Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Propaganda Machine posted:

Is it good? Is there a link?

it was very good. he poked him pretty well in the interview, and had to calm the audience down at one point

as for the trump interview, colbert did a very good job of controlling it. trump seemed a bit quiet for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

It was more like straight garbage. I tried to soldier through it because mental illness and disability are two of the most horrifically misunderstood things in American society. Yes, of course it's American society, it's a Last Week Tonight main story- granted, last week's was about Europe and it still sucked for reasons that I'm about to get into.

By the time John made a joke (well, more like a glorified cultural reference) to Lil Wayne, I just couldn't progress any further. Every joke on this show involves him repeating what a news anchor said 5 seconds ago in a clip and either yelling or making some pop culture reference. And during the main story, no matter what it is, it's 15 to 20 minutes of that plus a really preachy ending. The skit at the end of the refugee crisis main story is the perfect example of that- it's just two soap opera characters recapping what John spent an entire chunk of time talking about.

There is no effort put into Last Week Tonight anymore. It's less like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert, and more like Jimmy Fallon or Family Guy. Unlike Fallon or MacFarlene, John Oliver has talent, but he clearly isn't using it. I'm just glad that Trevor Noah made a positive impact to The Daily Show and Colbert is about as sharp as ever, because if it weren't for them, the landscape for this kind of show would be barren. But hey, at least he isn't mugging for the camera with funny faces like Jon Stewart did. You don't want to waste time that could be spent making a joke about Taylor Lautner, after all!

I agree with you, maybe in less harsh terms. I don't think John Oliver is very funny (drink every time he repeats a joke in a louder tone after he just said it), main reason I watch the show is because he tends to highlight issues that you don't see highlighted anywhere else. But I often get kind of a nihilistic "everything is hosed and there's nothing you can do about it, I'm just telling you how things are" tone from his stories, which isn't always super enlightening, and definitely crosses into being too preachy even if I agree with him.

Either way I'm glad he's only doing one show a week, I don't think I could stomach more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The shorter segments at the start of the episode were still on point but yeah, once they started the main report the jokes were just brutally forced

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't understand the hate, he brings genuine attention to some subjects that are usually about people quietly getting scammed or hosed over.

I wouldn't know of the plight of the american chicken farmer without him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Think it's more that the novelty's worn off and less that anything's wrong/broken. The main difference I see between his segments now and at the start are fewer social media calls to action. That does highlight a point that he needs people to play off of every now and again to break the monotony. More interviews, more interaction with the public (like Church of Perpetual Exemption) and more slapfights with FIFA officials wouldn't hurt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Anals of History posted:

Think it's more that the novelty's worn off and less that anything's wrong/broken. The main difference I see between his segments now and at the start are fewer social media calls to action. That does highlight a point that he needs people to play off of every now and again to break the monotony. More interviews, more interaction with the public (like Church of Perpetual Exemption) and more slapfights with FIFA officials wouldn't hurt.

The church was just a couple of weeks ago. You are acting like that was from last season.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The church was just a couple of weeks ago. You are acting like that was from last season.

I'm saying that the Church is the only example I can think of for this season w/r/t Oliver interacting with more people, and that I'd like to see more of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't understand the hate, he brings genuine attention to some subjects that are usually about people quietly getting scammed or hosed over.

I wouldn't know of the plight of the american chicken farmer without him.

The long segments have been getting less funny and more righteous anger-y which makes them drag, especially if you're already aware of the problem (I usually am). I find myself kind of wishing they'd hurry up and finish which isn't good. I'm not jumping on the "show is bad now" wagon but I do think the long segments are getting weak.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think it's because they can only try to make jokes about horrible things so long before it becomes anger-y.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I want Peebles to be a real thing so bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That bit he did on Russia was weird. It's pretty obvious why Russia would step into Syria to fight ISIS. The entire western world has been desperately scrabbling for an angle for confronting ISIS, and Russia has been staunchly allied with Syria for a long while now. Assad was Russia's boy in the middle east, just like how Saudi Arabia is for the US and how Iran was for the UK before the Shah was ousted. Russia's been sending weapons to Assad for years before this point, they might as well get militarily involved against the one target who everyone else in the international committee would be fine with killing.

