Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

slidebite posted:

Just getting into this again after a 2 month hiatus and see tons of posts and several things in game which I don't know mean. Also, seems like mining might be a thing now? :monocle:

Easy question though: Is there enough of a price difference in the same system to price shop for selling stuff? I'm at a small outpost and I can make a 951cr/t profit on what I've got in my inventory (I don't remember what it is.. they're worth about 5K/T though.) Should I bother trying to go to one of the more massive bases in the system with a higher population that has the same economy? My Python is loaded up with 158t of this stuff.

In my experience, shopping around for a better sell price is not worth the time required. Because you'll have to hop around a bunch, you may as well be using that travel time to buy and sell instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

CQC is good concept but awful. Gimbaled weapons should be removed.

Main game still boring as gently caress, I don't see how planetary landings will change it.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 9, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
wHat isn't elite telling us????? horizon hoax???

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
For those that would poo-poo the glorious potato world as a boring height map as a non sphereical dull rock... it's kinda what they're going for...

Only suggestion I'd make is let's get a few more goddamn huge crater impacts on there.

Buzz is getting ready to punch some fools.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 9, 2015

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013
Mining is a thing. Don't know if it's as profitable as trading or bounty hunting but it's not complete garbage.

Friendly reminder: You should definitely use prospecting drones. It gives you about 5 times more stuff. Using a size 2 laser my mining time per asteroid went from about 20 seconds to over 100 seconds.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

Sylink posted:

CQC is good concept but awful. Gimbaled weapons should be removed.

actually its good

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
He's right about gimbals in CQC though. They really make the whole thing less interesting than it could be.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
holy gently caress i suck at CQC

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

He's right about gimbals in CQC though. They really make the whole thing less interesting than it could be.

Use chaff. The sidewinder has gimbals because it's slow.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This is perfect. Whats the original video anyways?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Running dual cannons on the eagle in CQC is some silly fun, but I don't know how well it will work against anyone who knows what they're doing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Tom Guycot posted:

This is perfect. Whats the original video anyways?
Aliens On The Moon: The Truth Exposed :suicide:
It's on Netflix

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The Bacon City Hangover
08 OCT 3301
Last week, the starport of Bacon City played host to the inaugural Bacon Protests anniversary celebrations, which commemorated the repeal of the meat ban that affected citizens of the Carnoeck system in 3288. Revellers from across the galaxy descended on Bacon City to join in the fun, and hundreds of independent pilots ferried animal meat and narcotics to the starport to fuel the festivities.

The event was not without problems, however, as the steady stream of traders and party goers attracted pirates and other disruptive elements to Bacon City. At one point, the starport was blockaded by an animal-rights group, who ordered ships carrying animal meat to jettison their cargo at gunpoint.

A spokesperson for United Carnoeck for Equality, the event's sponsors, released the following announcement:

"For the most part the celebrations have been a huge success, but an event like this is bound to attract a few unsavoury elements. Fortunately we anticipated such an eventuality, and set aside some money for the post-party cleanup. So if you're a bounty hunter and you want to help clear the spaceways around Bacon City, get yourself to the Carnoeck system! We'll make it worth your while."

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I saw at least one person complaining about the mission npcs who follow you to offer you a different job, but if you're doing a combat mission you might be in luck, those npcs can now be mission targets, which as far as I know was never possible before 1.4.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Tried mining on my Asp with 2x medium lasers. Only annoyance is they run out of juice pretty quick, but they dig faster than 4 drones can collect everything. Anyone have an Asp fit you'd care to share for mining?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Any idea when we'll be getting 1.5 yet? I know "Holiday 2015" but that's a wide berth. They haven't said anything more specific, have they?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Crimson Harvest posted:

Tried mining on my Asp with 2x medium lasers. Only annoyance is they run out of juice pretty quick, but they dig faster than 4 drones can collect everything. Anyone have an Asp fit you'd care to share for mining?

Here's mine. The big FSD is so I can easily swap to trading/smuggling when I don't feel like mining or Vulturing. I use a C3 shield, which doesn't provide much protection for an Asp, but I mine in remote areas so I seldom have to deal with pirates, and using a C3 shield lets me slap a bigger cargo hold onto that 5 slot. I'm too paranoid to go without a shield entirely.

I use one C2 mining laser and it still outpaces 3 collectors, so I imagine it would sync pretty well with four. I wouldn't bother with multiple mining lasers unless I was running a bigass ship that could put out like 6 collectors and still have cargo space. I put a C2 pulse laser on the other medium slot just in case I run into a pirate. Four smalls and one medium does fine against small targets.

I stopped being lazy and started rerolling the bulletin when I turned in my mining stuff. Got almost $3M from my last run because I scored a few dozen painite and the board kept rolling $300,000 painite missions :woop:.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
"You can boost inside a station and get stuck between pads and blown up for loitering"

This message brought to you by half a bottle of bourbon, half a bottle of wine, a few Guinness, and whatever the hell size beers they were serving at the work picnic

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

"You can boost inside a station and get stuck between pads and blown up for loitering"

This message brought to you by half a bottle of bourbon, half a bottle of wine, a few Guinness, and whatever the hell size beers they were serving at the work picnic

Next time quit and then reload, and your ship will be safely outside the station, and you can try again. It saved my rear end one time when a similar thing happened to me. But for me It was caused by an ultra-length stutter that hit a split second after i fired my thrusters on the way to the landing pad. When the stutter was done, I was all the way across the station, and was stuck bouncing around underneath some architectural poo poo, and couldn't escape. :frontear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Memories off booting up the game, going to the surface, hitting launch and immediately raising gear to fly out of the station LIKE A BOSS and realizing your throttle wasn't at zero and frantically hitting keys to re-lower your gear only to go into silent running and gently caress your poo poo up
:frogdowns:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DatonKallandor posted:

There's something off about the LoDing in CQC, especially in the killer cam. If I had to guess I'd say the LoDing system thinks the distance to the killer is from your death location, not from the camera looking at him afterwards, so you get reduced quality for killcam, depending on how far away your killer was from you when he killed you. Thruster FX especially jumps from "huge so you can see it from 1km away" on the killcam (despite being much closer than that) to regular sized when you're back in your cockpit after a respawn.

