Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finally finished Sense8. It paints in broad strokes but is definitely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

Actually they're both really bad shows.
You own a fine collection of antique bad opinions but this is centered on your matle

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Everything you like sucks.

Yes, you.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

Everything you like sucks.

Yes, you.

Everything sucks and is bad and we should all stop watching bad sucky things.

AoS is legit fun television even if it's not gonna win any technical or acting awards (maybe with the exception of Iain De Caestecker)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrawn527 posted:

At least half of the cities from The Layover were not American, and it was great fun, if nowhere near as comprehensive or "good" as Parts Unknown or No Reservations.

I just liked watching Bourdain get drunk with his friends.

It felt to me like a watered down version of that show Dave Attell used to have on Comedy Central.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You own a fine collection of antique bad opinions but this is centered on your matle

If you like watching people who can't act their way out of a paper bag shoot low-budget CG out of their hands for 42 minutes at a time, that's your prerogative, just own the fact that you're watching poo poo.
I enjoy plenty of lovely shows. I'm not going to defend the fact that they're lovely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

It felt to me like a watered down version of that show Dave Attell used to have on Comedy Central.

Well you're just the negativest nancy today aren't you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Well you're just the negativest nancy today aren't you.

Mostly I just miss Dave Attell's show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

If you like watching people who can't act their way out of a paper bag shoot low-budget CG out of their hands for 42 minutes at a time, that's your prerogative, just own the fact that you're watching poo poo.
I enjoy plenty of lovely shows. I'm not going to defend the fact that they're lovely.
Actually the CG is passable for TV but maybe it could be rebooted as a bad standup misanthrope walking around new york shot on flipcams and audience cellphones? gently caress that would own so hard we NEED another one of those

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So, obviously Minority Report is a Dead-Show-Airing (dropped to a .7 on Monday) and I haven't watched any of it because it looked awful (and apparently is).

But apparently they have a panel at New York Comic Con this weekend, and I really hope someone records it. What if FOX cancels it before then? And even if they don't, everyone is going to know the show is dead. That's going to be one seriously awkward panel and I want to see every moment of it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The really sad part about Minority Report getting canceled is that the Network will likely blame it on lack of interest in the genre rather than the format.

More crappy procedurals in 2016!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^^^ Well it IS kind of a crappy procedural. Sad thing is they tried it with Almost Human too except that was actually elevated by two really fantastic leads.

ComposerGuy posted:

So, obviously Minority Report is a Dead-Show-Airing (dropped to a .7 on Monday) and I haven't watched any of it because it looked awful (and apparently is).

It's not good or bad, just kind of there. I got bored enough through the second episode to turn it off, since it's going to get canned anyway why bother? I have plenty of other stuff waiting.

Peak tv is upon us!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

raditts posted:

Insomniac was loving great and I loved watching it in the wee hours of the night/morning when nothing else was on.

It also had the best theme song.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The really sad part about Minority Report getting canceled is that the Network will likely blame it on lack of interest in the genre rather than the format.

Fox probably greenlights more genre shows than anyone except maybe the CW.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tuxedo Jack posted:

People said the same thing about Almost Human but a year later they made another crappy procedural with sci-fi window dressing that people inexplicably clung to.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Everyone shits on procedurals but the other ones that launched this year aren't doing too bad ratings wise plus they are infinitely more interesting than Minority Report.

Even The Mysteries of Laura is a better cop show than Minority Report. Minority Report is at its core a really lovely cop show and the sci-fi is 99% window dressing and the two leads aren't even fun to watch. In fact the only good actor on that show might be Nick Zano and maybe the sister precog (Harry Crane's wife). But definitely not the leads.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Actually the CG is passable for TV but maybe it could be rebooted as a bad standup misanthrope walking around new york shot on flipcams and audience cellphones? gently caress that would own so hard we NEED another one of those

I'm sorry that you are mad that I don't like the same superhero TV shows that you do

Sleeveless posted:

People said the same thing about Almost Human but a year later they made another crappy procedural with sci-fi window dressing that people inexplicably clung to.

