Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Perhaps there's a good reason to separate the actions of 15 year old you know almost nothing about from the actions of another 100 'lone jihadists' rather than trying to conflate them, especially if you're trying to argue against speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

Perhaps there's a good reason to separate the actions of 15 year old you know almost nothing about from the actions of another 100 'lone jihadists' rather than trying to conflate them, especially if you're trying to argue against speculation.

I think contextualizing an event like this in real world research, counter to the hordes of brainless pundits blaming it all on parents/culture/police/whatever else they pull out of their rear end is a reasonable and in fact responsible thing to do.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sure, but it would probably help if people knew what what actually occurred during the event they are trying to contextualize before writing an article about it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

Sure, but it would probably help if people knew what what actually occurred during the event they are trying to contextualize before writing an article about it.

This is a really bizarre reaction, though, since the broad thrust of the entire article, which you haven't focused on at all, agrees with you 100%.

The small section you are focusing on is there to demonstrate how flawed existing media speculation is. It isn't to say "this is definitely what is happening". It's there to demonstrate the uncertainty around cases like this.

quote:

The fact is that radicalisation is not just a complex process but a rapidly changing one. Any attempt to develop profiles of violent extremists today may no longer be relevant tomorrow. More importantly, perhaps, attempts based on flawed understandings of radicalisation are bound to fail.

As long as politicians and commentators (academics included) continue to speculate about the plethora of factors implicated in radicalisation the same old narratives dominate the way in which we talk about tragedies like the Parramatta shooting and we learn nothing.

Personal motive, individual history, psychological state, mental wellbeing, social situation, family context, personal relations, social identity, ideological attachment – instead of this speculation, we should be taking the opportunity to truly learn something about how and why this young boy was radicalised.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ahh Yes posted:

I'm ignorant here, but the abc and other media outlets, blur out faces of civilians involved in court cases in certain circumstances, not just children who have specific protection for obvious reasons.

I remember that ranga Muslim convert who married off his 12 year old daughter could request to have his face blurred, but that might relate to specific broadcasting obligations media organisations have to follow or a legal mechanism to enforce privacy for the defendant.

But then that meth head who killed a lot of puppies did not have his face hidden by the media, instead he had his own form of privacy by wearing a jumper over his head exposing his baby bump. And if I were him I would probably not want the Australian public to know my ugly face.

Parties in matters involving children or sexual matters are hidden to avoid the child or victim being identified.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ALP announcing policies today, are they getting a whiff of an early election?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

ALP announcing policies today, are they getting a whiff of an early election?

Could it possibly be that now Abbott isn't running the show they need to do something?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Internal polling shows "Do something" up 20 points.

*Bill Shorten smashes emergency box glass and takes out a hard hat*

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Anidav posted:

Internal polling shows "Do something" up 20 points.

*Bill Shorten smashes emergency box glass and triggers explosives creating mine collapse*

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers, high court told

Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers sent to the small Pacific nation for processing and any such limits on their movement had to comply with local law, government lawyers have told the high court.

Australia’s solicitor general, Justin Gleeson SC, disputed assertions by lawyers for a Bangladeshi asylum seeker that Canberra was effectively responsible for the detention of people it transferred to Nauru because it paid for their temporary visas and funded the processing centre.

But Gleeson argued that even if the high court made such a finding, the actions were authorised by retrospective changes to the Migration Act that the Australian parliament passed in June, a month after the plaintiff initiated her case.

“It’s belts and braces; it’s parliament looking at what the executive [government] is doing saying, ‘If you need our permission you have it,’” he told the court during a hearing in Canberra on Thursday.

Gleeson said parliament had passed the legislation “in order to ensure that at least this aspect of the case didn’t trouble the court”.

He was addressing the full bench of the high court on the second day of a hearing into a case that challenges the legality of Australia’s involvement in the detention of asylum seekers in Nauru and the validity of the Australian government’s contract with the processing centre operator Transfield Services.

The result could have broader implications for the future of Australia’s system of offshore processing, which has support from the main political parties, but a decision could be months away.

The lead case involves a Bangladeshi woman who was on a boat intercepted by Australian officers in October 2013 and was detained on Nauru from January 2014 until August 2014, when she was brought to Australia for medical treatment and subsequently gave birth to a child. The baby is now 10 months old.

