Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Only problem this update is that the unlock all button doesnt unlock the B costumes, so I can't be lazy like usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haven't played in a while, how do you loop these days? I made it to the end, but only got an ending sequence.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You have to blow up the generators while fighting the throne.

Easier if you shoot the throne when it's walking to push it back, then shoot the generators whenever it's holding still.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awhile ago someone said you can switch between multiple gold weapons on a character, how do you do that? It looks like it just replaces the character's gold weapon on the start screen and you can't start with the old one anymore. I want to collect all of them when the game comes out.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's the best place to ask/talk about suggestions? The new coop mechanics aren't very fun and seem way too strict and demanding, but I don't know where to talk about it where the devs would see it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Probably the steam community forums since the devs say they read those. I haven't done coop before, what's changed about it?

While we're complaining about things I just gotta rant and say I think elite shield IDPD are balls loving overpowered and an incredible middle finger whenever the game decides to spawn one, I mean plasma minigun by itself is absurd but you take that plus shield plus teleporting plus a ridiculous amount of health just loving stop it already

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Probably the steam community forums since the devs say they read those. I haven't done coop before, what's changed about it?

While we're complaining about things I just gotta rant and say I think elite shield IDPD are balls loving overpowered and an incredible middle finger whenever the game decides to spawn one, I mean plasma minigun by itself is absurd but you take that plus shield plus teleporting plus a ridiculous amount of health just loving stop it already

In coop, if your partner dies, you can revive them for half of your health. When they get picked up, they take that half health you had to give up, but they lose all their ammo and even have to go pick up their guns again. If you don't revive your partner within a certain amount of time, you start to lose health until you die. This is a major issue if you have 1 health, because if you pick up someone when you're at one health, you die but then they come back but are then forced to revive you quickly or else they die but they only have one health when they come back up.

This is very annoying if your partner dies at the end of a level but you get sucked into the teleport, because you end up on the next stage but with no partner to revive so you just start the next level losing your health until you die. The way it worked before was like a wonky single player that just had a coop partner where if one player died, the other player would have to find a large medkit in order to revive their partner. When said partner got revived, they'd come back with a pistol and some ammo. This way was fine and just needed a few tweaks to make it perfect. Those tweaks came but then they completely revamped the coop system to what it is now and the game is just frustrating and mostly unfun in coop.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
In the IDPD headquarters, how do you access HQ2 and HQ3? I got to HQ1 but after beating the first stage the portal just took me back out to the normal loop stages. Is that a bug? Or do I seriously have to get in 3 IDPD vans in a row or something?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The one time I went to the HQ, I was playing as horror with anomaly so all the cops just instantly died and then a portal appeared and dragged me back to the level I had just left. I still don't know anything about the place but it was a good experience and I recommend it to see a lot of cops die.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also

a). their plasma balls have a huge hitbox around them when they explode which is not indicated by the actual sprite, so you can get hit by something you can't see, and
b). they changed it so you can't safely melee them, that makes them burst now. why did they think elite shielders needed a buff?? gently caress if I know

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They've been buffing IDPD in random ways in patches for awhile and I really don't understand why because they're already some of the most dangerous and frankly unfun things in the game. The speed of their projectiles alone makes them way more dangerous than the typical enemy, besides the fact that a very random amount of them can teleport pretty much on top of you whenever they trigger. A good third of my runs that get past world 5 are ending due to them. A few times I've had something or other screw with a portal statue before the level even begins, so a huge murderblob appears right on top of me at the start of the level. That can be a run ender if it's already a level that starts you exposed to many other bad guys.

But shields are so disproportionately powerful compared to the other IDPD that you're in a lot of trouble if the game decides to spawn a bunch of them, which makes the cops too dependent on RNG in my opinion. Multiply by 5x for elite shields. The splash on their weapons has killed me when I'm moving completely perpendicular to them, which means there's not really anything I could feasibly do differently to survive when playing as my favorite characters because melee doesn't reflect their plasma anymore (and even if it did they fire in really goddamn long bursts).

and that's my very important opinion on a pixel video game, thank you for reading

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think that IDPD spawning on top of you is almost always actually the best scenario because it means you can usually kill most or all of them as they come out of the portal(and they have no range limit, so if they show up far away on a crowded level good luck with the projectiles) but otherwise yeah.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Welp, I checked and this version HQ1 is bugged, it's supposed to send you to HQ2 after you beat it.

I just want Rogue's B-Skin already, game. Why won't you let me unlock it?

