Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cineplex in Canada used to have Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, New York Fries, and Burger King, but they seemed to have all pretty much disappeared out of theaters and they're just back to candy and popcorn poo poo.

Well, they've introduced their new "menu" items, which is code for sub-fast-food-quality garbage that they try and pretend is gourmet. "Yes sir, please enjoy our gourmet food choices, prepared by our in house executive chef, who is whoever isn't on sweeping duty tonight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Enjoy our fine artisinal pressed corn wafers, lightly dusted with fresh sea salt and drizzled with our signature creamy lactose-free fromage sauce.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It would be pretty cool if movie theaters actually got to keep enough of the ticket sales to not have to rely on concession sales as the majority of their income, wouldn't it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
When I was in high school. someone renovated the local small theater by ripping out half the rows to put in bench tables, and they started serving good food. If something like that opened nearby I'd see at least one movie a week, maybe more. The only reason I'd go anywhere else would be for "must see in IMAX" films.

Hey, they're still open (and they expanded to Latrobe!) -- http://www.fleeglecinemas.com

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When I was in high school. someone renovated the local small theater by ripping out half the rows to put in bench tables, and they started serving good food. If something like that opened nearby I'd see at least one movie a week, maybe more. The only reason I'd go anywhere else would be for "must see in IMAX" films.

Hey, they're still open (and they expanded to Latrobe!) -- http://www.fleeglecinemas.com
There are a couple small/indie theaters in my town that serve local craft beer and stuff, but they always are way behind. One of them used to just project DVDs on screen and called themselves a bar until they got their poo poo more together.

Bench tables is a great idea - let people nosh on a bigass burger or something hell yeah, or you could even get some bar seating up behind the reclining chair or something.. Now I wanna go to a theater that's got pool tables up in the back.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Time to fill my purse with tampons and condoms.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: what does Regal expect their 16 year old purse checker to do when he actually runs into someone with a gun who wants to shoot people?

"heyyyyy. :mad: I know what you are planning on doing with this buster. Mass murder is not allowed in this theater. You are gonna have to leave this AK-47 at that snack stand and pick it up after movie is over"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: what does Regal expect their 16 year old purse checker to do when he actually runs into someone with a gun who wants to shoot people?

Be thankful that the sweet release of death is coming to save him from the minimum-wage hell of spending all day being yelled at by lovely people who take their indignation at being delayed for 5 seconds on their way into the movie theater out on him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

There are a couple small/indie theaters in my town that serve local craft beer and stuff, but they always are way behind. One of them used to just project DVDs on screen and called themselves a bar until they got their poo poo more together.

Bench tables is a great idea - let people nosh on a bigass burger or something hell yeah, or you could even get some bar seating up behind the reclining chair or something.. Now I wanna go to a theater that's got pool tables up in the back.

My theater does this. They have craft beers, wine, a pizza oven, candies from local candy shops, and good popcorn. They have two screens and play more indie-ish movies, though they did play American Ultra. They're pretty awesome, though I wish they would play midnight movies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

"heyyyyy. :mad: I know what you are planning on doing with this buster. Mass murder is not allowed in this theater. You are gonna have to leave this AK-47 at that snack stand and pick it up after movie is over"
Yeah this was nearly exactly my first thought when I encountered it, except I live in a place where it's more likely to be a well-meaning idiot with a serious gun-rights chip on his shoulder who may or may not believe that Obama is going to send a spree shooter to the latest showing of Jurassic Park.

That's why I consider the bag checking thing to be a passive-aggressive way to shame people from bringing their own stuff in, than any potential security boost - just like sending a kid with a flashlight through the theater two or three times during the showing.

When they find some chick does have pepper spray and a pink .32 in her purse, are they going to send her away? Reimburse her ticket price? Let alone the angry redneck gun-rights enthusiast who truly believes he's doing a public service by bringing his own protection to the theater.. And the first serious gun nut who has a concealed permit is gonna call the NRA and have a media team and lawyers down there to go full Kim Davis faster than corporate can say "PR debacle".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 3, 2015

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Yeah this was nearly exactly my first thought when I encountered it, except I live in a place where it's more likely to be a well-meaning idiot with a serious gun-rights chip on his shoulder who may or may not believe that Obama is going to send a spree shooter to the latest showing of Jurassic Park.

