Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Car and Driver just put up their review of the Colorado diesel, which reminded me of something pretty drat cool. It's not that there's a diesel in a compact truck, or how powerful the V6 is or how much it can tow... I'm talking about the base engine.

There now exists a naturally aspirated four cylinder gasoline engine, used as the base engine in a pickup truck, that puts out 200 horsepower. I think that's some awesome poo poo. My dad used to have a truck with a good ol Murican three-fiddy V8 putting out 150 from the factory. By the time I got my old Suburban they'd managed to up it to 210.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, everyone in this thread should watch it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Some DINK posted:

I have student loans (1.6k a month towards a 130k debt).That eats up all of my monthly pay and part of his. I don't regret the investment, I made more than my mother straight out of school, and she's been working 40 years.

No, you didn't. You make less than nothing, if your student dept costs MORE than your income, idiot.

MrYenko posted:

Caprice incompletely converted into an Impala SS? Check.
Cheesy Chevy badging on the trunklid and fenders? Check.
Black with oxidized clearcoat? Check.
Handicapped placard hanging from rearview? Check.
Full godamned rollcage, and an idle exhaust note that reminded me of a Sprint Cup car? Check.

:getin:

Yeah, that last line offsets all those above it.

StormDrain posted:

Proper Bel-Camino.

I absolutely love that they used the Nomad hatch for the rear window, and that it still works as a hatch.

Slavvy posted:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, everyone in this thread should watch it.

That Mustang is awesome, and I can't wait until the prices for the motors, controllers, and battery packs come down to under the cost of a medium house, so I can do that to my cutlass. Or one of my non-running (there are other kinds?) RX-7s

Friar Zucchini posted:

Car and Driver just put up their review of the Colorado diesel, which reminded me of something pretty drat cool. It's not that there's a diesel in a compact truck, or how powerful the V6 is or how much it can tow... I'm talking about the base engine.

There now exists a naturally aspirated four cylinder gasoline engine, used as the base engine in a pickup truck, that puts out 200 horsepower. I think that's some awesome poo poo. My dad used to have a truck with a good ol Murican three-fiddy V8 putting out 150 from the factory. By the time I got my old Suburban they'd managed to up it to 210.

Once those engines hit the used market, I imagine a number of Jeeps and smaller off-roaders will benefit.

content (coming soon):
I went to the Goodguys Fall show at the Texas Motor Speedway. I need to upload the pics to a share, and I'll post them in this thread. Some nice stuff there.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Darchangel posted:

That Mustang is awesome, and I can't wait until the prices for the motors, controllers, and battery packs come down to under the cost of a medium house, so I can do that to my cutlass. Or one of my non-running (there are other kinds?) RX-7s
All the electric kit is getting cheaper, moreso if you're like me and have two batshit insane electronics genius friends who made a spot welder out of an old microwave to build your battery packs.

We're doing a motorcycle though, so it's all scaled down a bunch. Now that Tesla's opened up their portfolio of patents, it could be getting even cheaper to do electric cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The motor kits and that are cheap enough, but it's like $5,000, add your own batteries! and then you find out $10k in batteries gets you more or less to the grocery store and back, assuming you live in the parking lot of the grocery store.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm surprised Audi or Mercedes hasn't come up with some kind of brake by wire system with a radiator for the fluid yet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm surprised Audi or Mercedes hasn't come up with some kind of brake by wire system with a the radiator for the fluid yet as an integral component.

Slight adjustment. Also somehow the braking and cooling systems would both become significantly less reliable in the process.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

Slight adjustment. Also somehow the braking and cooling systems would both become significantly less reliable in the process.

