Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Excels posted:

auron was old as gently caress.

In Japan video game ages, he was 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Saoshyant posted:

I imagine Auron was early 40's. Or at least I hope so, otherwise the whole shebang about his mystique just falls really flat.

He's 35.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
his ghost aged too.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Auron was 35. Which IS loving ancient in anime years, true.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rikku was the ripe age of 18.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

He's 35.

35 includes ghost years.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd imagine most people don't live to their 50s in a world where Sin exists.
Not that I'm excusing FF X doing the 35 year old man being a fossil of ancient wisdom thing that anime does a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What Final Fantasy games actually have old characters? Tellah from IV and Strago from VI were both up there. I think Cyan was 50, but that might have been some dumb strategy guide fluff that missed the mark.

Cid from Tactics I would imagine was up there as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

35 is old, sorry old FF thread posters

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What Final Fantasy games actually have old characters? Tellah from IV and Strago from VI were both up there. I think Cyan was 50, but that might have been some dumb strategy guide fluff that missed the mark.

Cid from Tactics I would imagine was up there as well.

You forgot FuSoYa and Galuf. Vincent is technically 57 years old in FF VII, just like Vanille and Fang are technically over 600 years old in FF XIII. But yeah, there aren't a lot of older playable characters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Talking about old people in Final Fantasy games and no mention of motherfucking Galuf from FFV? For shame.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Talking about old people in Final Fantasy games and no mention of motherfucking Galuf from FFV? For shame.

He was old and stupid and his niece steals all his powers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cake Attack posted:

35 is old, sorry old FF thread posters

I'm approaching 30 and still play a JRPG aimed at 14 year olds. :shepicide:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tenzarin posted:

Rikku was the ripe age of 18.

She was 16 during X.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Apparently 3D graphics can't render old age since all the old men are in 16-bit games.

Also is Lulu seriously the oldest woman in the series at 22.

e: Oh yeah well Aeris is also 22.

VVVV Well I did mean playable character since that's all that people have been discussing here.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Veib posted:

Apparently 3D graphics can't render old age since all the old men are in 16-bit games.

Also is Lulu seriously the oldest woman in the series at 22.

Nope. Matoya exists and nobody remembers her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Nope. Matoya exists and nobody remembers her.

I assume they meant "playable." There are a lot of older lady characters in general.

I also assume it isn't counting briefly playable like Edea.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's fair to say that games have trended towards being self-serious in a lot of places. How many games end with the protagonists tragically dying while sad music plays, and how much humor is self-effacing sarcasm?

I don't think that's exclusive by any means and there are counter-examples but there's a pretty big trend in modern gaming that poo poo has to be Super Fuckin' Serious and any humor has to be ironic so people don't think you're being serious about liking something silly.

That's true and it's unfortunate that it's such a major trend but it doesn't mean FF couldn't be given different thematic and aesthetic treatment. Grimdark FF could be fun. Maybe give it to one of those South American dev houses and see the weirdness they'd produce. Now that we're getting FF:Boyband edition, it seems like all bets are off and if it's a success, we get more weird variations of FF. To me, it's not really a sacred cow anymore and with SE having talent all over the world, it seems like a great series to give the international treatment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasn't Yuffie the only teenager in FF VII, the game everyone makes fun of for having a teenage cast and starting that trend in JRPGs?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wasn't Yuffie the only teenager in FF VII, the game everyone makes fun of for having a teenage cast and starting that trend in JRPGs?

Yuffie was the ripe age of 18.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes. FF8 was actually the game with all teenagers.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Red XIII was still a teenager at the young age of 48.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bloodychill posted:

And for that particular game it'd be weirder if that wasn't the case

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That trend was a thing wayyyyyy before FF7 rolled around

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I have to question this. Physically yes, but mentally and emotionally I doubt it. I've seen more mature 8 year olds than the cast of that game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Srice posted:

And for that particular game it'd be weirder if that wasn't the case

FF8: 2nd career community college edition.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
who is the jeff winger of final fantasy 8

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

FF8: 2nd career community college edition.

Final boss is the personification of wasted potential and long forgotten personal goals.

e: ^^ Seifer is Jeff Winger

Zell is Troy

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
how old was everyone in FFIV cuz they all seemed to be adults except for Palam and Porom.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have to question this. Physically yes, but mentally and emotionally I doubt it. I've seen more mature 8 year olds than the cast of that game.

You missed the memo about how the entire game is "militarizing children is bad and ruins their mental development".

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Excels posted:

how old was everyone in FFIV cuz they all seemed to be adults except for Palam and Porom.

Most of the cast is in their early to mid 20's. However, Rydia is 8 (I think) before the monster incident, Cid and Yang look like they're probably in their early 30's, Porom/Palam are like 5, and Tellah looks like he's about to fall over so probably 40.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You missed the memo about how the entire game is "militarizing children is bad and ruins their mental development".

That isn't in the game though. Well I mean, yes of course that'd make sense in reality but the game does gently caress all to reinforce that idea. Just like a lot of things about FF VIII.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFVIII is a fever dream of a series of loosely connected events that make no goddamn sense and is fantastic for it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
What is a Western developed Final Fantasy game? Or a Japanese developed Final Fantasy game for that matter? Square Enix's Japanese development teams have become increasingly cosmopolitan over the years. FFXV has an Italian as a co-lead character artist, a Malaysian as its lead game designer, and a Frenchman as its lead engine architect. Kingdom Hearts 3's lead director, Tai Yasue, is a native of Canada. Numerous outsourcing companies all over the world, such as XPEC in Taiwan, are working on their games. The FFXV team is interested in collaborating with Avalanche Studios for the airship portion of the game.

We're already seeing their games take more and more influence from the best selling Western games, such as Skyrim and Assassin's Creed. It's unfortunate that a longtime pioneer of RPGs is now follower since other RPG developers, such as Bioware, have built and improved upon their innovations. Nonetheless, that's the reality of their situation.

The national borders of game development is dissolving due to the demands of modern game development. During Yochi Wada's tenure, he pushed to made development teams multinational. Part of it is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep up with international trend and even hire qualified native staff. The other part is that Square-Enix knows that a AAA game needs widespread appeal in order to be a commercial success and is hiring the necessary staff to make their games a global success. It's certainly not the first time since FFIX had a good portion of its team come from the United States and France.

Senator Chuckles posted:

You almost got your wish, FFXII fans and haters. the middle-aged man simulator you've been craving...

I wish there were more games where I could play as an older character in a politically charged medieval setting with big open environments and side missions where I have to hunt monsters. And it should have a kingslayer who starts a bloody civil war.

Wait a minute...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat nothing I love more than jrpg age talk

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

who is the jeff winger of final fantasy 8

Obv. Seifer.

bloodychill posted:

Most of the cast is in their early to mid 20's. However, Rydia is 8 (I think) before the monster incident, Cid and Yang look like they're probably in their early 30's, Porom/Palam are like 5, and Tellah looks like he's about to fall over so probably 40.

Cid's actually 54. In TAY, he's 71, which ties him with WoR Strago as the series' oldest playable character (unless you count Fang and Vanille).

You're pretty much right about the rest though (except Tellah's 60 but whatever).

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

drat nothing I love more than jrpg age talk

Look, a dumbass like me just feels like he missed something if he turned 22, but isn't world-wisened like the similarly-aged characters in his Japanese Final Fantasies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want a FF where the main character is a 41 year old insurance adjuster

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

game pitch for Square Enix - what if Lightning was a milf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004