Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Sony's website says the CPU is a "Quad ARM A7, 1.2 Ghz" but as I have literally no idea what that is it could well be a Snapdragon 400. :iiam: (to me).

I'm in the UK too, so I'm not sure what use I'd have for NFC in a watch at the moment, but I live in hope that we'll get Android Pay sometime this decade. Thank you for all your effort listing the differences between the two watches for me, it's much appreciated.

Both the Snapdragon 400 and the Broadcom BCM23550 have ARM Cortex A7 quad core CPUs.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

This is the first Android smartwatch based on the Broadcom system-on-chip (SoC) platform which includes a 1.2GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor (BCM23550)

The only reason the Sony smartwatch has NFC and the others don't is because it's built into that Broadcom SoC.

:ms:

Edit: Now for a real mystery: Why does the wifi on my GWR actually work? Isn't it missing the antenna?

Double Edit: Oh.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g-watch-r-will-gain-wi-fi-functionality-thanks-android-wear-update

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Sony's website says the CPU is a "Quad ARM A7, 1.2 Ghz" but as I have literally no idea what that is it could well be a Snapdragon 400. :iiam: (to me).
This is an accurate description of both the S400 and the BCM23550, so, umm :iiam: indeed.

Edit: Missed that there was a new page.

KillHour posted:

The only reason the Sony smartwatch has NFC and the others don't is because it's built into that Broadcom SoC.

:ms:
Right. The S400 says that it supports NFC but I'm guessing that means that it can do so with a separate chip.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 4, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Just tell me what percentage greys you want from this and which compass point each is at.

(Aside: Googling "grey shades" to find this gave me a lot of results about a certain film.)

40% at north to totally black at south. From Googling it seems the display is 360x360, but obviously the flat tire accounts for some percentage of the totality of the circle so maybe it doesn't have to be TOTALLY totally black at the bottom? I'm sorry, I know I lack the language to properly express this. :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Selling a new in box 42mm black 360

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744987&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That was quick, any reason why you are getting rid of it? Also, why sell it at this point when you should still be within a return window?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
This is a different one. Still factory sealed

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Dammit the back of my 360 is starting to crack even though I've only ever used the standard leather strap.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dissss posted:

Dammit the back of my 360 is starting to crack even though I've only ever used the standard leather strap.

Mine as well, is it a common issue?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The wait for my Rufus Cuff is killing me, so I got a 360 from eBay for $90. I'm hoping I can sell it for the same (or more!) in the UK in a couple of months. Looking forward to trying it out, I've already picked up some futuristic watch faces. Are there any tips for conserving battery, like for example disabling the heart/footstep monitor?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

uPen posted:

Apparently it is, especially if you have smallish wrists

Alan_Shore posted:

The wait for my Rufus Cuff is killing me, so I got a 360 from eBay for $90. I'm hoping I can sell it for the same (or more!) in the UK in a couple of months. Looking forward to trying it out, I've already picked up some futuristic watch faces. Are there any tips for conserving battery, like for example disabling the heart/footstep monitor?

I don't even know that you can disable those things. The face you use seems to have a big effect on how long that battery lasts - some are far more draining than others.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

uPen posted:

Yes. They will RMA it no questions asked.

dissss posted:

Apparently it is, especially if you have smallish wrists

I have giant wrists and mine cracked.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was reading Engadget and noticed that the Zenwatch 2 launched today on the Google store, and my poor impulse control lead me to purchase one just now. I have been wanting to get some sort of smart watch for a while, and since switching from an iPhone to an LG G4 the reduced cost in Android Wear devices makes it much easier to do. I can justify $150 on a Zenwatch, but not double or more for an Apple Watch.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Are these cracked 360s first or second generation? I was considering getting a 2nd gen, but not if this is an ongoing problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Are these cracked 360s first or second generation? I was considering getting a 2nd gen, but not if this is an ongoing problem.

First gen. the first gen the bands clipped into the plastic back. the 2nd gen has metal lugs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
i am having serious battery issues with my 360 second gen. The most i've gotten is ~12 hours. Is it the twitter notifications that are killing it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

i am having serious battery issues with my 360 second gen. The most i've gotten is ~12 hours. Is it the twitter notifications that are killing it?

