Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Grouchio posted:

After 70 years of existence, North Korea now thinks it has the balls to take the US on.

Wishful propaganda or actual threats? I would like to hear your take.

As an American I hereby surrender to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grouchio posted:

Option 3: Same poo poo they've been saying for years.

North Korea's military is a total joke that could probably be defeated by humanitarian air drops.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's that different from the usual saber rattling?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grouchio posted:

After 70 years of existence, North Korea now thinks it has the balls to take the US on.

Take the US on? With what? Their most advanced rocks and pointed sticks? They've been saying this poo poo for years.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Imperialists beware

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

My take, based on you taking this article seriously, is that you probably know almost nothing about North Korea. As to their capabilities, we'll have to wait for the mil nerds to analyze pictures of the missile launchers to see how advanced (or even how fake) they are.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

As to their capabilities, we'll have to wait for the mil nerds to analyze pictures of the missile launchers to see how advanced (or even how fake) they are.
That parade had T-34-85s in it. A tank that was obsolete in 1945.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, but the real item that people care about is the state of their mobile missile launchers. They aren't a threat to the US, yet, but they have made a point of improving them.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That parade had T-34-85s in it. A tank that was obsolete in 1945.

Also T-34/76s, which were obsolete a few years prior.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Also T-34/76s, which were obsolete a few years prior.
I'm honestly surprised there are T-34s still running in North Korea. I wonder if they've re-engined them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

My take, based on you taking this article seriously, is that you probably know almost nothing about North Korea. As to their capabilities, we'll have to wait for the mil nerds to analyze pictures of the missile launchers to see how advanced (or even how fake) they are.
No man this dude is legit.

Grouchio posted:

If tensions don't fall by Sunday, we could see the real thing.

And nukes. :gonk:

Grouchio posted:

What shall the US do about this then?

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if Bernie would be potentially more active than Obama Ficklespine at dealing with bullshit like this...
Grouchio, please tell us what you would like Barry Osama bin Ficklespine to do about the North Korean threat.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm honestly surprised there are T-34s still running in North Korea. I wonder if they've re-engined them.

I wouldn't doubt it. There are a few countries still using the T-34 today, along with one or two that use the M4 Sherman as well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I wouldn't doubt it. There are a few countries still using the T-34 today, along with one or two that use the M4 Sherman as well.

Argentina gifted away its M3 halftracks like five years ago.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Azran posted:

Argentina gifted away its M3 halftracks like five years ago.

Imagine being the country that received those.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

IIRC some country in Central America was still rocking Stuarts up until like 2008.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

If all your tanks are likely to do is roll over some civilians, WWII models work as well as anything.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Chile, IIRC. They were going to use them as ambulance trucks. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

drat, i wonder what would happen to it if it got hit by a modern tank shell.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
War, war never changes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Arms Dealers, however, are quite well known for giving change.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's still more armored than any BMP or vehicles like the Stryker. A modern shell would punch a nice hole through the armor and cause a poo poo load of shrapnel for the occupants on the inside. A T34 is still not properly obsolete in that it can resist small arms and pose a real danger to any non MBT on the field. It'd also be complete suicide for it's crew.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The funny thing is, that article's technically true. If the USA went to war with North Korea (whether via an attack on US soil, President Trump getting a wild hair up his rear end, or whatever the hell) it would not be a particularly easy fight; they wouldn't be able to wage offensive war, but they'd be able to defend well enough to make it a big ol' pain in the dick for us, probably moreso than it'd be worth.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If anything it would be China who slaps NK and tells them to knock it the gently caress off. The last thing they want is their little idiot cousin daring the US military to show up in their backyard or actually doing something to piss the US enough to respond with their military and end up with a flood of NK refugees flooding over China's border. The last time NK did this China basically said in a roundabout polite way "Knock your poo poo off"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The funny thing is, that article's technically true. If the USA went to war with North Korea (whether via an attack on US soil, President Trump getting a wild hair up his rear end, or whatever the hell) it would not be a particularly easy fight; they wouldn't be able to wage offensive war, but they'd be able to defend well enough to make it a big ol' pain in the dick for us, probably moreso than it'd be worth.
The only challenge would be to see if the USAF could kill them before they starved to death.

