Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Rand Paul, in a bid for attention, has challenged Bernie Sanders to a one on one debate. Sanders has not yet responded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Patter Song posted:

Rand Paul, in a bid for attention, has challenged Bernie Sanders to a one on one debate. Sanders has not yet responded.

As much as I'd love to see that, Bernie probably only has time to debate presidential candidates now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Patter Song posted:

Which he can't do unless he wants to be booted out of the Democratic debates, iirc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which he can't do unless he wants to be booted out of the Democratic debates, iirc.

The rule is supposed to be just against the Dems debating each other, but DWS would totally reinterpret it your way.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

More quotes from that Matt Drudge interview because I'm watching the rest of it.

THE BRAIN IN THE JAR OF THE OVAL OFFICE THAT WAS ONCE KNOWN AS HILLARY CLINTON IS HYPOTHYROID

HILLARY WITH THE NSA? GOOD LUCK IF YOU DISSENT. GOOD LUCK IF YOU DISSENT

SANDERS? ALSO OLD. OLD. WHAT IS THIS OLDNESS!?

HAVE NO GUNS AROUND YOU, HILLARY. I DARE YOU.

YOU'RE A ROMANTIC FIGURE, ALEX. IT'S ROMANTIC WHAT YOU DO HERE. IT JUST IS. THIS IS ROMANCE.

THEY CAN LASER BEAM ME, THEY CAN DRONE ME, THEY CAN PLUTONIUM ME, THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.

I'M LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES. WITH BRAVERY.

[BURPS] THEY CAME UP WITH THE NAME "ISIS" TO BE CONFUSED WITH DARRELL ISSA (congressman, R-California)

[THE MEDIA] HAVE GOT NO CONTROL OVER THE SITUATION. NONE. NO CONTROL. NO CONTROL OVER ME, SORRY. ZERO.

So did they just do a bunch of coke together and record the ensuing conversation?

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Patter Song posted:

You're missing the word "desperate"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Patter Song posted:

:rip: Rand, your weird hair is no match for Bernie's

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

The biggest nuclear grave for ISIS you ever seen. Unparalleled use of advanced ordinance. We're gonna make Israel, Iran, and the Arabs bury the hatchet in it. Enough sending our brave men and women over there for what?

Dolash posted:

What if the pilots and passengers had all had guns, huh? Of course, in this scenario the terrorists would've been allowed to bring their guns on the plane too, so maybe the pilots should bring some heavy ordnance to even the odds.

I'm assuming if Trump (or any President) came to power and gave some stupid "gently caress it, nuke 'em" order that wasn't part of a hosed-up MAD situation, it'd get deliberately mishandled. Turning Raqqa into a crater would get people the world over to "bury the hatchet" in the form of a new "Holy gently caress the U.S. has lost it" coalition.
Where does this dumbass idea that's we'd actually use nuclear weapons against ISIL even come from? We would we even do that?

I mean for gently caress's sake, if nothing else we don't even need to do so, conventional bombs have proven to work really well against them without the whole "rest of the world unites against us in horror". Trump might order carpet bombings of Raqqa/Mosul et al, sure, but why would you think he'd jump to the "nuke" option?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The day Trump nukes ISIS and brings peace to the Middle East will undoubtedly become a new national holiday.

Cold beers and hot radioactive death. USA

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

fade5 posted:

Where does this dumbass idea that's we'd actually use nuclear weapons against ISIL even come from? We would we even do that?

I mean for gently caress's sake, if nothing else we don't even need to do so, conventional bombs have proven to work really well against them without the whole "rest of the world unites against us in horror". Trump might order carpet bombings of Raqqa/Mosul et al, sure, but why would you think he'd jump to the "nuke" option?

When you're inventing something to argue against, hell, you might as well make it big.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
McDowell has made enough crazy posts in gip that for awhile a few of us was worried he would pull a caro.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Patter Song posted:

The rule is supposed to be just against the Dems debating each other, but DWS would totally reinterpret it your way.

I doubt they'd kick him out of the debate for so obviously petty a reason. But I also don't know why Bernie Sanders would agree to our anyways, even if he crushed Paul (which is likely, Paul is a doofus) there still wouldn't be an upside for Sanders.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Patter Song posted:

lmao

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Patter Song posted:

I'm actually worried about how well Bernie can do in a debate, but he easily beats Randy and it wouldn't be pretty.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
No need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXwDMqjC-A

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Youth Decay posted:

I'm actually worried about how well Bernie can do in a debate, but he easily beats Randy and it wouldn't be pretty.

the best response would be "maybe I'll have time after I'm elected"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Get hosed, Rand.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
This is so fuckin' dumb

EDIT: Once SNL and the daily show got ahold of that Debate Libertarianism might finally go in the dustbin of history. There's a reason it's fringe, it doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The best part is the woman behind Paul who looks like he is constantly letting out rank farts. Which he is basically doing with his mouth.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

When you're inventing something to argue against, hell, you might as well make it big.

