Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
That was a really weird relationship. I hope it wasn't typical of the era. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember getting Star Surgeon because one of the aliens from it was in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials and looked and sounded really interesting, but just couldn't get into the book.

There are actually a number of space opera books I read mainly because an alien from them was illustrated in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials. Great gateway scifi book.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Does anyone else remember the story about the space dentist that saves the universe? I can't remember for sure but I think Piers Anthony wrote it in his pre-pedo days.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Washout posted:

Piers Anthony

Washout posted:

pre-pedo days

I think you have him confused with somebody else.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

I think you have him confused with somebody else.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688097057/qid=1128391115/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-3733786-4844738?v=glance&s=books

Reviews.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

No, I mean that Piers Anthony didn't have any pre-pedo days; all of his days are pedo days.

Edit: Also Jesus loving Christ that loving book has 35% five star reviews.

quote:

By Amazon Customer on June 6, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
This one book -- of all I've ever read -- is the most inticing, erotic novel ever written. Anthony goes out of his "usual" style to write this one precious gem.
Firefly is not just your average "horror story" or "erotica". It moves carefully, intermingling both to create a book that is extremely provocative without being dirty.
I suggest this book to every reader I know.

quote:

By Kimberly Bessent on June 14, 2009
This is a fantastic novel. And Piers Anthony took quite a leap to simply write about the issues within. Sure he may have glorified a bit of good ole pedophilia, but he took the issue and turned it into something personable. The people who find this novel filth are simply ignorant to the subject matter at hand. This is, by far, one of my favorite reads and I feel that anyone with an open mind needs to read it. It is fantastic on all formats of review.

quote:

By A customer on February 9, 1999
A lot of people seem to take offense to this book, but what they fail to realize is that it shows truth in it's sexual content. It's not pretty (the truth never is) but Anthony did a great job of illustrating it. I read this entire book in a few hours. I couldn't put it down! A must-read!

quote:

Anthony's most Erotic book! Good reading with the wife!
By A customer on August 24, 1995
A different approach by Anthony. Not the normal Wiz-Bang of
his other novels. Erotic, and appealing.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 8, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Pre-paedo days, though? That's not Our Piers.

So the impression I'm getting from this thread is that Sector General is unironic Garth Marenghi's Doctor Rick Dagless MD In Space?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mustang posted:

I just started the Culture series with Player of Games last week and finished Use of Weapons today. God drat. For some reason before I ever read any of the Culture series I never imagined it to be as dark as it is, and I love it. Should I go ahead and start Consider Phlebas or go read some other Culture novel next?

Totally up to you, it's all good. Consider Phlebas is overall probably the weakest Culture novel, but the Idiran war is a pretty major part of the setting. Also, if you like dark and nasty, then it's got some real treats for you.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cythereal posted:

Anyone familiar with Roger MacBride Allen's books? I picked up The Depths of Time from a bargain bin and enjoyed it well enough. Not great but fine for $5 and Amazon says there are two more in the series. Anyone know if they're worth ordering if I liked the first one?

He has a couple of space opera books that I loved a lot. The Torch of Honor and Rogue Powers, later collected into an omnibus collection with the exceedingly-generic title Allies and Aliens. He also did a book called The Modular Man about loading brains into computers that's pretty great.

He also did a series called The Hunted Earth about a wormhole network buried inside planets. Was thinking about that a lot with the Pluto pictures, since the first book is called The Ring of Charon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oTHi posted:

I like Sector General, apart from the 50s misogyny.

I just finished reading all four Skylark books by E E Smith. Very 30s science, predating the Standard Model, with casual racism and sexism. His 'good' character is also pretty cavalier about genociding a race, trillions and trillions of lives.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that when Spinrad wrote The Iron Dream, E. E. Smith was one of the authors he had in mind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

I'm glad that between Expanse and OMW we are spoilt for space opera.

The only bad thing about Expanse is now we have to wait for the next book. (I hate it when books end on giant cliffhangers. :mad:)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah wtf was that honestly. Expanse Nemesis Games Spoilers I was so down with the conceit introduced at the beginning of the novel: don't go looking for spooky alien poo poo to explain space ships disappearing, humans by themselves are enough to have crazy space drama with. Then: boom, space aliens responsible for crazy space poo poo. Still a great book, but I really liked the idea that just humans being humans was enough of an explanation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Yeah wtf was that honestly. Expanse Nemesis Games Spoilers I was so down with the conceit introduced at the beginning of the novel: don't go looking for spooky alien poo poo to explain space ships disappearing, humans by themselves are enough to have crazy space drama with. Then: boom, space aliens responsible for crazy space poo poo. Still a great book, but I really liked the idea that just humans being humans was enough of an explanation.