But it'd shave 3 seconds off the Nurburgring lap time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E: whoops wrong thread

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Galler posted:

Yet so impressive in controlled moose tests and 100-0 times! :science:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

slothrop posted:

Don't know if this sweet electric Mustang has been posted here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

if that's not AI enough for you, the new Dirt Every Day project looks like a shitton of fun, I just wish it were a little longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoi95SBE2wM

That's what I hate about DED, hardly any episode is long enough. They start a project and never finish it on camera. The next episode starts with them driving it with the whole blah blah sponsor plug that did the work on it.
If you want to watch a show with people on the tools getting something running all the way to completion, DED is not for you.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Mitch has a thread for his garage build (and subsequent build of the 222) on garage journal if you have a few hours to kill, it's pretty neat seeing him finally getting some decent media attention. He's a real likeable guy and tells a good story.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199243

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fo3 posted:

That's what I hate about DED, hardly any episode is long enough. They start a project and never finish it on camera. The next episode starts with them driving it with the whole blah blah sponsor plug that did the work on it.
If you want to watch a show with people on the tools getting something running all the way to completion, DED is not for you.
I agree that each episode could do with being about 10-15 minutes longer and showing more of the actual build.

That said I love his jabs at Roadkill.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

slothrop posted:

Don't know if this sweet electric Mustang has been posted here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

This is beautiful. :circlefap:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can we make something like that the norm please? I have a few friends doing car design at university and I've begged them to look into materials science so we can make cars that look awesome, are super safe and are fast and fun as gently caress.

That Mustang is pretty much what I'd love in a car... Beautiful.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
A few years ago I had a dream of converting a Challenger to full-electric. Love to see that it would be exactly as cool as I imagined

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

88h88 posted:

Can we make something like that the norm please? I have a few friends doing car design at university and I've begged them to look into materials science so we can make cars that look awesome, are super safe and are fast and fun as gently caress.

That Mustang is pretty much what I'd love in a car... Beautiful.

That 50 mile range though.
It would be an amazing 50 miles but considering how fast this thing goes it'd be over in a moment.

Battery tech needs to get a lot better before this is a thing, sadly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It would be an amazing 50 miles but considering how fast this thing goes it'd be over in a moment.

Battery tech is another thing I've prodded them in the direction of. I want poo poo like this to be available for less than the $220k+ he made it for.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Battery tech is another thing I've prodded them in the direction of. I want poo poo like this to be available for less than the $220k+ he made it for.
Well how does Tesla do the whole 300 mile range thing? Is that snake oil or what?

edit: I doubt that the Zombie 222 has things like regenerative braking or anything like that, the way Prius and Tesla does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

scuz posted:

Well how does Tesla do the whole 300 mile range thing? Is that snake oil or what?

edit: I doubt that the Zombie 222 has things like regenerative braking or anything like that, the way Prius and Tesla does.

The Tesla isn't putting out anywhere near the level of power of the 222 so that'd be a hell of a difference for a start, the 222 pulls down 1.1MW vs the Tesla's 568kW in LUDICROUS mode. 1.1MW being 1100kW. That would gently caress a battery for a start.

I need to do more reading because my knowledge on this sort of stuff isn't great.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

88h88 posted:

It might be worth $220k but I think he mentions if you bring him the chassis he can put $125k worth of parts in and it is the same.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fo3 posted:

By this standard, Roadkill really isn't, either. :haw:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
If you were willing to settle for 400hp you could double your mileage or better. Unless they're doing something crazy, you should be able to increase your mileage just by not putting your foot fully into it. I guarantee you won't get 300 miles out of a Tesla if you floor it everywhere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Roadkill will get something running to overheating. :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The Ford GT racecar is pretty cool:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

88h88 posted:

The Tesla isn't putting out anywhere near the level of power of the 222 so that'd be a hell of a difference for a start, the 222 pulls down 1.1MW vs the Tesla's 568kW in LUDICROUS mode. 1.1MW being 1100kW. That would gently caress a battery for a start.

I need to do more reading because my knowledge on this sort of stuff isn't great.

Given that the vid claims 800hp, and that 1100kw is nearly double that (1475 hp), the driveline efficiency is pretty poo poo if those numbers are right, that's nearly 50% loss from the battery to the wheels. Tesla claims north of 75% driveline efficiency. Given how electric cars work adding more power shouldn't hit the range if you are not actually using said power, unlike a normal car where the most efficient throttle setting is wide open.