The North Korean Army is pretty much the only part of the state apparatus that is even semi-functional and if it ever mobilized the whole country would start to starve.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The only challenge would be to see if the USAF could kill them before they starved to death.

The North Korean Army is pretty much the only part of the state apparatus that is even semi-functional and if it ever mobilized the whole country would start to starve.

Pretty much. Developed First World countries can be ranked according to how long (In terms of raw supplies, due to the assumption that production will be targeted by the opponent) a country could wage total war for. I can't find the study, but the USA was placed at about 10 years, North Korea barely managed a month. They'll run out of fuel first, then water, then food. Then, if they try for a protracted defense, we'll see some pretty massive starvation.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm no scientist but they would probably explode.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Leader publicly declares to the population that the country is capable of defending itself against foreign aggression from the country's greatest enemy. Will his wild and crazy and incomprehensible warmongering ever cease!?!?!?!!?!????!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty much. Developed First World countries can be ranked according to how long (In terms of raw supplies, due to the assumption that production will be targeted by the opponent) a country could wage total war for. I can't find the study, but the USA was placed at about 10 years, North Korea barely managed a month. They'll run out of fuel first, then water, then food. Then, if they try for a protracted defense, we'll see some pretty massive starvation.
LOB, I believe you're right but for the wrong reasons. In the event of invasion, the DPRK military is supposedly trained to fight to the last man, waging guerrilla warfare from the mountains. That's a lot more relevant to the mythology built around Kim Il Sung's resistance to the Japanese than it is to reality. The army is not only poorly-equipped, but doesn't even eat well during peacetime. When a young man enters mandatory military service, his family uses whatever political connections they can muster to try to get him into a unit that actually gets fed. Their military has actually rejected many young men from military service because childhood malnutrition rendered them unfit for service. Even on their own soil, their leadership and lines of communication would collapse almost instantly, and they'd run out of food long before they run out of bullets.

Conquering NK would be a nightmare because it would very quickly become a process of managing and feeding the population and protecting them from armed, hungry gangs of soldiers. The biggest threat on a military level would be their someone accessed and used whatever stockpiles of chemical/biological weapons they might have. And their anti-aircraft capability; can someone go into detail on that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
North Korea has very good anti-air capability around Pyongyang itself and some key military areas. But it's suspected that in part this is so that an attempted military uprising that got in the air force couldn't successfully threaten the regime (since the very best aircraft and the like are reserved for highly loyal servicemembers, and are on duty for defense of those same areas).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

One-hit kill without incredible luck. I can see an Abrams round going straight through a T-34 or Sherman and out the other side. poo poo, at its velocity even an Abrams practice round could potentially cause fatal damage to a WW2 tank.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Flotilla of North Korean boats with all their crew dead found off japan.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34944131

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

WarpedNaba posted:

If you ever do find it, let me know. That sounds like a really interesting read.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sparatuvs posted:

Flotilla of North Korean boats with all their crew dead found off japan.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34944131

Dehydration is a hell of a way to go.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
North Korea is saying that they have apparently developed a Hydrogen Bomb.

Pretty ridicules, maybe a show of force after the reported instability in Pyongyang last week.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

sparatuvs posted:

Pretty ridicules, maybe a show of force after the reported instability in Pyongyang last week.

Perhaps they built a Zeppelin?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Can you link the reports on instability?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

WarpedNaba posted:

Can you link the reports on instability?

http://www.rfa.org/korean/in_focus/ne-ms-12032015084455.html

Radio Free Asia says it's unsourced , so it is one of the notoriously shotty assassination attempt reports used to strengthen unity inside the dprk, whether or not it happened doesn't matter, it shows something happened that needed some type of story to bolster moral.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Kinda forgot they had helicopters for a second.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Koramei posted:

Well maybe if you were a clairvoyant infallible super-general

You rang?

I believe the latest round of talks are merely a front for South Korea to begin its own nuclear armaments program. It's the only rational response at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
i bet the chinese would just love that.