Come on, the aliens attacking was telegraphed practically from the beginning of the book. I just didn't expect the book to end right when they start eating battleships. Books stopping at the best part are the worst. :colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
In sector general's universe the way the heros become supreme ET doctors is via taking recorded tapes of the brains of great alien doctors. Its really how a huge multi-species hospital can operate (heh).

Sector General Series posted:

"As for the girls," he went on, a sardonic edge in his voice, "you have noticed by this time that the female Earth-human DBDG has a rather peculiar mind. One of its peculiarities is a depp, sex-based mental fastidiousness. No matter what they say they will not, repeat not, allow alien beings to apparently take over their pretty little brains. If such should happen, severe mental damage would result. No again. Off."

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Washout posted:

Does anyone else remember the story about the space dentist that saves the universe? I can't remember for sure but I think Piers Anthony wrote it in his pre-pedo days.
Hey, I think I remember that story! I didn't know that was him; I was in maybe middle school when I read that, and I didn't even care who wrote what because I just needed words to put in front of my eyes.

I don't recall them saving the universe, although I do recall that the plot twist at the end was the guy realizing that he was actually a slave laborer who would spend the rest of his life being traded from one weird alien race to another.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm still enjoying the Sector General books, one book involved surgery on a patient the size of a continent using warships. Was cool. The continent sized creature had serious cancer due to some rear end in a top hat (but comic) water aliens who were very pleased with the lovely nuclear weapons they built.

The water aliens have to keep moving to stay alive, so procreation involves two of them rolling past each other shouting reasons to copulate at each other right before they collide. This makes the water aliens really loud and boastful as a species.

Around book 3 the author stops hating women as much. I can't say I miss the paragraph-and-a-half describing how women really suck at their jobs every book. The author at one point even talked about how its not universal that women suck, but specifically human women who suck the most in the universe.....

O'Mara is a hilarious proto-Dr.House and the closest the series gets to an antagonist. One of my favorite little bits from the books is that every species describes themselves as 'human' and this can get really confusing so they have this elaborate alien species categorization system.

It's so star trek it hurts. Loose "Federation" of planets, loads of aliens, a 'star fleet' as a science/medical/police force, telepathic aliens.

The only irksome thing is that the main character (Conway) gets his achievements reset at the beginning of each book. No one seems to remember that he saved billions of lives and ended a spacewar... The main character is a galactic hero but still everyone treats him like poo poo. Though he can summon spacefleets and fleet commanders to do his bidding on a moment's notice...

There are some really neat pacifist sci fi ideas, like little intelligent aliens taking huge bird creatures and turning them into organic space colony ships which is slowly discovered via surgery on one of the huge bird creatures.

pre:
Sector General 1—Hospital Station
Sector General 2—Star Surgeon
Sector General 3—Major Operation
Sector General 4—Ambulance Ship <!-- I'm just starting this one -->
Sector General 5—Sector General
Sector General 6—Star Healer
Sector General 7—Code Blue Emergency
Sector General 8—The Genocidal Healer
Sector General 9—The Galactic Gourmet

quote:

“Why are doctors always hungry?” asked the CC officer.

“Gentlemen,” said the Captain tiredly.

“Speaking personally,” Conway said, “it is because my entire adult life had been devoted to the unselfish service of others and my wide powers of healing and surgical skill instantly available at any time of the day or night. The tenets of my great and altruistic profession demand no less. These sacrifices-the long hours, inadequate sleep and irregular meals-I suffer willingly and without complaint. If I should think of food more often than seems normal for lesser beings it is because some medical emergency may arise to make the next meal uncertain and eating now will enable me to bring a greater degree of skill-even laymen like yourselves must appreciate the effect of malnutrition on mind and muscle- to the aid of my patient.”

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Hey, I think I remember that story! I didn't know that was him; I was in maybe middle school when I read that, and I didn't even care who wrote what because I just needed words to put in front of my eyes.

I don't recall them saving the universe, although I do recall that the plot twist at the end was the guy realizing that he was actually a slave laborer who would spend the rest of his life being traded from one weird alien race to another.