Least I got to hear HQ's B-theme.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that ultra shield cops are pretty overpowered, and having to destroy the cop van to end levels on loops is a pretty poo poo design decision.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Looks like the new crown art is actually for the little walking crowns that follow you around in the levels, not the icons which I guess aren't finished yet. Grabbed the crown of destiny on horror and the crown following me around had a new look that was unique to that crown. But I still feel like a lot of the crowns aren't worth taking. Crown of blood is pretty much accepting that your run will soon end in a chaotic blaze of glory, and crown of guns makes it super hard to beat the throne without running out of ammo. Probably even moreso now that you have to blow up those generators if you want to loop. Not sure I like that change either since I already had a hard time surviving long enough to kill the throne and now I have to last even longer. Maybe looping is not for bads like me.

Is there some special condition for the new mutation to appear or does it have a lower than usual chance to appear or something? I feel like I'm hardly ever seeing it. How much of an effect does it have anyway?

e: okay yeah I checked the wiki and it does have a special condition.

quote:

Heavy Heart will only appear after you've picked your third "weapon type specific" mutation (Recycle Gland, Shotgun Shoulders, Bolt Marrow, Boiling Veins, Laser Brain or Long Arms) and won't appear again.

It's pretty rare to pick more than 2 of those mutations for me so it's no wonder it doesn't appear much. With the exception of boiling veins saving your life no matter what, having more than 2 doesn't seem like a great move since you can only hold 2 weapons anyway so one mutation will not get used.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 2, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's worth it in the case of having an energy sword/energy hammer because laser brain doubles their damage(!!!), and then long arms is hugely useful on loop for defense and hitting more dudes. And then you can have bolt marrow for an auto crossbow or something.

Also Crown of Blood is 100% required for actually getting good highscores on dailies. You're basically just not going to make the top ten without it. It was even better when you could start with it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else feel like they went way overboard in changing the enemy spawns because jesus christ 1-3 on a loop is absolutely loving absurd every single time now. I had a level in which I spawned immediately off of a giant room filled completely to the brim with at least 30 scorpions, without crown of blood or anything. It seems like they changed the enemies that spawn but didn't change the spawn rate, so now instead of a fish or a rat it'll give you a scorpion or a fly to deal with.

I mean, successfully making your way through crowded levels is a huge part of the fun to this game, but why on Earth did they pump up 1-3 to such an absurd degree? Especially when they simultaneously toned down the openness of Big Dog levels, which used to be my favorites because of how bullet hell-y they could get. Then there are the elite shielders, which are harder to deal with than most of the friggin bosses since you can't stop their bullets.

I'm just worried since it looks like they're working up to a 1.0 release but the game's been less fun for me since they changed how loop spawns work, and it makes me sad that it'll probably stay that way. I miss that "every single enemy in one big mess" feel to the loops.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 10, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

Does anyone else feel like they went way overboard in changing the enemy spawns because jesus christ 1-3 on a loop is absolutely loving absurd every single time now. I had a level in which I spawned immediately off of a giant room filled completely to the brim with at least 30 scorpions, without crown of blood or anything. It seems like they changed the enemies that spawn but didn't change the spawn rate, so now instead of a fish or a rat it'll give you a scorpion or a fly to deal with.

I mean, successfully making your way through crowded levels is a huge part of the fun to this game, but why on Earth did they pump up 1-3 to such an absurd degree? Especially when they simultaneously toned down the openness of Big Dog levels, which used to be my favorites because of how bullet hell-y they could get. Then there are the elite shielders, which are harder to deal with than most of the friggin bosses since you can't stop their bullets.

I'm just worried since it looks like they're working up to a 1.0 release but the game's been less fun for me since they changed how loop spawns work, and it makes me sad that it'll probably stay that way. I miss that "every single enemy in one big mess" feel to the loops.

JW's goal has always been to make it nigh impossible to survive past loop 1; the design is for loops to be exclusively for the hardcore fuckers. The team mostly held off on actual loop design until they were ready to implement endings, so here we are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also feel that way, yes. I'm also surprised that they consider the game to be almost finished in general, because it still feels like it's missing some connecting elements to tie it all together. There's enough "game" here to make it a full finished game, but it still sort of feels like a bunch of different ideas crammed together. Maybe releasing some of that lore that apparently has been fully fleshed out for a long time would help.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I also feel that way, yes. I'm also surprised that they consider the game to be almost finished in general, because it still feels like it's missing some connecting elements to tie it all together. There's enough "game" here to make it a full finished game, but it still sort of feels like a bunch of different ideas crammed together. Maybe releasing some of that lore that apparently has been fully fleshed out for a long time would help.

The lore isn't and will never be fully fleshed out; all of the team disagrees about most anything in-depth about the backstory. Here's Bisnap's video about what is known and not known.