The woman’s lawyers argued on Wednesday that the Australian government had “funded, authorised, procured and effectively controlled” the detention on Nauru, but this was not authorised by a valid Australian law or section 61 of the constitution.

They were seeking to prevent her return to Nauru, saying there remained a risk she would be detained there because the new “open centre” arrangements announced by the local government could be revoked at any time.

Gleeson, who began his oral arguments late on Wednesday but continued to address the court on Thursday, sought to rebut the argument about the extent of Australia’s involvement. At most, he said, the court could find that there was “substantial funding and assistance by Australia in various steps which enable Nauru to carry out its law on its soil”.

The solicitor general said Nauru was a sovereign state that could not be bound to accept people Australia transferred to the island. He conceded that an application for Nauru’s special regional processing visa could only be made by an Australian officer but Nauru determined whether to accept it and what conditions to impose.

When the chief justice, Robert French, suggested that the visa “didn’t come out of the sky”, Gleeson replied that the critical point was that Australia did not determine the conditions.

Gleeson denied the plaintiff’s arguments that detention on Nauru could be described as arbitrary, saying it was associated with the purpose of processing refugee claims and, if successful, people would “graduate to a temporary settlement visa”.

Nauru had the power to relax the requirements for people to remain in the processing centre, he said. “If an Australian official purported to give a direction to a service provider to reject a request to leave the premises the service provider would be entitled to say, ‘I’m exercising a power pursuant to Nauruan law and that must be my guiding touchstone, not simply the dictates of Australia.’”

French asked whether the commonwealth, in the implementation of the arrangements, could be taken to provide “material support necessary for the establishment and maintenance of a detention regime”.

Gleeson said: “The short answer to that is yes.”

Referring to security restraints, Gleeson said: “Our position is it’s a restraint imposed by Nauru capable of relaxation by persons Nauru chooses who operate as Nauru functionaries.”

Gleeson acknowledged the Transfield contract contained references to Australian laws and policies, but added: “Anything the commonwealth and Transfield might agree is naturally subject to the overriding force of the laws of Nauru.”

Transfield’s lawyers were due to give evidence to the court on Thursday in defence of the validity of the contract.

The case began with an application filed on 14 May for an order to prevent the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, from taking steps to return the Bangladeshi woman to Nauru.

In June the Australian government – then led by Tony Abbott – rushed legislation through the federal parliament to retrospectively clarify the commonwealth’s powers to fund regional processing centres.

The legislation – which won support from the Labor party – inserted a new section into the Migration Act, backdated to August 2012, saying the commonwealth may “take, or cause to be taken, any action in relation to” regional processing arrangements.

The new section, known as 198AHA, also declared the commonwealth could “make payments, or cause payments to be made, in relation to the arrangement or the regional processing functions of the country” or “do anything else that is incidental or conducive to the taking of such action or the making of such payments”.

leeson told the court on Thursday the new provisions were designed to satisfy the requirements that arose from the so-called Williams case, which related primarily to the federal government’s funding of school chaplaincy but had broader implications.

“Namely, it works on a theory that it would be within the executive power under section 61 of the constitution for the executive to decide, as it were, to enter the arrangement in the first place,” he said.

“Here is parliament saying, ‘You may go ahead and do everything you need to perform that arrangement which you’ve considered appropriate to enter.’”

Gleeson emphasised that although the legislation gave the Australian government the capacity and authority to undertake such actions, it could not override Nauruan law.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/australia-did-not-require-nauru-to-detain-asylum-seekers-high-court-told

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Obama not a 'real black' president: Murdoch

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

labors infrastructure is just more roads. even with tony gone they still agree with his policies

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
another thing

Victoria police will guard mosques after warnings about rightwing protests

Fringe groups plan return to push anti-mosque sentiment in Bendigo and elsewhere as part of ‘global anti-mosque protest day’ on Saturday

Victoria police will step up security around mosques and have advised worshippers to give notice of any community events at the weekend, amid warnings they will be targeted for protests by rightwing groups.

