Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gonz posted:

Jodorowski's Dune was gonna star the founder of Men's Warehouse? SWEET.

Edit: Wait; I just realized that's supposed to be Jodorowski.

Yeah I remember that part of the documentary where Jodorowsky is dressed like Obi Wan and he shows off his collection of assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So Mondo is a really elaborate troll, right? No one has ever actually given them money, right?

Studio execs eat this poo poo up so they can hang them on their office walls all over town. It's a status symbol.

I bet you didn't think you could be more grossed out by it, did you?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm more grossed out at how obvious it seems in hindsight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Flash's mask looks like a Halloween costume.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It really does look like The Crimson Bolt's costume.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Shoehead posted:

I love how this is shot from below but the viewer is eye level with the door in the back.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

holy poo poo what

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

It really does look like The Crimson Bolt's costume.

Yeah, seeing that made me second guess myself like "wait a minute, was The Crimson Bolt that heavily influenced by The Flash?". But nope, in making it look like a DIY costume like a kid would make they made it look like Crimson Bolt rip-off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I looked at this way too long. It's like I'm in a new dimension and my brain can't accept it.

f/e: also The Flash runs while dragging his knee on the ground. Huh.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just for the hell of it, gonna call this one a successful engagement with the disorientation of a post-modern surveillance society.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Allen Wren posted:

holy poo poo what

That looks like the shittiest of shittiest YA. Maybe it will finally be the nail in its loving coffin-bahaha who am I kidding that poo poo rakes in money.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BonoMan posted:

That looks like the shittiest of shittiest YA. Maybe it will finally be the nail in its loving coffin-bahaha who am I kidding that poo poo rakes in money.

I just want to see a wizard fight a robot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

It's set in the post-apocalyptic future yet somehow there are Elves, wizards and demons. In Oregon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

kiimo posted:

It's set in the post-apocalyptic future yet somehow there are Elves, wizards and demons. In Oregon.

Is that really so difficult to buy? I mean the demons and elves and poo poo showing up probably caused the apocalypse in the first place.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Is that really so difficult to buy? I mean the demons and elves and poo poo showing up probably caused the apocalypse in the first place.

I think it was nukes. After most of human civilization got trashed, then the elves came back. Dwarves and trolls are mutated humans.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Judging from the wikipedia, which is the only thing I've read about it, no. No, I think I hate it. You either put elves in your fantasy and set it in a different realm or the ancient past or you don't put anything Tolkien-related in it at all. Or Norse-mythology-related I should say. I always despised mixed media in art for some reason and I think this is a byproduct of whatever motivates those feelings.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure this series bites, but Shadowrun put elves in Blade Runner and it worked fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

So Portlandia the movie?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shadowrun is not what I'd call the model for a good show or really anything other than complete nerdgasm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's been slowly becoming more common anyway. Simultaneous openings cut down on piracy, but it can be hard to arrange it.

Why does the UK tend to get Marvel movies a week earlier than the US? Both Disney and Marvel are US companies and I don't think it happens with Pixar films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize it before but these were posters that were made in the Ghana style by Americans for various repository theaters and not actually made in Ghana by Ghanaian artists.

That's loving disgusting, the "nah, they each got a cool 20 dollars" comment would have been a less exploitative situation.

Edit, need to keep reading the thread for future posts instead of reacting emotionally when there's still more than a page of comments after something.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 7, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kiimo posted:

Judging from the wikipedia, which is the only thing I've read about it, no. No, I think I hate it. You either put elves in your fantasy and set it in a different realm or the ancient past or you don't put anything Tolkien-related in it at all. Or Norse-mythology-related I should say. I always despised mixed media in art for some reason and I think this is a byproduct of whatever motivates those feelings.

Boy the whole concept of low fantasy must put you in a tizzy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Separate, but equal. That's how I prefer my fantasy in my conservative old age.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How many copies of Harry Potter did you rip up while screaming "NO. MORE. EEEEELVES!" to the sky?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I've never read the books and I don't really care much for fantasy either way but if you're going to try to capitalize on Game of Throne's popularity (with a little Walking Dead/Hunger Games post-apocalypse for good measure) having a show where wizards fight robots is far from the worst way to do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

Having been to Oregon, this seems like a solid premise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

somehow there are Elves, wizards and demons. In Oregon.

So, Gravity Falls.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I wonder if my dad's love of the Shannara books will be enough to get him to willingly turn on MTV.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I wonder if my dad's love of the Shannara books will be enough to get him to willingly turn on MTV.

What's the point now that Big Dickin' Starring RJ Berger is off the air.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wizards and robots exist in such thematically different universe that combining the two just seems utterly disorderly. I think it works if you have robot wizards (or wizard robots) but pitting one against the other is like setting a shark against a lion. It expects too much of the viewer to mesh two incongruent universes together.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

Wizards and robots exist in such thematically different universe that combining the two just seems utterly disorderly. I think it works if you have robot wizards (or wizard robots) but pitting one against the other is like setting a shark against a lion. It expects too much of the viewer to mesh two incongruent universes together.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

What's the point now that Big Dickin' Starring RJ Berger is off the air.

Shannara features the decently well-hung Manu Bennett, so this feels like a lateral move to me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

kiimo posted:

Did the wizards use their magic to move the Space Needle to Oregon :ohdear:

Doesn't matter, because the whole thing was filmed in New Zealand, which has apparently become Default Magic Land. I wonder if New Zealanders view this as an upgrade or downgrade from always being confused for part of Australia.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
WoW has machines and mages too, but doesn't take itself seriously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Erebus posted:

Did the wizards use their magic to move the Space Needle to Oregon :ohdear:

Doesn't matter, because the whole thing was filmed in New Zealand, which has apparently become Default Magic Land. I wonder if New Zealanders view this as an upgrade or downgrade from always being confused for part of Australia.

Blame Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my point is I don't remember any of this apocalypse stuff, but I also read (the first three books of) Shannara when I was like 12, so

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Not sure if it has been posted but the new Iron Giant poster for the upcoming theatrical remaster looks dope as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Vagabundo posted:

And one for John Hillcoat's latest, Triple 9.

It kind of looks like a poster for a video game, like that cops v. robbers Battlefield game or something along the lines of GTA.

I can't help but get the feeling from the trailer that this will be another hamhanded 'cops good, protests bad' message a la Dark Knight Rises.