Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sounds like easydog is an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
easydog :shittydog:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's so many animes that deal with the effects of the war on Japan, you'd think they might mention the reasons why.

At least they don't turn the victims of their massacres into sports team mascots.

Not to mention, the US and other nations have created art and entertainment reflecting on the atrocities they've committed in war. Not every cop up, but we've done it. Still, Japan has nothing on nations like Turkey where it's illegal to talk about war crimes and ethnic cleansing because it's denigrating to the national image.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A man stands in the middle of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, wondering loudly why there's nothing in the museum about why America nuked Japan and how they could have prevented it if they just surrendered.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

A man stands in the middle of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, wondering loudly why there's nothing in the museum about why America nuked Japan and how they could have prevented it if they just surrendered.

while 12 members of japanese society say "hey bro gently caress you," only in japanese because they're too afraid of speaking in egao

they're a proud nation, you see

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's so many animes that deal with the effects of the war on Japan, you'd think they might mention the reasons why.

At least they don't turn the victims of their massacres into sports team mascots.

The reasons why are almost always implied, not directly discussed, because it's less painful that way. In my experience other 'controversial' issues are often dealt in a similar matter. It doesn't necessarily mean that they believe nothing bad happened, it's often quite the opposite.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Sleeveless posted:

The dude is loving terrible but he gets a ton of clicks because he posts videos with wacky inflammatory titles that are always a variation on "IS DUMB THING FOR KIDS ACTUALLY SMART THING FOR ADULTS???" so people post links to make fun of how weird and bad it is without spending five second thinking about it and realizing that it's exactly what he wants.

Finding a way to introduce larger real-life topics using popular culture is a really useful skill for teachers. Keep throwing stones at others for trying to educate in a way that you don't 100% agree with, dude, people think you're cool.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Finding a way to introduce larger real-life topics using popular culture is a really useful skill for teachers. Keep throwing stones at others for trying to educate in a way that you don't 100% agree with, dude, people think you're cool.

What is he trying to teach. What is there even to get offended for, here. Nobody has an opinion either way on how cool this person is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

some ppl get REALLY mad at speculation, unusual interpretations, seemingly absurd comparisons, etc even when the person who proposes them follows them to their conclusion and says "probably wrong"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ekster posted:

The reasons why are almost always implied, not directly discussed, because it's less painful that way. In my experience other 'controversial' issues are often dealt in a similar matter. It doesn't necessarily mean that they believe nothing bad happened, it's often quite the opposite.

Also, a work about how your grampa is a racist and probably hung some black families when he was young isn't really constructive towards anything. So wasting time in a cartoon to talk about that is retarded. Of course it's more complicated, but imo talking about the lovely things japan did would really only be relevant to sci-fi settings wherein they reference it as something not to do. Like the "black history" from Turn A Gundam.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

well, the stock plot in anime for literally 40 years has been "evil militaristic empire invades its neighbors and launches a horrible campaign of atrocities against civilians" every miyazaki movie, 90% of the gundams, FMA, etc, etc, etc

unless you want like a title card saying "we, the japanese, are a subhuman race of fascists who should have been nuked off the earth in 1945", i'm not sure what would satisfy you because you're clearly not watching the same body of media i am. like japan's handling of ww2 stuff isn't 'good' by any means but it's not worth engaging with someone who says they're all neonazis or whatever because a cursory look at japanese media tells you that's not true at all

Sleeveless posted:

IMO the japs shouldn't have surrendered because that means we could have had the People's Republic of Japan :ussr:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2015

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I... wtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GmRSMBi90

there's actually a melody to the death egg zone in Sonic 2?! I never heard anything after 7 seconds in. holy poo poo I... my life is a lie. how did I never hear this before after all of the times I've beaten the game? to be fair most people will never hear the refrain since you're only in the "stage" for five seconds before fighting Silver Sonic but still, holy poo poo

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

codenameFANGIO posted:

What is he trying to teach. What is there even to get offended for, here. Nobody has an opinion either way on how cool this person is.

