Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

I apparently need to buy a new phone, as the Moto X 1st gen I got used (because I still have unlimited data) a year ago seems like it's rapidly starting to keep people on the other end from hearing me. I'd initially popped in here to get suggestions on a modestly-priced (say, preferably $200 or less) used phone to buy. However, now I see this. What's the pitfall you're referring to— people who are still making payments on a phone who sell said phone and stop payments, with the carrier then bricking the phone or something for nonpayment?

You can get the new Moto G for $179. It's $40 more for 16GB with 2GB of memory.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

AppleCider posted:

That's good to see. Thanks for the tip.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ManiacClown posted:

What's the pitfall you're referring to— people who are still making payments on a phone who sell said phone and stop payments, with the carrier then bricking the phone or something for nonpayment?

Yeah. Don't buy a used phone without confirming with the carrier it's not on an active installment plan. If you are doing a local Craigslist deal, then consummate said deal in a carrier-owned phone shop, so you can be triply sure there's no shenanigans going on.

AppleCider posted:

Will the CDMA one work on Verizon? It certainly doesn't list it in the specs.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah. Don't buy a used phone without confirming with the carrier it's not on an active installment plan. If you are doing a local Craigslist deal, then consummate said deal in a carrier-owned phone shop, so you can be triply sure there's no shenanigans going on.

Will the CDMA one work on Verizon? It certainly doesn't list it in the specs.

No I don't think it does.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Verizon to raise price of grandfathered unlimited data plans by $20

Welp, this will might be the final straw for my unlimited account. We've talked about jumping ship to T-Mobile but...but..but... my network!!!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9478093/verizon-increasing-unlimited-data-price

welp

edit: beaten

edit 2: If they put back that 30GB for $150 plan they had this time last year, I might seriously consider giving up the unlimited. Right now I pay for the unlimited tethering buy-up on one of my lines, and for the price of a night and a half of hotel internet I get unlimited tethering for the rest of the month. But between me and my wife we usually only run up about 22-25GB/month.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 8, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Glad i sold my ULD account a while ago. Value will probably plummet now

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9478093/verizon-increasing-unlimited-data-price

welp

edit: beaten

edit 2: If they put back that 30GB for $150 plan they had this time last year, I might seriously consider giving up the unlimited. Right now I pay for the unlimited tethering buy-up on one of my lines, and for the price of a night and a half of hotel internet I get unlimited tethering for the rest of the month. But between me and my wife we usually only run up about 22-25GB/month.

Keep in mind you can prorate the unlimited tethering. Its $1 a day. add and cancel as needed

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

JayKay posted:

Welp, this will might be the final straw for my unlimited account. We've talked about jumping ship to T-Mobile but...but..but... my network!!!

:( :( :( :(

This will probably make me leave Verizon as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Huh, I can apparently get 25GB on AT&T for the same before-tax price I'm paying for me and my wife on Verizon. Maybe I should jump ship.

T-Mobile would otherwise be perfectly cromulent except we've got family in Iowa, visit every now and then, and T-Mobile has zero coverage there. If you're a T-Mobile customer you will quite literally roam on GPRS, as if you're in a third world country.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Man, switching to that 30GB plan last October was one of the smartest things I've done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timing on this is funny because Verizon had a whole slew of unlimited people on contract until the end of September due to the system bug back in 2013 that allowed people to get a subsidized upgrade without killing unlimited.

Glad I moved to a Moto X Pure last month and I have my choice of carriers. Looks like I'll move to cricket and save a shitload of money.

This also unravels my FiOS bundle, so they can expect me to cut back services there as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Timing on this is funny because Verizon had a whole slew of unlimited people on contract until the end of September due to the system bug back in 2013 that allowed people to get a subsidized upgrade without killing unlimited.

I wonder if this will trigger them to audit the accounts of people who have incomplete orders w/ 2GB data plans on them as a result of that Best Buy loophole, and force them out onto tiered.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Glad I moved to a Moto X Pure last month and I have my choice of carriers. Looks like I'll move to cricket and save a shitload of money.

This also unravels my FiOS bundle, so they can expect me to cut back services there as well.

Yeah, my wife jumped on that bug to get her 5S and her contract expires soon.

