Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

After finishing MGS1 and 2 almost immediately after playing V, its incredible how well the plot fits together. I genuinely expected it to be awkward and kinda funky but I have to say, very impressed.

I think my favorite random bit of foreshadowing in the earlier games is how in MGS1, Vulcan Raven of all people realizes that Solid Snake has "blood from the east" in his veins.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can finally post here!

So, y'all ever seen the Ralph Bakshi animated Lord of the Rings?

The movie covers a decent amount of Fellowship, briefly touches on Two Towers, and as the orcs are defeated at Helm's Deep the narrator says "and thus ends the tale of the Lord of the Rings", fade to black.

Just thought I'd share. Eat a prize-winning dick Konami.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Raxivace posted:

I think my favorite random bit of foreshadowing in the earlier games is how in MGS1, Vulcan Raven of all people realizes that Solid Snake has "blood from the east" in his veins.

Wasn't his mother originally Japanese and it was retconned to Eva though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Wasn't his mother originally Japanese and it was retconned to Eva though?

It wasn't entirely retconned. The egg used for Snake was from a Japanese doctor but it was carried by Eva.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Random question – how do you get the Puma codename? I swear I've done 3+ missions in a row by holding up the majority of enemies, and I still don't get it. Am I allowed to fulton them when they're on the ground?

Related – what determines if a soldier goes for a knife when you hold him up? I've played missions where almost every single guard fought back.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Related – what determines if a soldier goes for a knife when you hold him up? I've played missions where almost every single guard fought back.

It's one of the readiness boxes, I think the one with the camera. It caps at a 50% chance for a hold-up retaliation, so bad RNG can contribute. Just sweep the legs and hold them up on the ground, they can't knife out of a hold up if they are lying down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same but shotgun to the knee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you don't mind wasting ammo, knockout, kick them awake, and then draw a gun on them.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Random question – how do you get the Puma codename? I swear I've done 3+ missions in a row by holding up the majority of enemies, and I still don't get it. Am I allowed to fulton them when they're on the ground?

It might help to question them all while they're on the ground as well. I know there was a string of missions when I first started playing where I couldn't get anything but Puma and it was because I couldn't help myself; I'd sneak up on everyone, grab them from behind, question them, and then slam them down, relocate them, and then kick them awake so I could hold them up to stop them from doing anything for the rest of the mission.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So the parasites are straight up nanomachines right? Especially how they stop you from saying certain things (it's why nobody can say Patriots in MGS2)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So the parasites are straight up nanomachines right? Especially how they stop you from saying certain things (it's why nobody can say Patriots in MGS2)

They play the exact same role in the story so it would not surprise me if they were intended to be the inspiration (or a direct precursor) to the nanomachines.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like them more because you can make really blunt metaphors with them.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Pretty much. MGSV's language stuff is basically a direct follow on thematically to MGS2's algorithmic/information society. MGS2 suggests that you can shape and recreate people by constructing particular memetic environments; people will internalise constructed norms as the way things are and will have faith in the existence of mythical entities in spite of disproof (mythic in this sense being "the self-made man" or "the dole bludger", not God). MGSV goes one further, if we understand 2 to be about the nature of the content of media and also the mechanisms by which that media is produced, then V can be understood as a sort of "the medium is the message" sort of thing. The parasite stuff in V treats language as a medium that can be scrutanised, that is inherently political and ideological. That language is constructed and can be reconstructed for particular purpose. It borrows from "Sapir/Whorf" with the idea that all thought is mediated by language and thus that restriction of language necessarily reshapes thoughts (Skullface says as much).

As for in a literal "series chronology/canon" (I'm not too fond of such things but some are), I believe there is a tape that says that the parasites are something of a research dead end, and that nanomachines get developed independent from them. But for the role they play in their respective game's narratives, they are essentially the same.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hahahaha I am so happy to be on the PC version after seeing how this FOB update completely fucks up all of your resources. There's zero control over what resources are and aren't on your FOB, you can't even sell of vehicles that are on your FOB (what's even the point of having them there?!) gently caress, none of it makes any sense at all, really. My poor console friends are freaking out right now because they weren't done playing the game and now they can't even sell off the stuff they've been gathering specifically to give hot GMP injections as necessary.

