Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

StealthArcher posted:

Seriously, Cyron has some bad opinions, but Fishmech, SmoothRich, Boosted_C5 or jRodefelde he isn't.

i have no clue who any of the names are, but thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cyron posted:

i have no clue who any of the names are, but thanks?

2 really over done trolls, a literal ancap, and our very own resident returning Mitt Romney fanboy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Compendium posted:

Ah, GG talk, I didn't miss you.
We can do Voice Actor Strike talk, I've come to the realization that so many people hate Troy Baker :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

achillesforever6 posted:

We can do Voice Actor Strike talk, I've come to the realization that so many people hate Troy Baker :smith:

How many of them hate Baker "because he's in everything"

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though

So it's just like movies, or TV, or comic books, or novels, or video games, or...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tae posted:

Well that and the reason he quit twitter is because he got dogpiled for making a joke about how Brett Michaels now looks like if caitlyn jenner and Mickey Rourke had a child, which is a dumb joke, but nothing to launch a crusade over.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Tae posted:

I think it's fair to be tired of him being the main characters in almost everything, but that's not really his fault. It's the fault of the casting directors who keep hiring him to do the same voice in every game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Don't know if Laura Bailey's gotten on the strike team yet, but I can guarantee that she's not being paid enough because she's loving magic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Don't know if Laura Bailey's gotten on the strike team yet, but I can guarantee that she's not being paid enough because she's loving magic.

You should check out Critical Role if you want lots of Laura Bailey.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Hope it does something and anti union people are the worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I think it's fair to be tired of him being the main characters in almost everything, but that's not really his fault. It's the fault of the casting directors who keep hiring him to do the same voice in every game.

It's also because the voice acting industry is a very insular and commercially incestuous industry, primarily because of those casting directors who would rather cast proven talent than take a chance on an unknown. On the one hand, Troy Baker is merely the latest recipient the in a growing line of "Nolan North/Steve Blum/Jennifer Hale is in EVERYTHING" complaints. But on the other hand, he did do a press event for InFamous: Second Son with Travis Willingham on IGN where he basically (if jokingly) tore the mask off this kind of industry culture by noting how the three main leads of the game were played by himself, his best friend (Willingham) and his best friend's wife (Laura Bailey). And yet again, people like Baker, Willingham, and Bailey still do deserve to get these kinds of roles because they're spectacularly good at what they do.

Jimbot posted:

Case in point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the people who cry foul over this voice actors union strike by countering "well the developers get paid even less, gently caress you you lazy VAs and let the real game makers get their due!"
Now I fully understand wanting some equality for the people who put in the long hours it takes to make a game. I don't know why it has to be argued against another group that is also being screwed but just happens to have a union defending them. Ideally both game devs and voice actors should get better treatment, but I'm not about to knock the VAs down a peg just because the Devs haven't gone on strike yet. That's the same mentality that you cannot feel empathy for anything other than the current worst tragedy.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

achillesforever6 posted:

But his voice is so dreamy :smith:

Rhonne posted:

But that's understandable too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love the people who cry foul over this voice actors union strike by countering "well the developers get paid even less, gently caress you you lazy VAs and let the real game makers get their due!"
Now I fully understand wanting some equality for the people who put in the long hours it takes to make a game. I don't know why it has to be argued against another group that is also being screwed but just happens to have a union defending them. Ideally both game devs and voice actors should get better treatment, but I'm not about to knock the VAs down a peg just because the Devs haven't gone on strike yet. That's the same mentality that you cannot feel empathy for anything other than the current worst tragedy.

You had the same during the Teacher strike or with the debate for the raise of the minimum wage. It's basically just lovely concern trolling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There's this strange attitude us Americans have where everyone deserves to be treated as equals but nobody is allowed to ask to be treated as an equal. Everyone will talk about how everyone should be paid fairly but if people start asking to be paid fairly then they are just lazy and entitled, and god help you if your fight for fair pay causes me minor inconvenience

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

And Travis Willingham, hell I'm surprised that Troy or Robin Atkin Downes or Roger Craig Smith or Nolan North hasn't shown up as guests.

Kind of amazing how most of those voice actors I just named do most of the voices for animated Marvel universe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

achillesforever6 posted:

And Travis Willingham, hell I'm surprised that Troy or Robin Atkin Downes or Roger Craig Smith or Nolan North hasn't shown up as guests.

Kind of amazing how most of those voice actors I just named do most of the voices for animated Marvel universe.

