Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tato posted:

Deep down, everyone knows that there's really only one option here and how it's going to play out.

Yeah I mean we can all hope and pretend otherwise but what's the real outcome here, that they do the right thing and adapt or they do what they've historically always done and just try and make Bayley fit their Divas division?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

the only solution here is to pay the nxt women main roster money to hold the brand like finn and no i will not stop saying this even though it will never ever happen

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Lid posted:

Akiyama to me isn't a Hall of Famer in truth. Being in the main event for a long time does not mecessarily make you an all time great. He is always below Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi on the totem pole... he's like a Japanese DDP to me almost. He was great, but he's not an all time great.

I think being a great worker for over 20 years gets you drat close even before you factor in drawing. He has to have maybe the greatest body of work on tape (factoring in quality and quantity) among guys not in, right? Not hard to see him crossing the line for some people.

edit: I guess Fujiwara would be another candidate for that.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 9, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Granny isn't on the show today. :smith:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I always forget/am too lazy to link the award winning Wrestlehut Pisscast here in this thread, but today is a new day. Here are two shows.

Show 1 - Pisscast 111

Oatgan and I review everything - Bound for Glory, Raw, NXT Takeover, AAA Heroes Inmortales, listener questions. Plus, Oatgan went to UFC and has some big time scoops. Do me a favor, even if you don't listen to podcasts or if you hate Oatgan, listen to the first minute of this show to hear the Thunderbolt Patterson promo, which is among the most bizarre promos I've ever seen.

http://ia601503.us.archive.org/31/items/111WrestlehutPisscast/111%20Wrestlehut%20Pisscast.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/fnkdt61es8icj8h/111+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBFmoeXCup7eHFvd0FzY21qQTA/view
And also available, of course, on iTunes or your podcast downloader thingy of choice.

Show 2 - whatever we call the show Cath and I do

Writer Cath and I talk for drat near 3 hours, analyzing current WWE angles, feuds, business in general, ratings woes, and even discuss our old wrestling training back in the day (she trained at Border City, I wrestled in a backyard under an orange tree). This was recorded on Wednesday right before Takeover, so there's an added bonus of seeing just how wrong I was to be dismissive of it.

http://ia601503.us.archive.org/31/items/111WrestlehutPisscast/110A%20Cathflurry.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/rrta6rsdbuvk9as/110A+Cathflurry.mp3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBFmoeXCup7d0VJS1c4Y1dvalU/view

Thank you for making us the #1 podcast of all time.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

ayn rand hand job posted:

Granny isn't on the show today. :smith:

hooray

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Lid posted:

Akiyama to me isn't a Hall of Famer in truth. Being in the main event for a long time does not mecessarily make you an all time great. He is always below Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi on the totem pole... he's like a Japanese DDP to me almost. He was great, but he's not an all time great.

Jun Akiyama is basically in the same position as like...say, Meiko Satomura. Both were the obvious next ace of their respective companies who didn't have at least one or two other contemporaries to feud with, that didn't get their big wins over the previous aces in time, such that by the time they got their clean singles victories over the old guard the fans were no longer showing up to see it. Akiyama didn't beat Misawa clean in singles until 2001 once NOAH existed, and he didn't win the Triple Crown until 2011 long after doing so mattered.

It's not his fault. Akiyama was the victim of booking. If Jun Akiyama had won the Triple Crown from either Misawa or Kobashi back in 1998 when he was doing the chase there would be no debate. Instead, he lost every single time. That's what makes us think of him as "great, but not on the level of those all-time greats." As far as straight-up match quality goes, I personally would say Akiyama deserves to go in, but the Observer Hall of Fame also evaluates things like how much of a draw you were, and Akiyama on top never seemed to really benefit promotions (because of what I just noted; he received no true passing of the torch).

In other words, Jun Akiyama back then is in the sort of position that guys like Hirooki Goto or Tetsuya Naito is now over in New Japan.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Akiyama was in the main event of more big houses than Goto or Naito ever were though

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Spermgod posted:

Akiyama was in the main event of more big houses than Goto or Naito ever were though

And have had more 5 star matches, including one in his rookie year

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

btw Hogan on Flair's podcast is a great listen if you want to hear Hogan speak somewhat honestly about himself.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tato posted:

Deep down, everyone knows that there's really only one option here and how it's going to play out.

