Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cochise
Sep 11, 2011

If a Russian jet was downed by Turkey I'm just waiting for Erdogan to blame the Kurds and we end up with another 'he said, she said' situation a la MH17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

cochise posted:

If a Russian jet was downed by Turkey I'm just waiting for Erdogan to blame the Kurds and we end up with another 'he said, she said' situation a la MH17.

Except Turkey would be 100% in the right.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Remind the world of the gravity and reality of the human circumstance.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Russia would lose a jet and nothing else would happen. Russia starting WW 3 at the slightest provocation is a total fantasy. MAYBE things could have spiraled out of control if poo poo got hot in Ukraine, but that is a completely different situation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sparatuvs posted:

Would be funny if both happened - "This is all the doing of those dastardly Kurds, but really Russia was asking for it anyway".

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cochise posted:

Armed combat jets flying into the airspace of another country and a civilian airliner following a normal flightpath over a region another country is invading. The same thing.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

No doubt. Guess I'm just eager to see the conspiracy theories from the other side if it happened.

Warbadger posted:

Armed combat jets flying into the airspace of another country and a civilian airliner following a normal flightpath over a region another country is invading. The same thing.
I was being a smartass. :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cochise posted:

A combat aircraft getting shot down in another country's airspace is completely justified. There would be no he said, she said because Turkey would say, "drat right we shot it down" and everyone would agree they did the right thing.

The only out Russia would have is if it somehow managed to crash just inside the Syrian border, then you could have bickering over whether or not it was in Turkish airspace when it was hit.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Assad's forces shot down that Turkish Jet? I had trouble sleeping.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Shageletic posted:

A more day in the life view of life in Iraq, from a woman trying to save girls:

Read the rest here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/10/05/out-of-sight-letter-from-baghdad-rania-abouzeid

Jeez, that's a hell of a story. Good on her.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miltank posted:

What do you think would happen?

There would be a diplomatic brouhaha that Turkey would have to treat semi-seriously as opposed to some bluster where Turkey said to Syria "don't give a gently caress we'll do it again".

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 10, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

:laffo: that people are convinced every 12 hours that a Russian helicopter or plane have been shot down.

I understand that everyone is playing a war based drinking game and when a Russian aircraft goes down we all get to chug, but maybe people should wait for better confirmation than a video of 12 people yelling ALLAHU ACKBAR when a TOW hits a hill vaguely near a blob in the sky.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

:laffo: that people are convinced every 12 hours that a Russian helicopter or plane have been shot down.

I understand that everyone is playing a war based drinking game and when a Russian aircraft goes down we all get to chug, but maybe people should wait for better confirmation than a video of 12 people yelling ALLAHU ACKBAR when a TOW hits a hill vaguely near a blob in the sky.

Nobody is really convinced, brah. Chill.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Coming out against D&Ders drinking is not a winning proposition.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
WW3 is just around the corner because Russia bombed some ISIS (maybe) in Syria! :byodood:

Or something.

Then again it never sparked off when there were legit possible reasons for it before so I don't think it'll happen now. Too much money to be lost after all.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Quick update.

Along the West Ghab plain/Latakia coastal mountain axis the regime has had success taking territory along all three of their liens of advance. All three of these are very limited fronts which can not support each other, but advance sin this area as a whole will protect the coastal enclaves and clearing the mountain will allow movement into the Ghab plain. As these are narrow fronts firepower advantages are important, however reversals can occur rapidly if sudden combat isn't met with reinforcements. The regime will need to maintain their position and advance to really break new ground in this region as both advance sand retreats have been commonplace.

Northern Hama. The initial assaults appear to have died down with mostly probing attacks and artillery barrage/bombing taking place now. Attrition continues to be a factor for front line regime vehicles, of note today was a poorly placed bivouac at the east end of the front that got ripped apart by ATGM fire with three videos of direct hits on tanks that were let in the open. Rebel losses are unclear, however on the west side of the front Russian helicopters have been particularly consistent about attacking Kafr Nabudah. Loss of the town does not immediately threaten the rest of the bastion but it would be troubling for the rebels as a repeatable assault strategy for the regime. Still the regime will have to send in ground forces to actually clear the town.

