Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
A friend of ours has only recently gotten into board games, so we figured we would get him a game, but I was hoping for a few suggestions. It doesn't have to be co-op, but we don't want to get anything where players directly attack each other. The only exclusion to this would be something that would be a 1 vs many (like maybe Tragedy Looper, which I was considering but haven't played myself).

The main thing is that because they're relatively new to board games, I don't want to get them anything that's too rules heavy. I wasn't sure if Tragedy Looper falls under that, but either way I was hoping for some other options in case the board game store doesn't have it. I was also considering Avalon or Coup if I go more the party route. Euro, american..doesn't matter to much as long as it doesn't take an afternoon to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Everything I just listed above is non-confrontational and suitable for beginners. Also consider Carcassonne.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone got to play Pandemic: Legacy yet?

I really don't like Pandemic or "putting out random fires" co-ops in general... but... it wouldn't take much to get me to buy this. Please push me one way or the other.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

djfooboo posted:

Want to play a game about anime titties without the anime titties!

:nws:spoiler]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/el-alamein-anime-card-game-from-japan[/spoiler]:nws:

Don't put NWS in spoilers you stupid loving dipshit.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I thought Lost Legion was really inconsistent in regards to quality of gameplay and I couldn't bring myself to care about the new one so I'd be perfectly happy if the called the game complete and moved on. Then I wouldn't be tempted to give Wizkids money occasionally.

If you don't like the Volkare scenario the new expansion is actually pretty nice. The faction leaders give a final challenge that is more interesting than just adding more monster tokens to a city. Also, there are rules for shorter games that start at a higher level.

Also, I don't really pay much attention to it but I didn't notice any dips at all in the quality of the new components

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

esquilax posted:

Also, there are rules for shorter games that start at a higher level.

The last couple of games I played with the higher-level rules. I tried a solo conquest, starting at level 3, and removing either two or three countryside tiles (to roughly simulate skipping the first two rounds). Was pretty fun and it wasn't as much of a burden to get a full game in after getting the kids to bed.

Plus the rulebooks are online, so you don't need to buy the expansion to try it out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I was also considering Avalon or Coup if I go more the party route. Euro, american..doesn't matter to much as long as it doesn't take an afternoon to figure out.
Coup needs the expansion to work at large numbers, and Resistance needs an expansion (Hidden Agenda) to be Avalon but it's a better investment than Avalon.

Impermanent posted:

Everything I just listed above is non-confrontational and suitable for beginners. Also consider Carcassonne.
Don't believe the lies. Carcassonne is the most confrontational game there is.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Don't believe the lies. Carcassonne is the most confrontational game there is.
Carcassonne is non-confrontational when played with beginners. Once a group gets to the point that that meta shifts and people begin engaging with the game more deeply, it becomes a knife fight.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Carcassonne might as well be a knife fight in a box once all players know the game and have even a passing idea of how many and what kind of tiles are in the game. It's the best way to play.

edit: Well, I guess I said almost the exact same thing as Impermanent.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm pitching in with a friend's wife to get him Mage Knight for his birth day. Are there any resources, or just general hints/suggestions for 3 new players?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

I'm pitching in with a friend's wife to get him Mage Knight for his birth day. Are there any resources, or just general hints/suggestions for 3 new players?

I suggest you (somehow, don't like open his gift or anything) learn the game well before hand. Watch a bunch of tutorial videos, and play around with the vassal module. Three people learning Mage Knight fresh out of the box is a recipe for disaster. I honestly wouldn't even bother playing with someone that hadn't figured the game out on their own with a solo scenario, personally.

Vassal module:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Mage_Knight_Board_Game

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shadow225 posted:

I'm sure BGG has a good number of player aids, but one important one is a summary of all the buildings and locations and stuff. Everybody needs to have access to it, and for some stupid reason the "aid cards" they gave in the game are double sided, so it ends up being a lot of "Is this building on the other side of this card?" poo poo that muddles the first game. I believe there is also an app that helps with this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spiel day 2 report

Dropped the hammer on Simurgh after watching a few turns played. Promptly met up with Zark and convinced him to do likewise.

Discovered Mombasa, a very nice economic game about not exploiting black people in any way at all, honest. (Seriously - the intro to the rulebook goes to pains to say that this game of building companies across Africa is in no way about exploiting the natives. That the company based out of Cape Town gives influence and diamonds to the player with the most bananas and in the default configuration actually makes you able to trade bananas more efficiently is entirely a coincidence and no reason to think the game is racist stop laughing you fucker.)