I find it so strange that Dave is even postulating that they may not ruin it. I mean. He knows better the most. They gently caress EVERYTHING up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ICHIBAHN posted:

I find it so strange that Dave is even postulating that they may not ruin it. I mean. He knows better the most. They gently caress EVERYTHING up.

Take it from someone who is negative about WWE 99% of the time, sometimes you just have to at least pretend like there's hope otherwise it's like... what's the point?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Take it from someone who is negative about WWE 99% of the time, sometimes you just have to at least pretend like there's hope otherwise it's like... what's the point?

Might I interest you in TNA Impact Wrestling?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I think Dave at least is looking at Bayley as "oh my god she could make this company so much money" and hoping that, if nothing else, because of that they'll at least try to get her over. They'll fail, because it's WWE, but they'll at least give it the effort unlike the average NXT callup

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Daryl Surat posted:

Jun Akiyama is basically in the same position as like...say, Meiko Satomura. Both were the obvious next ace of their respective companies who didn't have at least one or two other contemporaries to feud with, that didn't get their big wins over the previous aces in time, such that by the time they got their clean singles victories over the old guard the fans were no longer showing up to see it. Akiyama didn't beat Misawa clean in singles until 2001 once NOAH existed, and he didn't win the Triple Crown until 2011 long after doing so mattered.

Misawa also panic-booked the belt off him in the worst possible way in the beginning of NOAH.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Pisscasters think I suck so obviously I'm doing something right

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

coconono posted:

btw Hogan on Flair's podcast is a great listen if you want to hear Hogan speak somewhat honestly about himself.

I've heard him speak honestly about himself and it was basically "I don't want my daughter to date people who look like you."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shine posted:

I've heard him speak honestly about himself and it was basically "I don't want my daughter to date people who look like you."

ok, well whatever is between pillowtalk and playing bass for Metallica.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lol at Bryan repeating Dave's point that Devitt is better as a heel as if he actually knows from experience

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Listening to Jim Cornette's podcast and he really really really needs to do something about his random throat clearing.

I wanna collect all the times he's ever cleared his throat and make a video compilation of them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

Listening to Jim Cornette's podcast and he really really really needs to do something about his random throat clearing.

I wanna collect all the times he's ever cleared his throat and make a video compilation of them.

Have mercy babe.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

fart blood posted:

"aHEhe!"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Wasn't Bayley basically a jobber for a while early on in NXT? It seems like the reason her character is compelling is because we saw her develop more of a wrestling character over the past 2 years. She started out as a fangirl character, and only in the past year or so did she actually become a formidable wrestler. I don't know if Bayley can get over with the people who didn't see that evolution play out in front of them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What the gently caress is with that dudes finger?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Retromancer posted:

Wasn't Bayley basically a jobber for a while early on in NXT? It seems like the reason her character is compelling is because we saw her develop more of a wrestling character over the past 2 years. She started out as a fangirl character, and only in the past year or so did she actually become a formidable wrestler. I don't know if Bayley can get over with the people who didn't see that evolution play out in front of them.

She was definitely the Tyler Breeze to Charlotte/Paige/Sasha and their rise. I always thought she had a lot of talent but was too sloppy in the ring. She's tightened that up quite a bit, though still a little bit sloppy.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I don't understand why it is but very few women wrestlers seem to not have some amount of sloppiness

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Spermgod posted:

I don't understand why it is but very few women wrestlers seem to not have some amount of sloppiness

A lot of female wrestlers have trouble getting ring time/experience because most indy promotions won't book them to do anything meaningful, so they end up wrestling the same other women all the time and never getting any better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

In the US, particularly WWE, women are expected to do the same move sets their male counterparts do, regardless if it physically makes sense. Which is why you'll see bizarre poo poo like Kelly Kelly throwing lariats.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

CombineThresher posted:

A lot of female wrestlers have trouble getting ring time/experience because most indy promotions won't book them to do anything meaningful, so they end up wrestling the same other women all the time and never getting any better.

