Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nerve posted:

Isn't 1 Password a pretty popular alternative?
I switched.
I like it, but really need to use some of the more advanced features one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Motorola has made it kinda clear that they aren't interested in supporting carrier locked devices. So I'm not entirely surprised at the 2014 Moto X carrier locked devices not getting updates. I am surprised that they haven't announced whether the Moto E versions are. There might be hardware limitations, but I figured most of the internals were identical to the Moto G. Hopefully they mention they at least upgrade the Moto E's.

It's early days, but I'm looking at it this way: we know of a few omissions from that list which are very deliberate, which does not bode well for the omission of the 2015 E and friends.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Keepass with BitTorrentSync is a pretty great combination as an alternative.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

The battery in my galaxy s3 burns out in a hot minute these days but I'm too poor to upgrade. I'm looking on amazon for a replacement but all the OEM replacements from samsung have notably poorer reviews than a bunch of off-brand replacements, but that seems kind of shady to me. What's the common wisdom on replacement batteries?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Cyberbird posted:

The battery in my galaxy s3 burns out in a hot minute these days but I'm too poor to upgrade. I'm looking on amazon for a replacement but all the OEM replacements from samsung have notably poorer reviews than a bunch of off-brand replacements, but that seems kind of shady to me. What's the common wisdom on replacement batteries?

Get one by Anker, they're all over Amazon with varying mAh. Pretty cheap and free shipping w/ prime

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

broken clock opsec posted:

LogMeIn as far as I can tell/remember has 2 strikes against it:

1) dece software but for idiots, also a security risk
2) bad mid-level business account pricing/support

Neither of which seems entirely relevant to LastPass. So I'm going to be neutral on this.

They also suddenly and abruptly killed off their free service after years with only a month's warning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't comment on Anker's batteries, but their customer service is great. I got one of their 6-port charging stations earlier this year and one port burned out so I sent in a web request and they sent me a new one free of charge in a couple days and I don't even have to return the old one with 5/6 working ports.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

They also suddenly and abruptly killed off their free service after years with only a month's warning.

Yep. I used it to help my elderly parents like 1-3 times per year (2k miles away). Now it's gone and I am not flying there to set up a new free program. Paying for it is not a value proposition I want to do so oh well. They don't use their computer any more.

I'm a cheap crybaby I guess but some sort of an access plan like they had for years would be welcome. Like limited to 5 single logins in 12 months or something? Oh well.

Anyway still going to use LastPass until they gently caress it up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nerve posted:

Isn't 1 Password a pretty popular alternative?

I went from 1password to lastpass, the 1password android app was pretty bad. The iOSness of it was really off putting too (this may not be an issue for all).

You also had to pair it with dropbox to make it useful, with no google drive option. I'd rather not have yet another app on my phone to allow another to work

This was a year or two ago though, so all that may have changed

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Yep. I used it to help my elderly parents like 1-3 times per year (2k miles away). Now it's gone and I am not flying there to set up a new free program. Paying for it is not a value proposition I want to do so oh well. They don't use their computer any more.

I'm a cheap crybaby I guess but some sort of an access plan like they had for years would be welcome. Like limited to 5 single logins in 12 months or something? Oh well.

Anyway still going to use LastPass until they gently caress it up.

I worked for a company that sold Windows XP Embedded based broadcast appliances. They had around 5k units in the field. Each one used LogMeIn Free as their remote support tool. When I was running the helpdesk I made it a point to mention several times to my managers and directors that we were using a free program to provide paid support and eventually we'd lose it.

They quit the free option about five days after I quit. I was extremely happy with that decision.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
People on Reddit are suggesting 1password or Dashlane as possible replacements. Dashlane looks more promising, but from what I can gather, it lacks two killer features of Lastpass on Android: 1) It doesn't do auto-logins inside the Chrome browser, only its own in-app browser (it does do auto login within other apps though). 2) Even worse, it only supports fingerprint unlocking on Samsung devices, not on Nexus or any other Android that has a fingerprint scanner.

For now, I'm sticking with Lastpass until they gently caress it up, but I did cancel my auto-renewal subscription.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Well, the nail in the coffin for my desire for a Priv.