At its base, I figure critical thinking, and developing nuanced opinions on subjects. I'm not offended, it's just silly how easy some people on here like to casually dismiss any merit to things that don't tickle their own personal spergbone. Casual cynicism is tiring and calling it out doesn't seem like a big enough deal to have to then explain oneself for doing, but here I am.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
type: lake

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I wanted a good pokemon clone for pc that allowed me to play over the internet

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

TELEFANG 2, a weird digimon ripoff. someone made a patch to bugfix the hong kong bootleg and make it playable (if still incomprehensible) http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7307225/1/

what do i name my EASYDOG

Name your EASYDOG...

"RUFF RIDER" :dukedog:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

program666 posted:

I wanted a good pokemon clone for pc that allowed me to play over the internet

Well you could play Showdown which is literally Pokemon on the PC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Whoever was thinking about buying the sam and max games, now's a good time to do it, Steam's doing one of those things they do.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

icantfindaname posted:

well, the stock plot in anime for literally 40 years has been "evil militaristic empire invades its neighbors and launches a horrible campaign of atrocities against civilians" every miyazaki movie, 90% of the gundams, FMA, etc, etc, etc

Many Soviet cartoons had some type of a mad king, discussed tyranny, oppression, etc., but you know, Stalin is somehow relatively popular today. There were cartoons with actual historical Tzars in them, but I can't think of one with Stalin. Weird, right?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Not to mention, the US and other nations have created art and entertainment reflecting on the atrocities they've committed in war. Not every cop up, but we've done it. Still, Japan has nothing on nations like Turkey where it's illegal to talk about war crimes and ethnic cleansing because it's denigrating to the national image.
Show me the internment camp movie and the TPAJAX movie.

I wanna watch them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, and don't forget the pre-1950s American Zionist Movement movie. I'd watch that, too.

edit: found a movie about how america created ISIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqWjJdXKIXA

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 9, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Great Joe posted:

Show me the internment camp movie and the TPAJAX movie.

I wanna watch them.

Didn't they make a movie adaptation of Snow Falling on Cedars?

E: yes they did. Apparently it was kinda eh though.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

George Takei was in a musical about internment camps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Whoever was thinking about buying the sam and max games, now's a good time to do it, Steam's doing one of those things they do.

to expand on this, the Back to the Future game of theirs is really good; it's an actual point and click puzzle type game and the voice acting is great. deffo worth six bucks.

Puzzle Agent falters a bit, mostly by having some "meh" puzzles, but the story/atmosphere is David Lynch as gently caress and it's deffo worth $4 for both entries in the series.

$10 for all 3 Sam and Max seasons is just super

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

David Lynch as gently caress.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

to expand on this, the Back to the Future game of theirs is really good; it's an actual point and click puzzle type game and the voice acting is great. deffo worth six bucks.

Puzzle Agent falters a bit, mostly by having some "meh" puzzles, but the story/atmosphere is David Lynch as gently caress and it's deffo worth $4 for both entries in the series.

$10 for all 3 Sam and Max seasons is just super

It's actually David Lynch + Fargo. But, yeah, it's a great game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsIMXIMBpBw

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OUcEjw5-Ao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uehfL60EA4

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

The Grimace posted:

while 12 members of japanese society say "hey bro gently caress you," only in japanese because they're too afraid of speaking in egao

they're a proud nation, you see
but wouldn't speaking in smiles be polite enough to serve as a good mask?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Personally I thought it was really disappointing, it's a shameless Professor Layton clone only with worse puzzles (and way fewer of them) and a story that goes nowhere.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Guys Gex is 75% off over at GoG right now!!!

Remember Gex?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For a second I seriously read that as Guy Sex

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Golden Goat posted:

Guys Gex is 75% off over at GoG right now!!!

Remember Gex?

Gex 1 is kinda alright. Gex 2 and 3 are so goddamn bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you could play Showdown which is literally Pokemon on the PC.

I kind of wanted to play the normal rpg and collect pokemons and then battle it out with my friends like normal pokemon (but over the internet), in this showdown thing you simply build whatever team right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

dwarf fortress was at the moma lol

There are a lot of games in MOMA now. You can go there and whup clueless tourists asses in SFII Turbo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gex has a seriously rude tude.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I have rented Gex 3 when I was a kid, an even after I had played and liked Croc and Jersey Devil, I hated Gex 3.

program666 posted:

I kind of wanted to play the normal rpg and collect pokemons and then battle it out with my friends like normal pokemon (but over the internet), in this showdown thing you simply build whatever team right?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

does it have uk gex voice or us gex voice

• Locked thread