And the thing is, John Oliver should know that, because I'm pretty sure it's been covered by the Bugle before, as well as the Daily Show. He's just willfully choosing to believe one idiot newsman's take on things for the purpose of a stupid bit.

Besides, bombing barely even counts as a military commitment. The US bombs pretty much everyone, and there's not a lot of fuss about that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I still super like the show and think the parts where it gets preachy are the best, when most shows don't have the balls to have an opinion. Him straight up calling out the Huckabees of the world for the "blah blah mental health" bullshit was pretty cathartic.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That bit he did on Russia was weird. It's pretty obvious why Russia would step into Syria to fight ISIS. The entire western world has been desperately scrabbling for an angle for confronting ISIS, and Russia has been staunchly allied with Syria for a long while now. Assad was Russia's boy in the middle east, just like how Saudi Arabia is for the US and how Iran was for the UK before the Shah was ousted. Russia's been sending weapons to Assad for years before this point, they might as well get militarily involved against the one target who everyone else in the international committee would be fine with killing.

And the thing is, John Oliver should know that, because I'm pretty sure it's been covered by the Bugle before, as well as the Daily Show. He's just willfully choosing to believe one idiot newsman's take on things for the purpose of a stupid bit.

Besides, bombing barely even counts as a military commitment. The US bombs pretty much everyone, and there's not a lot of fuss about that.

Russia immediately went and started bombing the FSA (and ignoring ISIS), claiming that everyone who's against Assad is ISIS, thus adding to the entire clusterfuck.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Scorchy posted:

Russia immediately went and started bombing the FSA (and ignoring ISIS), claiming that everyone who's against Assad is ISIS, thus adding to the entire clusterfuck.

At a certain point, though, supporting the FSA strengthens ISIS by weakening Assad, who is/was the only force keeping ISIS in check. Bush said we need to spread Democracy in the middle east. Obama said the Arab Spring was a popular democratic movement that would bring a new age of enlightenment to the middle east. Both attempts (the violent and the peaceful) to bring some semblence of western political values to the middle east has failed, its time to let Putin and Assad set right what we broke.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
"Greek yogurt tastes like the ice cream they'd make in a town where dancing is illegal.."

Yes. Yes it does.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

That bit he did on Russia was weird. It's pretty obvious why Russia would step into Syria to fight ISIS.

Aren't these reasons exactly what he said in the episode?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I like the bits where he compares something to a person doing something and then berates the imaginary person in the corner of the screen doing the thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MizPiz posted:

I want Peebles to be a real thing so bad.

Same.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it was very good. he poked him pretty well in the interview, and had to calm the audience down at one point

"He's our guest. Please don't boo him."

:allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

Russia hasn't attacked ISIS yet, not even once. All they are doing is bombing FSA targets in support of Assad. They don't give a flying gently caress about ISIS.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
It seems like I am becoming more and more the minority of people that like the direction the show is going and enjoy the long bits which do come off a bit preachy. But this is some very important poo poo that no other show is really touching on. The whole issue with mental illness in the US has been a massive clusterfuck for the past 50 years; including the stigma involved with people being mentally ill. I know a shitload about how hosed up our mental health care in this country is, but it is nice that the point is driven home by a show like this; especially at the end when he yells at politicians to actually do something about it, in a very, very serious way. This show doesn't have to be funny 100% of the time to be poignant and meaningful. Still the best loving news show on TV.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You're not the only one. This show is great and I haven't seen any sort of decline.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I still love it just as much. Some people might complain about his viewers 'only getting news from a comedy show', but week after week, whatever he talks about is a trending topic on Facebook.

Awareness is good, no matter where it comes from.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I still love it just as much. Some people might complain about his viewers 'only getting news from a comedy show', but week after week, whatever he talks about is a trending topic on Facebook.

