Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: Oops

Les Affaires posted:

The devil is in the details obviously, but if it's crafted in a way that there's no short or long term net loss to the workers involved then shifting the social aspect of wages and compensation from business to "society" (as in the tax system) could in effect mean we are all subsidising weekend workers rather than just the organisations who operate at those times.
The first issue is making sure it isn't received as a once-a-year thing at tax-time, since that doesn't really help the people who need it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well why shouldn't everyone pitch in to help private businesses make more money? It's only fair. Just like compensating for increased GST through reduced stamp duty. Everyone buys houses, everyone owns a business, and everyone pays GST, so everyone benefits equally.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It's from 2009 hth.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
gently caress you Malcolm Turnbull. I hope the maggots eating away on the middle class run out of food and turn on your kind.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: Oops

The first issue is making sure it isn't received as a once-a-year thing at tax-time, since that doesn't really help the people who need it.

Yeah, the only way it would work (without inordinately loving the poor) is through the PAYE system, tax tables and some adjustments to the information reported by business, such as the number of hours or a percentage of time spent working "unsociable hours", subject to auditing of course.

open24hours posted:

Well why shouldn't everyone pitch in to help private businesses make more money? It's only fair. Just like compensating for increased GST through reduced stamp duty. Everyone buys houses, everyone owns a business, and everyone pays GST, so everyone benefits equally.

In the short term maybe, as businesses adjust, but long term you'd expect margins and profits to return back to where they are now as competition takes over. Those business owners will just find something else to complain about, like the award system or minimum wage.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

In the short term maybe, as businesses adjust, but long term you'd expect margins and profits to return back to where they are now as competition takes over. Those business owners will just find something else to complain about, like the award system or minimum wage.

Of course they will, I'm sure they'll be angling for some other type of tax cut. The people who stand to benefit the most from this kind of thing are companies like Woolworths and Coles and McDonalds who will have managed to shift what is probably many billions of dollars of costs onto the government for absolutely no public benefit whatsoever.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Of course they will, I'm sure they'll be angling for some other type of tax cut. The people who stand to benefit the most from this kind of thing are companies like Woolworths and Coles and McDonalds who will have managed to shift what is probably many billions of dollars of costs onto the government for absolutely no public benefit whatsoever.

Really the only way to justify this is if the expected increase in profit for these companies plus the increased (or unchanged) economic activity from the workers affected results in a comparable tax take because if not, yeah it's pretty counterproductive for the economy.

Crikey today has a piece about penalty rates and how if any changes lead to an overall suppression of wages then that will further dampen the economy because the vast majority of people on penalty rates spend their entire wage and recirculate it back into the economy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Help Government, we keep paying our workers less because we're not as profitable as we want to be, but mysteriously the economy keeps slowing down so every time we cut our workers wages less people are buying our stuff and our profits stay the same! Do something government! WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING US?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
maybe they should go after the penalty rates of FIFO mining workers first.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I also have trouble seeing the government take a big hit to the deficit so they can give money directly to low income earners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

lmao the first print of Campbell Newman's book sold out.

all 2,500 copies nationwide.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Anidav posted:

lmao the first print of Campbell Newman's book sold out.

all 2,500 copies nationwide.

how many of them did campbell buy

can you imagine being one of his relatives, cos they'll all be getting that this christmas

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

2016: Penalty rates cut but workers compensated with lower tax rates
2017: "We need to raise taxes"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I was tempted to buy it just to read his crybaby antics but then I saw the cover and reconsidered.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

gently caress you Malcolm Turnbull. I hope the maggots eating away on the middle class run out of food and turn on your kind.

Do not try and save the middle class. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no middle class.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Latham Diaries sold 55,000
Lazarus Rising sold 110,000
Can Do sold 2,500.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The Latham Diaries sold 55,000
Lazarus Rising sold 110,000
Can Do sold 2,500.

Mein Kampf?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Battlelines ~20,000

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solemn Sloth posted:

Do not try and save the middle class. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no middle class.

Guess that explains why it always seems to bend towards whichever political party is wielding it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Les Affaires posted:

Really the only way to justify this is if the expected increase in profit for these companies plus the increased (or unchanged) economic activity from the workers affected results in a comparable tax take because if not, yeah it's pretty counterproductive for the economy.

Crikey today has a piece about penalty rates and how if any changes lead to an overall suppression of wages then that will further dampen the economy because the vast majority of people on penalty rates spend their entire wage and recirculate it back into the economy.

It's removal by stealth. If they change it to a tax credit situation then down the road they can simply lower or remove it far easier than it is to get legislation through removing them in the first place.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The penalty rate debate: people who get paid for doing nothing on public holidays saying it's unfair that those who have to work get paid extra.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

So apparently a huge majority of people support penalty rates, including coalition voters, which is reassuring:

http://www.essentialvision.com.au/penalty-rates-2

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

freebooter posted:

So apparently a huge majority of people support penalty rates, including coalition voters, which is reassuring:

As much as Shothen is a muppet I hope that the LNP learn that means political suicide to try to take this poo poo to an election. It would be amazing if the fear of God was beaten into them by losing to Ball "Who the gently caress is this guy" Snorflgren.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I was happy to pay $18 for a movie ticket on Sunday because I knew the staff were getting paid a reasonable wage for a public holiday. I'm sure the majority of people feel the same way. Just charge more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where are you getting such cheap tickets :v

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
United Cinemas. I think it's usually ~$15.

