Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hollismason posted:

Paul Ryan. Speaker of the House.

Those pictures will never stop being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Solkanar512 posted:

In case you missed it because you were watching the Russian Grand Prix or sleeping, watching the tea partier and "moderate republican" fight each other on Meet The Press this morning was loving hilarious.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/republican-congressman-we-have-get-our-act-together-n442466

Before I even clicked I knew that would be Dave Brat.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe Joementum had to quit posting as part of his initiation for becoming the new Speaker of the House.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

speaker of the house
quick to catch yer eye
never wants to let a convenient crisis pass him by

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

"I promise to abolish leg day forever. No longer will you have to sputter out some lame excuse when asked what you squat. No longer will you be chided for curling in the squat rack. Squats will be illegal, running is all the lower body work you could ever need"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yoshifan823 posted:

Kraft is a real dick here. There's this weird sort of aggressive tone to him as if he's attacking instead of interviewing. It doesn't help that Obama has a very calm, measured, slow way of talking (probably to keep him from speaking without thinking), which runs counter to how most people want him to answer questions. I'm so used to hearing GOP candidates talk like a machine gun. I was looking at Twitter during the airing this evening, and it was, predictably, split right down between people who hate Obama and think he's evil/a monster/an idiot, and people who think that Obama is cool.

After the interview, there was a story about Glen Ford, who was on Death Row for 30 years before new evidence came out that showed he was innocent. The DA who put him there was very remorseful and will probably think about what he did for the rest of his life, but the current DA, who let him out, is a world-class rear end in a top hat who thinks we need to kill more people in prison, and that innocent people being locked up get justice when they get out, so there's no need to compensate them. Ford was owed $300,000 for his imprisonment, and was denied it because the DA claims he was aware of the robbery that happened the night of the murder he didn't commit, so he didn't deserve it. They did, however, give him a $20 gift card on his way out for his troubles. He got a nice meal of fried chicken, and then a short while later got diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away 3 weeks after he was interviewed for this bit. He died penniless, and his funeral was paid for by donations from his church.

The DA has a history of being terrible, he was featured in a New Yorker article earlier this year. Basically he works in a super racist area, and wants to kill everyone he can who gets convicted of a proper crime, because society is disintegrating. What a fucker.

Is it just me or does CBS seem to be going full on right wing of late? COuld it be just a ploy to keep their primarily older audience happy?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought CBS was the old person network.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

"I promise to abolish leg day forever. No longer will you have to sputter out some lame excuse when asked what you squat. No longer will you be chided for curling in the squat rack. Squats will be illegal, running is all the lower body work you could ever need"

Beaten to the leg day joke.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
CBS has been kinda old right wing people for a while. NBC has been slightly younger than average and slightly left wing, and ABC is pretty much bland centrist.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

It is certainly the one the activists she said it to took

I mean where she told BLM to gently caress off, but nice spin.

So wait you didn't even know she sat down with them again last week to continue discussion of how to fix things and talked about the local vs federal issues? This was about the August meeting where she called them out on not actually wanting to suggest solutions?

At least know your loving facts, man.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Crowsbeak posted:

Is it just me or does CBS seem to be going full on right wing of late? COuld it be just a ploy to keep their primarily older audience happy?

CBS has been that way for at least a few years. The Lara Logan Benghazi hit piece which turned out to be completely false. Bimonthly 100% positive segments on the Koch brothers. Anytime they get a democratic party member on one of their serious shows they suddenly turn into real journalists again.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i think brat might be more insufferable than cruz

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

CBS has been kinda old right wing people for a while. NBC has been slightly younger than average and slightly left wing, and ABC is pretty much bland centrist.

