Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I am talking about $20 I need to make back

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I doubled my initial investment then got fleeced when Boehner hosed my poo poo up.

What little I have left is Ridin' With Biden (yes to run). My apologies to everyone for being kinda jerky about the whole Biden thing, but I am talking about $20 I need to make back, so having that much money at stake made me a little cuckoo.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a pretty big player over there.

Same but because no one could help themselves from speaking the name that shan't be spoken

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new page reminder that, if you're reading this, announcing would gently caress me to my core in a bad way, joe

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Aliquid posted:

new page reminder that, if you're reading this, announcing would gently caress me to my core in a bad way, joe

Yep

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

CNN apparently (according to The Hill, anyway) reporting that Biden will "speak with his family" over the weekend about the run, who better yell "Jeez Joe you already said you weren't going to the first debate, do you really want to drag us through an election cycle when there's no freaking chance you'll take the White House this late into the game?" because this is just ridiculous.

How it's even possible that the market's back to the usual 60 YES - 40 NO equilibrium at this point is beyond me.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

How it's even possible that the Republican front-runners are an orange insult comic with a squirrel on his head, a black human Ambien, and a woman the market values at negative $3 billion who got housed in the only election she's ever been in is beyond me. Welcome to the 2016 election.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lmfao McCarthy

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Holy hell, anyone who bought McCarthy No low is gonna make a killing.
Any anyone with Yes is gonna lose their shirt.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

lmfao McCarthy

I am so so so glad I bought 50 NO shares on a whim yesterday when I figured there'd be a little movement because of the Chaffetz/Webster crap.

This is terrible for the country but it's okay for my wallet.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 23, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I completely stayed out of the Speaker markets because I don't have time to do the research on all the nutty buggery the House gets up to but drat if that wasn't a fun slam of the door to watch.

EDIT: Also LOL at the entire Majority Leader market turning to NO because no one actually has the needed plurality.

Combed Thunderclap has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Oct 8, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Now I wish I hadn't cashed out of the Speaker Market after just making a couple bucks.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I completely stayed out of the Speaker markets because I don't have time to do the research on all the nutty buggery the House gets up to but drat if that wasn't a fun slam of the door to watch.

EDIT: Also LOL at the entire Majority Leader market turning to NO because no one actually has the needed plurality.

Yeah this plus it being a closed-door vote just screams shenanigans and I didn't have the time to really research it. If I had to I would've been 'Yes' on him though so I'm glad I didn't touch it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
It blows my mind that anyone can say the Republicans aren't a total circus with a straight face

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I am so so so glad I bought 50 NO shares on a whim yesterday when I figured there'd be a little movement because of the Chaffetz/Webster crap.
I almost did this yesterday, for the same reason. Now I really wish I had.

pathetic little tramp posted:

This is terrible for the country but it's okay for my wallet.
Isn't that that the GOP's mission statement?

And in more Bloomberg presidential craziness: it looks like someone is trying to buy 5,000 shares of Bloomberg YES at 9c. I was happy to take the NO side of some of those.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had McCarthy YES up until a week ago and I still have no idea why I sold since he seemed like such a sure bet. Yikes.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol I'm glad I got out of that nonsense.

I'm excited to lose 4 dollars tomorrow when the Pope doesn't get the peace prize though!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

lmfao McCarthy

Wanamingo posted:

Me, I just wish I had bought in when it was 10 cents instead of 27.

Quoting myself to say that literally just last night, I was so sure he wasn't going to win that I almost sold everything else I had just so I could stick all my eggs in that one basket.

Really wish I had done that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I want to grab some Merkel Peace Prize YES shares, but I don't want to have to stay up until midnight or later waiting for the price to rise so I can sell them off (I'm not trusting the Swedes to actually pick her). :smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the best part about PredictIt is coming here to speculate, ugh today was hard

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There's a bunch of new Democratic Debate markets that opened and I couldn't talk to anyone about them! They all have Biden as a participant (as well as one about whether he will participate).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The markets for the Democratic Debate are up now, if you didn't know. Biden comments are already promising to perhaps make these markets interesting. CNN Debate rules let Biden change his mind and jump in at almost any time apparently. So of course that's the Biden master plan, wait until the last minute and then jump in and just blow Hillary and Bernie out of the water with the sneak attack. So the Biden wins, gets the most speaking time, and loses are all likely to get wonky.

Do we know how Predictit are going to do the incremental contract linking starting tomorrow? All I saw was new contracts starting tomorrow are linked and outstanding ones will incrementally be linked. It'd be real nice if today's markets get linked soon after.

Edit: I really hope the Biden Yes running people jump on the "cheap" yes votes on his participation. Drive down that No price guys.

It is very tempting to believe that Biden's been reading the Onion's articles and the inner Diamond Joe has slowly been growing in power, finally winning out some time next week. Just as the Democratic Debate starts, and Hillary is asked the first question the roar of a Trans-Am engine can be heard from outside the venue. Hillary's Secret Service detail all get a panicked expression on their face as their fingers go to their ear to better hear their radios. The stage doors are blown off their hinges as Biden drives onto the stage, Journey blaring from his sound system. For the rest of the debate Biden sits on the hood of his car, answering his question through the loud speaker attached to his CB radio.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently that draft Biden PAC put together a TV commercial trying to get Biden to run, and today he asked them to not air it. This is a sign that he's leaning towards entering the race. :allears:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Those "best impact" markets are even worse than the regular polling markets.

Speaking time is a good one, though. Frontrunner almost always gets the most time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm going to need a drink while I watch the debates, and I can't think of a better way to get it than picking up No shares in BIDEN.CNNDEMDEBATE for 90 cents a piece, since he's literally confirmed that he won't be there.

Besides picking up No shares in BIDENRUN, of course. :allears:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Apparently that draft Biden PAC put together a TV commercial trying to get Biden to run, and today he asked them to not air it. This is a sign that he's leaning towards entering the race. :allears:

To be fair, it was entirely about his dead wife and children

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I think the biggest takeaway is that the Draft Biden folks really are acting independently and really are desperate to get him into the race. It's not just some sort of 11th dimensional chess game to build up hype secretly managed by Biden himself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stereotype posted:

Jesus, I'd hate to see their ads if they didn't like the guy.

Edit: Spending $2 on the bet that a lot of people aren't going to read the rules correctly, and when Biden doesn't show up his Yes price for CNNDebate loser will shoot up. If not, I should be able to dump it at worst even due to it being a .98 buy on a sure thing for No.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Oct 9, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Assuming they use the same 'your name is spoken so you get another 30 seconds to talk' rule Hillary will almost certainly get the most speaking time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm going to buy a dollar worth of 5c Biden Debate shares to hedge my Biden NO shares because I'm a coward.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jan 23, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'd like to debate with you about Biden's run chances but that just seems cruel since I don't have any money on it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

.40 Biden NO still available, I'm sitting at 60% of my portfolio on Biden NO at .41 but I don't have the money to buy in. I have the feeling November is going to be a good month for establishment dems

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Aww the pope didn't win the peace prize :(

That poo poo resolved fast too! Everything went to the max in less than 20 minutes

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'd like to debate with you about Biden's run chances but that just seems cruel since I don't have any money on it.

It is really cool how the prediction markets make you put your money where your mouth is.

Like, I was really sure Merkel wasn't going to take the Peace Prize, but clearly I wasn't actually so sure that it would make me buy NO shares.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, and I had none of the above at 11 cents. Of course if I hadn't gotten out of the market a couple days ago I'm sure the Scandinavians would have chosen differently.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Max bet on Biden NO on the debate

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Seems like it's free money to take NO on the biggest loser of the debate, if you bet Chaffee, O Malley or Webb. They're barely above 0%, they have no room to fall. Like, Clinton or Sanders could decrease due to polling error and it's worse than their maximum fall.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

District Selectman posted:

Seems like it's free money to take NO on the biggest loser of the debate, if you bet Chaffee, O Malley or Webb. They're barely above 0%, they have no room to fall. Like, Clinton or Sanders could decrease due to polling error and it's worse than their maximum fall.

Do they define "biggest loser" in terms of absolute polling losses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jewel Repetition posted:

Do they define "biggest loser" in terms of absolute polling losses?

Yes.

• Locked thread