablet... I hope you like removing glass with a credit card.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aphrodite posted:

That picture actually made me burst out laughing.

I know attention to detail isn't exactly Microsoft's strong suite but even so that is ridiculous.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Oh boy the screen is 3:2. Not quite as tall as a 15.6" 16:9.

Not that I'd want this. Glossy screen, no trackpad buttons, where's the optical drive.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 6, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sarehu posted:

Not that I'd want this. Glossy screen, no trackpad buttons, where's the optical drive.

3:2 aspect ratio is way better for productivity imo, especially at 3000x2000 :allears:

What do you need trackpad buttons for? Get a USB optical drive because lol who still uses optical media :haw:

Aphrodite posted:

Way to pick a skewed image of poor quailty. Sans the small gap of space, it looks like any other wedge shaped laptop when closed.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 6, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

dissss posted:

That picture actually made me burst out laughing.

I know attention to detail isn't exactly Microsoft's strong suite but even so that is ridiculous.

I think that picture's off, I watched the livestream and a few on-hands reviews. It does not look that clunky. Here's one from a reporter at the on-hands:

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Writing on a laptop with a touchscreen is bad. You don't want to do that. You can type faster than you can write anyway, can't you?

Arguibly you should be writing your notes, studies show that when you type out your notes you don't actually pick up what is being taught so using something like a Surface/SurfacePro/Book with a pen and OneNote is actually a very good thing.

As far as the Surface Pro line goes, I'm quite happy MS kept some backwards compatibility, that bodes well for future generations of this product, most likely things will continue to get slimmer while keeping keyboard/pen/docking port compatible. I doubt the SP3 dock will work with the SP5, but the SP4 dock (backwards compatible with the SP3) will most likely work with the SP5 using the same thin power/data port. MS doing some good stuff.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Fatal posted:

Arguibly you should be writing your notes, studies show that when you type out your notes you don't actually pick up what is being taught so using something like a Surface/SurfacePro/Book with a pen and OneNote is actually a very good thing.

In addition, writing math and science equations is far faster than typing. It's also a life saver for homework, especially if you're sloppy like me and work through problems sloppily. I can cut/paste/move/resize, whereas my classmates had to rewrite their homework or do it in Word/Latex.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

sarehu posted:

*shrug*
I haven't had an optical drive in a laptop since 2005.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Rurutia posted:

In addition, writing math and science equations is far faster than typing. It's also a life saver for homework, especially if you're sloppy like me and work through problems sloppily. I can cut/paste/move/resize, whereas my classmates had to rewrite their homework or do it in Word/Latex.

Have you played around with the handwritten math to text stuff or just purely using handwritten? Curious how much it actually converts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you look at the vents, those other 2 pictures depict the screen facing up. It's possible that it doesn't close the same depending on the direction it's connected.

It's not my picture, someone just posted it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I think that picture's off, I watched the livestream and a few on-hands reviews. It does not look that clunky. Here's one from a reporter at the on-hands:

Yeah I get that the other picture was stretched (just look at the USB ports) but it's still a massive fail given how thick it makes the device when closed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

dissss posted:

Yeah I get that the other picture was stretched (just look at the USB ports) but it's still a massive fail given how thick it makes the device when closed.

As thick as any other laptop in it's class?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, I don't get the thickness complaint, at it's thickest it's 0.9", who knows what the other end is but significantly thinner. Very comparable to the MBP at 0.71" especially since the Surface Book weighs less.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 6, 2015

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Insignificantly thick?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh my I want that new Surface laptop. Of course I want the $2,700 version.

Nope. Way too expensive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fatal posted:

Yeah, I don't get the thickness complaint, at it's thickest it's 0.9", who knows what the other end is but significantly thinner. Very comparable to the MBP at 0.71" especially since the Surface Book weighs less.

That's almost a 30% difference.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Oh my I want that new Surface laptop. Of course I want the $2,700 version.

Nope. Way too expensive.

The one that is already out of stock :drat:

Aphrodite posted:

That's almost a 30% difference.

Yes, but what is the other end? I'd wager is the same amount of cubic space, just squished to one end.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Just FYI everyone, most modern games can be played on most modern laptops as long as you're willing to crank the graphics down to low. Like yeah you probably shouldn't be expecting to go play Arkham Knight on high without a dGPU but if that's your priority then you're probably looking for a computer with a dGPU anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Skandranon posted:

It's in the same class as an XPS 13 which is around 2/3rds the thickness.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

dissss posted:

It's in the same class as an XPS 13 which is around 2/3rds the thickness.

Not with the dGPU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not quite sure how thin people expect it to be with a dGPU. v:shobon:v I feel like there's limits to the technology available and it's pretty amazing what they have accomplished in such a small space. As someone who do place aesthetics pretty high up there, it really doesn't bother me. Especially since the screen detaches into a separate tablet that (supposedly) has a 6 hr battery life alone and is compatible with Surface Pro keyboards.

With that said, I understand why it'd be a personal deal breaker, I just don't think it's fair to laugh and say they really hosed up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fatal posted:

Not with the dGPU

The dGPU model isn't going to be worthwhile anyway

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

dissss posted:

The dGPU model isn't going to be worthwhile anyway

It's either a 950m or 960m, that's worth it compared to any of the mobile Iris line.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fatal posted:

It's either a 950m or 960m, that's worth it compared to any of the mobile Iris line.

Really? With a 65W power adapter?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

dissss posted:

Really? With a 65W power adapter?

NVidia is saying Maxwell architecture, but yeah no clue. source gpus with maxwell

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rurutia posted:

NVidia is saying Maxwell architecture, but yeah no clue. source gpus with maxwell

930M and 940M are Maxwell too IIRC

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

930M and 940M are Maxwell too IIRC
If it's less than a 940 they'll lose all their customers. It's a 950 most likely, 960 would be unexpectedly nice.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Tablet portion able to charge independently confirmed. Nice.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Fatal posted:

Have you played around with the handwritten math to text stuff or just purely using handwritten? Curious how much it actually converts.

Sorry was phone posting, totally forgot to reply to this. Yes I have. It converts fine if you write it exactly like how typing would format it. However, I am more laissez faire with my notation when I'm doing complicated proofs so I rarely use the conversion.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

If it's less than a 940 they'll lose all their customers. It's a 950 most likely, 960 would be unexpectedly nice.

Given that it comes with a 65W power adapter I don't see how that is going to work

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Apparently I have nothing better to do between sets. So looks like the GPU is custom which is why they're being so hush hush about it. source

quote:

The new GPU is a Maxwell based GPU with GDDR5 memory. It was designed to deliver the best performance in ultra-thin form factors such as the Surface Book keyboard dock. Given its unique implementation and design in the keyboard module, it cannot be compared to a traditional 900M series GPU. Contact Microsoft for performance information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Rurutia posted:

Apparently I have nothing better to do between sets. So looks like the GPU is custom which is why they're being so hush hush about it. source

Intriguing. I was waiting to buy the upgraded XPS 13 but a slim laptop with a dGPU is incredibly tempting. This comes out at the end of the month?