That's why I consider the bag checking thing to be a passive-aggressive way to shame people from bringing their own stuff in, than any potential security boost - just like sending a kid with a flashlight through the theater two or three times during the showing.

When they find some chick does have pepper spray and a pink .32 in her purse, are they going to send her away? Reimburse her ticket price? Let alone the angry redneck gun-rights enthusiast who truly believes he's doing a public service by bringing his own protection to the theater.. And the first serious gun nut who has a concealed permit is gonna call the NRA and have a media team and lawyers down there to go full Kim Davis faster than corporate can say "PR debacle".

I worked at a movie theater. One time a guy carried a gun into the theater. When we noticed we told him it was against theater policy to have guns on the property. He took his gun outside and locked it in his car. Problem solved

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found out that my dad is strapped 100% of the time that way when we went to a baseball game. we got to walk 20 minutes back to the car so he could lock it up. 34 years old and I had no idea he had a gun in those dad jeans all that time.

I can just never imagine a mass shooter going in with a pistol in a purse or something let alone letting someone check their bag. At best that policy seems like it would just get an extra person killed when they ask to check the guys duffel bag.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

coyo7e posted:

They're called Alamo Drafthouses and they are pretty much the best. Slowly spreading from Texas to other places. Food, first run films, and tons of special shows.

http://drafthouse.com

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Palooka posted:

They're called Alamo Drafthouses and they are pretty much the best. Slowly spreading from Texas to other places. Food, first run films, and tons of special shows.

http://drafthouse.com

Still nowhere close to the northeast, though. :argh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not true, there's one in Yonkers, NY.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I live in the UK; What's the best VPN to view US-prime movies?

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And it is heaven.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

They have independent theaters all over the place. Just google "CityName theater with food"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Three hours away. :(

Alterian posted:

They have independent theaters all over the place. Just google "CityName theater with food"
There is one here in RI, but they're more art house movies than cult movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cable Car is really awesome. I saw A Hard Day's Night there when they were showing the new print. Comfy seats, good screen/sound. I didn't get any of the food but there was definitely plenty to choose from.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey, I hate traveling to Yonkers too, but there is at least one Drafthouse here!

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Any idea what happened to Property Virgins on Netflix? I cannot find it and it was supposed to be added on Oct 1st

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Souvlaki ss posted:

Any idea what happened to Property Virgins on Netflix? I cannot find it and it was supposed to be added on Oct 1st

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's just a show about people buying their first house.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For the first episodes yeah, but then they reveal that the ranch home in episode 2 was just shy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just saw "Hot Girls Wanted" last night and I still can't get over some of the poo poo that went on.

Like with the one girl who just showed up, they're like "oh here's your trashed bedroom you're gonna share with 2 other girls" and it didn't even faze her.

It didn't seem like they all came from lovely situations, so I couldn't understand how they were able to delude themselves into thinking they had it made.

I mean, you live in a lovely house with 5+ other people, you hardly go out, you get pizza all the time. That's probably worse than sharing a house with maybe two other people who work low wage jobs at the same age.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm not sure if Netflix messed something up with the latest client update for Fire TV or if this has been a thing for a while, but what is up with US Netflix having foreign shows and movies without subtitles? For some Spanish stuff I can understand them putting up the content before they have subs available, but Portuguese? Or this movie I tried watching where they speak Siamese in like half the scenes, there's only CC available for the English parts.
Similarly, when watching stuff from non-US Netflix, they often don't provide English subs even though they're available in the US. I heard every platform has a different Netflix client, is this a thing on all platforms or just Fire TV?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vodos posted:

I'm not sure if Netflix messed something up with the latest client update for Fire TV or if this has been a thing for a while, but what is up with US Netflix having foreign shows and movies without subtitles? For some Spanish stuff I can understand them putting up the content before they have subs available, but Portuguese? Or this movie I tried watching where they speak Siamese in like half the scenes, there's only CC available for the English parts.
Similarly, when watching stuff from non-US Netflix, they often don't provide English subs even though they're available in the US. I heard every platform has a different Netflix client, is this a thing on all platforms or just Fire TV?