You misunderstand, I mean to suggest there's not even a real possibility that a President could use a nuclear strike against a non-nuclear power, since I'm skeptical the U.S. military would carry out such an order. The conventional bombing is much more likely, but even then some kind of all-out carpet bombing would probably lead to significant political pushback.

McDowell was arguing for.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Edit: Misread Rand Paul as Paul Ryan, which is apparently a phenomenon that happens. Whoops.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 10, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Oiled and Ready posted:

Edit: Misread Rand Paul as Paul Ryan, which is apparently a phenomenon that happens. Whoops.

phew i thought that was just me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They could nominate Reagan and see if we can turn it into the wight house.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dolash posted:

You misunderstand, I mean to suggest there's not even a real possibility that a President could use a nuclear strike against a non-nuclear power, since I'm skeptical the U.S. military would carry out such an order. The conventional bombing is much more likely, but even then some kind of all-out carpet bombing would probably lead to significant political pushback.

McDowell was arguing for.

You think the U.S. military would pull a coup on the President? People controlling nukes are like robots that follow faceless orders to press buttons turn knobs and fling nukes as far as I can tell. Here's an excellent episode exploring nuke handlers from the AAA tier "War" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Wb2p28tlY

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

these folks seem really angry, and are probably unpleasant to be around

but if that first pic is about college football, then yeah agreed

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

No one is gonna nuke ISIS. If we really want to kill everyone in eastern Syria we'll just carpet bomb the whole drat area until things stop moving. It'll have the same outcome without breaking up NATO, sending nuclear fallout across the region, and encouraging other states to develop and use nuclear weapons.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

No one is gonna nuke ISIS.

donald trump will nuke isis

or buy their land and build hotels

it's hard to tell which, sometimes

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

donald trump will nuke isis

or buy their land and build hotels

it's hard to tell which, sometimes

First one, then the other.

Not sure which order he'll do it in though.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Oiled and Ready posted:

My favourite is "Trump, Rubio, Kasich, Bush, Walker, and Rand" as if Rand is the surname- which if we're talking Ayn Rand makes too much sense not to be a coincidence. I'd rather be Heinrich Himmler Junior than have people think I have anything to do with her

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

I never said America could or should do it unilaterally. Nuclear weapons have ideological value against the arms trade and relativist anti-science.

Third World Reggin posted:

McDowell has made enough crazy posts in gip that for awhile a few of us was worried he would pull a caro.

I've posted in GIP maybe a handful of times? :confused:

When Assad crossed the 'red line' though I was ready for Obama to intervene and trigger a confrontation with Russia. I was just starting grad school and would have ditched for a recruitment center. That's probably as close as I can get to going Caro

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gotta be honest, of all the "recruitment incidents" of my life, invading Syria would have possibly been the dumbest.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Gotta be honest, of all the "recruitment incidents" of my life, invading Syria would have possibly been the dumbest.

We weren't going to invade Syria - we were going to bomb Assad for gassing his own people - Congress said 'No' - Infowars said they did it to themselves.

Really hosed up that Americans are easily manipulated by 'stuff happening' on television so they pass certain laws and do certain things. But when other upsetting things happen we don't act. There is no reason to it, except making money from suffering and the consolidation of power. War is only profitable at a controlled scale. It is a disease. When will we ever learn?

Modern telecommunications promise a new kind of democracy - where is it?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

McDowell posted:

We weren't going to invade Syria - we were going to bomb Assad for gassing his own people - Congress said 'No' - Infowars said they did it to themselves.

Really hosed up that Americans are easily manipulated by 'stuff happening' on television so they pass certain laws and do certain things. But when other upsetting things happen we don't act. There is no reason to it, except making money from suffering and the consolidation of power. War is only profitable at a controlled scale. It is a disease. When will we ever learn?

Modern telecommunications promise a new kind of democracy - where is it?

What the gently caress are you even saying here amigo?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Thump! posted:

Every post McDowell makes is about nuclear warfare.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Why didn't we have a more reasoned response after 9/11? The world was behind us in Afghanistan - enormous good will was wasted with Iraq. This is the burden of every thinking American. We write the pages of history - this is the American Revolution.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Source your quotes dude

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

McDowell posted:

Why didn't we have a more reasoned response after 9/11? The world was behind us in Afghanistan - enormous good will was wasted with Iraq. This is the burden of every thinking American. We write the pages of history - this is the American Revolution.

Because George Bush is a loving retard, that's why.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Because George Bush is a loving retard, that's why.

Who elected him? Who is responsible for these decisions? How can we be more responsible in the future?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

McDowell posted:

Who elected him? Who is responsible for these decisions? How can we be more responsible in the future?

Oooh I know the first one! 5 members of the supreme court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

McDowell posted:

We could start by launching Antonin Scalia into the moon.

• Locked thread