Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"WHY CAN'T I PICK UP SOUL HEARTS, I HAVE ZERO HEALTH, gently caress THIS CHARACTER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

death .cab for qt posted:

"WHY CAN'T I PICK UP SOUL HEARTS, I HAVE ZERO HEALTH, gently caress THIS CHARACTER"

Oh, you can pick them up.

You just can't use them.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
There was an update on bindingofisaac.com today but it's just a photo of literal afterbirth, and also the announcement of Ed and Danielle's daughter PJ.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Matching the tattoo.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

IMJack posted:

There was an update on bindingofisaac.com today but it's just a photo of literal afterbirth, and also the announcement of Ed and Danielle's daughter PJ.

Why did he do this. Why.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Because he's Ed McMillan of course he would do that

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Tbh I'm surprised he's not one of the folks who preserves and eats it. He strikes me as a person who'd do that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If you spend your whole life writing about your idol Yogi Berra and drawing pictures of Yogi Berra in various poses and suddenly Yogi Berra comes slithering out of your wife's body, of course you're going to post a picture of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dodecalypse posted:

Tbh I'm surprised he's not one of the folks who preserves and eats it. He strikes me as a person who'd do that

Nah. Tom Cruise did that as some kind of weird scientology thing.

I don't think scientology folks would be interested in creating this game.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Edmund McMillen seems like the kind of person to create a video game making fun of people that do that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I confess, whenever the topic of doing stuff with a placenta comes up in a forums thread, I make a crack about health up and regeneration.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The babby's first picture was her telling everyone to gently caress themselves. Ed must be so proud of his little Lostress. :allears:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Did Edmund McMillen and Danny Baranowsky get into a fight or something? They just rereleased Super Meat Boy on PS4 (free for PS+ members), so I figured, sure, why not, it's been a while. I booted it up only to find that the music has completely changed. I don't mind the new guy's music in Isaac, it's fine there, but it's absolutely horrible in Super Meat Boy compared to the original sound track. Why would they do this?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

BlackFrost posted:

Did Edmund McMillen and Danny Baranowsky get into a fight or something?

Pretty much. Not exactly clear what over, but they haven't worked together for a few years.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BlackFrost posted:

Did Edmund McMillen and Danny Baranowsky get into a fight or something? They just rereleased Super Meat Boy on PS4 (free for PS+ members), so I figured, sure, why not, it's been a while. I booted it up only to find that the music has completely changed. I don't mind the new guy's music in Isaac, it's fine there, but it's absolutely horrible in Super Meat Boy compared to the original sound track. Why would they do this?

Well, apparently,

"Composer Danny Baranowsky holds the rights to Super Meat Boy’s music. He also wrote a blog to explain his tracks omission from the upcoming game, stating that he "no longer [has] a working relationship with Team Meat."

He wrote, “I made a decision a couple years ago to end my working relationship with them for many reasons that don’t really need to be listed here. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause my fans." Notably, Baranowsky also didn’t do the soundtrack for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Baranowsky dismissed rumours that their fractured relationship came about because of creative differences. Instead, he said, “I didn't feel like the license fee and exposure through PSN they offered was enough to make me seriously consider accepting the deal. I decided to decline their offer. I wish them and the new artists the best of luck with the game."

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

cryptoclastic posted:

Pretty much. Not exactly clear what over, but they haven't worked together for a few years.

Apparently it was Danny's decision. I don't know enough about licensing and all that to know why he would decline the offer, but it does partially explain why ridiculon's soundtrack for SMB feels so...rushed.

e: f;b

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's a shame because vanilla Isaac's only positive point over Rebirth is its music.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wow that really sucks, I loved SMB's original music. I didn't mind the new soundtrack in BOI too much, but ugh, SMB's new soundtrack is really lackluster.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wow that really sucks, I loved SMB's original music. I didn't mind the new soundtrack in BOI too much, but ugh, SMB's new soundtrack is really lackluster.

I watched a video of the PS4 version and I was pretty sure it was glitched for the first few seconds, the music sounds like a complete clusterfuck, if they had to make it on short notice it makes way more sense. Sucks that there's such a big split between those guys now.

Isn't there some kind of mod to play Rebirth with the original music?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There is and it works decently well, it won't work as well when afterbirth comes out though, obviously

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

For the curious, here's a song from the new Meat Boy soundtrack,. and this uploader seems to have the rest of them as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhBC4r1zMrY

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Ferroque posted:

Why did he do this. Why.

Well, he did warn us.

quote:

oh also if next monday you just see a post with a picture of a real afterbirth, then you know Danielle and i had our baby ;)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Volt Catfish posted:

Well, apparently,

"Composer Danny Baranowsky holds the rights to Super Meat Boy’s music. He also wrote a blog to explain his tracks omission from the upcoming game, stating that he "no longer [has] a working relationship with Team Meat."