Basically, you're in the same boat as the characters in being thrown deep into the end of the world, not knowing WTF except you gotta sit on that throne.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't really see why anyone would care about the "lore" of a twitchy, arcade-y top down shooter like NT.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

IronicDongz posted:

I don't really see why anyone would care about the "lore" of a twitchy, arcade-y top down shooter like NT.

Because it's an interesting world with a lot of things going on that aren't really that fleshed out?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's a very bare-bones world that exists to facilitate a pretty fun game and not much of anything else

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

It's a very bare-bones world that exists to facilitate a pretty fun game and not much of anything else

How can I marry my waifu, Melting, if i don't know the lore?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Improbable Lobster posted:

How can I marry my waifu, Melting, if i don't know the lore?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

things i know about the nuclear throne world:

• chicken loves her sword
  • steroids used to be a scientist
  • it's not right. it's not fair
  • fish can roll

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xenogenesis posted:

JW's goal has always been to make it nigh impossible to survive past loop 1; the design is for loops to be exclusively for the hardcore fuckers. The team mostly held off on actual loop design until they were ready to implement endings, so here we are.

Yeah, I knew that was the intention, that's part of why I feel weird complaining about it. I guess I always thought as loop 2 as the "The Real Nuclear Throne Starts Here" moment, so having that happen on loop one just feels like things are getting cut short.

Though right after I made that post I had a good run so hey. It's not like the game sucks now or anything.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

oddium posted:

things i know about the nuclear throne world:

• chicken loves her sword
  • steroids used to be a scientist
  • it's not right. it's not fair
  • fish can roll

Follow your

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Here is an actual lore bit: If you go to the Oasis, Robot and Fish are the only two characters that do not get bubbles, for obvious reasons. YV also does not need a bubble, but he gives himself one because otherwise his money would get wet.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
YV knows what's really important in this life (guns, money).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

I agree, they've already made the throne a bit too ridiculous for my liking and now loops feel twice as hard as before. Looping is a ridiculous spike in difficulty, I previously was able to double loop super rarely but now when I loop I'm lucky to get past world 1 and I've never even made it to world 6 on a loop since the changes. This wouldn't bother me if there wasn't an absolute fuckton of content that you only ever seen in loops. But as it is, if you don't loop you'll never get to use the ultra weapons, fight several bosses and won't get to use most of the weapons that show up in worlds 5-7 for very long. You also won't get to experience the ultra mutations.

I also enjoy how chaotic loops are and wish you could experience that without having to spend so long in the basic content. It's just gone too far in that direction, less chaos and more "how the gently caress am I supposed to do this". Because of all the content you probably won't get to use before a loop, I wish it didn't hit that stage until loop 2. There are still quite a few things I would change about the game before I'd want to call it done, cops probably being the worst.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
They are still tweaking loops though. Rami tweeted that the currently coming update is another really big one.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, they're still heavy in the balancing and content arrangement phase of things. Figure we have a while to go. I wouldn't be surprised if secret/true endings or something like character profiles end up set behind beating the game on Loop 2 or on Hard Mode. I think they're just going as extreme as possible right now so they can dial it down to a comfortable level, instead of having to ratchet it up bit by bit.

It's really interesting to see a very consistently developed and professionally done game sort of end up co-developed by the entire playerbase, by virtue of many fixes and balances being done around how the playerbase fares week to week: they can see the pro-play lifers, and the casual players, and try to find a median instead of falling into the trap of developer superplay from being so familiar with the product.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
As long as 10,000+ kill runs keep happening, loops will keep getting harder and/or characters will get nerfed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
New update!

Update 93 posted:

Feature
A voice for Rogue and all other remaining characters!
A new save file system. This means we hopefully won't have to clear your save files anymore! As a side effect, we've decided to remove the Unlock All button. What you unlock now is (probably) yours forever. Unless you hit the delete button. Obviously.
Your loop streaks are now stored and displayed in the stats screen. Any loop you get is added to the streak, if you die before you loop the value is reset!
Little effects and sound for most mutations and ultras!
Sounds for some of the loop bosses!
All the music and all the level ambient tracks should now be in the game and all of them have been mastered!
Crown icons!
Two new rare enemies.
Rogue has been given a big overhaul, upgrading her Portal Strike damage and giving her a new Ultra replacing Resourceful.