Critical Role has two Black Widows.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
EDIT: \/\/\/ Never mind; that sounds like a much better idea.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can we talk about anime instead

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The new Is the Order a Rabbit season 2 and Yuru yuri is this season.

There's also gonna be a new GARO, so that's cool.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I really want to watch log horizon. It reaaly feels like a show where the creator loves mmos for more then the power fantasy of sword art online.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I guess Travis and Laura dragged Troy to one episode and he promptly went "NEEEEEERDS! :byodood:" and left because he doesn't play D&D.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The DM, Matthew Mercer, replaced Troy Baker was Kanji anyway and no one was the wiser, so Troy Baker don't matter no more.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cyron posted:

I really want to watch log horizon. It reaaly feels like a show where the creator loves mmos for more then the power fantasy of sword art online.

It is. It also helps that everyone's pretty much at the peak of their level and trying to make a society is more important than getting loot.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I've tried to watch Log Horizon like 3 times because it seems cool and everyone recommends it, but I can never get through the first episode.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
1st episode of the new Gundam was cool.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyB8V7Na_0

Ross Scott, guy behind Freeman's Mind and Ross' Game Dungeon has put out a video looking for donations. It's fifteen minutes long and is entertaining as hell, along with being informative. He's got a quite loyal fanbase and has gotten a good response so far. It was neat to see some hard numbers from someone who does video entertainment for a living.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
https://my.mixtape.moe/pvsjgv.webm

Okay, I had gotten pretty bored but of the whole thing, but Gamergate still manages to be really funny every now and then.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Honestly I'll still champion the AE Podcast (https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast) as being really funny and interesting for even non fans. It's just a good long look at the biggest period in Wrestling and all the insane, absurd poo poo that happened along with the amazing stuff.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly I'll still champion the AE Podcast (https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast) as being really funny and interesting for even non fans. It's just a good long look at the biggest period in Wrestling and all the insane, absurd poo poo that happened along with the amazing stuff.

The AE guys are great about making their subjects accessible to non-fans. Kefin Mahon just started a podcast with his girlfriend called How2Wrestling, which is aimed specifically at new watchers. Each episode focuses on a individual wrestler or tag team, and rotates between modern and classic.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though

Wait. Next tell me that Star Wars isn't fact

gently caress off. I hate everyone that thinks they're so smart for saying wresting is fake. I classify it against people who say smoking is bad for you or the book is better than the movie. All you're doing is sucking your own dick and trying to sound smarter than the layman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

gently caress off. I hate everyone that thinks they're so smart for saying wresting is fake. I classify it against people who say smoking is bad for you or the book is better than the movie. All you're doing is sucking your own dick and trying to sound smarter than the layman.

David Duchovny said that back in 95 or so he did a scene with Jesse Ventura and talked to him about wrestling being fake and Jesse Ventura got really mad and insisted it was real.

I guess before they came out of the closet officially with it being fake, wrestlers could get blacklisted for telling people the truth.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

David Duchovny said that back in 95 or so he did a scene with Jesse Ventura and talked to him about wrestling being fake and Jesse Ventura got really mad and insisted it was real.

I guess before they came out of the closet officially with it being fake, wrestlers could get blacklisted for telling people the truth.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tracula posted:

All you're doing is sucking your own dick and trying to sound smarter than the layman.

The book is better than the movie real often tho :eng101:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 10, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Relax, WWE is theatre with stunts. The Fake/Not Fake-dichotomy doesn't even apply anymore.

Kinda makes you wonder how other forms of theatre got started.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

Relax, WWE is theatre with stunts. The Fake/Not Fake-dichotomy doesn't even apply anymore.

Kinda makes you wonder how other forms of theatre got started.

it hard to say, the history of wrestling started off as people saying it was a sport. When Vince said it was not real in the 80's the promoters from other territories was coming to the WWF shows with guns wanting to kill him. wrestling is very carny, and it kind of it charm.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 10, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yardbomb posted:

The book is better than the movie real often tho :eng101:

Well, that depends. Pretty often the movie is very different from the books, making it hard to judge which one is "better". There are also some garbage books that were turned into great movies. So it's not always the case that the book is better.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tracula posted:

Stop getting angry about wrestling. Also stop smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
It's pretty simple. High School wrestling is real. Olympic wrestling is real. Sumo Wrestling is real (although there has been controversy over some match fixing). Professional Wrestling? Totally fixed and a lot of it is scripted and everyone pretty much knows this by now. Those who still believe it's real are just the last few stubborn morons left. BUT there is still a lot of competitiveness and athletics involved in Professional Wrestling so it's okay to call it a sport if you want to.

• Locked thread