Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This speakership situation is wild. Is Boehner locked in until the next election? If they don't have the votes for a new speaker the situation's not going to change any time soon, and any 'moderate'/establishment candidate would actually be in a worse position than him since as a dead man walking he's at least free to make unpopular moves. He's already completely symbolically surrendered even if they won't let him leave.

This debacle must've cost him what little authority and control he had left. Even moderates sympathetic to him must know he can't make promises or command loyalty in his current state, if he brings a debt ceiling increase or a clean CR to a vote he's not even a target worth venting at - it'll be whatever 30 or so Republicans stick their necks out to get must-pass legislation done and bear the brunt of Conservative scorn. Any speaker elected with help from the Democrats would have to make concessions to them and be seen as a traitor and weakling by the base.

Even if they make Boehner bring up votes to keep the government and world economy solvent, will there be the votes? If everyone but the hardliners went in for them that might provide more cover, but if it's just a bare minority then they're painting targets on their backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even neurosurgeons can have brainfarts. In this case, he suffers from brainflatulence.

He suffers from being a literal moron who is only good at one thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

He suffers from being a literal moron who is only good at one thing.

Good With Brains

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BrandorKP posted:

It's worth listening to Carson on Marketplace today. Kai fucks his poo poo up.

edit:

Ryssdal: With respect, sir, you didn't answer the question. What are you not gonna do? It's easy to say trim fat, it's easy to say 3 to 4 percent reduction, but rejecting the premise of the question isn't answering the question.

Ryssdal: I'm gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that's already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Ryssdal: I'm really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you're not gonna raise the debt limit and you're not gonna give specifics on what you're gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?

Ryssdal: Yes. You keep saying we're doing things in the government we don't need to do, but when I ask you what you're gonna stop doing, you don't tell me.

Ryssdal: Explain to me a little bit how people are second-class citizens. You've compared the Affordable Care Act to slavery, sir.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

I guarantee you he's not the only one in the GOP that doesn't understand the difference between raising the debt limit and authorizing spending. I'd bet some of the Freedom Caucus nutbars think it too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AfroLine posted:

Ben Carson was held at gunpoint at a Popeyes. That's wrong.

If true, he's not the only one.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/04/22/pregnant-popeyes-worker-fired-robbery/26177561/

quote:

CHANNELVIEW, Texas -- A fast food restaurant is robbed and the shift manager says she got fired for refusing to pay the money back.

"I told them I'm not paying nothing," said Marissa Holcomb. "I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money."
The heist happened on Mar. 31 at the Popeyes restaurant in the 500 block of Sheldon Road in Channelview and was captured on surveillance video.
In the video, you see a man with a beanie over his face run in waving a gun. He forced all the employees to the floor.
Then, he turned his attention to Holcomb.

"By the back of my shirt, he pulled me up and he pushed me to the front," she recalled. "He told me to give him everything out of my safe."
But the only thing Holcomb could open were the registers. The gunman got away with nearly $400.
Holcomb claimed that after the robbery, one of her managers gave her a choice to either pay the money back or get fired.
"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family because what I had to do to keep my life," Holcomb said.
Less than 36 hours after the robbery, Holcomb was fired.

The Popeyes franchise owner, Z&H Foods Inc., wouldn't talk on camera. However, a spokesperson in their human resources department explained that Holcomb was fired because she broke policy by leaving too much money in the register, and this wasn't her first offense.
That spokesperson also claimed that if Holcomb was given the option to pay money back, the company knew nothing about it.
Holcomb argued that it was a busy Tuesday when they offer a 2-piece chicken meal for $1.19, and she moved money as fast as she could.
"They got what they got because that's what we made within one hour," she said
We've also learned that Z&H Foods Inc. isn't the only company with this type of policy. Some other fast food restaurants have rules about how much money is in the till and how much an employee is liable for.
That's little comfort for Holcomb, who is not only unemployed but pregnant with her fourth child. She's constantly filling out applications but doesn't expect anyone to hire her now.
"I mean who's gonna call me? I'm 5 months pregnant," she said. "The fact that I got robbed at gunpoint and it's like nobody cares."
Cheryl Bachelder, CEO of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. issued the following statement in response to the story:

"We recently became aware of a story in Houston involving a Popeyes restaurant and employee. The restaurant is operated by an independent franchisee of the Popeyes brand. We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation. While the facts are gathered, we will closely monitor this until it is appropriately resolved. We deeply regret the distress this situation has caused."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Drudge Report, and Huffington Post all have the Speaker situation as their top news story, but one media outlet conspicuously does not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Was McCarthy dropping out of the speaker race because of his Benghazi comments? It would be really funny if Hillary putting out those ads took out their only viable option for leadership.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Welp, Carson had a good run:

quote:

Ben Carson said Thursday that he wants the Voting Rights Act protected, adding he'd like to hear Jeb Bush explain why he does not support its reauthorization.