At least since she has a 5S and I have a Nexus 6, we can keep our phones when we jump ship. Right now TMo seems to be the front runner. (Cheaper and we have coverage )

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That is some major BS from Verizon.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've been mulling over what to do myself. I have an aging Droid DNA on an unlimited data account. I had a nice little racket going with being able to wear out my phones and replace them using the Extended Warranty and retaining unlimited. Looks like those days are finally coming to an end.

I was thinking about possibly getting a Moto X Pure, but that was only if I stick with Verizon. My other thought was grabbing a new Nexus (5X or 6P... not sure, I've never held a 6P size phone) and using my Project Fi invite. I checked my data usage on my verizon account and I averaged about 6gigs a month of data (so, really, not a ton compared to most). Also, I live in the capital region area of NY, so coverage isn't generally an issue. I've just always had verizon, but I don't really have any loyalty to them. Other than for the unlimited data, but I'm not sure if that's going to be worth the $50 for 6-ish gigs a month.

Edit: just started reading about Cricket Wireless. That seems like a good option if I had a nice new phone already.

Ohvee fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 8, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The funny thing is, I typically use under 3gb of data and could exist fine on the lower priced T-Shirt bundles they have now.

However, if they are going to force me to make a change, I'm going to shop around and try a few things out first.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I want to sell a Verizon iPad, can I just cancel my account and then the person who buys it from me set up a new account with the existing sim?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

powderific posted:

If I want to sell a Verizon iPad, can I just cancel my account and then the person who buys it from me set up a new account with the existing sim?

The SIM is yours, throw it away. They need to get a new one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cool, that's way easier. Does it matter that the iPad was originally on verizon then? It's an Air original and I bought it unsubsidized. For some reason I thought Verizon didn't like to give out sims to stuff that wasn't originally on their network.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Cool, that's way easier. Does it matter that the iPad was originally on verizon then? It's an Air original and I bought it unsubsidized. For some reason I thought Verizon didn't like to give out sims to stuff that wasn't originally on their network.

You already used it on Verizon, so obviously it works on Verizon? Either way, no, the air should work on Verizon either way, and SIM cards are free in stores. There would be a $40 act fee though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I think someone just gave me bad information at some point and I dredged it up from my mental archives. Sounds like it was only ever complicated in my head.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I don't have a Slickdeals account and the thread over there is pretty much impossible to decipher anyway.

I have two phones on my account. 1 is a Droid Mini on unlimited; out of contract. The other phone is an iPhone6 that is NOT on unlimited and it is still under contract.

What exact process do I need to go through so I don't experience the $20 per month increase?

From what I can tell I am supposed to:
  • Go to Best Buy's website and try to find a cheap phone that has a similar SIM card to my Droid Mini (if this is not possible, a SIM cutter will work).
  • If Best Buy's website warns about the unlimited data being removed, do not poo poo pants.
  • Receive new phone in the mail, and take out its SIM card and literally destroy it.
  • Put the SIM card from my Droid Mini into the new phone and use it for a couple days
  • Take the SIM card out of the new phone. Sell "new" phone on eBay or whatever (I guess without a SIM card?). Go back to using my Droid Mini. Pray to the Gods that I never lose my phone.

Is this all correct? Should my process be any different because I have a 2nd, limited plan on my account that is under contract?

:saddowns:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Melmac posted:

I don't have a Slickdeals account and the thread over there is pretty much impossible to decipher anyway.

I have two phones on my account. 1 is a Droid Mini on unlimited; out of contract. The other phone is an iPhone6 that is NOT on unlimited and it is still under contract.

What exact process do I need to go through so I don't experience the $20 per month increase?

• Go to Best Buy's website and try to find a cheap phone that has a similar SIM card to my Droid Mini (if this is not possible, a SIM cutter will work).
  • If Best Buy's website warns about the unlimited data being removed, do not poo poo pants.
  • Receive new phone in the mail, and take out its SIM card and literally destroy it.
  • Put the SIM card from my Droid Mini into the new phone and use it for a couple days
  • Take the SIM card out of the new phone. Sell "new" phone on eBay or whatever (I guess without a SIM card?). Go back to using my Droid Mini. Pray to the Gods that I never lose my phone.

