Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

1st AD posted:

Ryan Bader got knocked down and guillotined by Jacob Christopher Ortiz

I've actually recently discovered that this was NOT canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

MA-Horus posted:

Give the Women's divisions some time to flesh out, and I think we'll see some damned good fights, and their popularity will only grow.

FFS We have a card headlined by TWO Women's championships and it's gonna be amazing.
It's going to take a really long time to be good by default. This is WMMA's post-tank abbot-as-contender stage at best, barring the presence of a ludicrous superstar who quantum leaped back from 10 years into the future and decided to stay

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MA-Horus posted:

You know UFC wasn't all that great when the divisions first started.

Remember Tim Sylvia? His greatest skill was "Being Fat." He was champion for a long time.

Give the Women's divisions some time to flesh out, and I think we'll see some damned good fights, and their popularity will only grow.

FFS We have a card headlined by TWO Women's championships and it's gonna be amazing.

I feel like I say this every couple of months, but everyone needs to slow down and enjoy where women's MMA is at. Early MMA was not an upper echelon athletic contest, but it was (almost) always funny or crazy. Once the days of TKO to ballpunches or Royce pulling out Kimo's topknot to get a choke or Saku defeating Royce in the 2 hour TEST OF STRENGTH, they were never coming back at that level of exposure again. Women's MMA is giving us an opportunity to relive the time when Ken Shamrock was the most dangerous man alive and Mark Coleman was one of the best through largeness and wrestling. A time when Bas Rutten took the title from Kevin Randleman through the advanced technique of bitch slapping while being humped. Savor these times. When the women's game attains advancement, you will never see dumb freakshow fights like this again. Unless science advances to the point where we can create new genders to brutalize one another in solo combat for our amusement.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I feel like I say this every couple of months, but everyone needs to slow down and enjoy where women's MMA is at. Early MMA was not an upper echelon athletic contest, but it was (almost) always funny or crazy. Once the days of TKO to ballpunches or Royce pulling out Kimo's topknot to get a choke or Saku defeating Royce in the 2 hour TEST OF STRENGTH, they were never coming back at that level of exposure again. Women's MMA is giving us an opportunity to relive the time when Ken Shamrock was the most dangerous man alive and Mark Coleman was one of the best through largeness and wrestling. A time when Bas Rutten took the title from Kevin Randleman through the advanced technique of bitch slapping while being humped. Savor these times. When the women's game attains advancement, you will never see dumb freakshow fights like this again. Unless science advances to the point where we can create new genders to brutalize one another in solo combat for our amusement.

you will find that bellator and dream or whatever still exist

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
WMMA sucks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherdog posted:

Because they throw about the same number of strikes Ronda does but stretched out over 8-12 rounds.

The Klitschko's are really, impressively good but seeing someone jab their outmatched opponent's face off for 7 rounds before deciding to maybe throw a right hand or two isn't as exciting as seeing someone take out their outmatched opponent in an animated gif timeframe.
I was veing sardonic directed at this post

Memento posted:

So the promo exists because they know how bad the fight will be? Makes sense. Although, even with destroying her opponents in under a minute, Ronda keeps popping those buyrates.

Who then replied that the difference between the two was Ronda being an object to gently caress reducing her fights to sex object. Rather than y'know them being dull as blazes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

If Ryan Bader fought opponents of the caliber that RR fights he'd be the most dynamic knockout artist in MMA history.

Ryan Bader went to decision with Carmelo Marrero, Eric Schafer and Elliott "The Fire" Marshall.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
All of those middling ham and eggers are, skill wise, 20 times better than any woman fighter who currently exists except for rr. That's the point bud.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The talent gap in W135 compared to other divisions is a bit overstated, too.

W135 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who really have no hope of dethroning her, and then a garbage fire.

HW has two great fighters, one pretty good but declining fighter with multiple losses to one of the great ones, an old man on a winning streak, and a garbage fire.

205 has a champ, a "champ," and then a few decent guys who have lost to the champ and the "champ," and then it's a garbage fire.

155-185 are shark tanks.

145 has four great guys on top of the heap and then it's a mess.

135 has Brian "Seedy" Caraway pushing the top 5, and actually in the top 5 if we remove fighters who are hopelessly inactive, injured, or no longer fighting in that division (Barao, Assuncao, and McDonald). Let that sink in.

125 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who have really no hope of dethroning him, and then it is a garbage fire.

e. Mark Hunt of course defies all classification.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MA-Horus posted:

You know UFC wasn't all that great when the divisions first started.

Remember Tim Sylvia? His greatest skill was "Being Fat." He was champion for a long time.

Goons hate cool things. It is the way of the universe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CommonShore posted:

HW has two great fighters, one pretty good but declining fighter with multiple losses to one of the great ones, an old man on a winning streak, and a garbage fire.

You are of course talking about King of Goon Hearts, Markuh Huuuuuuuunto, yeh?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MA-Horus posted:

You are of course talking about King of Goon Hearts, Markuh Huuuuuuuunto, yeh?

I was actually thinking JDS but yeah, I should have added Hunto as a separate item there. I wasn't sure how to classify him.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
In no way does WMMA have a few decent fighters

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

W135 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who really have no hope of dethroning her, and then a garbage fire.

205 has a champ, a "champ," and then a few decent guys who have lost to the champ and the "champ," and then it's a garbage fire.

