Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If I bought one of those new Amazon tablets I'd have to pay an extra £10 to disable "sponsored screensavers" and adverts on the home screen. Is this a thing in other countries too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Konsek posted:

If I bought one of those new Amazon tablets I'd have to pay an extra £10 to disable "sponsored screensavers" and adverts on the home screen. Is this a thing in other countries too?

Yes, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it, they are completely non-intrusive and static.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

When they first started doing the Kindle lockscreen ads there was one with a free $10 voucher for amazon.com. I don't know if any other good ones have come up but why not just take the discount and swipe past them if they aren't useful?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

When they first started doing the Kindle lockscreen ads there was one with a free $10 voucher for amazon.com. I don't know if any other good ones have come up but why not just take the discount and swipe past them if they aren't useful?

A lot of people bought the Kindle w/ Ads near Christmas, there's usually a bunch of incredible deals on the ads. I remember a TV being hundreds of dollars cheaper with the deal.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Syrinxx posted:

It's 4:3 and it's pretty expensive

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-8-4-1234946/review/1

??

Like I'm not said buy one new, but Amazon is selling factory refurbs for like 210. It's pretty great at that price.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
After a few days with the Venue 8 7840, I am loving this thing. It doesn't have that great of community support, but the hardware is awesome. The screen is as good as the best Samsungs I've seen, but I get stock Android instead of Touchwiz. No word on future Marshmallow support for it, but 5.1 is running just fine, so I'm happy. Battery life could maybe be better, I guess? With wifi on, I drain about 1% every 2-3 hours, when it's sitting idle. In use, playing videos streamed across my network, it's maybe 15% an hour.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting, Tivo's Amazon app supports their service better than their own FireTV as it can do 24fps passthrough (same on netflix as well).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have to say, offiical Marshmallow on the N9 feels pretty drat good so far. Snappy for now, we'll see if it holds.

Smoother than the preview has been anyways and a ton better than Lollipop.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

bull3964 posted:

I have to say, offiical Marshmallow on the N9 feels pretty drat good so far. Snappy for now, we'll see if it holds.

When did yours update? Mine still won't grab it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zenintrude posted:

I burned it down and did it manually. I was on the preview so I had to anyways. Formatted all the partitions and installed them one at a time.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I had to make sure I was on the right LMY48T build which required sideloading, then on reboot it had the 6.0 update immediately available, even though I was prepared with the 6.0 bits to sideload too. For some reason my N9 never got the LMY48M to LMY48T build, and I guess you can't go from LMY48M to 6.0. Might check that if you aren't seeing the notification that an update is available.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Stick your device in airplane mode, go to the Apps menu in Settings, open Google Services Framework. Clear cache, clear data, force close. Then turn off airplane mode. After that, try checking for updates again. I've had good success with that on my wife's Nexus 5 for the past few updates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: This is not the Android phone thread.]

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

Stick your device in airplane mode, go to the Apps menu in Settings, open Google Services Framework. Clear cache, clear data, force close. Then turn off airplane mode. After that, try checking for updates again. I've had good success with that on my wife's Nexus 5 for the past few updates.
Don't do this.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, definitely a big improvement, but since I wiped the thing to install the factory image it might have been the fresh installation. Whatever, it feels better and snappier than it did before, when it was superfast one second and took several hundred milliseconds to do something the next.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Fantastic explanation of why not to do it, which I've never seen before. Thanks so much for sharing it. Makes a lot more sense now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I did a dumb thing; I was trying to install the 6.0 ota on my nexus 9 and it seemed to be stuck on "Shutting down..." for like five minutes, so I did a forced shutdown.

Now System Update thinks I'm up to date with 5.1.1. Is there anything I can do about this short of plugging it in to install 6.0 over adb or whatever?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TheQat posted:

I did a dumb thing; I was trying to install the 6.0 ota on my nexus 9 and it seemed to be stuck on "Shutting down..." for like five minutes, so I did a forced shutdown.

Now System Update thinks I'm up to date with 5.1.1. Is there anything I can do about this short of plugging it in to install 6.0 over adb or whatever?