Finally it appear the regime is also conducting the offensive I said they should focus on toward Kweries airbase. Early reports are they have made some progress. It remains to be seen if they will get bogged down and what further support they can supply to the push while conducting simultaneous offensives elsewhere.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DancingShade posted:

WW3 is just around the corner because Russia bombed some ISIS (maybe) in Syria! :byodood:

Or something.

Then again it never sparked off when there were legit possible reasons for it before so I don't think it'll happen now. Too much money to be lost after all.

Yeah, I mean there was no war when Germany sent that gunboat into Agadir so i don't see how this assassination of an Austrian archduke could lead to anything. No one's gonna start a world war because Austria stomps a couple of Serbian terrorists.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I have no idea why people continue to think that either Russia or Syria are constrained by the same political considerations that the US is under. Its like the US hand-wrings itself into complete and total uselessness at the mere sight of blood. Want to know what Putin would do if he lost a plane in Turkey? A small fraction of the concern he has shown at losing tons of soldiers in ukraine. He is using his military to achieve his policy objectives. There is virtually no conceivable way that he would lose such a huge torrent of soldiers that the domestic audience would backlash. If Turkey blows up a Russian plane then the situation would either escalate or de-escalate depending upon whether Putin thinks he can politically gain from the situation without spending any real effort. If the pilot's wife freaks out on TV then she is getting injected with a sedative and taken off stage. If the west freaks the gently caress out he will brush it off and de-escalate, if the west acts meek he will push until the west freaks out and then he will de-escalate. For the past year he has pretty consistently bluffed the poo poo out of the west and President obama seems to have no interest at the moment in calling him on it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Some kind of explosion in Ankara according to BBC.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Two bombs detonated at a peace rally: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/10/turkey-suicide-bomb-killed-in-ankara?CMP=edit_2221

Allegedly 20 are dead and more are wounded.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 10, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bip Roberts posted:

There would be a diplomatic brouhaha that Turkey would have to treat semi-seriously as opposed to some bluster where Turkey said to Syria "don't give a gently caress we'll do it again".

Turkey would just have to insist that the Russian jet was shot down by a Su-25 of the YPG, and provide as proof some hilariously fake satellite imagery where both planes apparently have a wingspan of several kilometers.

Russia would be forced to accept it and shut up.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 10, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Turkey would just have to insist that the Russian jet was shot down by a Su-24 of the YPG, and provide as proof some hilariously fake satellite imagery where both planes apparently have a wingspan of several kilometers.

Russia would be forced to accept it and shut up.

Turkey should say they shot one down and use some hilarious fake imagery as proof, only the fighter being shot down is clearly just a render of that joke Iranian "stealth fighter" from a couple years back piloted by a cartoon bear.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

HorseRenoir posted:

Two bombs detonated at a peace rally: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/10/turkey-suicide-bomb-killed-in-ankara?CMP=edit_2221

Allegedly 20 are dead and more are wounded.
HDP-led rally. And to think, six years ago, I actually thought Erdogan was moving Turkey forward... The coward's no better than Assad.

:nms::nws:
Explosion: https://twitter.com/dokuz8haber/status/652762388324872192/video/1
Aftermath: https://twitter.com/ahmetsaymadi/status/652752327326236672/video/1

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQ4h_vWUwAAZFIA.jpg

TOS-1 in Syria apparently?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

I know they'd given some to the Iraqis and I thought they'd already given some to the Syrians before this, but I'm not going to say I'm positive because I could just be remembering the Iraqi ones by mistake. And there was a report a few weeks ago of one in Ukraine, but that's for another thread.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

farraday posted:

Quick update.

Along the West Ghab plain/Latakia coastal mountain axis the regime has had success taking territory along all three of their liens of advance. All three of these are very limited fronts which can not support each other, but advance sin this area as a whole will protect the coastal enclaves and clearing the mountain will allow movement into the Ghab plain. As these are narrow fronts firepower advantages are important, however reversals can occur rapidly if sudden combat isn't met with reinforcements. The regime will need to maintain their position and advance to really break new ground in this region as both advance sand retreats have been commonplace.

