Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Dandelion knows Geralt has (slightly) different priorities and is pompous enough to bother to give relationship advice whenever possible. It's testament to how bad Geralt is at this stuff that Dandelion's advice is an improvement over his usual behavior in the early books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the amnesia stuff wasn't written originally in a way that it's portrayed in the 3rd game. It's like they came up with the idea in the first game and worked around it later on with more and more past characters coming into the picture who they had to somehow squeeze into this narrative. They end up with everybody and their dog knowing about Geralt's amnesia but not telling him for more and more overly complex/made up reasons so they decide to just stop explaining it except for Triss who ends up being shown in a much worse light than it was actually planned at first.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Triss was meant to be shown in a poor light in that regard. That whole thing in TW1 was skeevy as gently caress, and it's really the main thing about the amnesia they kept going forward.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I think Triss was meant to be shown in a poor light in that regard. That whole thing in TW1 was skeevy as gently caress, and it's really the main thing about the amnesia they kept going forward.
Oh, yeah, definitely. How she acts in W2 regarding Roses of Remembrance and finding memories bears this out, I think.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
poo poo had kinda hit the fan at that point. She's not pure evil.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Also worth considering is that if Triss is willing to manipulate Geralt, she's likely also perfectly willing to manipulate any of his friends into keeping quiet about Yennefer.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lawnie posted:

rats, I thought he was a really cool character. I'm assuming his "death" in the books will be via some badass means, though, so that's cool. Looking forward to those translations coming out.

Regis goes out in the most heroic way possible. Don't worry, he dies like he lived.

Although being honest, I'd be 1000% down with the mysterious robed man being Regis. You hear that Comte, if Regis were to reappear in Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine, I wouldn't be complaining.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iorveth and Saskia before any dead fellowship members please.

Slashrat posted:

Also worth considering is that if Triss is willing to manipulate Geralt, she's likely also perfectly willing to manipulate any of his friends into keeping quiet about Yennefer.

She's usually not that brave and focused in her manipulations. She manipulates the way a kid or teenager manipulates, with no thought to the big picture or the sustainability of the lie. She's no Philippa. She's just immature.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cheesetriangles posted:

How the gently caress did no one post the trailer yet?\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdxS9R6NTE

:flashfap: gently caress I am hype for this.

Snak posted:

So you're a domestic abuse apologist? :confused:

lmao

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can someone tell if you actually get to fight a dragon in W3?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a consensus on how to buy the expansion content? I am definitely going to get both of them, but hearts of stone is 15% off in the PSN store on preorder. Am I still better off just buying the pass, or would buying them separately now maybe be cheaper?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Absolutely. It's 100 feet long, has golden scales, and breathes huge jets of fire that scorch the landscape. It was a harrowing battle, let me tell you, worth even more than the price we agreed on...

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just buy the pass if you like the game. And GOG to support CDPR of course :10bux:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm curious whether or not there'll be a "Game of the Year Edition" or whatever. I'm currently playing this via Gamefly and I like it enough that I'm definitely gonna buy it at some point, but I wonder if there'll be a version that has everything on the disc from the get-go. That's usually what I prefer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At some point there will be, but it won't be until summer of 2016 at the earliest.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Iorveth and Saskia before any dead fellowship members please.

She's usually not that brave and focused in her manipulations. She manipulates the way a kid or teenager manipulates, with no thought to the big picture or the sustainability of the lie. She's no Philippa. She's just immature.

I see her as basically wanting two things: Geralt and being part of the cool kids' club. She's really insecure about both. It's what makes her character interesting; otherwise she'd be super boring, imo.

Can you actually kill higher vampires in this setting? Don't they regenerate eventually? Although Regis was turned into crystal and exploded IIRC.

Can't wait to see what that giant turtle thing is.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was just saying in IRC that she is a total plain girl. Triss is a loser who wishes she was cool. Yennefer is the prom queen who also is way better at magic.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

The Sharmat posted:

Dandelion knows Geralt has (slightly) different priorities and is pompous enough to bother to give relationship advice whenever possible. It's testament to how bad Geralt is at this stuff that Dandelion's advice is an improvement over his usual behavior in the early books.
Let's consider Geralt:
- bad at dealing with emotions and relationships
- calls all his horses the same name
- but really good at learning how to kill monsters and applying that knowledge.
- keeps getting into fights amongst people he doesn't care about.
- makes absurd demands as his payment from time to time.

Hmmmm. :spergin:

cheesetriangles posted:

Isn't it one of Geralt's things that he doesn't take contracts to fight actual dragons (as opposed to wyverns and griffins and other arsehole things with wings)

The GOG client is OK, getting all the free DLC to download was a bit of a hassle but I've dealt with worse DD clients.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Isn't it one of Geralt's things that he doesn't take contracts to fight actual dragons (as opposed to wyverns and griffins and other arsehole things with wings)

Geralt says that hunting dragons is against the Witcher's Code.

There's also no such thing as a Witcher's Code, it's just what Geralt says when he doesn't want to do a thing, like hunt a dragon, considering most of them tend to be sentient or close acquaintances in disguise.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Witcher's Code is basically the Pirate's Code.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Absolutely. It's 100 feet long, has golden scales, and breathes huge jets of fire that scorch the landscape. It was a harrowing battle, let me tell you, worth even more than the price we agreed on...

I killed Borch's daughter and then I killed him. :colbert:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

Can you actually kill higher vampires in this setting? Don't they regenerate eventually? Although Regis was turned into crystal and exploded IIRC.