"Of course I want the Voting Rights Act to be protected. Whether we still need it or not or whether we've outgrown the need for it is questionable," he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "Maybe we have, maybe we haven't. But I wouldn't jeopardize it."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/politics/ben-carson-voting-rights-act-jeb-bush/index.html

Though I expect we'll be hearing a "clarification" from his campaign later on saying he misunderstood the question and oh by the way did you know that more Republicans than Democrats voted for the CRA?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's because he's loving another Representative. He'll end up resigning over it, and presumably she will as well. It was really almost indescribably stupid of them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Peztopiary posted:

It's because he's loving another Representative. He'll end up resigning over it, and presumably she will as well. It was really almost indescribably stupid of them.

Haha no they won't.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

PostNouveau posted:

Was McCarthy dropping out of the speaker race because of his Benghazi comments? It would be really funny if Hillary putting out those ads took out their only viable option for leadership.

It's almost certainly the sex scandal. The Benghazi thing wasn't really much of a gaffe. The majority of the party is really okay with having a select committee whose purpose is to gently caress with Hillary, and when it comes to the speakership that's all that matters. They probably think he's kind of dumb for saying it out loud in the media, but they don't disagree with his statement at all.

Also, unless someone finds pics, that sex scandal didn't happen. Neither Ellmers nor McCarthy are gonna want to talk about it, and as long as they weren't real loving stupid about covering their tracks in a technical sense then they'll stay as unsubstantiated accusations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Maybe. I'll admit I'm just openly salivating for more chaos and shattered lives in the Republican caucus. They're certainly smart enough to have covered their tracks, but a man can dream.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Also, unless someone finds pics, that sex scandal didn't happen. Neither Ellmers nor McCarthy are gonna want to talk about it, and as long as they weren't real loving stupid about covering their tracks in a technical sense then they'll stay as unsubstantiated accusations.

The sex scandal theory is mainly being advanced by Tea Party sites who have a vested interest in fantasizing about how corrupt the RINOs are. The theory doesn't exactly hold up, as no one in the Freedom Caucus seems like they would have the tact to keep their mouths shut if they knew of such a thing.

Out of the possible actual reasons for him withdrawing, it's almost certainly because he didn't have 218 votes, no matter what he tells the press he would have won with. If he could have gotten 219-220 he would still be in the race. If the choice is winning by a slim margin or badly embarrassing the GOP and sending the House into disarray, you do the first thing. He couldn't do the first thing.

The Benghazi gaffe was bad, but it wouldn't conceivably have affected his standing with the Freedom Caucus, who would more likely than not proudly admit the same, nor with the old guard, who had clearly decided he was The Guy by Thursday morning, hence the shock.

Do the math. The Freedom Caucus has about 40 seats of the 247 Republican seats. The Speaker needs 218. McCarthy didn't have the 40 votes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

Maybe. I'll admit I'm just openly salivating for more chaos and shattered lives in the Republican caucus. They're certainly smart enough to have covered their tracks, but a man can dream.

You would be amazed (actually, you probably wouldn't be) at how dumb someone can be and still advance pretty far in politics. Multiple candidates in the GOP primary seemed incapable of articulating a coherent point, Jud McMillan filmed himself having an affair and then sent it to his entire contacts list, and the ostensible favorite for the Speaker of the House -- a position that in theory requires effective politicking -- committed the indescribably stupid offense of revealing the intended purpose of the permanent select committee on Benghazi. And this is just what I can remember since the start of summer.

We elect some truly dumb motherfuckers to office in this country.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The sex scandal theory is mainly being advanced by Tea Party sites who have a vested interest in fantasizing about how corrupt the RINOs are. The theory doesn't exactly hold up, as no one in the Freedom Caucus seems like they would have the tact to keep their mouths shut if they knew of such a thing.