He wrote, “I made a decision a couple years ago to end my working relationship with them for many reasons that don’t really need to be listed here. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause my fans." Notably, Baranowsky also didn’t do the soundtrack for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Baranowsky dismissed rumours that their fractured relationship came about because of creative differences. Instead, he said, “I didn't feel like the license fee and exposure through PSN they offered was enough to make me seriously consider accepting the deal. I decided to decline their offer. I wish them and the new artists the best of luck with the game."

alright, glad he could keep the rights to the music specifically made for a certain videogame because????

wouldn't he still get royalties from sales of the games? it wouldn't harm his future work to have his old work remain in the game right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
He's saying he felt they wouldn't pay him enough considering the exposure so he took his ball and went home. It would be interesting to compare Microsoft's contribution when SMB came out on 360

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Rude posted:

alright, glad he could keep the rights to the music specifically made for a certain videogame because????

wouldn't he still get royalties from sales of the games? it wouldn't harm his future work to have his old work remain in the game right?

I'm pretty sure based off what he's said that he doesn't want to be involved with Team Meat at all anymore to the point he'd rather not get the royalties because it would involve dealing with them.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good interview with Ed: http://upvoted.com/2015/10/03/edmund-mcmillen-binding-of-isaac-profile/

Also cats

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The new SMB music is incredibly disappointing, but thankfully I generally don't have the sound on when playing my Vita anyway

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Changing SMB's music sounds really bad. But I seem to be in the minority thinking that Rebirth's music is far and away better than vanilla Isaac.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

How Rude posted:

Sometimes you have to cut off your nose just to remind your face who's really in charge, I suppose. Maybe he was afraid that future projects he might have been offered to work on would point to his willingness to accept the previous price point and try to get him to agree to work for a similar amount in the future? As an artist, particularly in an industry like video games, I think you sometimes have to consider the long game. By passing on the SMB offer, he basically said, "I value my work at a dollar amount higher than this figure," presumably to show that he wouldn't entertain lowball offers from future clients.

It does seem kind of silly that he'd pass on a paycheck on work that he had already done, but considering the looming threat of a voice actor strike in the games industry on the horizon, it seems like people involved in the artistic side of game development--particularly those who are only contractually employed by the developer--lately feel as though they need to take a stand on the monetary value of their work.

Was it ultimately a good decision? gently caress if I know. It could just as easily make him look like he's hard to work with and cost him a lot of work in the long term, but I guess I respect his decision as an artist to stand his ground.

Lotta words there, huh?

So how about that Afterbirth, huh? Lilith, am I right? That sure is a character.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Changing SMB's music sounds really bad. But I seem to be in the minority thinking that Rebirth's music is far and away better than vanilla Isaac.

My Innermost Apocalypse is the only song I really, really like from the old Isaac. The only two songs I don't like in Rebirth is the Basement theme and Crusade, the normal boss theme. And they're the two most common songs. :/

I hope the Afterbirth soundtrack will replace those two or mix it up a little.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Awww, it's Guppy and Tammy and Cricket.

Who is that other cat though?

EDIT: Read the article. Moxie, huh?

BOIA prediction, Moxie's Head item.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 7, 2015

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

I agree with you. I really dig the direction they took the new music. Ridiculon is really good and all the samples/recordings sound so much cleaner.

Also the guy who made the rebirth music used to be in Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and I like them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Spergminer posted:

My Innermost Apocalypse is the only song I really, really like from the old Isaac.

Yeah, I miss My Innermost Apocalypse too. Not to say the Isaac and ??? track is bad in Rebirth, that one is just better.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Spergminer posted:

My Innermost Apocalypse is the only song I really, really like from the old Isaac. The only two songs I don't like in Rebirth is the Basement theme and Crusade, the normal boss theme. And they're the two most common songs. :/

I hope the Afterbirth soundtrack will replace those two or mix it up a little.

I like both those. The one I didn't like in Rebirth was the ??? boss fight, just felt underwhelming. The basic boss theme is alright but I wouldn't mind some variation myself--maybe certain bosses should have their own theme. Basement I like because of the contrast between that theme and the Cellar's. Basement's sounds like the start of some fun adventure which fits the light difficulty of the area, while Cellar's gives more of a "you are hosed" sort of feeling and sets up a descent to hell.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm a bit rubbish at this game, although I have 100%. I play Eden runs now to see how many in a row I can do before dying (and 10 is about my maximum.) I run Azazel to get tokens, which as we all know is easy mode.

My last Azazel run gave me Godhead and Tiny Planet and it was pretty fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I hadn't played the game in months. First run, this happens.

In the first two rooms of this seed you get Triple Shot and The Mind(from a rerolled Yum Heart).
First devil deal, you get brimstone.
A bit later, after rerolling an item room twice you get Spoon Bender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidwNQ_K3YQ

Game's easy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
LM6W 29D4 (On hard, doing this one as Azazel)

D6 on first treasure room, first boss drops the Halo.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Music update, showing off the new track for the Flooded Caves.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

IMJack posted:

Music update, showing off the new track for the Flooded Caves.

Ok this sounds good. Kinda closer to the flash game's soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Just came into say Rebirth will be FREE for PSN+ owners during the month of November!!! just saved me the cost of ordering it on steam. As I moused over the thread I thought to myself this month was super meat boy what if I got this for free instead.