Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

No. the worst part about it are the people pointing to this particular episode and claiming that it's some sort of conspiracy wherein the financial director purposefully boarded a train and shouted into a phone in order to be overheard by two passengers who would then independently corroborate the story -- all to get another Biden story leaked to the National Review. Or were the passengers plants as well? Was anyone on the train not part of this canard?!

No, I think he probably honestly had a conversation wherein he felt Biden was in. The ridiculousness of the situation was that he's some guy who is part of the Draft Biden group yelling good things about Biden running and people took it on face value. He is predisposed to be looking for anything that says Yes Biden, something more than his yelling on a train is needed for a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

I didn't get the email. Post it

It went out to like 500 people, many of whom immediately replied all and turned it into a ridiculous group chat.

The followup from PI was basically "whoops please forget all that personal info you may now have tia":

Dear Trader,

We apologize for an email that was just accidentally sent out that included addresses other than yours. This mistake will not be repeated. We request that you delete it and look for a proper replacement that will be sent to you.

Again we sincerely apologize.

The PredictIt Team

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.predictit.org/Contract/449/Will-Michael-Bloomberg-win-the-2016-US-presidential-election#data1

:w-hat:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I'll buy NOs on that for 90c yes please.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

So are there going to be appetizers or what

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 23, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

How much would it cost a campaign to buy enough shares to make it look like you've got momentum going and to get people to take a look at you?

Ridiculously little

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

How much would it cost a campaign to buy enough shares to make it look like you've got momentum going and to get people to take a look at you?

A single person could push BUSH.USPREZ16 up 10% to .30 for $591.33

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The guy who bought Bloomberg from 1c (tied for last) to 10c (7th, better than Fiorina) spent $100.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Geez, that isn't much at all. Are total shares in the each market listed somewhere or are you doing some statistical jiu jitsu to figure this out?

Yeah the total is listed under "data" for each market, and the more popular ones tend to have pretty huge floats. The Biden Runs market has 100,000 shares outstanding, for example.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

So y'all goons keep a scoreboard of how you're doing?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think I'm the only one itt to actually screenshot picks and investment amounts. People rightfully hold their cards to their chest. I'm in this for $20 total plus $40 of a friend's money so I'm not actually concerned with min-maxing and ROI, it's the camaraderie and speculation that makes me want to post tbh

this is interesting poo poo and the stuff we talk about is worth much more to me personally than the actual money invested

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I'm there with ya. I put twenty dollars into it and I'm having fun playing around. That said, I'm up by about two bucks so now i feel like competent investor man.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Btw, Bloomberg as Pres. Are down to 89 cent NOs. It's a sure fire way to make 11 cents.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah if you can wait two years. I think people are starting to figure out the time opportunity of this stuff, so markets are moving more slowly.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I'm expecting him to drop out quick, so the payoff won't be that long.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I just remembered all my arbitrage shares with sell orders at $.99 and removed them all. Don't want those selling before they credit my account.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I'm expecting him to drop out quick, so the payoff won't be that long.

What are you talking about? You mean the price to drop out quick or the non-candidate to drop out quick?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't think they can close that market until literally 2016. I mean hell they have Paul Ryan and Jerry Brown as still viable markets. And Scott Walker. And Sarah Palin.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What are you talking about? You mean the price to drop out quick or the non-candidate to drop out quick?

I was making the (seemingly incorrect) assumption that he would drop out of the race in an official capacity and they would close the contact, but yea, now I'm seeing Scott Walker on there and I'm selling this poo poo asap. Luckily, I made a cent on the shares.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

When did Michael Bloomberg announce he was running??

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

A hedge fund billionaire said it yesterday.

But like... Does that mean he will?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not as a Republican, and probably never.

edit ah, I thought he was up in the primary market, not the general market.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How often does the Nobel Peace prize go to just one person?

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Stereotype posted:

The guy who bought Bloomberg from 1c (tied for last) to 10c (7th, better than Fiorina) spent $100.

Seeing this made me want to do some math. As it stands now, someone could bid Bloomberg up to 40c and into first place overall by spending $176. So if someone with money to burn (or a campaign) really wanted to point to PredictIt to show a candidate was legitimate, it would be fairly cheap to do so.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

Gyges posted:

How often does the Nobel Peace prize go to just one person?

Last time was 2010, but that was the third consecutive year it was awarded to a single person.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

If you look at the overall history, giving the Prize to just one person (and sometimes whatever organization they're running to boot) is the norm unless it's awarded to a set of negotiators or to joint leaders of a particular movement. The 2011 and 2014 awards were exceptions (although they were clearly thematically linked).

Moral of the story: None of the people or orgs listed by PredictIt have any kind of connection that would be immediately obvious (which is what the Prize-givers really go in for), don't even think of buying YES shares in "Multiple of these" EDIT: unless you plan on selling them before Friday, of course.

EDIT: And when it comes to NO shares in "Multiple of these" as well, note that the rules state that one of the candidates they offer still has to win.

Combed Thunderclap has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Oct 7, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I dropped $20 into this game and so far I have $36 so I'm pretty happy with that!

I plan on building it up until I lose it all of course.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnnyPalace posted:

Seeing this made me want to do some math. As it stands now, someone could bid Bloomberg up to 40c and into first place overall by spending $176. So if someone with money to burn (or a campaign) really wanted to point to PredictIt to show a candidate was legitimate, it would be fairly cheap to do so.

The price would immediately drop like a rock after that initially buy, though.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

The price would immediately drop like a rock after that initial buy, though.

I never said it was a good idea

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

With how relatively easy it is to day trade in this game, who are the suckers losing money and still playing?

(It's me, I'm the future sucker)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

With how relatively easy it is to day trade in this game, who are the suckers losing money and still playing?

I'm down 5% on a $2k initial buy but I've been doing a lot of things like "If the price of ('No' on Jeb for GOP nom) is correct at 70c then the price of ('No' on Jeb for Prez) should be at a minimum 85c" and buying a fortune at 80c without really looking at any of the fundamentals. There's probably a lot of guys like me who are just doing this with disposable income or only buying things that they care about (like my 50 shares of Bernie for Prez).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, frankly, "people buying things they care about" is how you lose money. It takes dispassion.

Since we're all emotional beings it's impossible to rid this of ourselves completely, but I like my method: I'll buy shares in events or people where I'd be disappointed if the outcome goes my way. That way, either I make money or a good thing happens, like my Bernie NO shares for Iowa.

vvv that too, gently caress poll markets

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Oct 8, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I lost some. Learn from my mistakes and avoid the stupid poll markets.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

I lost some. Learn from my mistakes and avoid the stupid poll markets.

Yeah, this. The best was last week, where the week's new polls dropped it below the cutoff value... but because the aggregator site didn't update their moving average for the day until after the market had closed, it resolved to $0.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, this. The best was last week, where the week's new polls dropped it below the cutoff value... but because the aggregator site didn't update their moving average for the day until after the market had closed, it resolved to $0.

Yeah I enjoyed losing that money so much I haven't really played on the site since.

It doesn't help that the only things that resolve before a year goes by are generally the poll markets :/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only way to play the polls is to be out 100% by the time you get to work the day they close.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A Time To Chill posted:

Yeah I enjoyed losing that money so much I haven't really played on the site since.

It doesn't help that the only things that resolve before a year goes by are generally the poll markets :/

I made $20 on the crazy volatility of the House Majority leader one which will resolve soon. The Nobel Peace prize one is also a total gamble because who knows who those crazy Swedes will pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

• Locked thread