Blackberry will stop making handsets forever if the Priv doesn't sell 5 million handsets:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/08/blackberry-will-stop-making-handsets-within-in-a-year-if-the-priv-fails/

It's funny because they probably released this statement to drum up interest for people on the fence to help "support" BB by purchasing one. Only it does the opposite for me because it's a gamble that if you buy one you'll ever get support for it again after it's released - probably including software/OS updates.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

TollTheHounds posted:

Blackberry will stop making handsets forever if the Priv doesn't sell 5 million handsets:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/08/blackberry-will-stop-making-handsets-within-in-a-year-if-the-priv-fails/

It's funny because they probably released this statement to drum up interest for people on the fence to help "support" BB by purchasing one. Only it does the opposite for me because it's a gamble that if you buy one you'll ever get support for it again after it's released - probably including software/OS updates.

If they wanted to gauge interest, just do a Kickstarter an Indiegogo campaign like Canonical did with Ubuntu Edge

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The Merkinman posted:

If they wanted to gauge interest, just do a Kickstarter an Indiegogo campaign like Canonical did with Ubuntu Edge

Yeah exactly! I would have 100% backed a Priv if they'd gone that route, but since they haven't I'm now not buying one ( or pledging to buy one ) and have lost complete confidence in that dumb company.

I honestly can't figure out why they would make a statement like that before the phone is even released except to intentionally torpedo it so they can say "Well we tried!!" :downsgun:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wax Dynasty posted:

People on Reddit are suggesting 1password or Dashlane as possible replacements. Dashlane looks more promising, but from what I can gather, it lacks two killer features of Lastpass on Android: 1) It doesn't do auto-logins inside the Chrome browser, only its own in-app browser (it does do auto login within other apps though). 2) Even worse, it only supports fingerprint unlocking on Samsung devices, not on Nexus or any other Android that has a fingerprint scanner.

For now, I'm sticking with Lastpass until they gently caress it up, but I did cancel my auto-renewal subscription.

Does dashlane even have a web extension client?

Not sure how Lastpass can support fingerprint readers on Android phones other than Samsungs when there aren't any other significant ones:

Nexus phones with them aren't out yet.
One Plus 2 is a joke.
HTC is a joke, with their fingerprint data stored in a globally readable file on the SD card.

The 5x/6p will get support when released for sure.

No way I'm ditching Lastpass till proven incompetent, but I'll be only manually updating the apps / extensions and checking for odd changes.

It's been perfect for me for some years, and I don't want to move to a service with no support for Linux (1password), nor one with no autofill (Keepass). It'll just stop me using secure passwords.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/10/01/new-update-23-4-a-1-232-rolling-for-xperia-z2z3-series-with-full-stagefright-fix/

Stagefright fix from Sony.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TollTheHounds posted:

Apparently Sony's said pretty much the same thing. Which is also ironic considering they've been taking forever to make the Z5 series even available in markets like the US.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nm

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

wooger posted:

Not sure how Lastpass can support fingerprint readers on Android phones other than Samsungs when there aren't any other significant ones:

Bank of America did it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Super Dude posted:

Bank of America did it.

For which phones?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If anyone is considering purchasing an HTC device then you might want to reconsider. I will be getting kicked out of my office in late November as North American support is being outsourced to Columbia and The Phillipines (they are both really bad). By the way, I work with HTC in a call center location.

Also, if you ever need a device sent in for a repair or replacement chances are you'll get a broken device back. I've spoken with way too many customers claiming to have more issues or damage upon receipt of their device from the US repair center. The image below is just one of the many pictures I have received. HTC is sinking so fast. RIP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wooger posted:

By implenting the FingerPrintManager in Android, your app automatically supports fingerprint readers as long as the manufacturer didn't do some special snowflake thing with their reader.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thermopyle posted:

By implenting the FingerPrintManager in Android, your app automatically supports fingerprint readers as long as the manufacturer didn't do some special snowflake thing with their reader.

API level 23, AKA Marshmallow. Which is on zero phones with a fingerprint reader so far.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

If anyone is considering purchasing an HTC device then you might want to reconsider. I will be getting kicked out of my office in late November as North American support is being outsourced to Columbia and The Phillipines (they are both really bad). By the way, I work with HTC in a call center location.

Also, if you ever need a device sent in for a repair or replacement chances are you'll get a broken device back. I've spoken with way too many customers claiming to have more issues or damage upon receipt of their device from the US repair center. The image below is just one of the many pictures I have received. HTC is sinking so fast. RIP.

Thanks for the heads-up. My M8 is a genuinely good device-- sucks to know that if I break it I might as well just get something else instead of repairing.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Are the motomaker status emails reliable or just random?

