Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Jeoh posted:

Cigarettes

As above, and from personal experience too.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
All my Chinese bros disliked cigarettes from California because they burn out quicker. They didn't like the taste either. Whiskeys a safer bet.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Don't use an ATM to get money out of China. Just Western Union it. For just about anything over $500 USD the fee is going to be much less than 3% (which is the most common foreign transactoin fee at ATMs). We have moved tens of thousands for like 1.4%.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lmao maybe because chinese ciggies are 50% filter, 40% good, and 10% bad

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jeoh posted:

Cigarettes

Really? Any particular brand?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Would something like Jack Daniels be cool or would it be insulting not to bring a high-end single malt?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think they'd be happy for anything genuine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
cigarettes went over really well to my wife's family...i think it's more of a bragging thing than the fact that the cigarettes are really that good

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ya I should clarify that the guys I gave cigarettes to were either guys playing dota or drunks. The dota guys didn't like the fact that California cigarettes burnt out quick since theyd put them down sometimes while dota-ing. The drunks were just picky.

I gave out packs of Camels since they're not really sold in China, those went overwell for showing off.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Maple products. I usually bring maple syrup and maple cookies when I go to china. People seem to like it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In Japan people always ask for beef jerky, which is specifically b&, but easy enough to bring in anyway.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tell them how its made. I had people ask me to bring the uncooked sap

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Woodsy Owl posted:

Don't use an ATM to get money out of China. Just Western Union it. For just about anything over $500 USD the fee is going to be much less than 3% (which is the most common foreign transactoin fee at ATMs). We have moved tens of thousands for like 1.4%.

Western Union has started capping recipients and senders, but if you're sending under 8k USD or 50k RMB a few times it's the way to go. It's become not nearly as good as it used to be.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

peanut posted:

I think they'd be happy for anything genuine

Ha, that's hilarious. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

socketwrencher posted:

Would something like Jack Daniels be cool or would it be insulting not to bring a high-end single malt?

The most popular alcohols here are 2.5% beer and turpentine mixed with gasoline so anything that is actually drinkable should be okay.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

angel opportunity posted:

cigarettes went over really well to my wife's family...i think it's more of a bragging thing than the fact that the cigarettes are really that good

Whenever there's some major thing going on in my wife's family, everyone buys a ton of cigarettes to give to the party concerned, whether they smoke or not; because that is what you do.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
So, basically you're all saying that Chinese gift giving economics mirrors that of a prison market?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Whenever there's some major thing going on in my wife's family, everyone buys a ton of cigarettes to give to the party concerned, whether they smoke or not; because that is what you do.

Last year, a close friend's father died of lung cancer, under horrible circumstances. He chocked to death on his own bleeding lungs, blood all over the house, then was kept "alive" in the hospital on a machine for forty minutes while the frantic family argued against turning it off. The friend then had to help wash down the apartment of blood, and then sit in the back of a van, staring at the father's body, covered in a single hospital sheet, for two hours in forty degrees heat in summer. He'd been diagnosed with lung cancer years before, and it was a huge ongoing stress for the family.

During the frankly horrible week that followed for the funeral rites, each visiting family member and friend was given boxes of cigarettes as gifts. Irony gave up on China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

socketwrencher posted:

Really? Any particular brand?

Any big name brand. Marlboro always goes well.

I gave my father-in-law a nice single malt, turns out he doesn't drink. His brother loved it though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

So, basically you're all saying that Chinese gift giving economics mirrors that of a prison market?

Yes.

Doubly so if you sneak in a (gold) (i)phone up your bumhole

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 5, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Quote is not edit

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jeoh posted:

Any big name brand. Marlboro always goes well.

I gave my father-in-law a nice single malt, turns out he doesn't drink. His brother loved it though.

Cheers, I'll bring some Marlboros and Camels. And booze. The gift of health!