Got one of the last copies of Internal Affairs, which is basically Infernal Affairs: the Game (The Departed to all you philistines). Everyone is a mole for either the police or the triads, which being determined by the majority of their three secret ID cards. You have three secret code numbers, and if someone manages to guess one of them you must reveal an ID card. Lose all three and you're out. First team to lose two members loses. This will replace Coup in a lot of collections.

Also picked up Fram R'lyeh, a vaguely Cthulhu themed trick taking game. You have to bid cards that cost you points against the possible value of treasures, with whoever is willing to lose the most points taking the trick. Everyone else loses one point until they next take a trick, when all their lost points go away. At the end of the game the person with the most points wins - unless everyone is below zero, when the player with the fewest points wins.

Last buy of the day was Celestia, a short push your luck game where players earn points by staying aboard a threatened airship as long as they feel they can trust the captain to get them out of trouble. Give up early and you miss out on loot, stay too long and you lose everything.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

esquilax posted:

If you don't like the Volkare scenario the new expansion is actually pretty nice. The faction leaders give a final challenge that is more interesting than just adding more monster tokens to a city. Also, there are rules for shorter games that start at a higher level.

Also, I don't really pay much attention to it but I didn't notice any dips at all in the quality of the new components

Actually the scenarios are good aside from the difficulty not scaling properly with player count. Probably the best part of the expansion.

My main problems are:

Wolfhawk is meh.

Some of the new cards are good but a bunch are really lackluster and just bloat the deck to the point where I kind of just want to take them out. This was especially disappointing to me since before LL came out they talked about increasing the viability of blocking but all they did was add a couple more lovely block cards and nerf Tovak's block. I don't think they understood the fundamental problem with block which is if you're using cards to block you're not using them to kill anything.

Some of the new enemies are a lot tougher than the other enemies of the same color which can make it hard to plan your turns around, say, definitely taking a dungeon. In fact, some of them you pretty much have to block which, combined with the block problems, is kind of lovely.

Basically I don't really have a lot of faith the the designers know what they're doing. I might pick it up if the reprint is good but I'm pretty content with what I have.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Andarel posted:

The best part about Ascension dumb combos is that when the game breaks (Adayu the Serene + the guy who lets you kill monsters in the Void) it takes like an hour to take your turn. I had a chance at comboing off a second time but I accidentally hit "play all" which might have cost me ~2000 more VP. The good news is that if this was in person you just start the combo, get ~30 more points than everyone else, and then everyone packs up and does something else.

I did some pseudo tests on this, and I think what happens is the game can only initialize so many active cards at a time. Once you get past 100 or so, it ignores older cards in favor of the new ones. For instance, older constructs can't be targeted anymore, older hero effects cease to activate, etc. It has something to do with active cards specifically, because if you mill a 500-card deck out, every banished card is still targetable.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I did some pseudo tests on this, and I think what happens is the game can only initialize so many active cards at a time. Once you get past 100 or so, it ignores older cards in favor of the new ones. For instance, older constructs can't be targeted anymore, older hero effects cease to activate, etc. It has something to do with active cards specifically, because if you mill a 500-card deck out, every void card is still targetable.

Unless there's 150+ cards in the void. Then you can't select anything past the first 100 or so cards for monsters (with Emri for killing).

Also, the game can't save that many cards, so if you save the game and come back, it will delete all the cards no longer within the "acceptable" range. If you do a stupid turn like that, you can't save and come back to it.

On top of that, I have gotten the game state to "I do something for 0 resources, and get 4 points. The board state does not change. Repeat ad nauseum." Ascension is a well-designed game. Absolutely.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm gonna let the devs slide on the fact that they designed a game engine around a base card set that was supposed to work within the bounds of that set, and couldn't anticipate what the game would be like 8 expansions down the road, what hardware specs it would run on, or even if they would exist still for that. I remember the game being out on the iPhone 3GS--7 phones generations ago.

Sure, they should switch their variable handling now, but even Blizzard and Wizards (who have orders of magnitude more money to work with) have bugged interactions in their new game sets.

Plus, none if this is actually the case in the physical game itself, it's how the iOS port handles it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tried out a solo game of Legendary Encounters and I quite like it. Went through the suggested Alien campaign with the Gunner avatar. Setup and teardown was way WAY less of a pain in the rear end than Marvel Legendary, mostly due to the fact that you aren't intermingling decks nearly as much. Each objective has its own hazards and events, rather than having to fish through the 9 things you need to build the villain deck. You only have 4 character cards to sort out at the end, rather than 5, which is minor, but helpful. Wounds/Strikes just hang out as HP damage, rather than clog your deck and have to be sorted out later.