Fringe groups including the United Patriots Front are planning to return to Bendigo on 10 October for protests against plans to build a mosque in the town.

more.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/victoria-police-will-guard-mosques-after-warnings-about-rightwing-protests

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

labors infrastructure is just more roads. even with tony gone they still agree with his policies

quote:

Rail line to Sydney's Badgerys Creek airport, connecting the Western and Inner West and South lines
Melbourne's Metro Rail
Brisbane's Cross River Rail project
Gold Coast Light Rail stage two

Ipswich Motorway
Pacific Highway
Queensland's Bruce Highway
Tasmania's Midland Highway
Electrification of the Gawler rail line in Adelaide
Pledge to support public transport in Perth, possibly the State Opposition's Metronet plan
Six of the ten are rail or public transport projects, but sure.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

railroads

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Welp, they're hosed. The Gawler line has to be cursed, at this point. Every time it's been declared as an election priority, they've lost and it's been shuttered again and again.

We will have a Melbourne to Sydney bullet train, a Perth-based solar-powered subway, and a trans-pacific teleportation network, and the Gawler line will still not be electrified.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I know that at least one person here is going to need this picture for ~*reasons*~ so have at it

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
You people are terrible at keeping me amused. Lift your game

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ughhhh. Oh wait it's fake, right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

I know that at least one person here is going to need this picture for ~*reasons*~ so have at it

Canceled due to the curry being refouled.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers sent to the small Pacific nation for processing and any such limits on their movement had to comply with local law, government lawyers have told the high court.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/australia-did-not-require-nauru-to-detain-asylum-seekers-high-court-told
Australia isn't in charge, just paying for it?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

katlington posted:

Canceled due to the curry being refouled.

Australia isn't in charge, just paying for it?

The brouhahah over the home insulation scheme showed that if you pay for someone to do something and they kill someone doing it, it's your fault.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Birb Katter posted:

You people are terrible at keeping me amused. Lift your game

Not going to miss authorisedbybloughnaneliberalpartycanberra during the next election

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Mr Chips posted:

The brouhahah over the home insulation scheme showed that if you pay for someone to do something and they kill someone doing it, it's your fault.

only if it was a labor government doing it, be reasonable mate

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I dunno, ScoMo has always struck me an "extra mild butter chicken" kind of guy. I'm quite curious now.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Devour live babies is his favourite.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

I dunno, ScoMo has always struck me an "extra mild butter chicken" kind of guy. I'm quite curious now.

I see you've tried to get tasty food in the shire before too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone still have the "sink the refugee boats and win a prize" gif ?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Does anyone still have the "sink the refugee boats and win a prize" gif ?

No but have Joe Hockey 730 because it's still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZknIj4Yre0

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Animé David, did you buy Can Do? Is it really signed or just printed? There are a lot of questions here but the biggest one is WHY?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They are all signed in pen.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I read a chapter. He is apparently the self declared most "productive mayor and premier in Australian history?????"

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
You still didn't answer the part about "did you buy it?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

I read a chapter. He is apparently the self declared most "productive mayor and premier in Australian history?????"

Big deal I've been productive all over these forums.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No. I did not.

I could but I cannot figure out why.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Australia’s solicitor general, Justin Gleeson SC, disputed assertions by lawyers for a Bangladeshi asylum seeker that Canberra was effectively responsible for the detention of people it transferred to Nauru because it paid for their temporary visas and funded the processing centre.

But Gleeson argued that even if the high court made such a finding, the actions were authorised by retrospective changes to the Migration Act that the Australian parliament passed in June, a month after the plaintiff initiated her case.

“It’s belts and braces; it’s parliament looking at what the executive [government] is doing saying, ‘If you need our permission you have it,’” he told the court during a hearing in Canberra on Thursday.

Gleeson said parliament had passed the legislation “in order to ensure that at least this aspect of the case didn’t trouble the court”.

He was addressing the full bench of the high court on the second day of a hearing into a case that challenges the legality of Australia’s involvement in the detention of asylum seekers in Nauru and the validity of the Australian government’s contract with the processing centre operator Transfield Services.

The result could have broader implications for the future of Australia’s system of offshore processing, which has support from the main political parties, but a decision could be months away.

The lead case involves a Bangladeshi woman who was on a boat intercepted by Australian officers in October 2013 and was detained on Nauru from January 2014 until August 2014, when she was brought to Australia for medical treatment and subsequently gave birth to a child. The baby is now 10 months old.

