Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Migishu posted:

A reply to a ticket came in:

"I have no idea who can help with this"

Send back "Neither do I" and then resolve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sickening posted:

Jerky takes a perfectly delicious piece of meat and turns it into slightly less delicious piece of meat that takes much longer to expire.

And Hulk Hogan MeatShoes (tm) makes it fun to eat!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
An offer came in:

Boss asked if I wanted to do some in house SharePoint development so that we don't need to outsource some of the work a few of our clients need. I haven't decided to accept or deny it yet, but the salary bump is at least worth looking into. There's no way I'm shifting my life to be a code monkey again but I'll be damned if the raise wouldn't put a nice cushion under my rear end while I write some of my security certs. As an aside, any goons ever done SharePoint development in C#? All the devs I outsource too seem to use VB and gently caress that noise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

An offer came in:

Boss asked if I wanted to do some in house SharePoint development so that we don't need to outsource some of the work a few of our clients need. I haven't decided to accept or deny it yet, but the salary bump is at least worth looking into. There's no way I'm shifting my life to be a code monkey again but I'll be damned if the raise wouldn't put a nice cushion under my rear end while I write some of my security certs. As an aside, any goons ever done SharePoint development in C#? All the devs I outsource too seem to use VB and gently caress that noise.

Not enough information.

Sharepoint is the worst thing in the world if it's implemented badly.

If you've a well-documented, smoothly-running Sharepoint already, and you'll have sufficient access to do what needs done? Go for it!

But if it's a hacked-together godawful mess that couldn't find its own rear end with a map, a metal detector, and a bloodhound...stay away.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Not enough information.

If you've a well-documented, smoothly-running Sharepoint already, and you'll have sufficient access to do what needs done? Go for it!

But if it's a hacked-together godawful mess that couldn't find its own rear end with a map, a metal detector, and a bloodhound...stay away.

I have requested my boss set up my own site on our internal SharePoint so I can get a better feel for which one of these I'll have. I'm leaning on the former just because I know this specific boss set up both our SharePoint and the client one I will likely do the most work on. However said client site already has a bunch of outsourced dev work done on it and I haven't really had a chance to check it out. Access will never be an issue; I will always have sufficient access to do what needs to be done.

In your experience where do you find the most sticks, hot glue, and duct tape in a SharePoint server? Side note: I actually think this client is on SharePoint via O365.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

Jerky takes a perfectly delicious piece of meat and turns it into slightly less delicious piece of meat that takes much longer to expire.

Jerky goes well with instant noodles.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ConfusedUs posted:

This can't be emphasized enough. Is this going to be leveraging Excel/Word Services?

You can do cool stuff with Sharepoint but it effectively requires an FTE to update, maintain, develop, and troubleshoot. And believe me, you WILL have to troubleshoot.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Side note for SharePoint talk: My initial instinct was gently caress NO at the offer. However there wont be a huge amount of work starting out and the money would be oh so nice. So what I'm really looking for is opinions on whether to just go with my gut and tell him to look for a coding grad or whether I can shoulder it for a while and bolster those savings. (I used to be a Computer Scientist before jumping ship to Network Engineering and ending up at my current gig with an MSP. Just some background)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Side note for SharePoint talk: My initial instinct was gently caress NO at the offer. However there wont be a huge amount of work starting out and the money would be oh so nice. So what I'm really looking for is opinions on whether to just go with my gut and tell him to look for a coding grad or whether I can shoulder it for a while and bolster those savings. (I used to be a Computer Scientist before jumping ship to Network Engineering and ending up at my current gig with an MSP. Just some background)

Hey if you wanna, go for it. There's nothing inherently wrong with Sharepoint. It can just be a damned mess, and if you inherit a mess it can be one hell of a job to sort out.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I disagree about there being nothing inherently wrong with SharePoint. I supported and developed on SharePoint for 5 years. It's awful, and if you develop code for it, you will regret everything. It's MS Access, Web 2.0 Edition.

I think the biggest explanation of how hosed up it is can be summarized by the UserData table. See, all those pretty Lists that let you put in what is effectively a custom schema (e.g. 4 string fields, 2 yes/no fields, a dropdown list) all need to be stored somewhere. This is the UserData table. It has the following SQL table schema:

code:
SiteID | WebID | ListID | ItemID | Ordinal | nvarchar1 | nvarchar2 | ... | nvarchar128 | int1 | int2 | ... | int64 | datetime1 | ... | datetime16 | bool1 | ... | bool8
That's right, it's a sparse flat file implemented as a SQL table. The mapping to actual displayed columns (e.g. Created By, Created At, My Column) is done through an XML fragment called FieldRef in the Lists table - the XML is stored directly in the DB as free text.

Choice lists are stored in nvarchar strings in data chunks like 1#;Option 1;2#;Option2, etc.

You will encounter the artifacts of all these design decisions when writing code for it.

Oh, and for the bonus hosed up thing about lists: See how there are only 8 bools there? What happens if you add a 9th yes/no checkbox? It duplicates every row in the list, and stores the same site, web, list and itemID, but increments Ordinal by 1 and sets all other columns in the row to NULL except bool1. What if you had a 10,000 item list? Now you have 20,000 rows in the DB.