The car is neat and all but plonking an electric motor where the combustion one used to be and calling it good always seems to be halfhassing it to me, if you are going to use 2 motors anyway just rip out the whole drivetrain and put them in place of the differential already.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

jamal posted:

I'm in love with the flying buttress so much on those cars.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If you were willing to settle for 400hp you could double your mileage or better. Unless they're doing something crazy, you should be able to increase your mileage just by not putting your foot fully into it. I guarantee you won't get 300 miles out of a Tesla if you floor it everywhere.

Indeed. I'm driving a P90D today and at one point it told me my estimated range (with 75% battery) was about 90 miles. If you drove like a grownup I'm sure it would do a lot better though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kafouille posted:

Given that the vid claims 800hp, and that 1100kw is nearly double that (1475 hp), the driveline efficiency is pretty poo poo if those numbers are right, that's nearly 50% loss from the battery to the wheels. Tesla claims north of 75% driveline efficiency. Given how electric cars work adding more power shouldn't hit the range if you are not actually using said power, unlike a normal car where the most efficient throttle setting is wide open.

The car is neat and all but plonking an electric motor where the combustion one used to be and calling it good always seems to be halfhassing it to me, if you are going to use 2 motors anyway just rip out the whole drivetrain and put them in place of the differential already.

Yeah but that's guy in workshop vs. niche automotive company with hella capital and dedicated engineers.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
http://imgur.com/gallery/Ai6Ec

This guy bought an RX7 FD and restored it, learning how on the way. Pretty awesome.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

jamal posted:

Is there any chance that this thing could compete against LMP cars? Because if it can fight for an overall win while being a "road car" that would be swell :allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well they are heavier and do not have as much power or downforce as an LMP car so not really. Unless you have a ridiculous situation like petit lemans in a hurricane last weekend where a Porsche GT car won overall. Although there weren't LMP1 cars there, just daytona prototypes which are slower.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 7, 2015

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

On his website it claims up to 140 miles depending on pack selection: http://www.zombie222.com/zombie-specs.html

Batteries do need to get better but claiming that a one-off, hand built car that's purpose made to break speed records, can do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds and packs 1800ft/lbs isn't getting enough range is just silly. I'm confident that if this guy put his mind to building something with ultimate range he could go hundreds and hundreds of miles on a charge.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Ahh, I remember the GT1 cars of the 90s. Routinely bloodying the nose of the LMPs. I would be quite happy to see these things return.

e: Hahahaha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

quote:

The 1994 race was won by a car that had its roots in a 10-year-old design. Porsche exploited an unusual quirk in the GT regulations at the time, using German fashion magnate Jochen Dauer in a plan to have a street-legal version of the outdated and now illegal Porsche 962 built. Using this road car design, Porsche entered two racing modified Dauer 962s in the GT category. With factory support, the Dauer 962 was able to take the win, the other 962 coming in a close third.

I had no idea about this and it makes me smile.

Falken fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 7, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jamal posted:

I really hope they have a great season running that thing because it is gorgeous. Bare carbon :circlefap:

Hey guys...

http://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/651809264483336192/photo/1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wow, Amazon got all three of them to come along?

That's nuts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bare carbon :circlefap:

It's not my cup of tea but this has been making the rounds. Callaway's new GT3-R Corvette. 600hp which I believe is still naturally aspirated.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the ford GT seems like the first car in a long time where they built a race car and then made it roadworthy rather than the other way around.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

jamal posted:

Well they are heavier and do not have as much power or downforce as an LMP car so not really. Unless you have a ridiculous situation like petit lemans in a hurricane last weekend where a Porsche GT car won overall. Although there weren't LMP1 cars there, just daytona prototypes which are slower.

Yeah, there is no way a GT car will ever be able to challenge an LMP car with the current rules; the LMPs are mind-bogglingly fast. Let's put it this way; they're 45 seconds a lap faster around Le Mans than a fast GT car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The LMPs could break in all sorts of hilarious ways. like the alternator goes and they have to remove the transmission to change it.