Wait for it to tell you to update again?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TheQat posted:

Sure it was the 6.0 OTA? There are two, a security update, which is still 5.1.1. (LMY48T) and then the 6.0 OTA is its own update. Maybe you only installed the first yet?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
10 weeks later and my replacement SHIELD tablet has finally shipped.

EDIT: It came with a box full of fire retardant packaging prepaid return shipping. Booooo!

Budgie fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 9, 2015

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Budgie posted:

EDIT: It came with a box full of fire retardant packaging prepaid return shipping. Booooo!

Anecdotal, but I never shipped my old one and they have not said one word about it. My stance is I can ship it if they ever make a fuss about it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Decius posted:

Sure it was the 6.0 OTA? There are two, a security update, which is still 5.1.1. (LMY48T) and then the 6.0 OTA is its own update. Maybe you only installed the first yet?

This is probably what happened.

The same thing went down with my 9 last night. I went to check for updates again and then marshmallow started downloading.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Stormangel posted:

Anecdotal, but I never shipped my old one and they have not said one word about it. My stance is I can ship it if they ever make a fuss about it.

Ehh better safe than burning to death in my sleep...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Stormangel posted:

Are you sure they didn't charge your credit card for the new one...?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Budgie posted:

Mine took 5 weeks to ship. I got an email at the 4 week mark apologizing for the delays. I responded ripping the up one side and down the other on the poor customer service angle (seriously, if you say 2-4 weeks, you know by week 2 if you're behind, send a "We're working hard on getting your replacement out!" email before the outside of the window. Customer service 101.)

Someone responded with something resembling an apology and asked for my serial #. The day I sent the response, I got the UPS My Choice email, and the actual shipping notice from nVidia the next day. A full week after I got my tablet and the fireproof return box I got en email from the guy saying "your replacement should ship on <date I got the UPS email>".

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that the whole process is being handled by a third-party company. Who is apparently lovely at their jobs.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

wooger posted:

Are you sure they didn't charge your credit card for the new one...?

They didn't ask for any credit card info. Just name and address, and a shiny new Shield was on the way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nexus 9 battery life has been pretty decent since the update. I've been off charge since noon on the 10th and have 6hr 50min screen on time and I just now hit the 15% warning.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
so my 2013 N7 got the 6.0 update message yesterday and I ran it, showed it installing then device rebooted and showed 5.1.1 and told me no update available.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Keyser S0ze posted:

so my 2013 N7 got the 6.0 update message yesterday and I ran it, showed it installing then device rebooted and showed 5.1.1 and told me no update available.

Is it rooted?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it rooted?

nope completely stock

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Keyser S0ze posted:

Did it actually indicate it was the 6.0 update? My 2013 N7 and my N6 got updates yesterday, but they were both to the last 5.1.1. build (LMY48T), which I think is a prerequisite for updating to 6.0.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, you know that might have been it......I was sitting right by my buddy with his Nexus 5 and we were downloading at the same time. I just assumed it was 6.0.........and yeah I'm at 5.1.1 now so that's what it was.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm interested, has anyone here got the Lenovo Yoga 2 10.1 tablet? Opinions?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

6.0 is pretty nice! I suggest everyone try it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

zenintrude posted:

6.0 is pretty nice! I suggest everyone try it.

My Nexus 10 doesn't give me that option :saddowns: I guess I could look into whether there are any community 6.0 roms for it, but eh, effort.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

My Nexus 10 doesn't give me that option :saddowns: I guess I could look into whether there are any community 6.0 roms for it, but eh, effort.

There's already a 6.0 rom for Nexus 10 and it's really not that difficult to install. It requires a factory reset unfortunately so backup your data first. I already have it on my Nexus 10 and so far it's much faster and smoother than 5.1.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I picked up this tablet a little while back for the price, and it's pretty nice except the speakers suck. I've heard that this is the case for cheaper tablets often, and indeed this is a refurbished model whose speakers are directly soldered onto the board rather than plugged in through a ZIF connector. Anyway, I'm looking to get some bluetooth speakers to go along with it to supplement the poor sound (which IMO is my only gripe with it). What would you guys recommend for good speakers?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even just a $20 offering would sound better than the built in one.

Walmart has this great policy where you can return items no questions asked for thirty days with receipt.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Hey look the Nexus 9 is good for something.