Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

BadAstronaut posted:

I am playing on iPad so there's not much I can do. I will just have to make this an incredibly thorough playthrough with my currently very weak thief character... level 8 thief and level 13 kensai by the way/

The game is not really that hard anyway once you understand it, and you no doubt do by now. So you won't have a hard time with it at all and your <charname> will be doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, my party is strong and I have good buffs and summons between Jaheira, Imoen and Anomen. My charname is a little squishy though, given armour restrictions and the like.

Currently in Bhodi's labyrinth. Any items I should be sure not to miss? I want to build Crom Feyr and the Gesen Bow. Are there ways of missing these things?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

BadAstronaut posted:

Yep, my party is strong and I have good buffs and summons between Jaheira, Imoen and Anomen. My charname is a little squishy though, given armour restrictions and the like.

Currently in Bhodi's labyrinth. Any items I should be sure not to miss? I want to build Crom Feyr and the Gesen Bow. Are there ways of missing these things?

Absolutely they can be missed, once you leave the underdark you can't go back so any items you need there you better have before you leave. If you want wave you better look at the spoilers to make sure you go via the saghuin city. You really do want wave if you plan on going into ToB.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Getting these items was something I missed when I first played the game more than 10 years ago and I want to give it a full run now. There are no story spoilers for me for BG2 itself, but I never played ToB so I'm more than happy to look at any BG2:SoA spoilers if it helps :)

Does this list cover everything?
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/shops/cromwells-smithy.php

Also: What is the Spider figurine item used for?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 7, 2015

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

BadAstronaut posted:

Also: What is the Spider figurine item used for?
It summons a moderately useful Phase Spider once/day from your quickslot.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmmmm - having a bit of a problem here. Where is Havaerian after I find the pirate horn? I can't see him anywhere.

Playing on ipad. There's no way to initiate a console is there? This could be a very old bug, from the Google searches I am doing.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 10, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He should be on the deck of the furthest south ship.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmmmm - having a bit of a problem here. Where is Havaerian after I find the pirate horn? I can't see him anywhere.

There's actually a bug that stops him spawning sometimes, what version are you playing on?

Normally he's either at the inn or he's waiting by the ship to escape. If he's not in either than just use the console to create him, if you don't know how to use the console, Google it. You want this code to summon him:
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("ppsaem3")

(Make sure you do it on the ship or the cutscene will be weird)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

fong posted:

There's actually a bug that stops him spawning sometimes, what version are you playing on?

Normally he's either at the inn or he's waiting by the ship to escape. If he's not in either than just use the console to create him, if you don't know how to use the console, Google it. You want this code to summon him:
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("ppsaem3")

(Make sure you do it on the ship or the cutscene will be weird)

This is a super common bug, I had to spawn him too.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I am on the ipad and think I am hosed. Loaded an old savegame from Asylum right after talking to him, and the exact same bug happens.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

You should still be able to use the console, it's not an external application.

edit: yes you can, just use a text file editor and edit the ini file to add the debug stuff and then you can use the console. ctrl-tab, ctrl-m or ctrl-space might get the console open?

edit2: after more looking around none of this might work. I wouldn't play this on an ipad now that I know, you run into game breaking bugs on the reg with this game....

edit3: you can copy the file off with a file management program then edit the save with eekeeper and copy it back, but I don't know what you need to change to get the guy to spawn.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 10, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Far too much effort.

Very disappointed. Guess I can just go back to the asylum and get the portal to the underdark.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies

Washout posted:

edit3: you can copy the file off with a file management program then edit the save with eekeeper and copy it back, but I don't know what you need to change to get the guy to spawn.

I'm not sure this works anymore with ios9. I tried using one recently to transfer a save between iPads and you can't get access to the game files anymore as far as I'm aware. If somebody knows a file manager that works I'd love to know which one.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fwiw I think the bug is caused by you leaving the inn before he does?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

fong posted:

fwiw I think the bug is caused by you leaving the inn before he does?

Yeah this sounds like what I found out when I was trying to fix it myself.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If that is true I will give it another go...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nope. Even if I wait he just disappears completely. Come on Beamdog.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Nope. Even if I wait he just disappears completely. Come on Beamdog.

The same bug (or some form of it) was in the original game too. They should've fixed it but at least this one isn't explicitly their fault.

Other people seem to think the bug can be avoided by you helping Ginia get off the island before you go to Spellhold. Its somehow related to whether or not you've helped Ginia, so if you haven't done that you could try before speaking to Saemon.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I already did that before.

I wonder if it has anything to do with having killed a pirate lord or some particular pirates before going to Spellhold?

I couldn't be hosed to play through all that again so I have just gone to the underdark via the portal.

What's the best approach for taking on gauths and elder orbs?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

I already did that before.

I wonder if it has anything to do with having killed a pirate lord or some particular pirates before going to Spellhold?

I couldn't be hosed to play through all that again so I have just gone to the underdark via the portal.

What's the best approach for taking on gauths and elder orbs?

The shield of spell reflection I can't recall the name, or put a mustard jelly out front to tank all the magic damage via polymorph while you archer them to death or whatever, or a bunch of summoned monsters or undead tanking. To deal with the illithid lair I used a ton of summoned undead buffed with everything I could buff them with. Luckily the Beholders area is not very big so even if you have to resummon after every fight it won't take that long, the illithid lair is the hardest part imo.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 11, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Washout posted:

The shield of spell reflection I can't recall the name, or put a mustard jelly out front to tank all the magic damage via polymorph while you archer them to death or whatever, or a bunch of summoned monsters or undead tanking. To deal with the illithid lair I used a ton of summoned undead buffed with everything I could buff them with. Luckily the Beholders area is not very big so even if you have to resummon after every fight it won't take that long, the illithid lair is the hardest part imo.