Well if its anything like my fire TV stick its kinda lovely in all the wrong ways. Don't hold your breath for Amazon if the fix is on their end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor Butts posted:

I just saw "Hot Girls Wanted" last night and I still can't get over some of the poo poo that went on.

Like with the one girl who just showed up, they're like "oh here's your trashed bedroom you're gonna share with 2 other girls" and it didn't even faze her.

It didn't seem like they all came from lovely situations, so I couldn't understand how they were able to delude themselves into thinking they had it made.

I mean, you live in a lovely house with 5+ other people, you hardly go out, you get pizza all the time. That's probably worse than sharing a house with maybe two other people who work low wage jobs at the same age.

Yeah, the thread has gone over this already. That film is very biased and not particularly sex-positive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know if this is new or not, but I just learned that Paramount has a Youtube channel with a decent offering of free movies.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzMVH2jEyEwXPBvyht8xQNw/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if this is new or not, but I just learned that Paramount has a Youtube channel with a decent offering of free movies.

Huh, I noticed quite a few movies on there that are also on Netflix. This is probably a good indication of how highly some studios view Netflix...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Look at that fuckin goddamn banner. Good lord.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Look at that fuckin goddamn banner. Good lord.

haha. looks like some 1998 geocities poo poo. only worse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Welcome to Hollywood! You may see some stars when you're in town...

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

If you wanna watch a documentary that seems to contain actual SA Goons (not really...I think) then watch The Nightmare. Its about sleep paralysis. I enjoyed it at first, but as it went on I became annoyed by the interviewees and their mental illnesses.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

If you wanna watch a documentary that seems to contain actual SA Goons (not really...I think) then watch The Nightmare. Its about sleep paralysis. I enjoyed it at first, but as it went on I became annoyed by the interviewees and their mental illnesses.

It's worth mentioning that The Nightmare is by Rodney Ascher, who also did Room 237 (the documentary about crazy theories surrounding The Shining, like it having clues that prove that Kubrick had been forced to fake the moon landings for the goverment) and The S From Hell (short documentary about people scared of corporate logos as kids). Him letting weird/crazy people air their damage is kind of his thing at this point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched part of it last night, and as someone who has had sleep paralysis it was interesting to see other people who have had almost the exact same experiences as me, but the horror aspect fell pretty short for the same reason. I look forward to watching the rest of it in the hopes that they go into the science of it a bit more.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

I felt the most interesting element of The Nightmare was the lack of a scientific explanation. If they offered any clinical research it would undercut the anxiety that's so effectively built throughout. I think one of the things the movie is showing is that it's very easy to believe people when they tell you things, especially if they're in movies, and even more so when there are re-enactments. It's sort of a meta-commentary on the genre it's a part of. That also accounts for the fourth wall breaking transitions, which undercut the mood the movie worked so hard to maintain.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Okay so they took Dead Zone off of Netflix for october.

so what are some streaming recommendations for halloween spooky scary time? I have netflix and amazon

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

Okay so they took Dead Zone off of Netflix for october.

so what are some streaming recommendations for halloween spooky scary time? I have netflix and amazon

That Paramount youtube channel has The Loved Ones. Pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I felt the most interesting element of The Nightmare was the lack of a scientific explanation. If they offered any clinical research it would undercut the anxiety that's so effectively built throughout. I think one of the things the movie is showing is that it's very easy to believe people when they tell you things, especially if they're in movies, and even more so when there are re-enactments. It's sort of a meta-commentary on the genre it's a part of. That also accounts for the fourth wall breaking transitions, which undercut the mood the movie worked so hard to maintain.

To me it's interesting to see how much these experiences have affected these people, when I have had the same experiences and haven't thought about it a whole lot. Whenever it's happened to me I've been like "wow my brain just really hosed with me that sucked" and gone on about my business.