Like, seriously, it's a clusterfuck of nonsense. I'll have to test tomorrow to see if grabbing a turret from someone's FOB actually does something now instead of just waste cash. It probably goes into your global inventory but then... does... nothing at all. Like, what even the gently caress is this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah Bro posted:

Pretty much. MGSV's language stuff is basically a direct follow on thematically to MGS2's algorithmic/information society. MGS2 suggests that you can shape and recreate people by constructing particular memetic environments; people will internalise constructed norms as the way things are and will have faith in the existence of mythical entities in spite of disproof (mythic in this sense being "the self-made man" or "the dole bludger", not God). MGSV goes one further, if we understand 2 to be about the nature of the content of media and also the mechanisms by which that media is produced, then V can be understood as a sort of "the medium is the message" sort of thing. The parasite stuff in V treats language as a medium that can be scrutanised, that is inherently political and ideological. That language is constructed and can be reconstructed for particular purpose. It borrows from "Sapir/Whorf" with the idea that all thought is mediated by language and thus that restriction of language necessarily reshapes thoughts (Skullface says as much).

As for in a literal "series chronology/canon" (I'm not too fond of such things but some are), I believe there is a tape that says that the parasites are something of a research dead end, and that nanomachines get developed independent from them. But for the role they play in their respective game's narratives, they are essentially the same.

I just read a study the other day on how people who speak multiple languages literally have different mental personalities for each language. It can even be applied to code switching in the same language like how minorities within their community will have different ways of speaking to someone outside the community in the same language. It's not necessarily that we are bilingual in this case but more that we are bicultural, and you tend to only use one language with a certain culture.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/11/multilingualism

Interesting stuff anyway

Edit: Actually it DIRECTLY links to something someone said in the non spoiler thread. "Why can't you just stop speaking Kikongo and get on with it"

quote:

Speaking Spanish rather than English, for a bilingual and bicultural Puerto Rican in New York, might conjure feelings of family and home. Switching to English might prime the same person to think of school and work.

Language has so much attached to it that forcing someone to give one up is like forcing them to give up an aspect of themselves. They probably could've gone a bit deeper into it honestly

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 7, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As someone who can't speak their mother tongue, Skull Faces plan did have some appeal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just read a study the other day on how people who speak multiple languages literally have different mental personalities for each language. It can even be applied to code switching in the same language like how minorities within their community will have different ways of speaking to someone outside the community in the same language. It's not necessarily that we are bilingual in this case but more that we are bicultural, and you tend to only use one language with a certain culture.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/11/multilingualism

my smooth buddy's girlfriend is studying exactly this for her PhD. She's German but lives here in Scotland - when she goes home to visit, she dreams in German and finds herself more relaxed, when she's here she dreams in English and finds it harder to switch off from work/studying even when she's on a break. It's really interesting stuff but I guess is getting a bit outside the scope of the anime supersoldier game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's what Code talker and Skull Face both talk about though. It's very much in the scope of the game.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my smooth buddy's girlfriend is studying exactly this for her PhD. She's German but lives here in Scotland - when she goes home to visit, she dreams in German and finds herself more relaxed, when she's here she dreams in English and finds it harder to switch off from work/studying even when she's on a break. It's really interesting stuff but I guess is getting a bit outside the scope of the anime supersoldier game

Eh that might have more to do with your personal experience with the language that was being spoken at the time of particular experiences, especially when growing up.

Like you speak Polish at home and have a happy home life, but speak English at school and get bullied for being Polish. You are going to associate Polish with nice feelings and English with bad ones.

Linguistic relativity is supposed to be entirely objective. For reference Ian Banks was big advocate for it, his Culture language Marain was constructed to safeguard the happiness of it's citizens.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Collateral posted:

Eh that might have more to do with your personal experience with the language that was being spoken at the time of particular experiences, especially when growing up.

Like you speak Polish at home and have a happy home life, but speak English at school and get bullied for being Polish. You are going to associate Polish with nice feelings and English with bad ones.

Linguistic relativity is supposed to be entirely objective. For reference Ian Banks was big advocate for it, his Culture language Marain was constructed to safeguard the happiness of it's citizens.

But I think that is the point. Your mother tongue is most likely what your parents raised you with and may be what you feel the most comfortable speaking. Usually when learning another language, it is going to be out of necessity for transactions/work.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
its why i'm a giant nerd when I speak Japanese

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

EngineerSean posted:

its why i'm a giant nerd when I speak Japanese

I have some bad news about your English.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

There have been multiple studies (sociolinguistics) on how language is associated with identity, which I thought the game was going to be about from the trailers.