Is this all correct? Should my process be any different because I have a 2nd, limited plan on my account that is under contract?

You should be able to do this all directly through Verizon's site. Transfer the upgrade from the Droid Mini line to the IPhone6 line, use that upgrade to buy whatever phone you want. When the phone arrives activate it normally. Take out the sim from the new phone and use it to reactivate the IPhone6. Both lines are now under contract and you can do whatever you want with the phone you ordered. Sell it or activate it on your Unlimited Data plan line.

Caveat as always is that Verizon can at any point decide that this was a mistake and undo it. Worst case they update your plan to $50/month anyways and you are under contract for 2 more years anyways.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

THF13 posted:

You should be able to do this all directly through Verizon's site. Transfer the upgrade from the Droid Mini line to the IPhone6 line, use that upgrade to buy whatever phone you want. When the phone arrives activate it normally. Take out the sim from the new phone and use it to reactivate the IPhone6. Both lines are now under contract and you can do whatever you want with the phone you ordered. Sell it or activate it on your Unlimited Data plan line.

Caveat as always is that Verizon can at any point decide that this was a mistake and undo it. Worst case they update your plan to $50/month anyways and you are under contract for 2 more years anyways.

Wow, thank you. The 800 walls of text on Slickdeals doesn't once mention using Verizon's site as an option.

Using your method I don't have to destroy any SIM cards or anything?

The iPhone6 is line is only on contract until December of this year. Does this mean the unlimited data phone (the Droid Mini) would only be under contract until December?

Thank you again by the way

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Melmac posted:

The way I see it you have 2 options:

-Best Buy trick and get a new iPhone and sell it for top $$ and make a few hundred bucks. Once you get the phone, put your old SIM in (both are nano sim so no cutting or whatnot is required), activate it, then swap back to the Mini. It is then sellable as long as that SIM it shipped with is destroyed.
-Do the same but get a new phone for yourself because the mini is pretty ancient by this point

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Melmac posted:

Wow, thank you. The 800 walls of text on Slickdeals doesn't once mention using Verizon's site as an option.

Using your method I don't have to destroy any SIM cards or anything?

The iPhone6 is line is only on contract until December of this year. Does this mean the unlimited data phone (the Droid Mini) would only be under contract until December?

Thank you again by the way

That's really just the process to get use an unlimited plan upgrade without losing unlimited. It should be the case that the Unlimited line contract is extended 2 more years but I can't promise that's what Verizon will do. From their point of view you shouldn't have been able to get an Unlimited Data plan line contract renewed in the last 2 years.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

The way I see it you have 2 options:

-Best Buy trick and get a new iPhone and sell it for top $$ and make a few hundred bucks. Once you get the phone, put your old SIM in (both are nano sim so no cutting or whatnot is required), activate it, then swap back to the Mini. It is then sellable as long as that SIM it shipped with is destroyed.
-Do the same but get a new phone for yourself because the mini is pretty ancient by this point

OK so just to make sure, I can't use the Verizon method THF13 described?

I actually just bought the Droid Mini brand new (only $150 no contract on Amazon) :lol:
It seems very fast and most importantly, it's the only sub-4.5" phone released in the past 3 years which is good for my feminine hands.

If I get the iPhone (or whatever phone) and just sell it, how do I do that when it does not have a SIM card in it? Do I just mention that in the auction or do I go to Verizon and buy a blank one or something? :saddowns:

THF13 posted:

That's really just the process to get use an unlimited plan upgrade without losing unlimited. It should be the case that the Unlimited line contract is extended 2 more years but I can't promise that's what Verizon will do. From their point of view you shouldn't have been able to get an Unlimited Data plan line contract renewed in the last 2 years.

I am just worried because if I am "swapping" contracts then the one with unlimited is going to be out of contract in December (since that's when the limited data iPhone currently is out of contract).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Melmac posted:

If I get the iPhone (or whatever phone) and just sell it, how do I do that when it does not have a SIM card in it? Do I just mention that in the auction or do I go to Verizon and buy a blank one or something? :saddowns:

People can put their own sim card in, you don't need to ship it with one.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Looking at the slickdeals thread they do mention using the Verizon site to transfer the upgrade, they refer to this process as the "4ever Method" and it can be used on either the Best Buy or official Verizon site. According to the thread "When you do the 4ever Method, it is the UDP line's upgrade that is used and it is the UDP line's contract that is extended, not the TDP line's. The TDP line's contract end date and upgrade date do not change when you do the 4ever Method."