Northern Hama. The initial assaults appear to have died down with mostly probing attacks and artillery barrage/bombing taking place now. Attrition continues to be a factor for front line regime vehicles, of note today was a poorly placed bivouac at the east end of the front that got ripped apart by ATGM fire with three videos of direct hits on tanks that were let in the open. Rebel losses are unclear, however on the west side of the front Russian helicopters have been particularly consistent about attacking Kafr Nabudah. Loss of the town does not immediately threaten the rest of the bastion but it would be troubling for the rebels as a repeatable assault strategy for the regime. Still the regime will have to send in ground forces to actually clear the town.

Finally it appear the regime is also conducting the offensive I said they should focus on toward Kweries airbase. Early reports are they have made some progress. It remains to be seen if they will get bogged down and what further support they can supply to the push while conducting simultaneous offensives elsewhere.

Do you think that the regime will be able to sustain such offences for long or will the rebels push back in Ghab? I am asking you since you seem to be very well versed on whats going on in the ground.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cugel the Clever posted:

HDP-led rally. And to think, six years ago, I actually thought Erdogan was moving Turkey forward... The coward's no better than Assad.

gently caress, who do you did it?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress, who do you did it?

Probably IS, possibly with somebody in the security services closing their eyes a whole lot.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Does that banner say 'Peace With Kurds, War With USA' ? Which party is that, there are lots of parties with hammer and sickle in their logo but I can't find that one.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Do you think that the regime will be able to sustain such offences for long or will the rebels push back in Ghab? I am asking you since you seem to be very well versed on whats going on in the ground.

I would say no. Nothing I've seen recently suggests that have the ability to run multiple advances like this. They definitely have manpower problems. On balance I suspect an NDF call up of units they can coerce into becoming frontline troops. Part of the reason I suspect this is the recent focus on a Christian NDF unit in northern Hama that garnered attention for the crosses on its tanks. Still I'm honestly unsure how long they can maintain a full court press.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

Probably IS, possibly with somebody in the security services closing their eyes a whole lot.

The HDP is blaming the state, says BBC.

This is really, really bad. Considering how Turkey has been acting lately, it will probably respond to the bombings by banning the HDP party and arresting its members.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a video from moments after the bombing that really shows the scale. It looks like Aleppo. :( Reports are now saying 47 dead.

:nms: https://twitter.com/curdistani/status/652820641327017985 :nms:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Twitter just got shut off in Turkey. What else is new.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
Expel Turkey from NATO, give Smyrna and Constantinople back to Greece, divvy up Eastern Anatolia between Armenia and Kurdistan. Problem solved!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Death toll up to 86. Claims that makes it the deadliest terrorist attack in Turkey's history? Here's a video of people beating the police out of the way so that ambulances can get through.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/652827448493637632

That 86 number comes from a Turkish minister on live TV, so it's being covered, but I've seen reports that Turkey isn't allowing the media to show footage of the attack.

Edit:

Bariş means peace.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 10, 2015

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Everything is bad.

Nothing is good.

Why the gently caress did I watch that video. Don't bother, you know what ISIS does.

Many more injured so expect it to get worse all day.

Mackers fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 10, 2015

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mackers posted:

Why the gently caress did I watch that video. Don't bother, you know what ISISErdogan does.

Many more injured so expect it to get worse all day.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can Turkey invoke Article 5 because of this? Is Ankara not being in Europe an issue, and does this terrorist attack qualify as an attack on Turkey if it turns out it was caused by ISIS? (edit: Or "caused by ISIS")

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 10, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

What are those young protesters holding hands saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

Can Turkey invoke Article 5 because of this? Is Ankara not being in Europe an issue, and does this terrorist attack qualify as an attack on Turkey if it turns out it was caused by ISIS?

There's been attacks before in Turkey with nothing like that happening. This massacre was committed against Kurds, and police hindered response efforts. With that and what we've heard so far today, everything points to Turkey trying to downplay what happened rather than make a big deal over it.

• Locked thread