What was the other one? The only popular sci-fi-ish procedural I can think of off the top of my head is Person of Interest, and that predates Almost Human by 2 years.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

I'm sorry that you are mad that I don't like the same superhero TV shows that you do

All I wanted to hear. If we're dreaming about late night comedian shows I would donate really vital organs if it meant giving Norton a show where he just walks around Las Vegas and other shady hooker cities striking up conversations with weirdos.

:smith: Also Patrice's ghost follows him around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

The one where he got drunk in a random city every episode? poo poo, I forgot how fun that was.

I would perform ancient blood magic to somehow combine that show with Jon Benjamin Has a Van.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Insomniac was loving great and I loved watching it in the wee hours of the night/morning when nothing else was on.

It also had the best theme song.

The Insomniac theme was a ripoff of Tom Waits' "Singapore," but it worked for capturing the spirit of the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

And the Grinder turns in an absolute ace for its sophomore showing.

Grinder rests.

It's absurd. Too absurd for its own good. The notion that a somewhat dim big-deal TV actor can move back to home and slip into his family's law practice is idiotic and impossible to sustain.

...but what if it wasn't?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It IS a crappy procedural though, isn't it? the thing is, Fox probably SHOULDN'T be doing big budget sci-fi shows. It's not their thing. Leave it to cable networks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I snarkily posted it won't get six episodes so I hope it gets cancelled before then so I look smart as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No one will ever think you're smart as hell.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Fox gave Bob's Burgers a two season renewal for God knows what reason. Good for fans of that show, I guess?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

Fox gave Bob's Burgers a two season renewal for God knows what reason. Good for fans of that show, I guess?

The reason is that it's a great show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hcreight posted:

I don't understand the tone of this post

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
That's actually surprising because I think the last FOX show that got a two season renewal was Glee.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

smg77 posted:

That's actually surprising because I think the last FOX show that got a two season renewal was Glee.

Which is why it's kind of baffling that they'd do it again. My response had nothing to do with the show's quality. Multi-season renewals for anything but bonafide hit shows are super dumb. Maybe the show costs nothing to make?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's also kind of strange because it's in the gently caress You, Football's on timeslot they buried Futurama with.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I guess you could make the comparison to King of the Hill, which didn't get great ratings after the first couple seasons but stuck around and spent most of its run in the pre-empted by football timeslots.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

It's also kind of strange because it's in the gently caress You, Football's on timeslot they buried Futurama with.

The timeslots run differently now. There's enough buffer with all the postgame stuff that 7:30 is rarely preempted for football. Honestly, the only times I can think of in recent memory when it was preempted, it was due to NASCAR.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Futurama had it worse, didn't it? Unless I'm mis--remembering, they put that on at 7.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

IRQ posted:

Less strange if you consider that a two season commitment in that time slot is about 12 episodes.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

FXX is not only a bad name, but was also a bad idea in general.

I kind of liked the idea to be honest. FX would have the serious/drama stuff and FXX could have the comedies and more experimental stuff. Kind of like BBC 2,3,4 etc.

I was excited for it initially because I thought it meant shows like Legit would get to stay around for longer. How I was wrong.

raditts posted:

See also: The Esquire Channel, which is only good for Ninja Warrior reruns.

I really liked Friday Night Tykes. It seems I was the only one though, because I couldn't even find :filez: for the last two episodes and tracking down episodes of Season 2 is even harder. (I don't have access to Esquire where I live)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fox is gonna greenlight an I, Robot series next year.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Josh Lyman posted:

Fox is gonna greenlight an I, Robot series next year.
Stop it. Stop precogging.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Grinder is real good y'all.

How do we feel about a 1.0 for a Tuesday comedy on Fox?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

It'll last longer than Minority Report :v:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zoux posted:

I feel it won't last long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

The hour bloc with Grandfathered is good, but whose idea was it to pair it with Scream Queens?

• Locked thread