BTW definitely check out The Martian - I've read the book and I think they did a good adaptation.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

freebooter posted:

What happens when you start narrowing things down though? Do you think hospitality staff who are required to work on sunday should receive saturday penalty rates rather than their current, slightly higher sunday rates? would get a different response, I'm sure.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Jay walking crackdown in Sydney - just saw 2 cops fine a guy in the CBD for crossing against the light. WTF??

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Yeah they do it periodically. Same with bicycle helmets.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 7, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

V for Vegas posted:

Jay walking crackdown in Sydney - just saw 2 cops fine a guy in the CBD for crossing against the light. WTF??

They do that from time to time. You need to look for cops, then cars, then cross. In that order.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I hate motorbike cops with speed cameras. Shameless pigs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
THE weapon used by teen terrorist Farhad Jabar was believed to be sourced from a Middle Eastern crime gang and police suspect it was handed to the schoolboy at the Parramatta mosque.

Details about where he got the gun and its original source were established early in the investigation but the Telegraph was asked by police not to release details until after today’s raids.

lice believe a known Middle Eastern crime figure passed the .38 Smith and Wesson on to a radical without knowing exactly what it was to be used for.

It’s believed the weapon then ended up in the hands of the 15-year-old at the mosque just hours before he killed Curtis Cheng last Friday afternoon outside Police Headquarters.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In lighter news

Breaking news
Police raid the home of ex-union official Kathy Jackson south of Sydney

SHE DID IT

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah good one Bill

Shorten demands Government help alleged Nauru rape victim seeking abortion

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-07/labor-calls-on-government-to-help-alleged-nauru-rape-victim/6834514

quote:

The Government must stop acting like "robots with no hearts" and allow a pregnant alleged rape victim to come to Australia for medical treatment, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says.
Lawyers acting for the 23-year-old Somali woman say her pregnancy was the result of a "horrific" sexual assault in July and she is trying to reach Australia to get an abortion.
She is not being named in order to protect her identity. Her refugee claim has been processed and she is living outside the detention centre on Nauru.

"Our client has been subjected to a horrific sexual assault," lawyer George Newhouse said.
"She's currently unable to leave her small room, she's extremely scared and vulnerable and she's trying to deal with the fact that she's now pregnant after this vicious assault."

Mr Newhouse has written to the Prime Minister, Immigration Minister, Minister for Women and the secretary of the Immigration Department Mike Pezzullo, calling for the woman to be moved to Australia urgently.

"Firstly, the United Nations say that it's actually illegal to have a termination on Nauru," Mr Newhouse said.
"Secondly, the hospital facilities and medical practitioners are not equipped to perform such a termination on the island."
The woman's case was first raised as part of a 7.30 story last month.

Mr Newhouse said his client is believed to be between 11 and 14 weeks pregnant and is in a "terrible state".

He said she is not eating and has lost 10 kilograms since becoming pregnant.
"It is just cruel and inhumane to leave a woman in this situation," she said.
Even if she is allowed to come to Australia she will most likely have to secure a late-term termination.
Mr Newhouse was a former Labor candidate for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's seat of Wentworth in 2007.

Mr Shorten said he had been in contact with Mr Newhouse and the matter was "black and white".

"Frankly, I'm deeply shocked at reports that a 23-year-old person indirectly in Australia's care in Nauru cannot get medical treatment that they require urgently," Mr Shorten said.
"It's not a matter of governments acting like robots with no hearts.
"If this woman requires medical treatment — I've spoken to her lawyers today, she does — if she's gone without medical treatment for four weeks, she should get the medical treatment in Australia. Anything else is a travesty of justice."

The Prime Minister and Immigration Minister have been contacted for comment.
Greens immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young has also raised concern about the woman, and said she must be urgently transferred to Australia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The mother of an Iranian asylum seeker allegedly gang-raped on Nauru has tried to kill herself, having been told she cannot see her unwell daughter.

The mother, Farrah, has been placed in isolation under 24-hour watch since the suicide attempt on Saturday, her fourth. That also means she is separated from her son, who is held in another part of the detention centre.

loving christ end this lovely country

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
....four suicide attempts....

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Woah.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

hooman posted:

....four suicide attempts....

One was while she was in an interview with staff, she's just doing this for attention.

Or we should burn everyone involved in bringing this situation into existence to the ground.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Shorten demands Government help alleged Nauru rape victim seeking abortion

The Government must stop acting like "robots with no hearts" and allow a pregnant alleged rape victim to come to Australia for medical treatment, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says.
Lawyers acting for the 23-year-old Somali woman say her pregnancy was the result of a "horrific" sexual assault in July and she is trying to reach Australia to get an abortion.

But the government promised more medical referrals for asylum seekers on Nauru this week. How.. how could this be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

BBJoey posted:

well golly gee what possibly could have caused this boy to become radicalised, who knows

So our intelligence agencies doing their job by trying to identify and nip radicalisation in the bud are to blame.

I guess they should just quit then and let it all slide eh?

• Locked thread