155-185 are shark tanks.

135 has Brian "Seedy" Caraway pushing the top 5, and actually in the top 5 if we remove fighters who are hopelessly inactive, injured, or no longer fighting in that division (Barao, Assuncao, and McDonald). Let that sink in.

125 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who have really no hope of dethroning him, and then it is a garbage fire.

see, all fighters are bad.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

I was actually thinking JDS but yeah, I should have added Hunto as a separate item there. I wasn't sure how to classify him.

You can classify him in the garbage fire because that's where he belongs

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
125 has a lot of very good fighters

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I contend that Mighty Mouse's greatest advantage is the same one that Benson Henderson held: no one has come up with a winning strategy against him because no one is willing to sit down and watch his fights

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

vainman posted:

Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Ronda Rousey
Cyborg Justino
Cat Zingano
Karolina Kowalkiewicz
Alexa Grasso
Claudia Gadelha

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

vainman posted:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't think 145 is a mess. I also don't think JDS, with wins over Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum, is much worse than Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum. You could just go with 3 great fighters I think. controversial opinions.

in fact I would argue that 170 and 185 are more of a mess at the moment since you have high profile guys like Anderson and Lombard out of action due to drug tests and Johny Hendricks loving up the #1 contender fight by refusing to put down cheeseburgers. Edgar, Mendes, Conor, and Aldo might be a touch better than the rest but at least everybody ranked at 145 is having good fights this year.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

david carmichael posted:

I contend that Mighty Mouse's greatest advantage is the same one that Benson Henderson held: no one has come up with a winning strategy against him because no one is willing to sit down and watch his fights

lmao

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ronda is pretty good but skill-wise she'd be middling in any division at best. all the other girls are bad. worse than heavyweights.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Foul Fowl posted:

ronda is pretty good but skill-wise she'd be middling in any division at best. all the other girls are bad. worse than heavyweights.

Joanna Champion is better at fighting than Travis Browne hth

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
not really

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
She's not

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
before you post about how women fighters are inferior, remember fighting is 90% mental, pigs

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

1st AD posted:

Joanna Champion is better at fighting than Travis Browne hth

I wouldn't be so sure

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

CommonShore posted:

155-185 are shark tanks.

e. Mark Hunt of course defies all classification.

I don't know if I agree with any of this

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Heavyweight is interesting because you have guys like overeem and Barnett who are incredibly skilled and gifted and yet they lose so often

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

I don't know if I agree with any of this

I agree with the part of dc being a fake champ

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Heavyweight is interesting because you have guys like overeem and Barnett who are incredibly skilled and gifted and yet they lose so often

Yeah I like it

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I think travis browne could beat a woman in a fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I agree that women's mma, or at least w135 as it exists in the UFC, is currently in its pioneering days where the majority of the talent pool are people who got into fighting for a hobby because their boyfriends were fighters or coaches, which is a big part of why the physically gifted athlete who was born into an insane judo dynasty is leaps and bounds above all the rest in every single way.

I also think that due to Rousey's insane level of exposure and ability to raise money, she has likely already set in motion a wave of girls who will look up to her and start training seriously for its own sake from a younger age. We will reap this in the future.

Because of this, when in 10 years Ronda is retired and the division is firmly locked in the grasp of seven people who are Rashad Evans with titties passing the belt back and forth forever, you naysayers will all look back on this Era where most of the fights are at least entertaining with longing and self-loathing.

I know I am not saying anything other people havent before, but it's worth putting out there. Anyway Invicta is fun and the next card is in november so yall should watch it, have a nice Wednesday afternoon.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Bluedeanie posted:

Rashad Evans with titties
Isn't that just Rashad Evans?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
WMMA isn't as good as some of you make it out to be, and isn't as bad as the people who say it's total garbage. I don't enjoy much of it currently, but I also didn't enjoy much of the very early years of the UFC either (outside of the initial spectacle, it really didn't feel like much of a sport until much later).

But, that initial spectacle is what drags people in, and that's where 135 is right now. Not saying Ronda is Royce, she's more of the Fedor of WMMA right now, but with less competition. She's legit, it's just that she really is fighting cans sometimes because the depth isn't there yet.

There are some good fighters, but the talent pool really is shallow outside of them.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/651843921283317760

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh Joanna :allears:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

WMMA isn't as good as some of you make it out to be, and isn't as bad as the people who say it's total garbage. I don't enjoy much of it currently, but I also didn't enjoy much of the very early years of the UFC either (outside of the initial spectacle, it really didn't feel like much of a sport until much later).

But, that initial spectacle is what drags people in, and that's where 135 is right now. Not saying Ronda is Royce, she's more of the Fedor of WMMA right now, but with less competition. She's legit, it's just that she really is fighting cans sometimes because the depth isn't there yet.

There are some good fighters, but the talent pool really is shallow outside of them.

gently caress! As a hater this middle of the road nothing opinion made me mad!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:lol:

Also Ronda isn't anything like Fedor. Maybe is she was always ducking various fighters, getting protected by the org from anyone that might beat her, and made crazy demands about how half the show has to be presented by RR Global.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Ronda is the Ronda of this generation. She put it best when she rematched Miesha and said "I'm an Olympic athlete, and she's a high school wrestler."

• Locked thread