Balancing
Van portals now break walls when spawning.
Elite Inspectors have less HP.
Captain no longer drops ammo.
Heavy Auto Crossbow rate of fire has been decreased.
Elite Shielder projectiles are now slower and have a smaller explosion hitmask.
Cursed Crystals now have a slightly longer minimum time before teleporting again.
Rabbit Paw no longer affects gun drops.
Heavy Heart has been increased in effectiveness a tiny bit.
Palace Guardians no longer deal contact damage when appearing.
Buff Alligators now spawn more pellets from their projectile.
Splinter Gun and Golden Splinter Gun now have the same rate of fire.
Ultra Grenade Launcher has been given a proper update.
Bullet ammo size has been increased by two.
Exploding Guardians spawn fewer projectiles.
Elite Inspector walk speed has been decreased slightly.
Alligators are now always active.
Removed the Ion Cannon. You will not be missed.
Blood Cannon rate of fire has been decreased slightly.
Torches in the Crown Vault now have less HP.
Tweaked the loop spawn code a bit.
Heavy Bolts are now affected a bit less by Bolt Marrow.
Flak Cannon has more accuracy.
Sledgehammer deals slightly more damage.
doesn't blow up Crystals before completing the boss intro.
Increased damage from IDPD explosions.
Proto chest now always contains a rusty revolver on dailies.
Decreased IDPD Shielder HP.
Elite Grunts now have slower reaction time but faster projectiles.

Fixes
All bosses now end the boss music when killed.
Cursed Chests opened by portals now contain cursed weapons.
Fixed the quick restart music bug.
Fixed the Van exploit hopefully.
Fixed the Y.V. double loop on Ultra bug.
Small flames and craters can no longer appear outside the levels.
Crown of Blood description typo fixed.
Big Dog now shows the right cause of death when exploding.
Fixed Crown of Death de-select crash.
Shielder now always plays shield sound when shielding.
Fixed a daily crash bug.
Fixed a bug related to drawing the Freaks.
Fixed the notorious save file crash hopefully.
Fixed a co-op problem with Plant's Throne Butt.
Crown is no longer drawn on random character.
IDPD Explosions now spawn craters.
Chicken can now heal back to full health.

Misc
New Crown Guardians, gameplay is still very unfinished.
Heavy Grenade Launcher.
Updated Ultra icons.
Gamepad is now automatically detected.
Green explosions for the Throne and Generators!
Timer is now an option, and beating the game now shows your time.
Less screen shake for Plasma Explosions.
Inspectors now draw their pull effect behind their heads.
More particles for Laser Crystals before firing.
Removed all the old icons from the Character Select.
Added a NO HUD mode.
Generators now drop rads.
Re-spaced the loadout screen.
A ton of new weapon sounds.
Timer now also counts during mutation selection.
Removed the "keep old crown" option, instead made guardians spawn when running with a crown.
No Rad Canisters in the HQ.
Added some more tips.
Updated the credits.
Tutorial Bandits now explode into wood splinters.
The fade when sitting down now comes in a bit later.
Weapons now disappear when sucked into the portal.
New splats for melting after using their active.
New Rogue HUD indicator for her ammo.
Tiny details: feathers, leaves, money.
Small blue flames for IDPD explosions.
Uncursing something now has a sound.
Empty Horror trying to fire now has a sound.
Sound for Dog Guardians landing.
Sound for mutation and crown icons popping up.
All elite IDPD now have sounds.
Added lightning particles to the portals.
Low HP sounds for some bosses.
Sounds for the final cutscene.
Updated the tiles for 0-1.
New slider art.
Sounds for Rogue Canisters.
New art for the IDPD explosions.
Updates to loads of projectiles for readability.
Ally art update.
Icon art update.
All mutation selection sounds.
New slashes.
Mutation sounds are now stereo.
Updated the mansion tiles.
New decals and props for various areas.
Update to the menu generation.
New Crown Vault art.
Sounds for the cursed enemies.
Updated flying maggot art.
Radiated maggot death sounds.
New gun for the Jungle Bandits.
Updated the color of the Freaks.
Sound for reaching level Ultra.
HQ is now less bright.
New Present Chest opening animation.
Sounds for the different IDPD portals.
Big Dog now explodes in a way cooler way.
Fire Trap game over image.
New portal sounds, also when inside.
Lil Hunter now has a sound when calling for backup.
Sounds for allies.
Grenade weapons now have a reload sound.
Various enemies had new sounds added.
Cool new car sounds.
Boss intro sounds.
A nice radioactive hum on the logo.
New disc sounds.
Little dust effects in the Crown Vaults.
More prop destruction sounds.
Removed the old Palace pillars.
Van hijack sounds.
Art update to the green rats.
Art for Heavy Heart.
Small 7-3 art detail added.

Holy poo poo I finally get to keep my golden weapons

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

holy poo poo that polish :aaa:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fabulous

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Goddamn, that line about the update being huge wasn't a lie I see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
drat :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The remastered music is really good guys. Also, I just encountered a golden tank in 5-2 that killed me with a rocket :stare:

• Locked thread