So CBS is like Network Fox News, NBC is Network MSNBC, and ABC is Network CNN. And Fox is the channel that people actually watch, and the CW is ABC Family.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but no one watches CBS so the analogy doesn't hold

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

Yeah but no one watches CBS so the analogy doesn't hold

CBS is literally the most watched network, even though its shows kinda blow. So, holds water even better.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

lol @ anyone who gives a poo poo about network TV news

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Volcott posted:

Here is a website about alternative medicine killing dudes.

http://whatstheharm.net/

I know the guy who did that. I wonder how Krelnik is, haven't seen him in a year or two.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

icantfindaname posted:

lol @ anyone who gives a poo poo about network TV news

The PBS Newshour is pretty drat good, actually.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Crowsbeak posted:

Mitt Romney posted:

CBS has been that way for at least a few years. The Lara Logan Benghazi hit piece which turned out to be completely false. Bimonthly 100% positive segments on the Koch brothers. Anytime they get a democratic party member on one of their serious shows they suddenly turn into real journalists again.

Having a former Fox News VP running the news side of things doesn't helphurt

http://www.thenation.com/article/60-minutes-benghazi-scandal-fox-news-connection/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is a mix of schadenfreude and sad.

Welcome to science-based skepticism! Enjoy your stay.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
I'm genuinely worried about Joementum. Do we know anything about how is he doing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yoshifan823 posted:

CBS is literally the most watched network, even though its shows kinda blow. So, holds water even better.

Wasn't true for their news programs iirc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It seems like Hillary could be immensely more well liked by spending $40 a day on donuts and coffee for the press, so why the hell not?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Because the media are terrible and deserve scorn.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

True story, being a democratic state congressman in a state with a Republican supermajority was John Grisham's day job while he wrote his first novel.

:eng101: Mississippi had Democratic super-majorities in the House and Senate in the 1980s. It was only in 2012 that the Republicans took (almost) total control of statewide offices. Though for such a conservative state, you would have thought it would not have taken so long.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gold and a Pager posted:

:eng101: Mississippi had Democratic super-majorities in the House and Senate in the 1980s. It was only in 2012 that the Republicans took (almost) total control of statewide offices. Though for such a conservative state, you would have thought it would not have taken so long.

Incumbency is a hell of a thing.

In general though, the past decade or so has been noteworthy mostly for the finish of the Southern Strategy at the statewide level. This is bad for the Democrats from a numbers standpoint, but good from a cohesion point of view.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Obummer is giving into the Musselmen and turning our prisons which are supposed to be where you are PUNISHED into mosques for ISIS.

quote:

The nation’s pork producers are in an uproar after the federal government abruptly removed bacon, pork chops, pork links, ham and all other pig products from the national menu for 206,000 federal inmates.

The ban started with the new fiscal year last week.

The Bureau of Prisons, which is responsible for running 122 federal penitentiaries and feeding their inmates three meals a day, said the decision was based on a survey of prisoners’ food preferences:

They just don’t like the taste of pork.

“Why keep pushing food that people don’t want to eat?” asked Edmond Ross, a spokesman for the prison bureau. “Pork has been the lowest-rated food by inmates for several years,” It also apparently got more expensive for the government to buy, although he did not provide specifics.

The National Pork Producers Council isn’t buying it. “I find it hard to believe that a survey would have found a majority of any population saying, ‘No thanks, I don’t want any bacon,'” said Dave Warner, a spokesman for the Washington-based trade association, which represents the nation’s hog farmers.

“We’re going to find out how this came about and go from there,” Warner said. “We wouldn’t rule out any options to resolve this.” He said the association “is still formulating our strategy” to reverse the prison decision, which the industry first learned about Monday when the Fort Worth Star-Telegram called for comment.

For some reason I can't find this important story anywhere other than here, Breitbart, Beck, and other wingnut sites.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course if Obama had increased purchasing of pork this site would be "OBAMA giving criminals unlimited bacon? Why the gently caress do the worst criminals and pedos get awesome bacon every morning?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

Obummer is giving into the Musselmen and turning our prisons which are supposed to be where you are PUNISHED into mosques for ISIS.

For some reason I can't find this important story anywhere other than here, Breitbart, Beck, and other wingnut sites.