Out of the possible actual reasons for him withdrawing, it's almost certainly because he didn't have 218 votes, no matter what he tells the press he would have won with. If he could have gotten 219-220 he would still be in the race. If the choice is winning by a slim margin or badly embarrassing the GOP and sending the House into disarray, you do the first thing. He couldn't do the first thing.

The Benghazi gaffe was bad, but it wouldn't conceivably have affected his standing with the Freedom Caucus, who would more likely than not proudly admit the same, nor with the old guard, who had clearly decided he was The Guy by Thursday morning, hence the shock.

Do the math. The Freedom Caucus has about 40 seats of the 247 Republican seats. The Speaker needs 218. McCarthy didn't have the 40 votes.

The funny thing is, this means that in a practical sense, the Republican Party has effectively split in two: the Tea Party is a separate party with separate goals, and it is unwilling to form a coalition with the Republicans. This is what a parliamentary crisis looks like in a first-past-the-post system.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"You know, I'm a brain surgeon.

The tragedy is that the only brain I couldn't fix... is my own."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

The platinum coin thing being bullshit, I actually don't know whether there is an option. What if Boehner were incapacitated?

*Joementum bat signal*

The Platinum Coin is constitutionally dubious and the Federal Reserve has explicitly stated that they would not use it to avoid a default.

The White House's legal advisors have recommended what they think is the "least unconstitutional option," prioritization. To avoid default, President Obama would probably invoke Section 4 of the Fourteenth Amendment to make sure the country honors its bond obligations at the expense of all other services. Such a solution would entail a complete shutdown of entitlements, salaries, and most government agencies while the U.S. directed the remainder of its limited funds to fulfill bonds.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The tea party strikes me more of a nationalist millenarian movement than a "real" ideology. That, or just typical ignorant populism, but it kind of wigs me out how quasi religious a lot of the hyper nationalist poo poo they go on about is, and how it's combined with an undercurrent of stark terror that the one true American Way is being destroyed forever, by a variety of traitors and sellouts. And how it's combined with actual religious extremism.

I should maybe not read about later Qing history for a bit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like there's a contradiction between "we need guns to fight government tyranny, or else we're going to get genocided like the people in Germany" and "we need to throw out all of the illegal immigrants"

I mean, wouldn't the immigrants think that was government tyranny, and shouldn't they be entitled to fight off the government with guns?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like there's a contradiction between "we need guns to fight government tyranny, or else we're going to get genocided like the people in Germany" and "we need to throw out all of the illegal immigrants"

I mean, wouldn't the immigrants think that was government tyranny, and shouldn't they be entitled to fight off the government with guns?

But they're not white so,

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Freedom Caucus released their demands suggestions for the Republican Leadership's new focus as it finds a Speaker. Some highlights include:

quote:

Would you ensure conservatives have appropriate representation on the Steering committee?

Will you commit to adopt reforms to decentralize the Steering Committee and give members of the conference more input in selecting their regional representatives?

Would you ensure conservatives have representation on all House committees?

Instead of the current committees-reported version of reconciliation, would you pass a full repeal of Obamacare via reconciliation by the end of 2015 to fulfill the promises made to conservatives through the FY 15 budger resolution?

Would you maintain the current Budget Control Act cap levels and decline to take up legislation that would increase the caps?

Would you commit to impeach IRS Commissioner John Koskinen and pressure the Senate to take it up?

The Freedom Caucus would like to thank you for your time in answering these completely voluntary questions. Your participation is appreciated.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's what really confused me about Carson's Hitler comment. He knows the Nazis are evil because of hindsight, but unless he's totally down with the weird sovereign citizen poo poo, he can't possibly be advocating shooting cops that report to a government that you consider evil. That's pretty ballsy of someone trying to become an elected official.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There may not be unions But she has the right to quit at any time ! :911:

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
The rumor I've heard is that McCarthy resigns from the house at 9am before video evidence of the Ellmers affair comes out. No clue if it's true or not, but I was told by someone a hell of a lot closer to the action than I am.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

AhhYes posted:

The rumor I've heard is that McCarthy resigns from the house at 9am before video evidence of the Ellmers affair comes out. No clue if it's true or not, but I was told by someone a hell of a lot closer to the action than I am.

