Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We're always angry about Munchkin, Cosmic Encounters, Monopoly and a few other old classics, as well as newer games like Dead of Winter. It doesn't always appear explicitly (though often it does), but the anger is there. We do like a good Vlaada/Dominion fellatio too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Only when the hivemind became self-aware did the funhavers start to worry.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BonHair posted:

We're always angry about Munchkin, Cosmic Encounters, Monopoly and a few other old classics, as well as newer games like Dead of Winter. It doesn't always appear explicitly (though often it does), but the anger is there. We do like a good Vlaada/Dominion fellatio too though.

Forgot CAH and that game with the cats

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainRightful posted:

I can't think of any other board game that handles this situation like Game of Thrones.
Well, there's Diplomacy, which the GoT board game is based on.

quote:

is there anything similar out there with a shorter play time and that plays well with less than 6 people?
But it suffers from exactly these two drawbacks very badly, much worse than GoT. I've heard Lifeboats is a quicker Diplomacy but it doesn't look very interesting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bosushi! posted:

I'm just glad we're past the point of telling people to set fire to things they enjoy.

We are?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQj1IItrsQw

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't enjoying that particular game, but i'll need to send the video to CSI to make sure. They can shout 'ENHANCE' and zoom in on the munchkin box burning.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Only when the hivemind became self-aware did the funhavers start to worry.

The hivemind hasn't passed the Turing Test yet. They struggle with the f-word question!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

That's not telling someone to set fire to something they enjoy.

That's someone setting something on fire and enjoying it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

and that game with the cats

Which one? The lovely card game with no strategy, or the lovely card game with no strategy?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kai Tave posted:

Which one? The lovely card game with no strategy, or the lovely card game with no strategy?

Yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spiel day 1 report:

Convinced someone to buy Cthulhu Wars. Sandy Petersen owes me his soul.

Played A Study in Emerald 2E. Bought it immediately after. It's good.

Picked up Small City because Rahdo, and Kemet: Ta-Seti because Kemet and there were promos.

Got the Caverna and Orleans mini-expansions and the Orleans upgrade kit, because they're nice. Didn't pick up Eclipse: Black Hole because they sold out by 11, didn't pick up Shadow of the Rift because the box is too deep.

Played Bomarzo. Solid little worker placement game with several paths to victory. Didn't buy because it's not 40 Euro worth of solid.

Played Codenames. It wasn't poo poo, I might buy it later if nobody else in the group does. I AM NO LONGER A MAN. <weeps uncontrollably>

Got Valley of the Kings from AEG because I couldn't remember which Doomtown saddlebags I had and I didn't want to drop 20 on a Pine Box to get a giant carrier bag.

Tomorrow, halls 2 and 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What were the Ta Seti promos?

Also how did you convince someone to drop $150+ on Cthulhu Wars? Like I like the game and all, but it's a haaaard sell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is this thread literally ever not mad about something?

This thread has taught me that nothing enrages goons like saying you enjoy playing (a game they don't like), and that calling a game "random" is like the ultimate board-gamer insult you can use.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That reminds me, has anyone played Small City and wouldn't mind sharing thoughts on it? I'm curious but I haven't gotten a good feel for it from reading around or the pictures.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

What were the Ta Seti promos?

Three additional skill tiles and a bonus power tile for each colour. The extra power tiles are:

Blue 1 - your units are immune to non-combat damage.

White 2 - after combat you may return one of your Divine Intervention cards to your hand.

Red 2 - during the Night phase you may advance one Priest on the Path to Ta-Seti.

Black 2 - during the Night phase you gain a permanent Temple VP if you control only one Temple.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

Three additional skill tiles and a bonus power tile for each colour. The extra power tiles are:

White 2 - after combat you may return one of your Divine Intervention cards to your hand.

Red 2 - during the Night phase you may advance one Priest on the Path to Ta-Seti.

Black 2 - during the Night phase you gain a permanent Temple VP if you control only one Temple.

Welp, hope these shift with the first batch of the expansion. Otherwise shaking fists, etc. Also returning a Divine Intervention card seems kinda...powerful? Isn't that like a permanent +2 bonus to strength if you get that card? Or free rain of fire? Or etc etc?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

This thread has taught me that nothing enrages goons like saying you enjoy playing (a game they don't like), and that calling a game "random" is like the ultimate board-gamer insult you can use.
Love Letter is random as gently caress and still a good game. Randomness is only important in relation to length and that's the only time that it matters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Welp, hope these shift with the first batch of the expansion. Otherwise shaking fists, etc. Also returning a Divine Intervention card seems kinda...powerful? Isn't that like a permanent +2 bonus to strength if you get that card? Or free rain of fire? Or etc etc?

