Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Weirdo posted:

Any advice for my soviet general goblins? Anything I should fix or should I just go ahead and seal them?

The fur trim looks a little flat, but that could just be the photo washing the colour out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

dr_ether posted:

The fur trim looks a little flat, but that could just be the photo washing the colour out.

It is a little flat, would you suggest giving it some fur pattern with highlights?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Latest batch of dudes for Infinity. Put quite some effort into them, feedback appreciated.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Primer Debacle, Part 6:

White primer turned out to be glossy, grey was actually silver. Damnit.

Looks like I'll be priming by hand. Any advice? I assume lots of thin layers. Something like 2:1 paint to water?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
WIP shots I took of an Oniwaban for Infinity.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, definitely like the StormShadow vibe.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Trying something different tonight. I have a terminator chaplain and the chaplain from the Reclusian Command Squad boxset. My space marines are Salamanders, so these chaplains are going to have some degree of green on them. Since black is a difficult color to paint effectively on models, I'm going to try something I've learned as an oil painter.

In oil and acrylic painting, black is also a very strong color and using a pure black is generally not recommended. A more natural black is a little warm or cold, so you would add a red, blue, or violet to it to make it a little more natural. That or mix a few colors together to make a natural black. So I've put on a kelly green base for both models and am applying a liberal amount of black wash over the green. I suppose that I could have used a pure black and just painted a green highlight on the corners and edges of the armor, but let's see where this goes.

EDIT: Oh god what the hell was I thinking?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 11, 2015

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Painting black, or even greys, tends to straight kick my rear end. I really wish I could figure out the trick of it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

The Mantis posted:

Primer Debacle, Part 6:

White primer turned out to be glossy, grey was actually silver. Damnit.

Looks like I'll be priming by hand. Any advice? I assume lots of thin layers. Something like 2:1 paint to water?

One or two thin layers should do. You don't need perfect coverage. You just need to have enough for the paint to get a grip on.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cyclomatic posted:

Painting black, or even greys, tends to straight kick my rear end. I really wish I could figure out the trick of it.

Well, I conceded and just painted over what I had with black and am going to go over the corners with Warpstone Glow. If I paint another Salamanders chaplain, I'm going to mix a little red with the black to make it warm and see what I get.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I picked up a paint brush for the first time in a decade and change.

Lessons learned -
* Thin your paints, dammit
* Reaper makes some pretty sweet minis for as cheap as they are
* I don't miss supergluing a ton of leads together at all.

My metallics are coming out surprisingly dull; I really thought the Trans-Am A-wing was gonna be a lot busier. Am I thinning my paints too much, or do I just need even more touchups for metallic spots?

My "Wraith Squadron" X-wing turned out more like Lavender Squadron. :v:

Also, I'm thinking the A-wing needs something to liven it up a little, but I'm not sure what. Recommendations?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A-wing needs rising sun beams from the back. I'd say front but the edge is too narrow to get a good effect unless you start at the middle and switch colors halfway through.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Like they're coming off the guns? Red or gold?

I was also thinking of doing the engine cones black, then doing the rings in gold.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What ever color would be best. Gold might be too bright but can't tell the darkness of the purple color - mustard yellow might be alright though? Or maybe red is best. Mine are all dirtied up I don't know how grey or white the factory job is. I was thinking engines but maybe guns?

For me, suppose I had another falcon to paint up. (I might.) what would be the most #HanYoloSwag paint scheme for one?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I would go with the blue or red body, personally. The blue-on-white would look pretty Imperial.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Self-mutilation

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Star Man posted:

Self-mutilation

The fact that you are using GW products is torment enough

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Iron Crowned posted:

The fact that you are using GW products is torment enough

Hey, I'm trying to use them up before I completely convert to Vallejo.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
There are still a few GW colors that are totally worth using. Mephiston red is an outstanding basecoat color, their washes are still fine, and some of their layer paints are decent. Their tools (with the possible exception of that seam scraper) and especially plastic cups etc are ridiculously overpriced for what they are, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
True dat. I like their hobby box and washes. I like the darker color that Gehenna's Gold is over the bright Vallejo golds, but that might just be a matter of finding the right combination of washes to use Vallejo gold with to match that hue. But I think the only reason that I have the plastic CItadel cup was because I was lazy and didn't want to save a spaghetti sauce jar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stabbington posted:

There are still a few GW colors that are totally worth using. Mephiston red is an outstanding basecoat color, their washes are still fine, and some of their layer paints are decent. Their tools (with the possible exception of that seam scraper) and especially plastic cups etc are ridiculously overpriced for what they are, though.

Yeah, I dunno, I've been on a GW boycott since earlier this year when I found the price increases once again. I was really loving stoked when I went into my flgs on Friday and found a sparkly new Vallejo rack. They're planning to get out of the GW game too.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I have a :catdrugs: weird question :catdrugs:

Is there a place where I can purchase a pen with magnetic oxide ink? I see pigments and fountain pens online but I really don't have time for that, just want to buy a pre-packaged unit just like those ink markers that detect fake dollar bills.

Cyclomatic posted:

Black with grey highlights is one of the easiest things to paint for me, are you able to tell me what you're struggling with or why the results don't look right?

Star Man posted:

Self-mutilation

I commonly unload my brush onto my left thumbnail, did it once on my thigh during a hot summer night when I was deep in concentration.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

SRM posted:

Didn't Reaper's paints used to all have a tiny pewter skull in them for mixing paint? I don't know if I'm remembering that right but I think that's lovably goofy and I'm surprised GW doesn't do that.

Slimnoid posted:

They did, yes. It proved to be a bit too expensive to do, so they switched it out to something cheaper. Plastic BBs I think.

SRM posted:

Aw shucks. That was always a fun little random thing, but I totally understand why they stopped.