Are you subscribed to @realDonaldTrump?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Your phone should show what is using battery

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I've been playing with my new Moto 360 (as in old second hand Moto 360) and I'm enjoying it. Got the Minimal&Elegant face, the Delayed Lock app, Coffee, but I was wondering if there are any more recommended apps I should be using? I mainly got it for notifications but I was just curious if there's anything cool I missed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

torgeaux posted:

That seems crazy to me. My 46mm gets a reproducible 24 hours per charge, ambient on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

That seems crazy to me. My 46mm gets a reproducible 24 hours per charge, ambient on.

Yeah, here at 7pm I'm sitting at 70% battery left with ambient on.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK, one last question about the old Moto 360 : when I flick my wrist, the screen comes on, regardless of whether I've turned wrist motions on or off in the Settings menu. That's not right, is it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

OK, one last question about the old Moto 360 : when I flick my wrist, the screen comes on, regardless of whether I've turned wrist motions on or off in the Settings menu. That's not right, is it?

No, that is correct. Wrist motions are the ability to cycle through cards by flicking your wrist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I may be wrong but I think wrist motions are for scrolling through cards. You might need a different option to keep the display off, which might not exist? I guess you could use theatre mode for that though.

BTW battery is a non-issue for the Huatch in case anyone is curious. I'm at 9 hours use with 81% left.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh right! Well that could definitely be explained better. It's nice having it come on but I'm sure being able to switch it off would conserve battery. Thanks all!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Don Lapre posted:

Your phone should show what is using battery

Where? In the android wear app?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Where? In the android wear app?

Yes. Wear app - gear at top - tap on device name - watch battery

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, here at 7pm I'm sitting at 70% battery left with ambient on.

Today I was out from 11am until 8pm with frequent use. Had 72% left.

I really expected much worse performance than this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's amazing what a modern SoC and slightly larger battery will do. Honestly, I think the power savings of AMOLED are overemphasized at this point. The LED backlight of such a small display can't consume that much more power.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Swapped my moto 360 for a huawei. Holy moly it's so much nicer and higher quality feeling. Don't miss the light sensor either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rastor posted:

Yes. Wear app - gear at top - tap on device name - watch battery

Thanks. Didn't occur to me to click on the device for some reason. I'll check it out tomorrow for battery use.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

Swapped my moto 360 for a huawei. Holy moly it's so much nicer and higher quality feeling. Don't miss the light sensor either.

One of us... My only criticisms are the aforementioned link strap sizing issues and not as good ok google recognition. Like not bad but my N6 will hear me before my watch as I raise my voice, whereas on LG watches I could whisper.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

One of us... My only criticisms are the aforementioned link strap sizing issues and not as good ok google recognition. Like not bad but my N6 will hear me before my watch as I raise my voice, whereas on LG watches I could whisper.

I'm using the leather band which is very comfortable. OK Google seems to work better than on the 360 as well

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh right! Well that could definitely be explained better. It's nice having it come on but I'm sure being able to switch it off would conserve battery. Thanks all!

You can go into theatre mode and the screen won't turn on unless you press the side button. But it disables itself after each time.

Edit: duh didn't notice that was suggested already by Reverse Centaur

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LastInLine posted:

Today I was out from 11am until 8pm with frequent use. Had 72% left.

I really expected much worse performance than this.

Always on screen or not? I'd be down to ~40-50% after that long on mine.

Mine seems to drain about 5% an hour with the screen on.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 8, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to prevent my watch from vibrating when the alarm in my phone goes off? I tried blocking notifications from the watch app but that doesnt do anything. Moto X Style and 360.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

For some reason this setting doesn't exist on the watch but if you go into the Android Wear app on your phone), cog at the top, your device, there's an option named "Tilt to wake screen" which is what you are looking for.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Always on screen or not? I'd be down to ~40-50% after that long on mine.

Mine seems to drain about 5% an hour with the screen on.

Screen is always on.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there anyway to bypass the "Place on Charger" screen when resetting/setting up a 360?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

JayKay posted:

Is there anyway to bypass the "Place on Charger" screen when resetting/setting up a 360?

Swipe left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

I had this exact problem yesterday!

Don Lapre posted:

Swipe left
This is what I found online and it doesn't work, you simply cannot swipe that screen away.

You can, however, simple open Android Wear and start the pairing process and the phone will see it as normal. Once you confirm the pairing that screen will disappear.