I also thought the trailers were hinting that Big Boss would be hallucinating due to the horn.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean that second part is literally true, just not a whole lot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Yeah Bro posted:

It's one of the readiness boxes, I think the one with the camera. It caps at a 50% chance for a hold-up retaliation, so bad RNG can contribute. Just sweep the legs and hold them up on the ground, they can't knife out of a hold up if they are lying down.
This is all correct information (it goes from 100% to 80% to 50% in stages and is based on Stealth readiness which is the camera icon), but a few people have discovered other means to hold someone up reliably. As noted guys on the ground will never fake a surrender so CQC throws and kicking them awake or a prone leg sweep into a holdup both work, however both of these will break the No Traces bonus (where holding up does not) so be aware of that if you're going for it.

The only other way I've seen described is prenatual's observation that enemies fascinated with titty/anime box posters can apparently be held up at perfect success rates. To do this without losing the box and breaking No Traces (you can crawl out of a box and hold up anyone affected by it but that breaks it), he describes a method where you use the standing poster, attract guys over, then very quickly drop the box to its standard crouching position and immediately pop out of the box with the aim button and hold the guys up like a jack-in-the-box. Pushing the box open while standing appears to surprise them and trigger Reflex/Alerts. I'm not positive of how the method works but he says it leads to 100% holdups even with max Stealth readiness.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I have heard, but have not confirmed, that you can dive into enemies without breaking No Traces. If that's true, that's a way to deal with tough guys.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

In It For The Tank posted:

I have heard, but have not confirmed, that you can dive into enemies without breaking No Traces. If that's true, that's a way to deal with tough guys.
Oh poo poo, yes that's a way I forgot and indeed will not break it. There are some complications though, as certain enemies can be tripped but not knocked down by a dive (riot armor guys in particular are immune to dives). The general point is it's probably a bad idea to rely on holdups during No Traces runs because too much can go wrong, but if you absolutely have to do it there's a way.

A run of a mission where you acquire No Traces and neutralize every enemy on the map with a holdup would be funny, however, and probably still earn an S rank no matter how long it took because of the bonus points totaling >130k in most cases.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Snak posted:

I mean that second part is literally true, just not a whole lot.

Well, Venom sees the reverse faces in his reflection in the hospital bed the first time around, he then sees his old face in reflective surfaces like in the ACC at night, sees Skull Face after his death and sees Paz at least 10 times. That would be a lot of hallucinations if they weren't spread through 50-100 hours of game.

From the way Psycho Mantis hangs around in scenes unnoticed, like next to Eli in the chopper, I think Mantis is able to hide himself in plain view. Snake spots him more often than other people because his brain is all hosed up.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 7, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

Well, Venom sees the reverse faces in his reflection in the hospital bed the first time around, he then sees his old face in reflective surfaces like in the ACC at night, sees Skull Face after his death and sees Paz at least 10 times. That would be a lot of hallucinations if they weren't spread through 50-100 hours of game.

From the way Psycho Mantis hangs around in scenes unnoticed, like next to Eli in the chopper, I think Mantis is able to hide himself in plain view. Snake spots him more often than other people because his brain is all hosed up.

Mantis seems to able to project himself to people psychically. He's not even really corporeal, as he floats through floors and ceilings. It's surprising you can shoot him.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

When holding people up I usually do a quick check to see if the box to lie down appears. If not I just assume they are gonna try to knife me and I grab them. Haven't really bothered with no trace runs or doing any real testing on this method though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can also lightly bump people to "reset" whether or not they will attempt to attack you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

When holding people up I usually do a quick check to see if the box to lie down appears. If not I just assume they are gonna try to knife me and I grab them. Haven't really bothered with no trace runs or doing any real testing on this method though.
It's even easier than that, if your reticle stays red they're going to attack.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You can also lightly bump people to "reset" whether or not they will attempt to attack you.
That's interesting. So hold them up, if you see the red triangle run into them so they do the recoil animation, hold them up again?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Nakar posted:

That's interesting. So hold them up, if you see the red triangle run into them so they do the recoil animation, hold them up again?

I think they mean this'll just reset the timer on them turning around and attacking you. Gives you time to think of a different strategy other than hold-up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

I think they mean this'll just reset the timer on them turning around and attacking you. Gives you time to think of a different strategy other than hold-up.
no, it resets them completely, so they might not attack at all

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

no, it resets them completely, so they might not attack at all

Just like real life.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nakar posted:

Yes.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Colapops posted:

It might help to question them all while they're on the ground as well. I know there was a string of missions when I first started playing where I couldn't get anything but Puma and it was because I couldn't help myself; I'd sneak up on everyone, grab them from behind, question them, and then slam them down, relocate them, and then kick them awake so I could hold them up to stop them from doing anything for the rest of the mission.

This worked, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In an alternate universe, Quiet finds a cure for her parasite and becomes a personal trainer.

Calories...

I want to burn them for you...

• Locked thread