If this is true, what a loving month.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

AhhYes posted:

This is just ridiculous now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How many Republicans have been ousted by affairs in the last few months? Is this three?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Would you commit to impeach IRS Commissioner John Koskinen and pressure the Senate to take it up?

Why do they want to do this specifically, just because IRS=taxes=bad?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

happyhippy posted:

Why do they want to do this specifically, just because IRS=taxes=bad?

The IRS via sneaky Obama order were targeting the tea party with increased audits, remember?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pox posted:

Actually, the first thing President Sanders will need to do is stop blaming republicans for this 30% unemployment and fix his 5 trillion dollar deficit by agreeing to eliminate Social Security.

Replace social security with a youth jobs program and GMI :bernin:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Let the games......BEGIN!!!!

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/darrell-issa-potential-house-speaker-candidate-214600?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) said Friday that he could "potentially" be a candidate for speaker of the House but also gave the name of Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) as someone who he would support for the position.
“The fact is that yes, I think that I can be potentially a candidate, but at the same time, I agree with the vast majority of members, I think. That we need a Paul Ryan or we need somebody who is a. experienced, b. has been a committee chairman or something other than just up through the leadership ranks," he said in an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "We very definitely need to pick our fights carefully, but we need somebody who’s willing to do those fights when the time comes because the motion of our party has been to the right" he added.

Also, there was a shooting overnight at NAU in Arizona. But you know, stuff happens.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/shooting-northern-arizona-university-campus-leaves-1-dead-3-injured/

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 9, 2015

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

I guarantee you he's not the only one in the GOP that doesn't understand the difference between raising the debt limit and authorizing spending. I'd bet some of the Freedom Caucus nutbars think it too.

I listened to this interview last night and I'm still angry about what a glib, stupid, mindless motherfucker Ben Carson is.

"You can't tell me there's any part of the government that's 100% efficient so I'll just tell every one of them to cut 4% because there's so much fat to be cut. I know this because I've been on the board of some companies."

It drives me loving crazy that we have to fight for the world with people like this, who literally parade the fact that they are completely ignorant about what they're doing as a bizarre form of expertise and reject empirical facts as "the liberal media."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The Ellmers-Mccarthy rumour sounds exactly like the kind of dumb poo poo Chuck Johnson would make up on the GOP nether-web, but Mark Halperin at least apparently buys it.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Brigadier Sockface posted:

This is just ridiculous now.

We'll see shortly how accurate that is, but honestly, I hope it isn't true. McCarthy losing the speakership because the Freedom caucus has the party by the balls is waaaaay more entertaining than an affair. More damaging to the long-term prospects of the Republican party too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Radish posted:

How many Republicans have been ousted by affairs in the last few months? Is this three?

Depends. Do you count it double when the affair is with another Republican politician, as appears to have happened twice in the last two weeks?

By the way, Daily Caller is reporting that the "affair with Ellmers" story was posted to Wikipedia from a DHS IP address. How reliable is that website?

Edit: by the way, speaking of Chuck Johnson, Daily Caller is crediting him and Breitbart with breaking the McCarthy-Ellmers story in the first place.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 9, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Replace social security with a youth jobs program and GMI :bernin:

So he's cribbing at least half of that from House of Cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's nice to see that a black man like Carson is regurgitating the old Neo-Nazi/white supremacist notion that gun control caused the Holocaust. We're really making strides with multiculturalism in this country people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

So he's cribbing at least half of that from House of Cards.

I actually binged on House of Cards season 3 a couple of weeks ago and it just felt so dated, what with LGBT rights still being a thing in its canon (I'm sorry if this sounds glib) and taking itself completely seriously compared to the insanity that is the Republican primaries.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Is the Republican party even capable of being led currently? People like Ted Cruz have made a political career out of essentially running against their own party. The current strategy of the wingnut politicians seems to be promise your crazy constituents something impossible (repeal Obamacare, unfund PP, etc.), then rail against your own party's leadership for being RINO appeasers when they fail to accomplish said impossible goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I keep waiting for the msm to start calling the Freedom Caucus "extremists". They have certainly earned it. At most we now get "hard-right" which is not really accurate at all.

• Locked thread