Urit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 9, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Email from residential non-tech customer of mine (geekatoo):

"Internet is up but wireless is down."

I had everything up AND working when I left. He had comcast visit claiming comcast problems, now this. Should I just dyndns him for future?

:psyduck:
Guess what kind of role he has in his dayjob? Difficulty: C level.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Oh there is a special kind of insanity in some of these geekatoo tickets. I'd like to post them but I feel like it'd be low hanging fruit

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Email from residential non-tech customer of mine (geekatoo):

"Internet is up but wireless is down."

I had everything up AND working when I left. He had comcast visit claiming comcast problems, now this. Should I just dyndns him for future?

:psyduck:
Guess what kind of role he has in his dayjob? Difficulty: C level.

Comcast probably swapped out his modem with a combo unit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jerry Cotton posted:

Since there's never any sane reason to use caps lock, can it be disabled somehow?

Yes, with a flathead screwdriver and some gentle leverage.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So I'm about done spending time with this issue but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has some ideas:

User's mechanical keyboardS (only uses one at a time, but happens with multiple different keyboards) that he picked up on his own dime (which is okay here) sporadically and frequently lose wired USB connection on his Windows 7 Enterprise desktop machine. Problem does not reoccur if keyboard is used on another computer in a different room. Problem also does not occur if his computer is installed in a different room.

He has his own budget, and requested that we spend some money out of it to purchase him a new computer. Okay, fine - we did so (I told him this would almost definitely not resolve the problem), with one of our standard models (his was getting old anyway), a Dell Optiplex 9020 Small form-factor, imaged with our standard image that never has this issue - and performed a USMT scanstate on his old machine. Got the new PC set up with loadstate and installed it in his office and, while I was there for about 10 minutes just waiting to hear if the keyboard lost connection, it never did. That was Friday, while he was gone - today, he got in, and the problem is still there.

At this point I'm all but convinced that it's some sort of weird issue with the room's electricity, which is well beyond my knowledge set, but I did replace the surge protector he was using and replaced power cables, to no avail.

Is there anything stupid I'm possibly missing? The keyboard just uses standard drivers, and no devices are missing their drivers. No other USB devices ever appear to lose connectivity. I'm probably going to have some electricians come out and see if his room has some power fluctuations or something because I have no other ideas now.

So, update on this - cheapo Belkin powered 4-port USB hub has had the keyboard plugged in solidly for a couple of days now without any connection issues. Thanks Thanks Ants. :D

Trying to infer what this actually means was causing it. I'm still leaning towards unstable electrical flow (which I will not even pretend to have any level of knowledge in)? Don't really care at this point, issue is resolved.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Comcast probably swapped out his modem with a combo unit.

That was done before I got started and I ended up putting it in bridge since you cannot disable it trying to be a DHCP server otherwise. They use voip through comcast so I'm not going to invest in teaching them about google voice/ooma.

VV: yeah, I expect they did as well, before I heard anything else.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 9, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That was done before I got started and I ended up putting it in bridge since you cannot disable it trying to be a DHCP server otherwise. They use voip through comcast so I'm not going to invest in teaching them about google voice/ooma.

Well then Comcast turned bridge mode off. Any time a 3rd-party router stops working in some way after a tech comes from the ISP, it's because they factory reset the modem.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Whoa what is this Geekatoo thing? Is there a thread somewhere about it (or would here be appropriate)? I could use some extra cash and am not an idiot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

Whoa what is this Geekatoo thing? Is there a thread somewhere about it (or would here be appropriate)? I could use some extra cash and am not an idiot.

Do you want to be a computer janitor in your spare time? Do you really?

Geekatoo sounds like the type of thing I'll have to sign up for when I die and go to hell.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Hahahaha.

I think I take about 1 in 150 geekatoo jobs? On the :corsair: side of things, they advertised that they won some contract with a nursing home. Yeah, be a CJ for a nursing home! That'll end well! :tinfoil: It's better than CJ in that you can name your own rates, but it's worse than CJ in that you're dealing with the same type of poo poo people go to best buy for. Oh, and you get to pay taxes yourself.

I have made maybe $2k over 2-3 years? I refuse to expect money out of it or that the jobs they list will be worthwhile, plenty aren't. Think of all the poo poo in this thread, with the bonus being you can effectively be a contractor and the minus being you have to decide when to walk away. I don't mind making $200 in a weekend helping with poo poo if I have the spare time, but there are easier options. This particular guy has made me $800 or so, across...6 hours of work? So it's not great, but it's not awful. It's simply not reliable for work nor would I suggest putting your hopes up beyond that.