No saving the Universe, just himself from a robot djinn ("None but I shall do thee die!") and then saving his dental tech from a horrible, prolonged laser death (Death of a thousand flashes) when the butterfly alien leader she was administrating healthy tooth practices to died from exertion; he time-travelled far too backwards so he could have perfect teeth.

It was a weird book.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Heads up. The Expanse VR app added Tyco Station.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
If you like the Sector General books (and I think everyone should at least try them - they are so very 50s in some ways, like the misogyny, but quite unusual in their pacifism) - then try finding a copy of The Complete Venus Equilateral by George O. Smith. It's really, really 40s-50s SF at beginning (the titular space station is an interplanetary relay station between Earth and Venus) but goes in some surprising directions with technology in the later stories, ending up with a kind of post-scarcity semi-utopia that seems way ahead of its time. Well worth pushing through to the end.

Washout posted:

Prostho Plus I believe. I've never read it, but it's by Anthony and about the only SF-dentistry story I've ever heard of.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 19, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hobnob posted:

Prostho Plus I believe. I've never read it, but it's by Anthony and about the only SF-dentistry story I've ever heard of.

Hey that's the one! I'll be damned.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

The new Vorkosigan novel is out in eARC form from the Baen site. Being on holiday this week, I read it today. Thoughts (there's no major spoilers, really):

It's about what family means, even about what the very definition of family is. Reproductive technology as a force of change. That's not unusual for Bujold, I guess, but this is done well. loving miles away from Space Opera though, heh heh. Resonated a lot with me anyway

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I remember getting The Galactic Gourmet from a dollar store back in middle school. Reading about a chef trying to take on the ultimate cooking challenge (hospital food sucking) was pretty great and lead me to the more mainline Sector general books. The book does get extremely heavy handed in the second half.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The new Vorkosigan novel is out in eARC form from the Baen site. Being on holiday this week, I read it today. Thoughts (there's no major spoilers, really):

Thanks for the reminder, bought it right sway. Ugh, so many free Kratman and Ringo books in my account. It makes me feel dirty (the Liaden ones I might read though).

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's about what family means, even about what the very definition of family is. Reproductive technology as a force of change. That's not unusual for Bujold, I guess, but this is done well. loving miles away from Space Opera though, heh heh. Resonated a lot with me anyway

Thanks for the reminder as well, I need something that moves more than 5 mph after slogging through the last Safehold novel. It wasn't bad, but there just wasn't a lot of movement. I keep seeing Weber's writing process as setting up a very large Domino Rally; hours of set up and maybe 45 seconds of action.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Another 15$ worth of electrons. Shouldn't have downloaded it at 11pm on a school night.

I find it interesting that the scale of Vorkosigan novels keeps shrinking. No more planetary/interplanetary stakes. Which I can appreciate, and is nice that you can still write a perfectly good story where death of tens of thousands, or even fives is really on the line.

I kept expecting it to ramp up much bigger than it did, maybe that was the point.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

I kept expecting it to ramp up much bigger than it did, maybe that was the point.

Yeah, the Vorkosigan family focus narrowing down to what is really important to them as a family. Having said that

there's plenty of stuff left as available material for a next-generation adventure. Miles and Ekaterin's eldest pair, the general's daughter, the Cetagandan plumber boy. There's no way that the last of these isn't forward planning - he's a future drain expert!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

tribbledirigible posted:

Thanks for the reminder as well, I need something that moves more than 5 mph after slogging through the last Safehold novel. It wasn't bad, but there just wasn't a lot of movement. I keep seeing Weber's writing process as setting up a very large Domino Rally; hours of set up and maybe 45 seconds of action.

I read it on my kindle, so I was pretty surprised that the story just ended with 15%/2 hours left to read. The rest was a list of characters. I was just thinking "And now the payoff" :argh:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is the story in any way visibly near concluding yet?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

tribbledirigible posted:

This is just a sign of bad editing. Every drat time some author starts to be popular the original publisher loses editorial control and usually the books get worse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Washout posted:

This is just a sign of bad editing. Every drat time some author starts to be popular the original publisher loses editorial control and usually the books get worse.

I always thought the big selling point of Safehold was "We got Weber a real editor to cut out the bloat this time!" :psyduck: At least for the first book.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deptfordx posted:

It doesn't seem like he could drag it out much longer really, at least not without giving the Church side some amazing leap forward.

Darkrenown posted:

I read it on my kindle, so I was pretty surprised that the story just ended with 15%/2 hours left to read. The rest was a list of characters. I was just thinking "And now the payoff" :argh:

I had the same reaction last night when I finished it. I thought I had at least another days worth of reading to go when.. list of characters. ugh.

