Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

El Scotch posted:

Here's some muffler-less hellcat noise for general enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpUUtadkd4

Especially on decel that thing sounds a lot like an old 440. I've been considering buying one as a DD, especially if I end up commuting more. I like my 300D but it's more of a project car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

revdrkevind posted:

Randomly paging back to the Huracan, I can't shake the time I saw a guy driving a white model with the prototype-style horizontal slats across the back window, and that may be the most beautiful car ever made for my tastes.
They're still pretty good looking. Someone at my office has started daily driving one to work. It's surprisingly tiny.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Removing mufflers is incredibly obnoxious. Removing cats even more so. Get a more aggressive exhaust, sure. But it should focus on altering the tone than the loudness. If you want it to be loud with windows closed in your nicely soundproofed car, then you're just being a dick to everyone who's not in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I got in trouble for using this clip during motorcycle safety training.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drgitlin posted:

This might be the first one I've actually seen on the road. Certainly the first one since I moved to the US in 2002. I remember lusting after this car so hard back in the mid-90s...

Zoom...enhance...zoom...enhance...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

revdrkevind posted:

Randomly paging back to the Huracan, I can't shake the time I saw a guy driving a white model with the prototype-style horizontal slats across the back window, and that may be the most beautiful car ever made for my tastes.

Something you really have to see in motion to appreciate. It's so low, and round, yet sharp at the edges.

Nice license plate frame :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The engine cover slats are the stock option - it's another $7k if you want the transparent engine bay.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Removing mufflers is incredibly obnoxious. Removing cats even more so. Get a more aggressive exhaust, sure. But it should focus on altering the tone than the loudness. If you want it to be loud with windows closed in your nicely soundproofed car, then you're just being a dick to everyone who's not in the car.
It's fine to remove the cat if you're putting a resonator in it's place to get rid of that horrible raspy noise.

And, of course if your car can legally get away with it. In the UK if the car's made before 1993 you can do away with the cat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I appreciate this post.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

drgitlin posted:

The engine cover slats are the stock option - it's another $7k if you want the transparent engine bay.

Who the hell would pay more money to make the car look worse?

Oh, but you can see the engine. (scary ghost noises)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Who the hell would pay more money to make the car look worse?

Oh, but you can see the engine. (scary ghost noises)

I don't think you have a very solid grasp on Lambo's target market demographic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrChips posted:

I must be the only person to think this, but that sounds like poo poo.

You're not alone. I'm curious how it would sound with a proper mic setup though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Slavvy posted:

I don't think you have a very solid grasp on Lambo's target market demographic.

lol here's one who didn't shell out for slat removal but he still has that lambo owner je ne sais quoi

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went to a lemons race yesterday, some colossal pieces of poo poo rolling around out there and I think it's awesome to see these turds racing.

No loving clue what this used to be:

Not sure this fit into the "under $500" rule but they barely made any laps, spent most of the day with people under the hood:

Looks pretty though!

And then there was this.

Few more here. Yes, someone was trying to race a Pontiac Tran Sport. It was just about the slowest vehicle on the track.

http://xzzy.org/photos/Lemons_2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

This guys lovely steering wheel grip is annoying the hell out of me. He's wrapping his thumbs and he re-grips the wheel with this nervous tic every five seconds.

Car sounds fuggin suhWEET though :fap:
Im glad I am not the only one autistic enough about driving to think this

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

xzzy posted:

I went to a lemons race yesterday, some colossal pieces of poo poo rolling around out there and I think it's awesome to see these turds racing.

No loving clue what this used to be:

Not sure this fit into the "under $500" rule but they barely made any laps, spent most of the day with people under the hood:

Looks pretty though!

And then there was this.

Few more here. Yes, someone was trying to race a Pontiac Tran Sport. It was just about the slowest vehicle on the track.

http://xzzy.org/photos/Lemons_2015

Oh yeah, that race totally snuck up on me this year, or else I would've gone too. The $500 rule is very flexible if you 1.) lie, 2.) bribe the judges, and/or 3.) choose a rare car, or some kind of insane engine swap.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fyodor posted:

lol here's one who didn't shell out for slat removal but he still has that lambo owner je ne sais quoi

That's an Aventador not a Huracan. Fwiw the transparent engine cover makes it impossible to see anything out the back because of the reflection of the cover's frame in the glass.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

xzzy posted:

Yes, someone was trying to race a Pontiac Tran Sport. It was just about the slowest vehicle on the track.
If it was the white one with the weird Mercedes-esque front end and double head lights, those guys are on the A-body board. They're having a grand old time, and have done a C5 Corvette front brake swap, since it became very obvious at the last race that the stockers were not up to the task. The front brakes nearly caught fire trying to haul down the bulk of the van over and over. Click for bigger:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rarbatrol posted:

Oh yeah, that race totally snuck up on me this year, or else I would've gone too. The $500 rule is very flexible if you 1.) lie, 2.) bribe the judges, and/or 3.) choose a rare car, or some kind of insane engine swap.

Can't you walk up to any car, offer them $500, and they're forced to accept? I thought that was the mechanism to keep people honest about that rule.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

If it was the white one with the weird Mercedes-esque front end and double head lights, those guys are on the A-body board. They're having a grand old time, and have done a C5 Corvette front brake swap, since it became very obvious at the last race that the stockers were not up to the task. The front brakes nearly caught fire trying to haul down the bulk of the van over and over. Click for bigger:

That's the same number, but the van is orange now.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Raluek posted:

Can't you walk up to any car, offer them $500, and they're forced to accept? I thought that was the mechanism to keep people honest about that rule.