I will ask. It's definitely a combat phase action, but it also has the cartouche symbol so it may just be that if you play a cartouche during combat you get it back.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

Man I very badly want these.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Jedit posted:

Played A Study in Emerald 2E. Bought it immediately after. It's good.

Had you played the first edition? If so, how does it compare -- better, worse, just different?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't enjoying that particular game, but i'll need to send the video to CSI to make sure. They can shout 'ENHANCE' and zoom in on the munchkin box burning.

It took me way too long to realize you weren't sending the video to CoolStuffInc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

werdnam posted:

Had you played the first edition? If so, how does it compare -- better, worse, just different?

I hadn't played 1E, but the demonstrator had and he says the new version is better described as Study in Emerald Lite. Apparently the most significant deviation is that city control is no longer separate from buying cards - each of the nine stacks has one City card, one Royalty card and one regular card for each player (3 in a two-player game).

The whole thing played out in an hour and the lone Royalist won by a mile, so being outnumbered isn't an obstacle. I'm more worried that it's easier for the Royalists to win, but as Restorationists we didn't cooperate and the Royalist won off the back of picking up multiple City cards.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't know what the Red 2 one means but the other 3 tiles seem like they belong to a much higher power level than what they're at. Like if i'm not misunderstanding it the Blue 1 tile will make you immune to Red 4's initiative tile.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Immunity to one power tile and two cards in a 35ish card deck isn't an exciting use of one of your 20-30 actions in Kemet so being level one seems fine.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Love Letter is random as gently caress and still a good game. Randomness is only important in relation to length and that's the only time that it matters.

Just because you don't enjoy a two hour coin flip doesn't mean nobody else does.

Fun fact: my phone autocorrected to COIN in the previous sentence.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just because you don't enjoy a two hour coin flip doesn't mean nobody else does.

Fun fact: my phone autocorrected to COIN in the previous sentence.

Hey did you ever get to do that Archipelago game with a bunch of new players? How did it go?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rutibex posted:

It sounds like you where the one getting mad about cardboard. There's no need to be so grumpy when someone is shooting the poo poo with you about their favorite game.

I actually wasn't mad about anything. Someone came in and asked if I wanted to play Cosmic Encounters, I said no, and for some reason they felt the need to ask why not. When i said it was because I don' like the game, their response was literally, "how can you not like Cosmic Encounters?!". This caused the other person to go off on a 10 minute tangent trying to convince me that CE is so good and strategic and everything. I literally said said nothing at all to start that except for, "no I do not want to play that game". I have no idea where everyone got the idea that I was being all "gently caress you and your CI!" from what I wrote. The only thing that made me mad was the person's insistence that I must love the thing she loves.

Seriously, why did everyone jump to the conclusion that I was the mad one when all I was trying to do was relate a weird story about how some nerds just cannot accept it when others do not enjoy the things they enjoy?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

I actually wasn't mad about anything. Someone came in and asked if I wanted to play Cosmic Encounters, I said no, and for some reason they felt the need to ask why not. When i said it was because I don' like the game, their response was literally, "how can you not like Cosmic Encounters?!". This caused the other person to go off on a 10 minute tangent trying to convince me that CE is so good and strategic and everything. I literally said said nothing at all to start that except for, "no I do not want to play that game". I have no idea where everyone got the idea that I was being all "gently caress you and your CI!" from what I wrote.

Seriously, why did everyone jump to the conclusion that I was the mad one when all I was trying to do was relate a weird story about how some nerds just cannot accept it when others do not enjoy the things they enjoy?

quote:

nerds just cannot accept it when others do not enjoy the things they enjoy?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Just returned from day 1 from Essen, tired but satisfied!

Codenames
Played a game with three Germans, it was fun only 15 euro so I straight up bought it.

Between two cities
You draft tiles to build your city, the twist is that you are building two cities at the same time with your neighbours. Your finished cities have to be exactly 4x4 tiles. Every round you draft 2 tiles and confer with your neighbours which piece goes where while they are doing the same. In the end your city with the lowest score will be your score. There are alot of extra tiles so that garuantees replayability. Didn't buy it but might.

