Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Well, most people realize that I'm not claiming that Zoe Quinn murdered someone in JonTron's familly and that I'm saying that there's been beef between them in a humorlessly exaggerated way. :)

Also, Total Buscuit is good to watch if you want a 45 minute long recommended specifications list for a certain game because that's the only thing he actually knows anything about. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Asuron posted:

Goons misrepresenting or lying about what TB says happens way, way too much. I mean it's not isolated to just him, it seems to happen to anyone semi-famous but it's so dumb when someone can easily call it out and goons in particular love to do it about TB just because of a silly post he stated he really regrets that was 9? years ago. Even in this thread we have an example with it happening multiple times on Doug or Jontron.

TB started up a curation group on Steam called FPS police where pretty much they post on the store page is a game cannot get 60fps. He then proceeded to show no clue about how games actually worked because he would do stuff like point out that GTA San Andreas wasn't 60fps when nobody would even care if San Andreas was 60 fps or not because it's 11 loving years old now. And then his retard fans would go onto steam forums for games and complain about them not running at 60FPS along with tanking a games reviews if they'd bought them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

TB started up a curation group on Steam called FPS police where pretty much they post on the store page is a game cannot get 60fps. He then proceeded to show no clue about how games actually worked because he would do stuff like point out that GTA San Andreas wasn't 60fps when nobody would even care if San Andreas was 60 fps or not because it's 11 loving years old now. And then his retard fans would go onto steam forums for games and complain about them not running at 60FPS along with tanking a games reviews if they'd bought them.

Er, the Framerate Police idea was a dumb idea, but the entire point of the curator page was just that it was a robotic badge that added any game that was reported as not hitting 60FPS. There's absolutely no thought into the items put in there by design. He/his staff literally adds every single game that's posted as a comment on the curator page. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was run by a script somehow. I don't agree with abusing the curator system like that, and his reason was pretty tortured. It was effectively: "the curator system is broken, dumb, and not useful. Let's try and do something useful with it." But don't take anything on that curator page as Total Biscuit personally condemning a game, even if he is eye-rollingly anal about 60FPS in his reviews.

Fans (as an amorphous blob) are always dumb, though, you can't really pin the review bombs on him.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Anyone who reads Steams review system has nobody to blame for what happens but themselves.

I dislike TB because he can't edit for poo poo and throws out thirty minute videos that have no reason to be even ten minutes long. The sheer lack of effort put into them is a huge turn off.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Fans posted:

Anyone who reads Steams review system has nobody to blame for what happens but themselves.

I dislike TB because he can't edit for poo poo and throws out thirty minute videos that have no reason to be even ten minutes long. The sheer lack of effort put into them is a huge turn off.

Yeah, his videos really, really ramble on. I kind of like WTF Is when I was already considering a game, but they could stand to be 80% shorter most of the time. He's also dumb because he criticizes, like, 2D indie platformers for not having enough options in their options menu for his highness. I swear if I sent him a review copy of a game I'd throw a bunch of placebo buttons in there just to see if he noticed.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jsor posted:

Yeah, his videos really, really ramble on. I kind of like WTF Is when I was already considering a game, but they could stand to be 80% shorter most of the time. He's also dumb because he criticizes, like, 2D indie platformers for not having enough options in their options menu for his highness. I swear if I sent him a review copy of a game I'd throw a bunch of placebo buttons in there just to see if he noticed.

I once wondered if TB would get upset if you had the option in a game to lock the framerate at 24fps, as well as 30fps and 60fps. Call it "Cinematic Mode" or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is the reason I don't give a poo poo about framerate. I'm the heathen who is satisfied with a steady 24fps that occasionally dips below 20.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is the reason I don't give a poo poo about framerate. I'm the heathen who is satisfied with a steady 24fps that occasionally dips below 20.

Congratulations on being blind I guess.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Andrast posted:

Congratulations on being blind I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Asuron posted:

Goons misrepresenting or lying about what TB says happens way, way too much. I mean it's not isolated to just him, it seems to happen to anyone semi-famous but it's so dumb when someone can easily call it out and goons in particular love to do it about TB just because of a silly post he stated he really regrets that was 9? years ago. Even in this thread we have an example with it happening multiple times on Doug or Jontron.