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

THF13 posted:

Looking at the slickdeals thread they do mention using the Verizon site to transfer the upgrade, they refer to this process as the "4ever Method" and it can be used on either the Best Buy or official Verizon site. According to the thread "When you do the 4ever Method, it is the UDP line's upgrade that is used and it is the UDP line's contract that is extended, not the TDP line's. The TDP line's contract end date and upgrade date do not change when you do the 4ever Method."

If this works I will love you "4ever".

Thanks man. No clue why that thread needs to look like a GameFAQs entry.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
What's the return period if Verizon tries to gently caress me and swap me to a 2-gig plan for doing that stupid SlickDeals poo poo via BestBuy?

And does it immediately renew my contract (i.e. I can order a new iPhone which won't come for weeks and not some Droid garbage) or am I going to end up ordering this thing and my contract will lapse before I'm able to turn on my new phone? I generally wouldn't care, but this saves $20/mo and I get a new phone for $300 instead of like $800 so it's win+win+win if it works.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

maduin posted:

What's the return period if Verizon tries to gently caress me and swap me to a 2-gig plan for doing that stupid SlickDeals poo poo via BestBuy?

And does it immediately renew my contract (i.e. I can order a new iPhone which won't come for weeks and not some Droid garbage) or am I going to end up ordering this thing and my contract will lapse before I'm able to turn on my new phone? I generally wouldn't care, but this saves $20/mo and I get a new phone for $300 instead of like $800 so it's win+win+win if it works.

14 days

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

maduin posted:

Generally it doesn't happen until you activate the new device.

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

JayKay posted:

I know the feeling, Verizon's network has been really good to me. But this is the last straw; I'm going to Sprint.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Shao821 posted:

I know the feeling, Verizon's network has been really good to me. But this is the last straw; I'm going to Sprint.

Truthfully I'm tired of paying Verizon prices. I'm out of contract black Friday. I'll leave if they raise my prices more, I wasn't even using enough data to be worth what I'm paying now.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Generally it doesn't happen until you activate the new device.

I can answer my own question: apparently it happens once BestBuy processes the order. My contract on Verizon's website has been extended through October '17 and my new phone hasn't even shipped yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shao821 posted:

At least go to T-Mobile.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm going to get hit with the $20 increase in unlimited data, so I'm thinking about moving off of my existing "Nationwide" family plan to one of the new Verizon plans. I am looking at the 12gb/mo plan. A couple of questions:

1) Where does my 20% line access discount come into play? On the $80/month base for the plan?
2) I am eligible for an upgrade, the other two phones are not until 11/16 (for both). Can I upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, then switch to the new plan? If not, will the contract end dates of my other two lines impact my ability to switch to a Verizon plan?
3) What does a dumbphone cost per month on a Verizon plan? Right now I have two iPhones and 1 flip phone. I'd like to keep it that way since the flip phone user doesn't really need a smartphone. Although three smartphones @ $20/month will mean I pay about what I pay now, not including my 20% discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm going to get hit with the $20 increase in unlimited data, so I'm thinking about moving off of my existing "Nationwide" family plan to one of the new Verizon plans. I am looking at the 12gb/mo plan. A couple of questions:

1) Where does my 20% line access discount come into play? On the $80/month base for the plan?
2) I am eligible for an upgrade, the other two phones are not until 11/16 (for both). Can I upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, then switch to the new plan? If not, will the contract end dates of my other two lines impact my ability to switch to a Verizon plan?
3) What does a dumbphone cost per month on a Verizon plan? Right now I have two iPhones and 1 flip phone. I'd like to keep it that way since the flip phone user doesn't really need a smartphone. Although three smartphones @ $20/month will mean I pay about what I pay now, not including my 20% discount.

1) On the base rate, yes
2) You can, but you'll pay an extra $20 per line to be on contract with it.
3) Don't know.

• Locked thread