Not really. I mean Regis intro story even kind of goes over that. He was a vampire jock, who drank blood all the time and was a raging blood alcoholic. His mistress/lover left him for being so juvenile, and the nearby town cut his body into pieces, put multiple stakes through his heart, and then dowsed his remains in holy water before burying him. Took him 50 odd years to recover, and plenty of time to reassess who he wanted to be in his unlife.

The whole shattering thing makes it a bit more complicated, since technically no part of him survived to regenerate from, but hey, it's not like he COULDN'T come back again.

I'm just saying. If Geralt gets into a tricky spot in these DLCs and someone needs to deus ex machina him out, Regis would be a great choice! gently caress some elf pretty boy nobody really likes, and a dragon lady who is probably dead. Regis is the real return character we all want.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Three Jackdaws or bust :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I killed Borch's daughter and then I killed him. :colbert:

I'm out of my depth here, I was just making a joke about the contract where you kill a forktail that the peasants think is a terrifying dragon.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Xerxes17 posted:

Three Jackdaws or bust :colbert:

Where's my harem of feral warrior women? Is that in the second expansion?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm out of my depth here, I was just making a joke about the contract where you kill a forktail that the peasants think is a terrifying dragon.

Borch is the human alias of the golden dragon that fathered Saskia. He's in the second book.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just got to Kaer Mohren is it possible to beat the game in the next 10-12 hours or so? You know one sitting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I just got to Kaer Mohren is it possible to beat the game in the next 10-12 hours or so? You know one sitting.

If you just rush the main story, yeah probably. There's still quite a bit to go but the game stops adding many side quests at this point so if you've already gotten all the side stuff you want done it's probably not too long to get to the end.

There is at least one major side quest that's yet to unlock though and you'll probably want to do it so make sure to keep an eye out for that.

I have no idea how long in actual time though because there's no way to get an accurate look at play time on PS4 so I don't even know how long the whole game took me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay... my "you a domestic abuse apologist" comment got some eye-rolls, but I was responding to this:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I am, by no means, a relationship expert, but here's a free piece of advice. Sometimes people feel aggrieved, and if you don't want them to teleport you into a lake, you should not try to talk them out of feeling aggrieved. "It wasn't my fault" is such a lovely thing to say when someone is telling you that they are hurting.
And I can't see how that's different from saying that if you don't want to get hit, don't antagonize them when they are emotionally vulnerable. That is literally the excuse that domestic abusers make, that someone is emotionally abusive towards them so they respond with physical abuse. Like if the roles were reversed and a male character slapped a female character because she was being insensitive, no one would be defending it.

edit: And in case it's not obvious, no I don't think that forums poster Comte de Saint-Germain is defending real-life domestic abusers.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 7, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
No one hit anyone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, i guess you could argue that dropping someone from into water from over a hundred feet up isn't physical violence, but I guarantee it's possibly to slap someone with less force.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You're really overthinking this. It's a joke scene.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just shut up.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Agreed. Question I've wondered about Letho since we get to find out what he's been up to. How does someone as smart as him decide to make a deal with the emperor of all people. He must have known the emperor was going to screw him no matter what. Was it all because of Radovid? I think the emperor would have turned on Letho no matter what and that was a stupid deal to make.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think because him and all his friends were taken prisoner and made to agree under duress?

Also I found one weird trick. You can go to Kaer Mohren then not do any the quests there and go back and do all the other side quests and you aren't locked out of them until you actually finish the Kaer Mohren stuff.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I have a technical question regarding this game's GPU load. I've tried just about everything but the game always seems to top out my graphics card to the point of complete insanity, getting temperatures i've never gotten before. It doesn't matter what I set it to, the game always uses the same amount of computing power from my graphics card.

Are there any tricks to relieving GPU load? Specifically heat generating ones?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Drugs for the drug god.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

NeoSeeker posted:

I have a technical question regarding this game's GPU load. I've tried just about everything but the game always seems to top out my graphics card to the point of complete insanity, getting temperatures i've never gotten before. It doesn't matter what I set it to, the game always uses the same amount of computing power from my graphics card.

Are there any tricks to relieving GPU load? Specifically heat generating ones?

There are apps that let you manually underclock your graphics card or reduce its power supply. Nvidia has nTune, ATI probably also has their own and there are plenty of third party ones.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Snak posted:

Okay... my "you a domestic abuse apologist" comment got some eye-rolls, but I was responding to this:

And I can't see how that's different from saying that if you don't want to get hit, don't antagonize them when they are emotionally vulnerable. That is literally the excuse that domestic abusers make, that someone is emotionally abusive towards them so they respond with physical abuse. Like if the roles were reversed and a male character slapped a female character because she was being insensitive, no one would be defending it.

edit: And in case it's not obvious, no I don't think that forums poster Comte de Saint-Germain is defending real-life domestic abusers.

Domestic violence is obviously totally unacceptable. Does teleporting someone into a lake count as domestic abuse? Depends on the context. If I did it in real life, clearly, yes. If Yenn does it to Geralt in their fairytale land, it's not.

When someone is hurting and trying to work through that, their partner needs to be able to recognize that and help them work through it. The inability of someone to do that doesn't mean they deserve to get hit or teleported or turned into a frog, it means that they should probably not be with that person.

If your version of Geralt can't get over the fact that Yenn is going to side-swipe him occasionally while she works out her feelings of betrayal, yeah, he should be with Triss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Genuinely started to effort post in reply, then realised Oh God This Is A Rabbit Hole.

tl;dr - My Geralt feels sympathy for her, but doesn't feel in the wrong, and making him chase her all over the loving world because he should infer everything all the time when Yenn could have fixed it at any time is why he's dumping her for Triss.