It's basically a way more elegant version of Marvel. I was going to get rid of Marvel, but now I can just have Wolverine helping out on the Nostromo and that sounds amazing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Echophonic posted:

It's basically a way more elegant version of Marvel. I was going to get rid of Marvel, but now I can just have Wolverine helping out on the Nostromo and that sounds amazing.

I hope someone there is asking the question of what they could do to port the Encounters stuff back to Legendary. Also, Encounters was co-designed by one of the original designers of the VS System CCG (and of the new VS LCG) and one of the original designers of the WoW TCG. The designer of Legendary was lead developer of M:tG for a year. I wonder how closely those guys work together.

Encounters isn't flawless but it's so much better at doing what those games set out to do.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any news / expansion / anything in the pipeline for Caverna?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm sure BGG has a good number of player aids, but one important one is a summary of all the buildings and locations and stuff. Everybody needs to have access to it, and for some stupid reason the "aid cards" they gave in the game are double sided, so it ends up being a lot of "Is this building on the other side of this card?" poo poo that muddles the first game. I believe there is also an app that helps with this.
It's not that stupid, usually one side is the countryside version and the other is the core tile version. They have similar art and tend to have similar rules. Having more than one set would be nice though.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The real problem is Adayu the Serene, more than anything else. It singlehandedly breaks many decks and auto wins if you play it with a copy effect.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Impermanent posted:

I'll look into Puerto Rico. I own Castles of Burgundy and I'm a huge fan of it, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Though I suppose if I said euro games are okay then I shouldn't count out one that I like as much as that one.

Broken Loose posted:

Coup needs the expansion to work at large numbers, and Resistance needs an expansion (Hidden Agenda) to be Avalon but it's a better investment than Avalon.

I'm not worried about huge player counts so I wouldn't need to worry about the expansion for Coup necessarily (though Coup is cheap enough I'd probably get it anyway). What about Resistance + Hidden Agenda makes it better than Avalon? I thought I heard that Avalon was an improved version of Resistance. Personally, I was never a huge fan of Resistance for a variety of reasons that I figured a slightly different format may change.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

:siren:Skull back in stock for $17.49: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/197222 :siren:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Andarel posted:

The real problem is Adayu the Serene, more than anything else. It singlehandedly breaks many decks and auto wins if you play it with a copy effect.

I think it's the draw more than anything. It should be an option to draw/discard, or banish center, or defeat a monster of X or less on Enlightened or something, instead of straight draw. The rest of it is fine (you could do a double resource but a single unite if you wanted), like it's just one extra resource on other factions which is good, but it's also a hero so you don't get the effect nearly as often. Enlightened doesn't have much else than those three mechanics, and any of them would be fine.

Constructs limit themselves to 1 activation per turn, but they also allow activation every turn without you having to play them again.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I'm not worried about huge player counts so I wouldn't need to worry about the expansion for Coup necessarily (though Coup is cheap enough I'd probably get it anyway). What about Resistance + Hidden Agenda makes it better than Avalon? I thought I heard that Avalon was an improved version of Resistance. Personally, I was never a huge fan of Resistance for a variety of reasons that I figured a slightly different format may change.

Not huge counts. I mean, Reformation greatly enhances 4+ Coup, to the point where I'd rather not play Coup at those numbers than play vanilla.

Resistance + Hidden Agenda has more options and could potentially be expanded further in the future, which isn't true of Avalon. Even now, you could add on Hostile Intent and/or the promos if you play out Resistance + HA. Avalon doesn't have that option, not even the option to go with no characters + Plot Thickens (which is really quaint and droll nowadays but whatever, it's there).

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone in the TS beta know how to submit crash reports? I accidentally clicked away the dialogue box too quick.

At any rate I won a game yay, after first losing a game to timeout. Didn't realise I'd joined a 1 hour game, not the best for asynchronous play. Guy I beat DEFCON suicided turn 3 so I felt bad. Couped Panama at DEFCON 2 with nuclear test ban - maybe he thought as a shared event it would go off? But there's a separate drop slot for "Play event first" which would have had to happen before the coup, at any rate I think I was in a good spot with that game. I'd pretty much given up on having more than presence in europe but was dominating mideast (no US presence at all), africa, CA and SA (also no US presence) and in a comfortable presence stalemate in asia after headlining asia scoring turn 3 for domination. US was still ahead a couple of VPs but think I had enough board control to be going on with. Is this typical of USSR? I know they're meant to have the advantage early-mid war but am I meant to be on the board with a positive score out the gate or is it more an advantage in consolidating power for big scoring in midwar?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Andarel posted:

The best part about Ascension dumb combos is that when the game breaks (Adayu the Serene + the guy who lets you kill monsters in the Void) it takes like an hour to take your turn.