The woman’s lawyers argued on Wednesday that the Australian government had “funded, authorised, procured and effectively controlled” the detention on Nauru, but this was not authorised by a valid Australian law or section 61 of the constitution.

They were seeking to prevent her return to Nauru, saying there remained a risk she would be detained there because the new “open centre” arrangements announced by the local government could be revoked at any time.

Gleeson, who began his oral arguments late on Wednesday but continued to address the court on Thursday, sought to rebut the argument about the extent of Australia’s involvement. At most, he said, the court could find that there was “substantial funding and assistance by Australia in various steps which enable Nauru to carry out its law on its soil”.

The solicitor general said Nauru was a sovereign state that could not be bound to accept people Australia transferred to the island. He conceded that an application for Nauru’s special regional processing visa could only be made by an Australian officer but Nauru determined whether to accept it and what conditions to impose.

When the chief justice, Robert French, suggested that the visa “didn’t come out of the sky”, Gleeson replied that the critical point was that Australia did not determine the conditions.

Gleeson denied the plaintiff’s arguments that detention on Nauru could be described as arbitrary, saying it was associated with the purpose of processing refugee claims and, if successful, people would “graduate to a temporary settlement visa”.

Nauru had the power to relax the requirements for people to remain in the processing centre, he said. “If an Australian official purported to give a direction to a service provider to reject a request to leave the premises the service provider would be entitled to say, ‘I’m exercising a power pursuant to Nauruan law and that must be my guiding touchstone, not simply the dictates of Australia.’”

French asked whether the commonwealth, in the implementation of the arrangements, could be taken to provide “material support necessary for the establishment and maintenance of a detention regime”.

Gleeson said: “The short answer to that is yes.”

Referring to security restraints, Gleeson said: “Our position is it’s a restraint imposed by Nauru capable of relaxation by persons Nauru chooses who operate as Nauru functionaries.”

Gleeson acknowledged the Transfield contract contained references to Australian laws and policies, but added: “Anything the commonwealth and Transfield might agree is naturally subject to the overriding force of the laws of Nauru.”

Transfield’s lawyers were due to give evidence to the court on Thursday in defence of the validity of the contract.

The case began with an application filed on 14 May for an order to prevent the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, from taking steps to return the Bangladeshi woman to Nauru.

In June the Australian government – then led by Tony Abbott – rushed legislation through the federal parliament to retrospectively clarify the commonwealth’s powers to fund regional processing centres.

The legislation – which won support from the Labor party – inserted a new section into the Migration Act, backdated to August 2012, saying the commonwealth may “take, or cause to be taken, any action in relation to” regional processing arrangements.

The new section, known as 198AHA, also declared the commonwealth could “make payments, or cause payments to be made, in relation to the arrangement or the regional processing functions of the country” or “do anything else that is incidental or conducive to the taking of such action or the making of such payments”.

leeson told the court on Thursday the new provisions were designed to satisfy the requirements that arose from the so-called Williams case, which related primarily to the federal government’s funding of school chaplaincy but had broader implications.

“Namely, it works on a theory that it would be within the executive power under section 61 of the constitution for the executive to decide, as it were, to enter the arrangement in the first place,” he said.

“Here is parliament saying, ‘You may go ahead and do everything you need to perform that arrangement which you’ve considered appropriate to enter.’”

Gleeson emphasised that although the legislation gave the Australian government the capacity and authority to undertake such actions, it could not override Nauruan law.

:barf:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Rhys Muldoon once told me they all used to tease the deaf presenter

Like, be talking to her and then put their hands over their mouths and say "gently caress you" or something

Muldoon's a weird guy, it might just'a been him

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Guys my girlfriend is floating the idea of moving to Hobart because its cheaper to live there. I understand that there is bugger all work there and that most people who grow up there actually move to the mainland for a better quality of life.

Can someone please elaborate on why this would be good/bad either from their experiences or second hand info?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Laserface posted:

Can someone please elaborate on why this would be good/bad either from their experiences or second hand info?

I think the bass player from the Violent Femmes runs the museum of modern art there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
It would be awesome if the hc said you can't outsource migration detention to a third country without very specific enabling legislation.

But a) then they would just make the legislation and b) the hc isn't going to say that anyway.

• Locked thread