Awareness is good, no matter where it comes from.

That's true, but I don't live under a rock so I don't need John Oliver to tell me about things I'm already outraged about. You can't blame me for wanting the comedy part to at least get equal billing. Throw some jokes into the preachy part like they used to, that's all. Like couldn't we get Jeff the Diseased Brain buying a shitload of guns or something?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The comedy has always been an afterthought in this show, and I think it's fine that way. I mean, it's great that you're well informed, probably a lot of us that hang out online all day are, but I'll bet most of John's audience isn't as well read and it's good that he performs his service this way. And even if it's not consistently ha-ha funny, I still find every week entertaining enough, even on the ones where he's outraged by something I already know about.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I don't understand how people can say he ignores the comedy. What people find funny may vary, but he spend significant time every week doing a sketch, plus the interstitial 'and now this' vignettes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Okay, I just caught up on this week's episode and I don't know what some of you guys are on about. The first half was on point and pretty loving funny and lends credence to the idea that condensing a week of Daily Show material into 12 minutes it totally worth it. If you don't like the format of half jakes, half you-should-be-paying-attention-to-this, I don't know what to tell you.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

It seems like I am becoming more and more the minority of people that like the direction the show is going and enjoy the long bits which do come off a bit preachy. But this is some very important poo poo that no other show is really touching on. The whole issue with mental illness in the US has been a massive clusterfuck for the past 50 years; including the stigma involved with people being mentally ill. I know a shitload about how hosed up our mental health care in this country is, but it is nice that the point is driven home by a show like this; especially at the end when he yells at politicians to actually do something about it, in a very, very serious way. This show doesn't have to be funny 100% of the time to be poignant and meaningful. Still the best loving news show on TV.

The show is great, gently caress these haters brah.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is it harder to come up with a mental illness than to come out gay?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Veskit posted:

Is it harder to come up with a mental illness than to come out gay?

More people will accept you now if you are gay than if you are mentally ill. Seriously, it is loving sad how many people I know who are stigmatized by admitting mental illness. That's why poo poo like this needs to be reported, even on a comedy show.

Having shared this last week's bit with people on Facebook I was surprised how few people realized how crappy it was. Most of the poo poo he talks about I already know but drat if I don't get a dozen people talking about "holy poo poo, did you see what they did on John Oliver's show? How has that not been big news?"

America needs this show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

More people will accept you now if you are gay than if you are mentally ill.

Joke's on you that's the same thing!

I think the show doesn't work quite as well if you're well familiar with the stuff he's talking about. John makes a big deal out of something and I just go "yeah this seriously sucks. I was pissed off over this weeks ago".

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mavric posted:

The show is great, gently caress these haters brah.

No, actually it's just like seth macfarlane's family guy now

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Krowley posted:

No, actually it's just like seth macfarlane's family guy now

Feel free to stop watching and making GBS threads up the thread then.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
John Oliver hasn't made "ironic" Asian racist jokes or railed against the scary PC police so it's not Family Guy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

You'll get a contingent of people in any given TVIV thread that eventually turn on the show in question, that doesn't necessarily mean that their opinions hold any merit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Theres always a group of people who think a show is awful, but then watch it every week so they can come here and tell us how awful it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SpookyLizard posted:

Theres always a group of people who think a show is awful, but then watch it every week so they can come here and tell us how awful it is.

To be fair, that was me with Sons of Anarchy and Dexter, only because their respective threads made everything better.

LWT doesn't deserve that, though; it's not even in the same league as that poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

You'll get a contingent of people in any given TVIV thread that eventually turn on the show in question, that doesn't necessarily mean that their opinions hold any merit.

Frequently the shows do turn to poo poo after a couple of seasons, but many posters are suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome and this fails to register with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Frequently the shows do turn to poo poo after a couple of seasons, but many posters are suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome and this fails to register with them.

But this show hasn't hit that point yet.

• Locked thread