Just an hour? I guess you've never been able to set up the infinite combo in the last two sets.

You will need:

Lots of card draw and/or trashing
1 Premonition Bell
1 Wolf Shaman or Spike Vixen in the centre row

Step 1: play cards until you have drawn everything in your deck and discard pile.

Step 2: destroy the Premonition Bell to copy the effect of the Shaman or Vixen. This gives 1 Fight/Buy and you draw a card; as all your other cards are in play or hand, this will be the Bell.

Step 3: play the Bell.

Step 4: repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have an arbitrarily large amount of Fight or Buy, then defeat or acquire cards in the centre row until it's full of the type you can't take and spend the rest on basic cards.

You need a Vixen to guarantee victory as buying stuff won't end the game, but the odds are good nobody will bother and you will also have filled the centre row with monsters so nobody can follow you up with another Bell.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Somebody asked for board game blogs some posts back, here's a fun and funny one: http://themiseryfarm.com . They rate the games based on how good you can gently caress over your "friends".

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Broken Loose posted:

Not huge counts. I mean, Reformation greatly enhances 4+ Coup, to the point where I'd rather not play Coup at those numbers than play vanilla.

Resistance + Hidden Agenda has more options and could potentially be expanded further in the future, which isn't true of Avalon. Even now, you could add on Hostile Intent and/or the promos if you play out Resistance + HA. Avalon doesn't have that option, not even the option to go with no characters + Plot Thickens (which is really quaint and droll nowadays but whatever, it's there).

What's the fix for coup inquisitor? Isn't it broken as printed?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lord Frisk posted:

What's the fix for coup inquisitor? Isn't it broken as printed?

Factions. Inquisitor sucks.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

jmzero posted:

Anyone got to play Pandemic: Legacy yet?

I too would be interested in anyone's reviews or thoughts about Pandemic: Legacy. I just put a couple of board games up for sale so if those go through I'll almost have enough to get Pandemic Legacy, on the other hand I already have regular Pandemic and all the expansions so unless it's offers something seriously different (other than the legacy mechanic) I might give it a miss.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
What's the Goon take on Rum and Bones? I got strong recommendations for it from a friend in another city. But he also loves Cosmic Encounter, Dead of Winter and anything Tom Vasel loves and/or has nice minis.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zveroboy posted:

I too would be interested in anyone's reviews or thoughts about Pandemic: Legacy. I just put a couple of board games up for sale so if those go through I'll almost have enough to get Pandemic Legacy, on the other hand I already have regular Pandemic and all the expansions so unless it's offers something seriously different (other than the legacy mechanic) I might give it a miss.

The Dice Tower guys have been effusive with praise. Yes, I know it's those guys, but since everyone else seems to be getting it at Essen, I think they are the only people who have gotten to play it a lot before now. Their overall take non-spoiler take is: If you like Pandemic or the idea of legacy games, and you can consistently get the same group to play it multiple times, you should absolutely get it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

lordsummerisle posted:

What's the Goon take on Rum and Bones? I got strong recommendations for it from a friend in another city. But he also loves Cosmic Encounter, Dead of Winter and anything Tom Vasel loves and/or has nice minis.

I saw some people playing it live, and it looked like a game designed to sell packs of miniatures.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Zveroboy posted:

I too would be interested in anyone's reviews or thoughts about Pandemic: Legacy.

My copy will be arriving next week, but it'll be a while before I play it a few times. I plan on trying to get guys at work to do weekly games at lunch. I'll post something whenever I have a few games under my belt.

If you like pandemic and surprises, as well as have a regular group who will play this with you ~20 times, I predict that you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for others to play it ~20 times if you want thoughts on its entirety.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Magnetic North posted:

Their overall take non-spoiler take is: If you like Pandemic or the idea of legacy games, and you can consistently get the same group to play it multiple times, you should absolutely get it.

If you like ice cream, and you like chocolate, and you're not allergic to chocolate, you should absolutely try chocolate ice cream!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Caedar posted:

If you like ice cream, and you like chocolate, and you're not allergic to chocolate, you should absolutely try chocolate ice cream!

Eh, sometimes your friends are allergic to chocolate and they don't tell you and then they die and stop showing up and now you have this pile of ice cream you can't eat because he double-dipped his spoon so now you have to buy all new ice cream, but the top layers have already been spoiled because you know what to expect and

now I want some ice cream gently caress

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like strawberries, I like ice cream, I don't like strawberry icecream

checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I like grapes, I like candy, holy poo poo grape flavored candy is disgusting.