I got a full case of paints as a birthday set back in like '05, '06. When one of you guys posted about the skull beads (a year or three ago), I started spelunking for them whenever a bottle gummed up irreparably.

I think I'm up to like 10-12 skulls now. :3:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Started playing Warmachine, picked up a Menoth battle box, just finished it. Those are my first miniatures in close to a decade. They're all decent tabletop quality, though the Warcaster (little dude up front) is the only one I'm completely satisfied with.

I'm not sure I like how I'm doing the bases. I'm just dunking them in snow flock and then putting random little bushes on there. Any tips for decent looking arctic bases?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Found my FLGS had Vallejo laser-cut paint organizers, similar to Lumbering Troll's setup. Having spent too long making excuses re: organization, I picked up enough to hold my collection and then some to encourage more actual painting.

There's room for more! Mostly I've got the full original Game Color range, but would like to expand with some flatter / less saturated colors. Any favorites from the Model Color line for "go-to" shades? Also looking for handy pigment options.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Always dig dark Menoth, looking great.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Black with grey highlights is one of the easiest things to paint for me, are you able to tell me what you're struggling with or why the results don't look right?

I suspect the primary issue is that I'm not very good at highlights. Painting whites is 100% about the shades, and it seems like painting blacks is 100% about the highlights.

Here is some stuff I tried to paint blacks on and they just didn't come out very well. Was literally like 'gently caress it, base coat of solid black and I'm done' for her hair after how badly the pants came out.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

:ssh: VMC Black-Grey + black wash = instant black with depth :ssh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Silhouette posted:

:ssh: VMC Black-Grey + black wash = instant black with depth :ssh:

I get the feeling I'd run out of wash if I used that technique when I'm going to start painting an Inquisitorial APC. Then again, not sure how well that would work on large almost flat surfaces.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Vulkan He'stan with banner.

This is the unspiration thread, right?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have a :catdrugs: weird question :catdrugs:

Is there a place where I can purchase a pen with magnetic oxide ink? I see pigments and fountain pens online but I really don't have time for that, just want to buy a pre-packaged unit just like those ink markers that detect fake dollar bills.

Do you need the paint itself to be magnetic or do you just need metallic paint that will adhere to magnets?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

I get the feeling I'd run out of wash if I used that technique when I'm going to start painting an Inquisitorial APC. Then again, not sure how well that would work on large almost flat surfaces.
Don't wash whole vehicles. You'll get some really gross pooling that won't actually make your model look weathered and dirty, it'll just make it look like poo poo. Use wash strategically around rivets and raised details and use it to shade the recesses of the model only, then clean it up with the base color.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SRM posted:

Don't wash whole vehicles. You'll get some really gross pooling that won't actually make your model look weathered and dirty, it'll just make it look like poo poo. Use wash strategically around rivets and raised details and use it to shade the recesses of the model only, then clean it up with the base color.

I mean, you can do it but you need the skills to do it well. I paint basically all my big constructs and vehicles with washes and inks these days, but it wasn't until I started reading serious Euromodelismo stuff that I really got into painting vehicles using primarily wash based weathering.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mean, you can do it but you need the skills to do it well. I paint basically all my big constructs and vehicles with washes and inks these days, but it wasn't until I started reading serious Euromodelismo stuff that I really got into painting vehicles using primarily wash based weathering.
I'm sure there's ways it can be done that look good, but just washing the whole thing and saying job's a goodun like you can with infantry won't work because of all the flat surfaces.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wash all my vehicles too. The trick is either an airbrush or thinning your wash with gloss varnish (which will prevent pooling). Really though, SRM is right. When you 'wash' a vehicle to shade it, you shouldn't be washing the whole vehicle. You need to hit targeted parts otherwise it will look flat. If you are using your wash to change the base color, then it's actually a 'filter' in which case yes hit the whole drat thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know a good place for 30mm base inserts that's available in the US?

I'm looking for cobblestone/brick roadway or anything that's Victorian or Wild West -esque. It's going to be for some Malifaux minis.

I've found a few sites, but they mostly seem to be based in the UK.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Floppychop posted:

Cool Mini or Not has an rear end-ton of base inserts. I've never used them because I like doing my bases from scratch, so I can't say what they're like in person though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Floppychop posted:

I'm looking for cobblestone/brick roadway or anything that's Victorian or Wild West -esque. It's going to be for some Malifaux minis.

The CMON one's are OK but spendy as are the official Malifaux ones. If you haven't based yet it's honestly cheaper to just get 30mm bases. I really like the Secret Weapons ones but there are tons of great companies on eBay these days. Scibor also does really really impressive bases, especially in large sizes. My dreamer crew is on his overgrown ruins style ones.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Floppychop posted:

I bought some of these because they were at nova where I got my Kings of War Wrath of Kings starter set, which used recessed bases.
http://tectoniccraftstudios.com/collections/bases-and-inserts

My 30mm ones fit nice and snug, then my 40mm ones were less snug and my 50mm ones had a lot of extra room from the edge, though that might be because the WoK bases are different than other recessed bases, they are quite deep.

edit: wrong game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I bought some of these because they were at nova where I got my Kings of War Wrath of Kings starter set, which used recessed bases.
http://tectoniccraftstudios.com/collections/bases-and-inserts

My 30mm ones fit nice and snug, then my 40mm ones were less snug and my 50mm ones had a lot of extra room from the edge, though that might be because the WoK bases are different than other recessed bases, they are quite deep.

edit: wrong game

These one's are kind of neat but I feel at that point you could buy a Cake imprint mat at Michaels/Hobby Lobby and some Green Stuff and get the same level of detail fidelity for a lot cheaper. MDF is good for a lot of stuff, but it seems a bit textureless for bases is all.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 12, 2015