Quote for hilarious emphasis at how they try to spin this as not being literal poo poo, when it is.

geekatoo posted:

Are you as patient and caring as you are a great Geek? If so, we're going to make it rain for you. Have you ever heard of Brookdale Senior Living? They run over 1,200 retirement communities across the country. Here's the good news: Geekatoo Geeks like you are going to be official tech support providers for all Brookdale residents. Here's the even better news: You have the chance to get involved from the very beginning, as we'll be rolling out our services starting in Brookdale communities across the greater ($town) area.
What do you need to do to be eligible for these jobs? Great question. Please first email (geekatoo) or call to chat with $person about the opportunity and see if it's a good fit for you. After that, you'll go through a background check, get TB tested, and drug screened.
edit: whoops, forgot the best part: They test you for TB.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 9, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you work with/near the public, semi-regular TB tests are probably a Good Thing though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PCOS Bill posted:

If you work with/near the public, semi-regular TB tests are probably a Good Thing though

Just get the TB immunization. Don't lose the records tho, or you will test positive for TB for the rest of your life!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Yes, with a flathead screwdriver and some gentle leverage.

If you don't rebind your capslock to control I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Windows (I believe this just makes a registry change in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout, so if you dig it out you can send out the change to users without the program :eng101:)
Mac

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

Were those really 20 bucksUSD each? I guess it could be a trick of perspective that they seem not so large.

The bag they're placed on is 45 cm by 50 cm (~17.7" by ~19.7") and the sausages are 5 cm (~2") wide diagonally. You can do the rest of the math yourself. For "butcher quality" sausages that's cheap in Denmark - especially considering they're game animal rather than farmed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Here's a typical Geekatoo request.

quote:

Client Notes
Back up or Transfer Data: My computer needs the following: data transfer or backup. I need data transferred to another computer. The total amount to be transferred is: (don't know). I need service for a Laptop. The type of computer is: Apple. Specifically, it's running (don't know). Wait, there's more you should know : computer is still in the box.

Hook up Game Accessories : I'd like to hookup game accessories. The make/model of the game accessories are Other. The accessories I need hooked-up are: bluetooth headset turtlebeach. My current game console is a Playstation 4. Wait, there's more you should know : (don't know).

Set up a New Printer: My printer needs to be hooked up. My printer is a wireless basic printer Wait, there's more you should know : (don't know).

Total You'll Earn $176

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Looking at geekatoo reviews it looks like its just exploitation. Sending people into nightmare scenarios for only $20 an hour. No thanks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
$20 an hour to transfer files? Sounds good to me.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
drat, my job is residential computer janitor stuff for US $60/hr and that's already rock bottom. I can't fathom 20.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Walker posted:

drat, my job is residential computer janitor stuff for US $60/hr and that's already rock bottom. I can't fathom 20.

most jobs like that pay less than 20, so you seem to have hit the jackpot.

Or you are self employed, and don't get a true hourly, just billable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

most jobs like that pay less than 20, so you seem to have hit the jackpot.

Or you are self employed, and don't get a true hourly, just billable.
Geekatoo is 1099 work, so you're a huuuuuuge idiot if you think you're making $20/hour

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Geekatoo is 1099 work, so you're a huuuuuuge idiot if you think you're making $20/hour

I wasn't even talking about Geekatoo, I was talking about retail computer janitoring in general. At least I assume thats what Captain Walker was saying he did.

You are either making 10-15 an hour in an hourly job, or you are making however much more an hour, but hoping to get half as many hours.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm self-employed, billing 60 for ??? hours per week.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A shitload of tickets came in, and are still coming in:

quote:

Error: 10/10/2015 12:07:22 AM Download Update - KAVFS 6MP4 (group task) can not be started because of error: no license

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

anthonypants posted:

A shitload of tickets came in, and are still coming in:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, but here's an email from a guy who's having a stroke or something

quote:

Thank you for the email: I ran a search on the [CUSTOMER'S SECOND EMAIL] and it came up with [URL TO MAILING LIST].
I suppose I will try an idle controller card if all else fails. [SOMEONE ELSE'S EMAIL] Mon April 1 17:43:59 2002 From:...
Have not had time to search further but have now lost control of my sent items folder info, drafts info, emails from contacts and any information
on how to open and reply to Wire transfers and who issues the password for beneficiary to claim these wire transfer funds.
Would also like to know what the ATTACHMENTS ARE THAT YOU SHOW AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR EMAILS ARE. Could you also tell me when the
[COMPANY NAME] quarterly was down loaded to my computer that I have been paying the $8.85 quarterly for and can you let me know if it is
in operation now. If you do not have answers to any of my questions, could you let me know who I would best obtain this info. from<
Regards,
[CUSTOMER NAME]

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

I don't know, but here's an email from a guy who's having a stroke or something

God drat. I feel like that should make sense, but it keeps slipping away once I think I've figured it out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its the controller card. I think it makes sense if you ignore that.

Maybe not. Its been a long week.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just got my first “do the needful” in the wild, from a qa person. I laughed, thinking they were making a joke, and they looked confused. So I guess this is an actual thing now, not just an engrish ticket phrase. :ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What happens when you pay for a 1M link, and then decide to migrate a bunch of data across that pipe, and then two hours before your go-live deadline you decide to contact the datacenter and ask them to remove the throttling?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I just got my first “do the needful” in the wild, from a qa person. I laughed, thinking they were making a joke, and they looked confused. So I guess this is an actual thing now, not just an engrish ticket phrase. :ohdear:

I'll occasionally throw that in when escalating a ticket.

• Locked thread