New York 1901
I was really looking forward to this, after playing it I don't understand the hype. It felt really flat and way to linear.

Favour of the Pharaoh
It's something like Yatzhee on steroids. You start with three dice and try increase that number by getting certain cards that manipulate the amount of dice and the number of pips on them. It went quick and was fun, I was surprised since I usually don't like dice games. Too bad the price is 50 euro, that's atleast 10 to much for cardboard and dice.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

enigmahfc posted:

I actually wasn't mad about anything. Someone came in and asked if I wanted to play Cosmic Encounters, I said no, and for some reason they felt the need to ask why not. When i said it was because I don' like the game, their response was literally, "how can you not like Cosmic Encounters?!". This caused the other person to go off on a 10 minute tangent trying to convince me that CE is so good and strategic and everything. I literally said said nothing at all to start that except for, "no I do not want to play that game". I have no idea where everyone got the idea that I was being all "gently caress you and your CI!" from what I wrote. The only thing that made me mad was the person's insistence that I must love the thing she loves.

hint: it's the same reason why prada slut is claiming that everybody in the thread is "mad" when he was actually the one calling people names and resorting to fallacies

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

New York 1901
I was really looking forward to this, after playing it I don't understand the hype. It felt really flat and way to linear.

I play tested this while it was in development and it never really worked for me. The designer wanted it to be Ticket to Ride in terms of complexity and I think it mostly hit that. My biggest issue was the same that you found, not enough of a build to the play. Nevertheless, I think it's great Chenier has managed to get it published.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

werdnam posted:

I've played 1E extensively, and I played the ASIE 2E prototype with Martin Wallace at PAX Australia last year. I'd say generally that the new version is very similar in general play, but an order of magnitude simpler in complexity. A lot of the systems have been absorbed into the markets as card effects. It is a bit more random as a result. I preferred the original, but enjoyed 2E.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Broken Loose posted:

hint: it's the same reason why prada slut is claiming that everybody in the thread is "mad" when he was actually the one calling people names and resorting to fallacies

Except I didn't do those things but okay. Someone got mad at me for not liking their game and it's my fault. I guess.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

lockdar posted:

Favour of the Pharaoh
It's something like Yatzhee on steroids. You start with three dice and try increase that number by getting certain cards that manipulate the amount of dice and the number of pips on them. It went quick and was fun, I was surprised since I usually don't like dice games. Too bad the price is 50 euro, that's atleast 10 to much for cardboard and dice.

Yikes! I've played the original (To Court the King -- but I call it To Flip the Table because of some memorably unlucky rolls of the dice). Definitely not a 50 euro experience game. That's too bad, as I was interested in the BGG designer diary on it that appeared recently.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lockdar posted:

Between two cities
You draft tiles to build your city, the twist is that you are building two cities at the same time with your neighbours. Your finished cities have to be exactly 4x4 tiles. Every round you draft 2 tiles and confer with your neighbours which piece goes where while they are doing the same. In the end your city with the lowest score will be your score. There are alot of extra tiles so that garuantees replayability. Didn't buy it but might.

I kickstarted this and my copy showed up today, hopefully I can convince my group to actually play it.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

werdnam posted:

Yikes! I've played the original (To Court the King -- but I call it To Flip the Table because of some memorably unlucky rolls of the dice). Definitely not a 50 euro experience game. That's too bad, as I was interested in the BGG designer diary on it that appeared recently.

Favor of the Pharaoh has a lot of improvements to TCTK that make it less random and more interesting, and it's got really nice components, but I definitely think it's overpriced.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Improvements or not, 20ish D6 and a deck of cards/tiles should be in the 20-30 dollar range (The price I remember TCtK being) unless you're ZMan.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The D6 are heavily custom and the cards have all been replaced by decently big tiles, plus some player boards and other miscellany (lots of tokens). I would expect Dominion price probably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andarel posted:

The D6 are heavily custom and the cards have all been replaced by decently big tiles, plus some player boards and other miscellany (lots of tokens). I would expect Dominion price probably.

If by "heavily custom" you mean "different colours", maybe. I also looked at this one and thought "nah" based on price without even watching the game play. Bezier are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market already, this is doing them no favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's nothing crazy but they're nice dice and all the non-red ones have at least 1 custom face, I forget how many non-star symbols are on there but it's something.

That said, Bezier should probably slash their prices 10-20% across the board if they want to be in line with expectations.