I can see why inmates might hate pork because it is one of those things which is delicious if cooked correctly and goddawful if you deviate even slightly from the right way to cook it. It is the Brussels sprouts of meat. I'm sure prison cafeterias are overcooking it and turning it into dry tasteless lumps.

Also prices are going up due to demand from China.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've had it up to here with this chicken-barrel spending.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hollismason posted:

If it helps any, like 80% of the students at Miami University look like that. He's just continuing his idea of a young, hip college student.

[e]: When I was with the Inside Washington program, we saw him in the Capitol building and he walked right past us without as much as a "Hi" or a second glance. Douchebag.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hollismason posted:

What a chicken-legged motherfucker. I bet he squats like 50 pounds or some poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

Before I even clicked I knew that would be Dave Brat.

Brat is such a scumbag. His face alone is reason enough to not trust him, but then he opens his mouth and :gonk:

edit

Of course he has a phd in economics. That explains so much...

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 12, 2015

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

Gun control (beyond the currently existing, flawed yet mostly adequate body of laws)
So adequate that 30,000 people a year are killed with guns.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think with gun control laws people just need to get a handle on the fact that an inconvenience isn't a curtailing of your rights.

Mandatory background check in any gun transaction, is inconvenient but not infringing on your rights to buy, keep, and bear arms.

Eliminating the loophole that says if that check takes too long you can go ahead and buy the gun, is inconvenient, but not a curtailing of your rights unless the federal background service is willfully delaying or not performing checks.

A two week waiting period is inconvenient but not an abridgement of your rights.

Requiring a license would not be an abridgement, unless it could be proved the licensing office was purposefully using its powers to prevent people from getting licenses and therefore guns.

It shouldn't be harder to get a voter id than to get a gun.

Really modest reforms to make sure people buying guns are not violent felons or have domestic abuse records or have a diagnosed but currently untreated serious mental illness seem really rather reasonable. It won't stop shootings but at least it would lower the amount where you look at it and say "why the gently caress was this person able to buy a gun?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I think with gun control laws people just need to get a handle on the fact that an inconvenience isn't a curtailing of your rights.

I'm not really sure I'm comfortable with that statement in the context of what was done to abortion clinics in Texas. They just made it really inconvenient, to the tune of a couple hundred miles of driving, to get an abortion, but it's technically still legal to get one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not really sure I'm comfortable with that statement in the context of what was done to abortion clinics in Texas. They just made it really inconvenient, to the tune of a couple hundred miles of driving, to get an abortion, but it's technically still legal to get one.

Going a couple hundred miles isn't merely an inconvenience for a lot of people, it's an impossibility. Waiting two weeks is an inconvenience most people bear every time they buy something online if they aren't Amazon prime members. It's a reasonable inconvenience. Just like I think having to take a written multiple choice test demonstrating you have an understanding of driving laws is a reasonable inconvenience for a driver's license and would be reasonable for a gun license.

It boils down to intent. Anti abortion laws in Texas that make it extremely inconvenient (an abortion is never convenient) are drafted with the purpose of preventing as many people from obtaining them as they can.

The kind of mandatory background checks and a waiting period would not be for the purpose of preventing law abiding citizens to obtain guns, they would be for the purpose of determining they are law abiding citizens.

But if you were talking about for example some of Chicago's laws forcing gun stores out of the city I would agree with you on those.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think what Texas has done is a way stronger word that inconvenience. Regulating door frames in very specific clinics so that abortions can't be done in wide swathes of the state or making women wait for tests untill the fetus isn't legal to be aborted since it's so far along isn't really the same as a two week waiting period. Republicans are very upfront with the fact that they are trying to make abortion illegal (at least for poor people) not inconvenient.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24b7Yy_Ico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There is no comparison between the legislated "inconvenience" that abortion providers face and the small child throwing a tantrum response to any potential law that even touches some peoples Most Important Toy In The World.

• Locked thread