Did anyone else with the hardback have terrible binding issues? Mine is literally falling apart and I always use book-marks and never lay it down while open. I was going to email TOR, but they don't have anything but snail-mail contact info on their web site, so I will bitch through Amazon instead I suppose.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

chrisoya posted:

I always thought the big selling point of Safehold was "We got Weber a real editor to cut out the bloat this time!" :psyduck: At least for the first book.

But when an author gets big I'm sure they must have more control over the final product, like edit approval or something, and for 90% of writers this is a bad thing.

Ironically all the self published stuff I've read is the reverse and the editing gets better as time goes on.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just wish authors would finish their damned series instead of just dropping them to work on something else. Weber never did finish the Hell's Gate books. :argh:

And yeah, I actually like the Safehold books but by this point it's been established for 3-4 books now that the Church is irredeemable and imcompetent and other than maybe the treasury guy growing a spine Weber is running out of plot room.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

chrisoya posted:

that was only true for book 1, unfortunately

WarLocke posted:

And yeah, I actually like the Safehold books but by this point it's been established for 3-4 books now that the Church is irredeemable and imcompetent and other than maybe the treasury guy growing a spine Weber is running out of plot room.

I maintain he still could pull something interesting out of this if he'd be willing to drop long and tedious battle passages and do something with his characters, but it's clear he won't. From the snippets posted prior to publication, I thought he was going to tease something between Merlin and Aivah but no it just fizzled into nothingness. Or the fact that at this point half of Charis is hooked into this sweet com net, and someone should have noticed by now and there should be domestic problems they gotta sneak their way past or whatever, but no. Or that they might get it wrong and have to kill someone who hears ~the truth~ but again, no. It's taken eight books for him to finally get off the pot with Thirsk and even then it's just the teaser chapter for book nine so I don't even know what to say.

basically any interesting concept you have involving interpersonal conflict or character growth, Weber didn't, and it's a drat shame.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 25, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Psion posted:

basically any interesting concept you have involving interpersonal conflict or character growth, Weber didn't, and it's a drat shame.

Even though it was cliche as hell I was a bit tickled at the introduction of Nimue in the last book. There's a lot of potential for inter-character drama and comparisons between her and Merlin, therefore Weber won't explore any of it. :negative:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WarLocke posted:

Even though it was cliche as hell I was a bit tickled at the introduction of Nimue in the last book. There's a lot of potential for inter-character drama and comparisons between her and Merlin, therefore Weber won't explore any of it. :negative:

You'd also think that at that point someone would have sat down and asked themselves how they'd identify any other PICAs running around if they're acting more low-key than Merlin has. But that would be an interesting plot hook and an obstacle to the Empire gamely marching towards victory without defeat or setback or wrong choice or error.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

WarLocke posted:

It would have been pretty interesting if they uploaded Nimue into a PICA and she acted like an officer fighting a losing war to the brink of extinction. So, lots of PTSD over the loss of her friends and loved ones and a lot of :black101: towards the enemy.

Sadly, this is Weber, and so every character has roughly the same personality.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's a bit of an off recommendation for this thread - The House of Rumour, by Jake Arnott. Since while it's not a space opera itself, it has a number of space opera authors as characters in it, both fictional ones and real ones (Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, a few others I forget) and the plot involves (among many other things) UFO cults, alien abductions, the production of a movie that's basically a fictional version of The Day the Earth Stood Still, and related stuff like the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Operation Paperclip, Nazi astrology, and Ian Fleming's conceptualization of James Bond.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Deptfordx posted:

I can't really see the war vs the Church lasting more than another 2 books. Maybe 3 if there's some huge setback with an Archangel showing up or church-hitler getting control of the bombardment system. But then that still doesn't deal with the Gbaba, which could be 3-6 mores books. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a higher tech "unification war" later on, with maybe WWI/WWII tech before that with another 3-6 books.

WarLocke posted:

I just wish authors would finish their damned series instead of just dropping them to work on something else. Weber never did finish the Hell's Gate books. :argh:

The Hell's Gate books were really bad though. Like, really awful, and I like pretty much everything else Weber has done. I do wish he'd finish the Mutineer's Moon series (which oddly include a one book proto-Safehold), or if him and Ringo could finish Prince Rodger - although it seems like there's another book in progress there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wait, I thought both of those were finished? Three books for the Fifth Imperium and four for March to the Stars.

• Locked thread