Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Modern Superman is Modern America.

"Yeah we bombed the dogshit out of a Doctors Without Borders children's hospital. But those kills don't count. Besides, what are you gonna do about it?"

#TeamBatman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[Superman ripping the heads off of every person in Metropolis]

"Stop resisting, citizens. I'm here to help you."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I think it's extremely hosed up and irresponsible for the vanguard of American values, Superman, to encourage his young audience to consume unhealthy foods and snacks.

You say that as if that isn't the epitome of American values.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alhazred posted:

But I don't see why its important how relevant or how objectivist the Question is. Rorschach is still an example of how crazy you have to be to become a vigilante.

I'm not saying that Watchmen is somehow devalued because of it; I just think it's funny. I chuckle heartily. It's also kind of amusing that the other characters still work as parodies of current superheroes but there's really no analogue to Rorschach.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I have no idea who The Question is or what that's a picture of but Watchmen is great. I don't understand the complaint of it being lazy at all.

vainman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 9, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Rorschach is still an example of how crazy you have to be to become a vigilante.

I always interpreted Rorschach more as an object lesson in the dangers of becoming a vigilante; the other characters are vigilantes too but they're not nearly as batshit as he is. His hosed-up childhood and adolescence made him more susceptible to going over the edge than the others, but it's pretty heavily implied iirc that prior to killing the child murderer he was relatively normal by the standards of his group (if somewhat creepy).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

vainman posted:

I have no idea who The Question is or what that's a picture of but Watchmen is great. I don't understand the complaint of it being lazy at all.

The Question is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuieQwfhzA

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If only there was a thread for posting about Comic Book Movies

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

If only there was a thread for posting about Comic Book Movies

Those guys are dorks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So you're saying, to make a truly, contextually analogous film, we'd need an infallible, quip-y, and true blue boy scout. One who puts his faith in the justness of the criminal justice system (despite repeat offenders), the potential of tomorrow's generation(whose influences and morality must be considered), and the honesty of the common man (and doesn't let a few bad apples ruin it).

I'd like that actually.

We already got that and it ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_yazDpHWc

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Those guys are dorks.

My man you are posting about your problems with the morality of the most recent film adaptation of Superman in the poster thread in the movie subforum of the somethingawful forums

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

My man you are posting about your problems with the morality of the most recent film adaptation of Superman in the poster thread in the movie subforum of the somethingawful forums

Which says a whole hell of a lot about those fucken poindexters.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pesky Splinter posted:

Can't wait for a gritty Bananaman

It's not going to be gritty

That poster could also work for an Ape Escape movie.

or Bananas in Pajamas, if it was grimdark

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Pack: "I Thought Watchmen Was Pretty Cool" Superhero-and-Vaguely-Superhero-ish-Sounding-Titles Edition.

Edited to add the underpants-on-the-head crazy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5A8TysszJQ

Distorted Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 10, 2015

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not saying that Watchmen is somehow devalued because of it; I just think it's funny. I chuckle heartily. It's also kind of amusing that the other characters still work as parodies of current superheroes but there's really no analogue to Rorschach.

Rorschach was always more Travis Bickle to me than The Question tbh.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rorschach was never The Question, he's Mr. A through and through.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

Make a Teen Titans Go movie and watch nerds loving melt down.

AND NOW
IT'S TIME
TO GET REALLY REALLY REALLY SERIOUS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I Before E posted:

Rorschach was never The Question, he's Mr. A through and through.

He was The Question in the initial draft of the story, and you can still see some of it in his mannerisms.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

94: A Mass Acre of Massacre (part 1 of 2)

Massacre in Rome

Meatcleaver Massacre

Nail Gun Massacre

Slumber Party Massacre II

Women's Prison Massacre

Microwave Massacre

Alien Massacre

Blood Massacre

Cheerleader Massacre

Drive-In Massacre

Hospital Massacre

Mardi Gras Massacre

Massacre at Central High

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
What a treat your post was. Hot, and I mean HOT babes!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
A lot of people in this thread are hilariously unaware of image rights. I shot a commercial a couple years ago before I was aware of this, and it happened to have the Empire State Building in the background of it; not even featured just in 15 frames of one second. We heard from their team immediately.

People own the rights to images, buildings, faces etc. you can't just use them Willy nilly and expect it to be cool. I can see how that poster could take a year to get approved. The art didn't take that long, the legal process did.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's a hell of a tagline. I'm interested.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lurdiak posted:

He was The Question in the initial draft of the story, and you can still see some of it in his mannerisms.

Yeah, the original plan was to use the Charlton comics roster that DC had recently acquired the rights to; Rorschach was the Question, Dr. Manhattan was Captain Atom, Nite Owl was Blue Beetle. Watchmen apparently started as a farewell story to the main Charlton superteam, that got rewritten when DC told Alan Moore they were intending to make them part of the DC universe.

I remember reading that one of the miscellaneous 'never going to be seriously used but we need to fill the numbers' alternate universes in the New 52 reboot is the original Charlton lineup going through the events of Watchmen.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

ShufflerZero posted:

94: A Mass Acre of Massacre (part 1 of 2)

Drive-In Massacre

That's a very specific fear

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I watch 5 minutes of Nail gun Massacre, and figured it would have been better as Railgun Massacre.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

[Superman ripping the heads off of every person in Metropolis]

"Stop resisting, citizens. I'm here to help you."

Miracleman would be loving insane as a movie. All powerful god-man decides to be an all powerful god-man.

Also, his old sidekick goes insane and spends a day murdering London.

ShufflerZero posted:

Nail Gun Massacre

Looks like an evil Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not real. That can't be real. If that's real I'm shutting off the entire internet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Now there's a stunt cast.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Is Gotham any good yet?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Not really, ever worked with a programmer before? They can get cranky.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now there's a stunt cast.

Isn't it just a reprise from Batman Returns?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, and that's hilarious. He's aged into the role of Penguin's Dad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BonoMan posted:

Not real. That can't be real. If that's real I'm shutting off the entire internet.

Well seeing as how Paul Reubens isn't going to be cast in Season 2 and that's clearly meant to be Oswald Cobblebot's parents lifted directly from Batman Returns, I'd say there's a good possibility that it's real.

I mean not real. Or do I?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Well seeing as how Paul Reubens isn't going to be cast in Season 2 and that's clearly meant to be Oswald Cobblebot's parents lifted directly from Batman Returns, I'd say there's a good possibility that it's real.

I mean not real. Or do I?

It is real.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Byzantine posted:

It's actually a decent movie. The premise is that Segal was in an automobile crash and he's been suffering from blackouts caused by the head trauma that make him go into blind rage. He's serving a sentence for beating up his wife during one of these fits that a bunch of shady doctors offer him a deal to be the subject of a radical brain surgery where he will have electrodes implanted in his brain to autocorrect for the blackouts. Of course, his neurons start overcompensating and he starts having more severe blackouts that lead to murder sprees.

However, it's really one of those movies where there's horror comes from what happens if the procedure does work. There's a great scene where the doctors start playing around with activating electrodes, inflicting different emotional states, as well as their collusion with law enforcement, where both groups see the procedure as a cure for crime in general.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is that the landlord from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Is that the landlord from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

Carol Kane? Yes.