Yep, pretty much. It's why someone like Asuke is so striking even compared to Sasha and Bayley, she's so fast and smooth and alot of that has to do with having a shitload of matches.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did Bryan stop himself from saying people in NXT were "having sex" and say "slumber parties" instead?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

What the gently caress is with that dudes finger?

Finger movements are a big part of traditional Indian dancing. This is the ur-example, and also a loving great song and I'll fight you if you disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Memento posted:

Finger movements are a big part of traditional Indian dancing.

Hmmm I think I liked it more when I thought it was just something really dumb Shera did on his own

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Memento posted:

Finger movements are a big part of traditional Indian dancing. This is the ur-example, and also a loving great song and I'll fight you if you disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8

I haven't seen this video in forever, and never at this good of a quality. It's so Myst meets Mortal Kombat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Retromancer posted:

I don't think so. I think you just need to tell the story. Show how Pamela Martinez was a little girl that always wanted to be a wrestler, show things like that essay they dug out for the build to this match or the pictures of her with John Cena. She's basically Daniel Bryan's backstory as the indy wrestler that worked hard and fought every step of the way, despite people telling her no, with John Cena's smiling, never-give-up, bright colours and hero to the kids attitude. It's why the hardcores can like her (she's one of US) and why little girls like her (she's just like them and encourages them).

I'm saying this as someone who didn't see much of her at all before this year, and it completely read to me and she's so immediately relateable because, like Dave said, she's real and that's where they're going to gently caress up, because admitting the real story is better, robs Creative of the chance to 'improve' it. I'm also terrified that Vince or Dunn is going to see her outside of her NXT gear, and realise that she's got boobs and shove her in some cleavage baring outfit for her Raw debut. Again, as said on the show, soon as they try to make her a sex symbol, her real appeal is stone dead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If they could give her some good video packages before she debuts, letting the fans who haven't watched NXT know like hey, she's really loving awesome and here's why, then yeah, she could get over.

But they're not going to do that. If they do, I'll buy myself a dumb wrestling avatar.

Edit: That's why I love love love Daniel Bryan's "Monster" video package for Mania 30. You get to see this guy go from an indie guy to US Champ and then (completely ignore his heel heavyweight title run) setting up THE MAN keeping him down and the fan support. It's so loving great and it makes me so sad that they completely did not see anything in him.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 10, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did Bryan stop himself from saying people in NXT were "having sex" and say "slumber parties" instead?

Dude Sara Lee is down there now, probably plowing through the men's roster.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eltoasto posted:

Dude Sara Lee is down there now, probably plowing through the men's roster.

No I mean Bryan was about to say that but he cut himself off. "Having sauhlumber parties..."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think so. I think you just need to tell the story. Show how Pamela Martinez was a little girl that always wanted to be a wrestler, show things like that essay they dug out for the build to this match or the pictures of her with John Cena. She's basically Daniel Bryan's backstory as the indy wrestler that worked hard and fought every step of the way, despite people telling her no, with John Cena's smiling, never-give-up, bright colours and hero to the kids attitude. It's why the hardcores can like her (she's one of US) and why little girls like her (she's just like them and encourages them).

I'm saying this as someone who didn't see much of her at all before this year, and it completely read to me and she's so immediately relateable because, like Dave said, she's real and that's where they're going to gently caress up, because admitting the real story is better, robs Creative of the chance to 'improve' it. I'm also terrified that Vince or Dunn is going to see her outside of her NXT gear, and realise that she's got boobs and shove her in some cleavage baring outfit for her Raw debut. Again, as said on the show, soon as they try to make her a sex symbol, her real appeal is stone dead.

Dunn is going to say she's fat and the Bella twins will call her Bailey the Whaley and beat her in a two minute match on Raw.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
can't wait for the Bellas "Asuka the Grouch" promo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

no see this time will be different because

• Locked thread