Like this statement for example. Vendetta against Zoe Quinn? When he was asked about her, all he said was that his experience with her at the Game Jam thing was unpleasant and that's all he would say about it. I guess I just don't understand the point in saying silly lies like that.

thanks total biscuit, you're still a weird goony piece of poo poo though

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

He still wholeheartedly supports GG so, uh gently caress him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I will never understand how human beings give a poo poo about non-dodgy framerates.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's like people suddenly turn into Ulillillia.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I will never understand how human beings give a poo poo about non-dodgy framerates.

Pretty much. 30 as long as it always maintains 30 is fine with me, 60 is fine too, as long as the game runs and plays fine with it's set then whatever. Plus the obsession with 60 weirds some stuff out, like when people forced the original Dark Souls on PC to 60, it made a lot of stuff look really dodgy compared to the 30 they intended the animations and stuff to be at.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

It's like people suddenly turn into Ulillillia.

There's a little Ulillillia in all of us

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much. 30 as long as it always maintains 30 is fine with me, 60 is fine too, as long as the game runs and plays fine with it's set then whatever. Plus the obsession with 60 weirds some stuff out, like when people forced the original Dark Souls on PC to 60, it made a lot of stuff look really dodgy compared to the 30 they intended the animations and stuff to be at.

60 FPS is objectively better, for a bunch of reasons, but they only really apply to action games, because our eyes can notice the difference. If Civ 5 wants to run at 13 FPS your experience isn't going to suffer greatly.

Issues like the physics calculations being off is a result of lazy programming leading into a bad port. Dark Souls was a real bad port.

You get diminishing returns as you go higher, though, and 60 might not be the "correct" framerate, but it's what we use for now.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Dark souls at 60 FPS is still looks and feels so much better than at 30 FPS so I can forgive some stuff being a bit dodgy.

senae posted:

60 FPS is objectively better, for a bunch of reasons, but they only really apply to action games, because our eyes can notice the difference. If Civ 5 wants to run at 13 FPS your experience isn't going to suffer greatly.

Well, 13 FPS is probably a bad example because if it's that low, even simple things like moving the camera will look and feel like poo poo. Your overall point is absolutely true though. Nobody should really care if their Civ 5 runs at 30 or 60.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 7, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

60FPS is one of those things where you don't think you need it until you have it, at which point you can't understand how you ever lived without it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DStecks posted:

60FPS is one of those things where you don't think you need it until you have it, at which point you can't understand how you ever lived without it.

Well I recently got a new computer that can play most of my games at 60FPS and I still don't really care. It's a nice thing to have but it isn't a make or break if I drop a little.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Also it looks kind of gross.

There are probably things it's useful for, but my honest untrained reaction is that it's weird and offputting.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I rather like higher framerate in online games like wow or tf2. Where reaction timing is everything. I don't care that mush for it in single player game.

That perfect dark port for xbox 360 made me sick by looking at it due to it high frame rate

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ill take VSync over 60 fps any day. Screen tearing is for scrubs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

60 FPS is awesome. My eyes had an orgasm the first time they saw Super Mario 3D World being streamed with source resolution

Also it looks kind of gross.

There are probably things it's useful for, but my honest untrained reaction is that it's weird and offputting.

You're just used to lame framerates then

Honestly I'm not one to get mad at devs who don't aim for 60 FPS, budgets are often pretty limited and not everyone has the resources of a AAA company so sometimes it just isn't technically viable, but it really bugs me when they make excuses like "30 is just more cinematic" which are total bullshit and show that they don't understand video games or cinema at all

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JB50 posted:

Ill take VSync over 60 fps any day. Screen tearing is for scrubs.

That's not a choice anyone should have to make. There is no reason to not have both.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

It's basically splitting hairs to keep your clubhouse free of undesirables, because you've built your identity around being A Gamer and if that comes to mean people who play "casual" games then you don't have an intact sense of self and/or exclusive clubhouse anymore.

Tell a hardcore gamer that you consider Gone Home and Depression Quest games. Not if you like them at all or anything else. You'll see blood shoot out of their eyes as they begin to foam at the mouth as they give a speech about why they aren't actually games. It's quite amusing really.