This happens because the killcam is at your death location, and frontier just decreases the FoV to zoom in on your killer. Apparently this is something they'd never been doing in the game before now, because it was messing with the UI at first.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CQC players: Whats your opinion on plasma repeaters? Yes or no? I can't make up my mind, damage is great but it doesn't seem to be useful at any kind of distance.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Just tried CQC for the first time and drat it's fun. After flying a python for so long, and now an anaconda, it was amazing to zip around in the condor, especially with flight assist off :catdrugs:

I even got the second highest score on my second match, against a bunch of rank 3-14 dudes, which took me from rank 1 to rank 3 and made me feel like space rambo (I probably actually suck though and everyone else was drunk).

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love the Condor. I can't wait to be able to use it in the main game.

Pity it doesn't have a Frameshift Friendship Drive.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I must be the only one rolling around in an Eagle. Is there anything better for straight up shooting dudes? I don't really care for mining or trading.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Romes128 posted:

I must be the only one rolling around in an Eagle. Is there anything better for straight up shooting dudes? I don't really care for mining or trading.

Yeah, Viper, then Vulture. Very slightly less manoeuvrable, but much heavier armament and shields/armour.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Any good locations near bacon city for finding bounties? I've checked out the nav beacon but I can't find much else.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Use chaff. The sidewinder has gimbals because it's slow.

Don't all the ships in cqc have gimbals? They all autotarget

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

The ones on the sidewinder have a greater range of motion.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a bug where your repair is stuck at 10credits, but can't be cleared? Even when you buy a new ship.

Also interdictions are suddenly quite harder to pull out of, before it was pretty generous with where you kept your escape heading but now demands you stay pretty bang on to prevent being pulled out of space.

I guess that 1.4.1 patch can't come soon enough.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It's not based on the ship, but the weapon - some ships like the sidewinder unlock certain weapons that have no gimbals at all. Sidey unlocks a fixed multicannon at level 14 or so, and a gimbaled at 50, for example.

Also, a public service announcement for anyone playing CQC: Be aware that the CQC ship guns have a much, much shorter effective range than the ones in the main game. The standard pulses on the condor and sidey will start petering out at something like 750 meters instead of ~2km we're used to in the main game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

CQC players: Whats your opinion on plasma repeaters? Yes or no? I can't make up my mind, damage is great but it doesn't seem to be useful at any kind of distance.

I love them because you only need one pip in weapons to kill a dude with them, freeing your distribution to full engines. Combined with a firepower upgrade they can kill a fully shielded eagle or condor in one pass.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ddi they improve the open play missions at all?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

WebDog posted:

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a bug where your repair is stuck at 10credits, but can't be cleared? Even when you buy a new ship.

Also interdictions are suddenly quite harder to pull out of, before it was pretty generous with where you kept your escape heading but now demands you stay pretty bang on to prevent being pulled out of space.

I guess that 1.4.1 patch can't come soon enough.

Don't expect it to go back to normal, they said that they wanted interdictions by NPCs to be harder for 1.4, but they've conceded that it's perhaps a little too hard now.

Seems to go off ship rank from what I saw last night, struggled against dangerous, deadly and elite ships (even type 9s), but anything lower was a breeze.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Gort posted:

Yeah, Viper, then Vulture. Very slightly less manoeuvrable, but much heavier armament and shields/armour.

Is the Viper actually better than Cobra? I am currently in Gende where there are 3 RES within short range of a High-Tech station so I figure I'll just stick around until I have enough for a Vulture. I have a Cobra with B-class everything but if Viper is better for combat, I might as well go for that.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sekenr posted:

I don't like them because of the distance thing, far too easy to just miss everything.

Kryopsis posted:

Is the Viper actually better than Cobra? I am currently in Gende where there are 3 RES within short range of a High-Tech station so I figure I'll just stick around until I have enough for a Vulture. I have a Cobra with B-class everything but if Viper is better for combat, I might as well go for that.

It is much better, on account of being a smaller target with more powerful shields. The armament is the same, but the placement is much better (which, to be fair, doesn't make much of a difference for PVE).

Power is tight, so sacrifices will have to be made somewhere. Good opportunity to learn about power management if you haven't already.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Gonkish posted:

Any idea when we'll be getting 1.5 yet? I know "Holiday 2015" but that's a wide berth. They haven't said anything more specific, have they?

I'm assuming the day before Christmas.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Crimson Harvest posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05A5D5A4D4A5B5C2m2m181818180404040005041qC040C5P4.Iw18WQ==.CwBhGYCYQRhTIyTBCLnGcQ==?bn=Mining%20Asp

This is what I use to mine in. Divert energy to Weapons and it'll be a a bit before the lasers are out of juice, so much so you might have to stop midway to babysit your refinery as not to get any of that non PPPGO into your hole by venting it.

I should also add that I do not mine in any RES, less likely to run into NPCs that will attack you there.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 10, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally.

bonus: first Earth-like world that I've discovered.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Met posted:

Finally.

That's the center of the Galaxy, right?

• Locked thread