Ordered an X Pure last night, it was back ordered to Oct 30. 6 hours later I got a second email saying it's in assembly. I actually don't want this thing here for the next week since I'll be out of town and don't want to burn my 2 week period...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Ordered an X Pure last night, it was back ordered to Oct 30. 6 hours later I got a second email saying it's in assembly. I actually don't want this thing here for the next week since I'll be out of town and don't want to burn my 2 week period...
Just because it's being manufactured now doesn't mean it's going to get done quickly. When I ordered one it was in manufacturing for a week or two. Their estimates are pretty spot on for how long it'll actually take to get to you.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Ah, good to know, thanks.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

My company outsourced most of its level 2 support to the Philippines and we've gotten nothing but complaints.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Imagine if the TPP gets through

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wooger posted:

API level 23, AKA Marshmallow. Which is on zero phones with a fingerprint reader so far.

I'm not sure what you're asking then.

I was answering the question "how can LastPass support fingerprint readers on multiple devices?"

The answer to that question is "by implementing the Android API for doing so".

I assume the answer on how to do so prior to the implementation of that API is obvious, so I didn't answer that...by implementing whatever custom API the OEM came up with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Have any more detailed reviews of the Nexuses come out yet? I gotta place an order for something. My Moto X is still doing the optimizing apps thing even after a hard reset, and I'm experiencing wifi connectivity issues.

LionYeti posted:

My company outsourced most of its level 2 support to the Philippines and we've gotten nothing but complaints.

They have an interesting culture in the Philippines about work life. At a company I used to work for, we had outsourced our AP processing there. They would fairly often leave quite a bit of work for our US leads to fix or just process things that should have been done over there.

We sent a guy over to see what was up. It was typical for them to just decide to leave work for the day, or screw off for a few hours to go play basketball. A fairly admirable bohemian work ethic if you ask me.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Have any more detailed reviews of the Nexuses come out yet? I gotta place an order for something. My Moto X is still doing the optimizing apps thing even after a hard reset, and I'm experiencing wifi connectivity issues.

No one has them yet as far as I can tell.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking then.

I was answering the question "how can LastPass support fingerprint readers on multiple devices?"

The answer to that question is "by implementing the Android API for doing so".

I assume the answer on how to do so prior to the implementation of that API is obvious, so I didn't answer that...by implementing whatever custom API the OEM came up with.

He's saying there aren't any other Android devices with fingerprint readers to support yet because the new Nexuses aren't out yet and Marshmallow is a couple days old. I'm not trying to be rude but your reading comprehension has been pretty bad lately. Are you doing ok duder? Getting enough sleep?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Whizbang posted:

He's saying there aren't any other Android devices with fingerprint readers to support yet because the new Nexuses aren't out yet and Marshmallow is a couple days old.

Yes, I comprehend this. I'm saying that that is irrelevant to the information I was providing.

In other words, I agree with his point. I was merely pointing out as an aside that there is a nice generic way going forward to support fingerprint readers.

His bringing up that it's only available in 6.0 is either an aside to my aside, or he didn't understand that I was providing an aside, or he thought I was attempting to contradict his point.

Whizbang posted:

I'm not trying to be rude but your reading comprehension has been pretty bad lately.

Apparently so, because I have no idea what you're talking about with this statement.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Haha no. They weren't even close in my case and I had to file a dispute with my credit card to get them to refund me when I had to give up and buy an iPhone after they told me quoted shipping date was a system error and I might get my device in October (this was around September 20).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Apparently Sony's said pretty much the same thing. Which is also ironic considering they've been taking forever to make the Z5 series even available in markets like the US.
Gee I wonder why their plan of "never bring any good devices to the US except the ones that cost $750 and are probably carrier locked" isn't working out. They make great stuff but the way they sell it in America is idiotic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sony really, really, really wants to be thought of the same way people think of Apple, but they don't do anything to earn it and assume that if they price things high, people will assume their goods are demonstrably better than lower-priced competition, despite peddling the exact same things as everyone they compete with directly.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Sony really, really, really wants to be thought of the same way people think of Apple, but they don't do anything to earn it and assume that if they price things high, people will assume their goods are demonstrably better than lower-priced competition, despite peddling the exact same things as everyone they compete with directly.

This has basically been the case for just about every product that bears the Sony brand, not just phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

This has basically been the case for just about every product that bears the Sony brand, not just phones.

Yeah, I wasn't really limiting it to phones, but I wasn't explicit about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

The PS4 is priced reasonably and is arguably the best game console out.