Cyron posted:

I rather like higher framerate in online games like wow or tf2. Where reaction timing is everything. I don't care that mush for it in single player game.

That perfect dark port for xbox 360 made me sick by looking at it due to it high frame rate

I forgot the exact reason for this but I know Duke Nukem and Marathon 2 also made me sick at higher frame rates. Isn't it more about the FOV than anything?

Tracula fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 7, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm finding Yahtzee's schitck to be tired and uninspiring lately. His MGSV review was basically "oh look at that wacky kojima guy and his wackiness".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tracula posted:

Tell a hardcore gamer that you consider Gone Home and Depression Quest games. Not if you like them at all or anything else. You'll see blood shoot out of their eyes as they begin to foam at the mouth as they give a speech about why they aren't actually games. It's quite amusing really.

What is a "hardcore" gamer other than a 14 year old who's probably stupid and angry if video games didn't exist, and probably the type to say any movie with a budget under 30 million isn't a real movie?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tae posted:

What is a "hardcore" gamer other than a 14 year old who's probably stupid and angry if video games didn't exist, and probably the type to say any movie with a budget under 30 million isn't a real movie?

A hardcore gamer is someone who self-identifies as such.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

A hardcore gamer is someone who self-identifies as such.

So a 14 year old who's probably stupid and angry?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Andrast posted:

So a 14 year old who's probably stupid and angry?

If you look at the Gamergate demographic I'd say it's safe to say many of them are older than 14 sadly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

If you look at the Gamergate demographic I'd say it's safe to say many of them are older than 14 sadly.

So a mentally 14 year old who is stupid and angry then?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Alaois posted:

thanks total biscuit, you're still a weird goony piece of poo poo though

:rolleyes:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

So a mentally 14 year old who is stupid and angry then?

Which is exactly why TB tried to string them into changing the industry, specifcally where he'd have most to gain from.

Given that it's an entire year and literally nothing they did changed anything, I'd say it's a safe bet that his was a failed venture.

The Doug Video skits continue to be an effective ego trip as he stands valiantly with his either poorly informed or uncontreversial opinions.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Well, it's the stereotypical contradiction, isn't it? Many of the same people who spent years pushing for recognition of video games as a legitimate art form are probably those who resent the idea that they're now subject to serious critical analyses as such (cf. the response to Anita Sarkessian doing "Introduction to Feminism" level critiques in her videos).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean I guess you could make the argument that emotionally the Hardcore Gamer demo is fourteen, but a substantial chunk of them are past college age.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Puppy Time posted:

I mean I guess you could make the argument that emotionally the Hardcore Gamer demo is fourteen, but a substantial chunk of them are past college age.

There really isn't a argument. They mostly have the frat boy mentality that is childish just in their 20's

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, it's the stereotypical contradiction, isn't it? Many of the same people who spent years pushing for recognition of video games as a legitimate art form are probably those who resent the idea that they're now subject to serious critical analyses as such (cf. the response to Anita Sarkessian doing "Introduction to Feminism" level critiques in her videos).

I'd always assumed that, but apparently a good number of gamergaters legitimately don't want games seen as art. I'm not sure how many of them, and if it's the super hardcore ones or just a sub action, but some of them don't see games as art.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TBH I think the only generalization one can make about gators' beliefs is "mad at feminism in vidya games." Like any other fandom, they've got their weird splinter factions about WHY feminism in vidya games is bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

TBH I think the only generalization one can make about gators' beliefs is "mad at feminism in vidya games." Like any other fandom, they've got their weird splinter factions about WHY feminism in vidya games is bad.

actually, the clearest throughline is more simple than that. it's "women are bad"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when your linking thread is 'feminists are ruining my toys' I don't really think it matters what the branches say along with it.

Like, I'm sure the KKK has different groups that think the blacks are a plague or the Jews are, or Mexicans, but the point is all those dudes think some kind of minority needs to be removed from America and they're probably all trash people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alaois posted:

actually, the clearest throughline is more simple than that. it's "women are bad"

Some of them make an exception for women with internalized misogyny, so I guess I'm OK with giving them that much.

• Locked thread