Chaotic Commands turns the Ilithid Lair into a joke, and it lasts 1 turn per level of caster, so at that point it's active for a really long time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Washout posted:

The shield of Balduran reflects beholder gazes and makes the beholder lair a joke. It's available for purchase from Diedre in the Adventurers Mart, I believe.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The whole game is a joke.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Decrepus posted:

The whole game is a joke.

A good one though!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Taliesyn posted:

Chaotic Commands turns the Ilithid Lair into a joke, and it lasts 1 turn per level of caster, so at that point it's active for a really long time.

They can still eat your brain tho.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Washout posted:

They can still eat your brain tho.

They can also bludgeon you to death or watch as their minions slaughter your entire party. Doesn't mean it's likely as long as you are careful and don't send Minsc wading into the entire mass of ilithids by himself, and even he can survive one hit. The place isn't even that difficult to clear in an ironman/insane run; normal with reloads shouldn't even be an issue as long as you use Chaotic Commands.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well I finished an ironman run through IWD1, with HoW and TotLM. I guess it was mostly a reminder of why the BG series is so much better.

I mean, among a million other things, the final boss is basically a big mook. At least it only took me one try...

I thought lower dorn was pretty good, and some parts of the two expansions were OK but overall it felt basically like BG minus any of the good story, polish, or interesting battles.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Big Sean posted:

Well I finished an ironman run through IWD1, with HoW and TotLM. I guess it was mostly a reminder of why the BG series is so much better.

I mean, among a million other things, the final boss is basically a big mook. At least it only took me one try...

I thought lower dorn was pretty good, and some parts of the two expansions were OK but overall it felt basically like BG minus any of the good story, polish, or interesting battles.

I'm hard pressed to explain why BG2 is better than IWD myself. I guess it shows what BG would have been like with bad writing, although the writing is not really bad in IWD it's just not really even there because there is so much more fighting in between the talking parts. I would not say there are any interesting sidequests in IWD either, whereas there are a ton of great ones in BG1 and 2.

I guess the biggest difference is that there is zero comedy in IWD.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

On the flipside, though, you have to admit the music in IWD is really, really good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Taliesyn posted:

On the flipside, though, you have to admit the music in IWD is really, really good.

This is true, it's so good that I actually didn't turn it off, which I always have in the past.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Big Sean posted:

I mean, the BG1 story is pretty interesting for an elfgame, but the main plot of BG2 is pretty poo poo though even by fantasy standards? It's not at all the reason people play and like that game.
Also, not to like defend the honour of fair maiden IWD or anything, but the battles of that game are kinda objectively more polished and better thought out than anything found in the BG series, so I dunno what the deal is with that. did you play EE with some of the kits like Archer that simply breaks IWD in half or something like that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's the big universe and side quests (giving a pretty permanent feeling of exploring new ground) that I think people like about BG2. All the dungeons are either pretty short or incredibly varied (Watcher's Keep is, both tonally and content style wise, all over the place).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
BG1 as it was when it came out was really thin on both the story and combat. Then came IWD and PST, IWD being basically a little less story but loads better combat while Planescape Torment was all story, lousy combat. Then BG2 in a way was both, really great and epic combat and a pretty good if a bit cliched fantasy trope story (although Irenicus was back then the day pretty much the best villain in any RPG ever).

Now when you play these remastered versions that for example support high resolutions and don't take into account how the games were when they came out you might not understand that there was a huge technological jump in between BG1 and BG2.

Here's how the games looked back then:

and here's EE:

Quite a big difference.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The real reason people like Baldur's Gate: the feeling when you crit a dude and he explodes into gibs as the screen shakes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's something beautiful about the high graceful arc of a hobgoblin's thigh as it explodes off a dwarf's mace.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Any word at all about an Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition, or any reason why we should not expect one? It is the only IE game I haven't played yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Any word at all about an Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition, or any reason why we should not expect one? It is the only IE game I haven't played yet.

Don't expect one because the change to 3e made the entire thing creaky as hell.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Yeah, the IWD2 engine/ruleset is very different from BG1/2/IWD.

It's about as likely as a PST EE, I'd guess (or even less, since PST is more popular).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Big Sean posted:

You seem to have enjoyed the correct parts so I'll leave out any of personal insults and just say there isn't anything as cool in IE game stories as the back story between the Severed Hand and Dorn's Deep, and how the latter came to be controlled by the big bad. I can also only assume calling the battles as a whole, including bosses, uninteresting comes from a decade and a half of IE game mastery. Behlifet, Icasaracht, and especially the Luremaster, were huge stumbling points for the contemporary population in general, especially at an appropriate level which is exacerbated by the presentation structure of the expansions.

Arivia posted:

Don't expect one because the change to 3e made the entire thing creaky as hell.
The 3e part would be annoying but manageable scripting work. The bigger reason I expect they don't want to touch it is because it has a hacked together rendering engine they would be expected to untangle so that spell effects and creatures would finally look as good as they did at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Also they seem to be concent with milking the BG storyline for now. Reverse engineering the Infinity engine was a bit too much for them to handle anyway, they're better off building new games instead of putting out inferior versions of the old ones.