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
When I travel to China/Taiwan, people there usually ask me to bring vitamins, supplements like "Move Free", powdered milk (China only). And of course, you never go wrong with cigarettes and alcohol.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Check with your local hosts whether they go mad for American ginseng. Some do, some don't

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah that's a good suggestion. The sadness of Appalachia makes the ginseng have super properties if you know the correct sorcerer or some poo poo.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

simplefish posted:

Check with your local hosts whether they go mad for American ginseng. Some do, some don't

oh yeah, we had to buy like $200 of Ginseng from Wisconsin to give to my father-in-law's boss

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
That's wild about the ginseng. You'd think they'd have that covered over there.

Here's a dumb one: I travel light, which necessitates cheap/fast laundry service. Are there places in Beijing and Shanghai to drop off clothes and pick them up next day (or sooner)? I'm not above washing in the sink and hanging to dry over the tub, but this method can be ineffective in colder climates.

ETA: Just read about Laundry Town and other services, but no mention of prices.

socketwrencher fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 8, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

no there are no chinese laundrys in china

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

simplefish posted:

no there are no chinese laundrys in china

Guess I kind of walked into that one. And I guess it goes without saying that they're fast and cheap. In fairness, I did say it was a dumb question.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Actual real question-

I got invited to a former colleague/friend's wedding. He's a western-educated, well-off Chinese guy and this is the first Chinese wedding I'm attending for an actual friend rather than as someone's weird white person token attendee, so I figure I should hongbao it up.

How much is appropriate? I really have no idea whatsoever. He's a little older than me if that factors into this equation at all.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It will really depend on the hotel and the food and how good you consider him as a friend, I think.

For example, at the Ritz-Carlton in Tianjin, it's about 1,000rmb per person. So you probably want to give more than 1,000rmb in the hongbao. The Ritz-Carlton is obviously a super nice place to have a reception in Tianjin, and maybe if you're good friends with the person you'd give them like 1,500rmb? If you're super good friends with him, maybe 2,000rmb?

If you're going to a place and it is like 450 or 500 a head maybe you could throw him a little more than that to cover it. This is what I've just kind of figured out from talking to co-workers, no idea if this is wildly inaccurate, just for Tianjin or if this is rather acceptable all across China, FYI.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

Actual real question-

I got invited to a former colleague/friend's wedding. He's a western-educated, well-off Chinese guy and this is the first Chinese wedding I'm attending for an actual friend rather than as someone's weird white person token attendee, so I figure I should hongbao it up.

How much is appropriate? I really have no idea whatsoever. He's a little older than me if that factors into this equation at all.

What I've done in the 2 weddings I've attended is asked other mutual friends who were also attending and asked how much they were giving. One wedding I ended up giving 688 RMB and another it was 888. I don't know

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Actual real question-

Give 444 and you'll never have to deal with this problem again

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Daduzi posted:

Wuzhen or Zhujiajiao are cool little water towns near Beijing (Zhujiajiao is closer but correspondingly more busy).

Near Beijing there's Chengde. There's an old Qing-era summer palace complex there which is pretty stunning.

Zhujiajiao is a replica water village with one looping canal, ye olde shops, and a construction site that you pay 200 rmb entry for. No street making GBS threads but 8-10,000 people walking around with selfie sticks. Around the reservoir though is chill. Rent a place for 100 rmb and eat chaer all night with beer looking at the reservoir was better. Better air quality might have been imaginery but it felt different.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

Actual real question-

Just ask him. Last time I got invited to a wedding here I was just like "I guess I should bring some money, right? How much is appropriate?"

And the inviter was like "most people are bringing $800" or something like that. And then I didn't go anyway so it didn't matter.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Even if you can't or didn't go you are "supposed" to give a red pocket

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hahaha gently caress your culture. "I'll just send an invitation to everyone in China. Assuming they all give around 8 yuan I'll be a fuckin billionaire." :whatup:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Even if you can't or didn't go you are "supposed" to give a red pocket

I've also done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

That's wild about the ginseng. You'd think they'd have that covered over there.

They do but the stuff from the US, especially West Virginia for whatever reason, is supposed to be special. It was overharvested and now is almost all grown in Wisconsin.