Nope. The judges are probably experienced enough by now that it's hard to sneak anything too crazy past them. Also, a friend of the family was part of a pratt & miller sponsored team a few years ago. They apparently put something like 15K into their mustang, which got caught and totally slammed with penalty laps.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Raluek posted:

I think that's true for some Scandinavian (I want to say Finnish?) amateur-ish rally-ish thing? I believe there was a Top Gear bit about it... The one where May learned how to drive and do the flick maybe?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It was an early LeMons rule, the judges were allowed to walk up to either the winner or people in the top ten I believe, and buy the car for $500.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

It was an early LeMons rule, the judges were allowed to walk up to either the winner or people in the top ten I believe, and buy the car for $500.

Was that rule ever used?

I'm assuming that rule is gone now. Is there a good story behind it going away?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

honda whisperer posted:

Was that rule ever used?

I'm assuming that rule is gone now. Is there a good story behind it going away?

It still exists, but they've only used it like twice.

You have to be a REAL Cock to get it invoked, usually it's just such a big penalty that you'd never come close to a win anyway.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Dannywilson posted:

This is actually common-ish for amateur racing, and it usually says anyone can offer. My dad and I used to race go-karts and especially when it was supposed to be a more limited formula or a kids' series there would be a rule of $whatever.

It's always more of a gentlemen's agreement than an enforced rule. It does actually happen, but it gets into serious honor and saving face territory when you're at that point.

Everyone involved would generally prefer if the person just drops out, gives their place and winnings to the next in line.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
In Finnish "folkracing" any car has to be sold for 1400€ and there are plenty of cars bought and sold in every race. If there is more than one willing buyer the guy/gal who gets to buy it is chosen in random. Because of this, the competitors with the best cars have their friends and relatives to register as willing buyers to increase their chances to retain the cars. There are also tricks like button activated oil injection to the exhaust manifold on the final lap to make it look like the engine is about to explode to discourage potential buyers.

Edit: It looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVC4u5lbHPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNgyviUj9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQAVSMB0C8

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 12, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Utah Department of Transportation has a pretty good sense of humor (not my photo, taken from a local Facebook group)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DoLittle posted:

In Finnish "folkracing" any car has to be sold for 1400€ and there are plenty of cars bought and sold in every race. If there is more than one willing buyer the guy/gal who gets to buy it is chosen in random. Because of this, the competitors with the best cars have their friends and relatives to register as willing buyers to increase their chances to retain the cars. There are also tricks like button activated oil injection to the exhaust manifold on the final lap to make it look like the engine is about to explode to discourage potential buyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVC4u5lbHPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNgyviUj9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQAVSMB0C8

Holy poo poo that looks like a lot of fun.

e: I guess LeMons or Chump Car is the closest we get here in the US. It seems like everything else gets way too serious, and thence expensive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

This is actually common-ish for amateur racing, and it usually says anyone can offer. My dad and I used to race go-karts and especially when it was supposed to be a more limited formula or a kids' series there would be a rule of $whatever.

It's always more of a gentlemen's agreement than an enforced rule. It does actually happen, but it gets into serious honor and saving face territory when you're at that point.

Everyone involved would generally prefer if the person just drops out, gives their place and winnings to the next in line.

Bucket racing motorbikes over here still follow that rule. As a result the entire field is usually composed of Suzuki RG150's, FXR150's and the like. It's easily the cheapest and most accessible form of motorsport around.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

drgitlin posted:

This might be the first one I've actually seen on the road. Certainly the first one since I moved to the US in 2002. I remember lusting after this car so hard back in the mid-90s...

That feeling when someone posts a picture taken on your street.

(not mine)

(oh my god I wish it was mine)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DoLittle posted:

I fully intended to be productive and get a lot of things done tonight when I got home from work. Instead I just spent 2 hours watching poo poo-boxes crash into things and each other in Finland. :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo that looks like a lot of fun.

e: I guess LeMons or Chump Car is the closest we get here in the US. It seems like everything else gets way too serious, and thence expensive.

Lemons really frowns on any kind of contact too. They also have a rule on the books if you ever roll your car, you're banned from the series for a year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

xzzy posted:

Lemons really frowns on any kind of contact too. They also have a rule on the books if you ever roll your car, you're banned from the series for a year.

Did you know we have a member here who rolled a car at a lemons race?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No I must have missed that in the handbook when I registered.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Found an old Australian Mercedes ad from the 80s. I remember seeing this as a kid and wondered how the gently caress the family survived, especially since Benzes at that time in Australia didn't have airbags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojePSOrnYw

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

I just knew this had to be one of the van's iterations, would have been great with a pup trailer behind it done up as one of those awful power inverter block from the 90's

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's amusing seeing all its iterations.

Fresh paint and some rims!

I love how instead of redoing the numbers, they just masked that part off and painted around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A local time-attack team has a rather impressive RX-7 that was featured on speedhunters last year:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/rage-within-machine-valtonen-rx-7/

Based on their facebook pages (https://www.facebook.com/ValtonenMotorsport), it appears to have experienced some further development: